• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Please read* FAQ & Sticky spring cleaning :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's time for a really serious spring cleaning here but I don't want to suddenly tear up the stickies without a word so here's what I propose. I welcome input, thoughts and dare I say it volunteers.

Ok, here goes.

I'm proposing we try to combine the stickies into 2 - yes 2 threads.

Firstly a new FAQ with all the links we usually throw at new visitors and also answers to the questions we're getting most of the time. Combining also the info from the other info threads we've got stickied.

Second thread - pet specific info for the pets we use. Not just the top few, I would like to have a different pet up for discussion say each week to cover some of the older and less uber pets too.

The first post in the pet thread will be an index with a post below it for each pet. Basically we'd build a tamer specific guide for each pet. For example uses for each pet, what stats to look for, any taming tips and info like their skill caps, what they lose after taming and specific taming tactics. Coloured pet charts will be included in the appropriate pet section.

Still with me? :D

Ok, so let me know what you think, then I'm up for suggestions of what to include in the FAQ additions and so on. Some of the existing stickies need updating, but it's probably easier to add corrections at the end of the sticky threads concerned and then pull the good bits into the new FAQ.

Wenchy

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds great Wenchy. Let me know what I can do to help! In the meantime, I'll work on a list of questions I've asked since becoming a tamer and forward it to you via PM.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a great plan. Holler if you need help.

Edited to add: Do you think we might need a third sticky for known problems or bugs?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gortman thanks a ton for that list, I'm still working through it but I really appreciate that!

Tina, that's a good point about bugs n stuff. Though if we don't have a huge list it's possible I can fit it in the main FAQ.

I'll try and get a barebone list for the FAQ done in the next day or so, RL work permitting, then we can see how it looks.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, the FAQ so far is up here. I haven't prettied it up and there are lots of notes in among it, but that's the combination of my list and Gortman's that I have for now. There are some easy and obvious sections to do and also some more involved info to pull together. It was just getting messy on the notepad so I figured it was easier to work from a post ;)

I tried to list things in a logical way - training templates then getting a pet and hunting with it etc. Does that make sense? Or should I go alphabetical?

Also, where there were Stratics guides to cover things, I've just put those links in by themselves for now. I didn't want to clutter up the list with unfinished links to forum guides, but I haven't forgotten them!

Now I need coffee heh. Tomorrow I'll get started on updating and slotting in more of our old sticky info and I'll try to list the bits I'd like help with.

Wenchy

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wenchy, looks really good to me. Thanks for doing this - I think it will be a big help, especially to new tamers! Let me know how I can help. I'll be out of town for about a week starting 5/1, but can help once I'm back.

M

marlev

I tried to list things in a logical way - training templates then getting a pet and hunting with it etc. Does that make sense?
It does make sense :)

Personaly I cant wait for this section:
Hunting with your pets

* Which pets work best for situation X (Doom, Abyss, Peerless Y, etc.)?
* What are some popular pet combinations? (Rune/Bake, Bake/Bake, NM/Bake, NM/Rune, etc.).
* Tips for keeping yourself and your pets in one piece
* Pet Summoning Balls – how and where do they work?
Would be great (if possible) to add a miniguide about Ilsh spawns beacouse paragons makes it a bit tricky. What I mean is that someone might be able to hunt lets say Blood Elementals without any problems and than BAH! Paragon.. OOooOooo. I hope you know what I mean. :p

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FAQ help required

Ok, I'm going to tackle as much as I can of the FAQ, but I could use some help ;) I've indicated the bits I'm tackling just now and areas in red aren't allocated to anyone yet, so up for grabs.

If you fancy tackling something, drop a note in this thread so we know who's writing what. If you don't, two of us can be writing the same things unnecessarily.

Once you're done writing something, post it here and I'll add it to the main FAQ.

If you don't feel you can cover a topic yourself, you can still help by reading guides as they're posted here and giving input/feedback on them. Everyone's human and we can all forget things, so be kind!

So here's the list - I'll put names alongside stuff as we have volunteers. Bits with red text still need writers ;)

Skill Training Guides -

* Some tips for efficiently training your tamer - Wenchy
* Using skill increase items for taming skills - Wenchy
• What to tame guide for training - Wenchy
• Animal Lore training guide - Wenchy
* Vet Training guide - Wenchy

Taming Aggressive Creatures

Evaluating pets - what makes a good pet?
Note I'm not asking for a "mares must have x" type guide, but something that works for all pets in general eg explain why stats are important, resists or stats/skills, skills over GM on specific pets - which of those are important? [NB: Pet specific "must haves" will be listed in the specific creature info sticky thread]

Basic taming methods
(Lead taming, using invisibility and paralyze spells) - Dreadlord Lestat has done the lead taming guide, I should be able to cover the rest - Wenchy;)

* Supporting skills - Herding, Peacemaking etc
* Common tamer macros
* Using Honor and Ethereal Voyage [Including how do I work up honor if I am a tamer? Do I gain honor faster in Felucca than in other facets?]
* How do I get a freshly tamed creature to the stable when I'm in a location where gating is not possible?

