• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potential losses due to Sever down

Mezzac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

When the severs went down I was in the middle of moving stuff about in my house - as a result I had several chest unsecure (not certain which or how many).

If my worst nightmare is realised, I think I have two or three of my most important chests unsecured (rare rubble / server rares etc) - If this is correct, the damage to my net worth could/would be substantial - Possibly as high as 200 Million in items.

Now to some this may not seem much, but to me it represents near 11 years of sweat.

Anyone else in same boat??

Also, given the time that the severs have been down, is it likely there we be a revert??

Thanks Mezzac

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they never revert tell where what shard who ever one will go pick it up!!!!!!!!

Hello all,

When the severs went down I was in the middle of moving stuff about in my house - as a result I had several chest unsecure (not certain which or how many).

If my worst nightmare is realised, I think I have two or three of my most important chests unsecured (rare rubble / server rares etc) - If this is correct, the damage to my net worth could/would be substantial - Possibly as high as 200 Million in items.

Now to some this may not seem much, but to me it represents near 11 years of sweat.

Anyone else in same boat??

Also, given the time that the severs have been down, is it likely there we be a revert??

Thanks Mezzac

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If it's just the login server, there will be no revert and you may be in trouble. I've been in and out of game today, and out when the login server went down, so nothing too bad for me.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, I suggest tryingto get ahold of someone who has access to your house and is in game to go secure them or something for you .... doesnt look like the server will be up anytime soon ....

Mezzac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they never revert tell where what shard who ever one will go pick it up!!!!!!!!
I had thought of that, however there was no point - Due to the large scale changes being made and to guard against theft, the building is private at the moment :sad4:

Nice thought - thanks

Mezzac

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thought that may help you to console yourself!

If something weighs more than 255 stones, it can't decay, so if your secures were full of heavy stuff, they'll be fine.

(and that counts for a chest full of lighter stuff too so long as the total weight is more than 255 stones)

btw I didn't test this recently so I can't give a 100% confirmation, but this was certainly the case when I played before, and it's quite a core game mechanic, preventing world scenery from decaying and such-like, so I couldn't believe it would be changed.

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the game is still online.... i been on working skills since the login servers went down...
You might need to find someone to help you still logged in

Mezzac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thought that may help you to console yourself!

If something weighs more than 255 stones, it can't decay, so if your secures were full of heavy stuff, they'll be fine.

Oooo .... Thats very comforting indeed

In relation to the chest with Rubble - 125 pieces of rubble would certainly weigh a little bit more than 255 stones:p

The other chest I am not so sure about - they may not weigh as much as the 255 stones required.

Thanks Herisphere

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hemisphere - they changed that about 2 years ago.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure?

I thought 255 stone weight was one of the things that keeps a lot of stuff in UO from decaying, like the player owned hanging lanterns and other static stuff like Moonglow statues etc.

If you speak from experience of course I won't doubt your word :) but as I understood it this was quite a key part of the game system at one point.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
was offering to go pick up item as i was on still. if I was asking back talk from teenager I would have asked my own !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh? I understand the first half, but the second half is confusing.
Is that what you meant?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are you sure?

I thought 255 stone weight was one of the things that keeps a lot of stuff in UO from decaying, like the player owned hanging lanterns and other static stuff like Moonglow statues etc.
Nope. Theyv'e changed it. I used to have a stack of iron ingots that I didnt' lock down that was lost in that change.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are some glitched items out there...but that's also on their bugged list, so I wouldnt' count on it...heh

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few things you can do to assist in not loosing items.

For heavy weight items you can secure chests every few paces and hop the items between chests. If you disconnect your items will most likely be safe (mid drag can be a factor).

Then of course split the items up and carry them in chunks. For "high value" items I find this the best choice. Moving items with a stealth character is my preferred method to lessen the chances of dying with the items. Another option would be to hold the items while walking. If you loose connection or misplace the items they should return to the container you grabbed them from.

Placing the items in a beetle or pack animal can sometimes help. Depending on the spawn in your neighborhood the beetle can appear just no longer tamed/bonded.

I haven't found a solution for locking down items for display or public use. I usually try to move items none prime time and at least 3 hours before server down.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure?

Nope. Theyv'e changed it. I used to have a stack of iron ingots that I didnt' lock down that was lost in that change.
I lost regs and leather I had in stacks. They could have told us about the change beforehand *grumbles*

BTW some rubble doesn't decay. If it's in a chest tho it's gonna be hosed since the chest will decay (at least 99.9 of all chests will anyways).

Safest way to move secures is to secure empty bags on the ground and leapfrog them that way. It also used to be you could lockdown a container, put an item in it and use the int dec tool to raise the item up. Which would pop it up out of the container. So that was a safe way to lock down a valuable item without it being on the floor unlocked for however long.

L

Lord Drakelord

so were you able to get back in game and get the stuff or was it lost?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, there were a couple of warning posts that it was going to occur, Sarsmi - they just got lost in the clutter. I think it might have been as far back as the lead-in to Mondain's Legacy - a period where even two sets of Publish Notes were even lost by EA (there are no publish notes for Publishes 34 & 35)