• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mobiles Potential Bug: Charybdis Can't Be Summoned?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've put a question mark on this, because with the UNGODLY AMOUNT OF FISHING required to even summon it, I don't have enough data points to be sure. But...

If you summon Charybdis with the Oracle Of The Seas, we worked out it's placed in a spot on the subserver the summoning occured at.

On my first attempt and on my third attempt, I summoned on the Britain sub server, and it placed him in Britain Bay both times. I can't find the exact co-ordinates now from the first try, but it was definitely very close to the third which is pictured below, and within the Guard Zone.

As you can see, I'm also carrying the Oracle Of The Seas. My character is a Legendary Fisher (120 skill) and was using the Fishing Set equipment with full bonus on every cast. Now, I used a total of NINE baits here to pull Charybdis, 5 on the first attempt, and 4 remaining from the second try here, and not once was Charybdis pulled. Every time I got the "Bubbles but no Charybdis" failure message, and a deep sea fish, but he wouldn't rise.

However, on the second attempt, NE off the coast of Moonglow, we got Charybdis on the first cast.

From what I've read of the few who've managed to get bait and Oracle, they seem to be getting him first try too.

So either it's possible to fail the casting, or this particular spot within Britain Bay is invalid. Considering the HUGE grind required to get the items, can you confirm if Charybdis is working as intended, and if it's possible to fail... or that people should avoid using the Oracle on the Britain sub-server if he is genuinely broken when summoned within the bay?

Last edited:

Misk

UO QA Lead
VIP
Stratics Veteran
There is a 25% base chance to spawn Charybdis. I confirmed that he is indeed spawning when you have all the necessary items at the correct location. I had some lucky streaks where I fished him up within 1 or 2 bait uses as well as some incredibly unlucky streaks that took as many as 13 bait uses.

So the answer to your original questions, yes he is spawning and yes it is possible to fail to fish him up.

I did note that the bait bonus from the Fisherman’s set was not being applied to the attempts to fish up Charybdis and have submitted a problem report on this issue.

Thanks for the specific information, that helps me to troubleshoot issues a great deal.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh thanks; of course we were blind to whether the bonus was actually there, the suit indicated it was but... We can look forward to less fishy failure in the future then! Now... about those Void Lobsters! ;) The bait for that, does it actually drop? Because Nimuaq and I have been recording all our fishing quests but we've yet to see any (or hear of anyone on any server who's found even the bait, much less the lobster)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to bump this, but can I just check, are you sure Charbydis on the Britain Sub Server is working? I tried to run an event again on Europa last night and once more, it spawned the Charbydis location right in the centre of Britain Bay, and again all 5 attempts failed.

What's more, according to UOGuide you can generate a location every 7 hours; I spawned him last night (in the bay natch) at 7pm UK time, and decided to test it today. At 18:30, so just under 23 hours later, stood on the West Britain Bank I used the Oracle again and it placed the Charbydis on the exact same spot once more, but didn't use a fish oil charge. So either it's the previous attempt hasn't cleared (in which case UOGuide is wrong) or it's the case that 5 times in a row when I've tried to place Charby on the Britain sub server (3 event attempts, and 2 tries now with the Oracle at different times) it's gone in the bay.

It's possible of course the bait is working, and I've just had a 15 bait bad luck streak... but I'm suspicious, especially as the bait is so teeth grindingly annoying to get!

Osiredon turned up first try with a white net at that spot however, so that at least works! Once I've added a soundtrack to the video, I'll link it here so you can see exactly what we did... and also celebrate 15 years with us!

Last edited: