• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poems.. Books... Etc

• Thread starter Mattitracks
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Mattitracks

So I don't post on many message boards and figured the group of people here might have some interesting replies.

I grew up rather hard and sometimes my mates would prefer to talk about horse than a good read! Good people nonetheless.

So are there any particular books or poems that really impacted your life and helped shape who you are today? Personally I would have to say Siegfried Sassoon's work really impacted me. He's most well known I suppose for "Suicide in the Trenches"

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you’ll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-------

So, anyone want to reply and give up the works they fancy most?
I'm always looking for something new to inspire me. Lord knows I need every bit of inspiration I can get with what I do for a living....

S

SwordBlaze

Good Thread!

Music has had a HUGE impact on my life but you didn't ask for music lol.

Let's see.....books...... The Sword of Truth novels.......Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason <-- this book was a mind trip IMO changed how I viewed parenting and totally changed how I will father. Uuuh I have read a lot of books. But those stick out most in my mind ATM.

EDIT: What you do for a living? If you don't mind me askin?