• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potions and consumables discussion

• Thread starter Dreadlord Galaad
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dreadlord Galaad

Ive my own opinion about that subject, I know that can be influenced by different things: I play as a poisoner but I will never remove it from my main character because I use poisoning since Europa was born and I also use gm alchemist on the same character.
The current potion and consumable system is totally unbalanced. First I will talk about the general system, after I will review each potions and consumables.

The general system suffers from some major flaws.
We are going to see in which case people can use potion or food.

Potions can be used while casting a spell, while a precasted spell is on, while healing or while holding a 2H Bow balanced. But its impossible to use while holding a weapon and a shield or a 2H weapon. For the Apple or Grasp, there isn't any restriction.
We can see there is a trouble with the fact of having a hand free or not to use a potion.

I will just review some of the potions and food in a table with my opinion about it.

Greater Healing Extremely powerful even with the timer, because its too easy to use potions (see above)
Greater Stamina Unbalanced, too easy to get to fullstam and no timer :S
Greater Explosion 30-45 dmg a potion is too powerful, hopefully its "balanced" because of the inaccuracy and of the risk that user kills himself. But its possible to make some 60-70 dmg combo which are far too powerful.
Greater Cure Another powerful and unbalanced potion.
Apples That seems to be balanced because of the timer.

Conclusions:
Potions, apples and grasps should have the same restrictions:
-Impossible to use potions and food while casting a spell
-Impossible to use potions and food with a precasted spell or it will be aborted
-Impossible to heal and use any item in the same time. (Not sure if that can work with healing)
-But people should be able to drink or eat something while holding a 2H weapon or a 1H weapon and a shield.
-Drinking or eating should make users more vulnerable to attack and less able to hit someone.
Why not adding a -45%HCI/-45%DCI malus while using them?

Finally the potions and foods will still be extremely useful and powerful, but there will be less abusive uses.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drinking or eating should make users more vulnerable to attack and less able to hit someone.

lol

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about you leave potions alone.

If anything I think cure should have a timer too, so DP dosnt get cured in one chug...

but thats it.

the rest of your ideas, are well, lame .

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see it now..

*chug heal pot in middle of gank, dci goes -45%*

Wtf I just chugged a heal! Now Im dead..ohh wait I was being ganked by 4 people and they hit me everytime. My 40 points of damage i just healed really ment nothing...cause now i r dead.

No sir, and no again just for later.

D

Dreadlord Galaad

I clearly spot abusive pot users being annoyed by my ideas ... :drama:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh yes, abusive. I guess when I chug a Heal(every ten seconds) cause im getting ganked by 4 or more people is abusive. I guess being able to chug through poison and refresh my stam is abusive....

-Impossible to use potions and food while casting a spell
Okay not that bad, but it would just be plain annoying not to be able to chug while casting. Kinda like that rubberband thing they did while casting, not bad just annyoning as ****.

-Impossible to use potions and food with a precasted spell or it will be aborted
I can understand that one. That dosnt bother me really.

-Impossible to heal and use any item in the same time. (Not sure if that can work with healing)
Not sure on that one.

-But people should be able to drink or eat something while holding a 2H weapon or a 1H weapon and a shield.
I thought you wanted to balance this stuff? You already have to disarm a wep or shield or your two handed wep unless its balanced. I say leave well enough alone with this one.

-Drinking or eating should make users more vulnerable to attack and less able to hit someone.
This was the one that stuck out at me, its the main reason I forgot everything else you posted and just said no to the whole post. This has to be, and im being serious, the worst idea ever in the history of uo. Well okay profeciencies(sp?) and AOS were the worst ideas. But thats up there with them.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lets leave well enough alone I cant beleave you think letting people use a two handed weapon and drink and eat at the same time is even close to a good idea

ok so now you are gonna say but its not fair people with bows can do it well you know what i would gladly give up the balance spot on my bows to get a mod i actualy use and if you want it on your sword at the cost of a mod then i say give it to ya but to just have it for free I dont think so and I think if you are gonna mess with the timers they need increased if anything