Pet Training Guides
* Quick n dirty forum post version -
Wenchy

* Understanding skill and stat caps - before/after taming and skill caps after training

Pet Care & Handling

* Transferring Pets
* Commanding Pets and Pet Loyalty [What is pet loyalty anyway? What should I do if my pet is no longer “wonderfully happy”? My pet just went wild! Why did that happen?]

Hunting with your pets

* Which pets work best for situation X (Doom, Abyss, Peerless Y, etc.)?
* What are some popular pet combinations? (Rune/Bake, Bake/Bake, NM/Bake, NM/Rune, etc.).
* Tips for keeping yourself and your pets in one piece
* Pet Summoning Balls – how and where do they work?

Quests & Zoo collection

* Moonglow Zoo guide
* Tasty Treats and Irresistably Tasty Treats (Thepem and Zosilem quests in Ter Mur).

Bugs and glitches that tamers should know about
Please make any suggestions for this section ;)

General Q & A's

* Which creatures must be beaten into subjugation in order to tame? - Lestat Completed
* What does it mean when I try to tame an animal and I get the message, “You seem to have angered the beast!”? - Lestat in progress
* What is pack instinct and which tameables have it? - Lestat in progress
* I tried to tame something but I get a message saying I can't tame it! (champ spawn critters) - Lestat in progress
* Where can I find and tame a dread warhorse? - Lestat in progress

Vet Q's to include in Vet training guide - Wenchy

* How can I use my own pets fighting each other to train this skill?
* What are enhanced bandages and where can I get them?
* How much vet skill do I need in order to resurrect a pet?
* I understand a pet loses skill points when resurrected. Is the point loss the same regardless of who resurrects it (self, another player, or vet NPC)?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[Cross posting this from another thread in case anyone missed it. I'm just about to slot in new pages over in the main FAQ thread so this guide can move over ;)

Wenchy]

Lead Taming

By Dreadlord Lestat
Lead taming is a taming technique used on aggressive mobs. Lead taming is not difficult but can be rather painful. You need to make sure that you are prepared mentally and physically before attempting to tame them or you may find your world turning to black and white while you run around looking for a healer. OoOOooOOo!!!

Step #1

Make sure that you have enough taming to tame your prey. The closer you are to the minimum tame level, the longer it will take to get off successful attempts. You can use power scrolls and skill jewelry to bump up your taming to make it easier and smoother. You also need to make sure that you have stable room for your new pet. Too often, someone sees a must have pet and forgets to check their stable before taming it and then they are out of room and cannot pull a pet out of the stable to make room for their new pet due to followers. You can also use power scrolls and jewelry to bump up stable room but make sure you make room before the next time you pull a pet out.

Step #2

You will need to make sure that you come prepared. I would advise bringing plenty of greater cures and heal potions. I would also suggest bring a few trapped boxes for when they decide to cast paralyze on you. If your tamer that uses healing, then bandages are a must. If you use ninjitsu then smoke bombs are great for difficult situations as are invisibility potions. High resist armor will also be a great help. You can build a set that is high in all resists or piece together certain resists only if you limit your taming to certain mobs. The last thing that I would recommend is equipping a balanced (spell channeling if you can find one with both) bow. The bow will keep you from auto attacking the mob. If you damage the mob through auto attack it can disrupt the tame attempt. With a balanced bow equipped, you will still be able to chug pots.

Step #3

It is always good to bring an ally or two, especially when attempting to tame the big nasties like Greater Dragons, Reptalons, and Cu Sidhe’s. You never know when you will need an emergency heal, invis, or get hit by lag. A friend can keep you alive or distract your mob while you heal up. A bard can be your best friend. Contrary to popular belief, there is no penalty for taming a mob that is peaced or discorded. Some tamers refuse to tame a peaced mob because they enjoy the challenge but they will rarely object to it being discorded as it greatly reduces the damage you take. You may also want a friend to beat down the mob for you a bit before attempting to tame it.

Step #4

Now you are ready to go out and try your luck. You have to be within 3 tiles to start your tame attempt. Once you see “you begin to tame the creature” you know you were successful in starting the tame, now you need to start walking away and it will follow while your attempt continues. Make sure that you stay within 7 tiles of the mob but out of reach of physical attacks. There is not much you can do about magical attacks other than wear your high resist armor and have friends casting heal on you. Also keep in mind that you need to stay in sight of the mob, don’t go around corners and try to keep away from obstacles that can get between you and the mob. You may get lucky and tame it on the first attempt or it might take many attempts. If the attempt fails, just rinse and repeat until you see those magical words “it seems to accept you as master” Now you are done, feed your new friend to begin the bonding process. I always do it right away as I have seen too many people stable them immediately after and forget to feed them costing you a week of extra bonding time since you failed to start it the first time. Once it has bonded, unstable it and take it on a dungeon tour!!

J

Jlapps

Wenchkin, I'd be happy to do supporting skills, pet care and loyalty, and hunting with pets. I don't know crap about pet summoning balls though, except they summon pets and use powder of translocation.

I think I have a good handle on templates and what pet to use where though :) a lot of that stuff makes sense to me.