• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Post-Merge Name Changes...

• Thread starter imported_SimTripps
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_SimTripps

There's got to be a better way to do this lol...

Say I've got two sims on the same account and want to swap their names. I change Sim B's name so as to free that name up... but when I go to change Sim A's name to Sim B's old name, even though we know for a fact that it's not being used by anyone, it says it's already taken (database still has Sim B's old name in it's records).

Our current system requires us to wait until the database is purged before the name will be available - we never know exactly WHEN this purge takes place. This is already proving to be total sim chaos lately with the merge of all cities, and with all our dear 'legacy' names being changed from Sim A to Sim A999629 left, right and center lol... Not to mention neighbourhoods - some are also getting the numbers after the name too....

Suggestion: Why can't sim names be changed as easily as property names? At least until soon after the final merges take place? e.g., We can change our property names, and they're immediately available to be used by someone else - why can't changing/assuming sim names be just as simple?

Also, why can't we have several sims with the same name in EA Land? We all have unique user IDs - this should be the key identifier for the server/database admins, not a sim name..

Inquiring minds lol....

G

It does seem strange, and unnecessarily cumbersome to have to wait for a mass purge of names. In other games you can delete a character, and reuse the same name for a new character seconds later.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There's got to be a better way to do this lol...

Say I've got two sims on the same account and want to swap their names. I change Sim B's name so as to free that name up... but when I go to change Sim A's name to Sim B's old name, even though we know for a fact that it's not being used by anyone, it says it's already taken (database still has Sim B's old name in it's records).

Our current system requires us to wait until the database is purged before the name will be available - we never know exactly WHEN this purge takes place. This is already proving to be total sim chaos lately with the merge of all cities, and with all our dear 'legacy' names being changed from Sim A to Sim A999629 left, right and center lol... Not to mention neighbourhoods - some are also getting the numbers after the name too....

Suggestion: Why can't sim names be changed as easily as property names? At least until soon after the final merges take place? e.g., We can change our property names, and they're immediately available to be used by someone else - why can't changing/assuming sim names be just as simple?

Also, why can't we have several sims with the same name in EA Land? We all have unique user IDs - this should be the key identifier for the server/database admins, not a sim name..

Inquiring minds lol....

[/ QUOTE ]
Curious... I have done exactly as you describe with no problem.

I

imported_SimTripps

Throw some of your luck my way, Donovan lol...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Throw some of your luck my way, Donovan lol...

[/ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it - maybe not "exactly".
I needed to delete 2 sims from TC3 before EA Land opened so that I could create a new production city sim.
So I changed the name of the 2 sims, deleted them, created a sim in.... BF, I think, then re-created the 2 deleted sims in TC3 with their original names.
Of course, after that, the devs made changes that made the deletion unnecessary, but what the heck.

V

ValarieNicoleBF

Not to mention having someone merge and your name getting the numbers after it, just because ... well I don't know, their older? They merged so they get the name? I had my name as Valarie I log in and it's Valarie (insert numbers here). So, I had to change it to Valarie Nicole...I was gonna use that name when my BV sims merged...now what? lol