• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poisoning for a noob question!

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Poisoning takes the place of Tactics in determining the probability to perform poison Special Moves - These are Infectious Strike and Serpent Arrow. However, you must have a weapon skill of at least 70 to activate primary move weapons and at least 90 to activate secondary move weapons.

Do I not need tactics at all if I gm poisoning?
I have 2 toons with 120 tactics and ive got 1 with poisoning also at 100, I'm a little confused here because it says "takes the place of tactics"
This is for general PVM not PvP because of arch cure and such to remove it easy by another player.

Thanks guys :D

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I believe it only replaces the tactics requirement preforming the special moves. You'd still need Tactics to boost your chance of actually landing the strike from my experience its really only useful in PvM, and script bot hunting, unless you can gimp out your template enough to allow both it an tactics.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Depends on your template. Tactics will allow you to do more damage with your weapon. You also need it if you want to perform other weapon specials and not just infectious strike

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poisoning is a tertiary skill, used to augment primary skills independent of tactics, so there is no tactics requirement for using the weapon special poison. Tactics in itself, is a secondary skill used to augment primary skills. Tactics will not increase your chances to hit a target, it will only increase the damage done by your weapon skill.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i'm not mistaken they also nerfed it so you cannot hit with Lethal poison anymore, Deadly is the max now and if your planning on using Serpent strike on bows then its max poison skill and insanely high Dex required to have it actually hit.
I used to use it but after advice from Warrior forum I now just carry Shuriken with the JoaT, just as effective but saves me 100 skill points.
Only thing Poisoning is good for now is a boost to the poison resistance (again pointless against peerless or boss mobs).

Used to be an excellent skill but again PvP'ers cried so the whole skill got nerfed and not just the PvP aspect.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
If i'm not mistaken they also nerfed it so you cannot hit with Lethal poison anymore, Deadly is the max now and if your planning on using Serpent strike on bows then its max poison skill and insanely high Dex required to have it actually hit.
I used to use it but after advice from Warrior forum I now just carry Shuriken with the JoaT, just as effective but saves me 100 skill points.
Only thing Poisoning is good for now is a boost to the poison resistance (again pointless against peerless or boss mobs).

Used to be an excellent skill but again PvP'ers cried so the whole skill got nerfed and not just the PvP aspect.
I use the smuggler's knife to steal things and its special attack is poison so i was just planning on testing it I guess, I'm still fairly new so trying everything at least once.
Do you need ninjitsu to throw shurikens?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Human 'Jack of all trades" innate 20 skill points is enough to throw, although you'll need GM poisoning to make the poisoned Shurikens (I have this on my crafter Alchemist char)
Obviously GM Ninja makes the odds of hitting better and you can throw while holding a 2 handed weapon without having "to have a free hand".
It's a fun skill but no longer a usefull one with the amount of skills we have to pack into templates now to be considered "effective".

Defo try it out once anyway ;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I recall it's kinda fun while you are disarmed to still be able to attack... they often don't see that coming...

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I believe it only replaces the tactics requirement preforming the special moves. You'd still need Tactics to boost your chance of actually landing the strike from my experience its really only useful in PvM, and script bot hunting, unless you can gimp out your template enough to allow both it an tactics.
the chance to hit goes off your HCI, i use to run nox fencer thieves in factions and i would land a lethal every time on the first hit and all my guys run 0 Tactics.
so as long as you run 45 HCI you should be fine.
i havnt tried any of those guys in a while but im pretty sure its still the same.
i know my nox fencer mage has 0 tactics and he hits defensively with his nox 100% of the time as soon as anyone attacking is within range.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I tried poisoning on my ninja briefly in PvM.

Would have loved it to work better, but it was only useful against lower level monsters really.

Higher level seems to either be immune to poison or pretty much instantly casts cure.

Disappointing.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't know if I agree with you here Slayvite. I find poisoning to be quite effective in PVM on a mage, it still works as a great AoE against large groups of mobs and is cheaper to use than earthquake. In pvp it is a very versatile skill, able to be applied to both weapon and spell alike.

At 80 (poisoning) skill there is an 80% chance to Lethal poison (using a weapon), at 100 skill a 100% chance. Mages on the other hand only have a 10% success rate to cast lethal at 100 skill.

If I am wrong on any of the above, apologies...having been away for sometime does leave me out of touch with any rule changes made in my absence.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried poisoning on my ninja briefly in PvM.

Would have loved it to work better, but it was only useful against lower level monsters really.

Higher level seems to either be immune to poison or pretty much instantly casts cure.

Disappointing.
Some of the *improved AI* was overdone IMO....as you mentioned, disappointing.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if I agree with you here Slayvite. I find poisoning to be quite effective in PVM on a mage, it still works as a great AoE against large groups of mobs and is cheaper to use than earthquake. In pvp it is a very versatile skill, able to be applied to both weapon and spell alike.

At 80 (poisoning) skill there is an 80% chance to Lethal poison (using a weapon), at 100 skill a 100% chance. Mages on the other hand only have a 10% success rate to cast lethal at 100 skill.

If I am wrong on any of the above, apologies...having been away for sometime does leave me out of touch with any rule changes made in my absence.
I agree with you, poisoning as a complimentary skill for mages works so much better than a warrior with poisoned weapons.
I think it's the variety of spells that work well with Poisoning.

It's a shame they only ended up nerfing the melee poisoning because they lacked insight into how PvP actually works.......I swear no Dev plays UO...... ;)

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I agree with you, poisoning as a complimentary skill for mages works so much better than a warrior with poisoned weapons.
I think it's the variety of spells that work well with Poisoning.

It's a shame they only ended up nerfing the melee poisoning because they lacked insight into how PvP actually works.......I swear no Dev plays UO...... ;)
As a melee with 80 poisoning, you have 80% chance of inflicting lethal poison. IMO poisoning is pretty good for pvp, especially since Greater Cure potions no longer have a 100% chance to cure lethal poison. It is used by a variety of templates including mages, dexers, and hybrids.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tactics does not increase your chance to hit. Tactics increases the damage .