• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Chivalry] please help with PVM template

K

keidzhii

Hi there. I`m new to ultima online. i created my first character and decided to be a paladin. What kind of skills and stats do i need for good hunting? thank you. :drool:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hi there. Welcome to UO.

Chivalry is a versatile skill that can enhance many templates. A simple melee/paladin character is a good place to start. He might look something like this:

120 melee (swords, fencing, or mace fighting)
120 parry
120 anatomy
120 tactics
120 healing
100 chivalry

A samurai/paladin is also a good option, as the bushido skill allows you to parry without a shield.

120 melee (swords, fencing, or mace fighting)
120 parrying
120 bushido
95 anatomy
90 tactics
90 healing
75 chivalry

Melee characters are straight forward to play and a good way to become accustomed to the game, but they are somewhat under powered compared to some PvM templates. One of the most powerful PvM templates is the paladin/archer (known as the "ABC archer," or archery/bushido/chivalry archer).

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 115
Anatomy 100
Healing 100
Resist 90
Chiv 75

I hope this gets you started. Good luck. :)

C

Connor_Graham

Syrus, while you're 100% correct, any of those templates would take him quite some time to be able to complete as the power scolls would cost millions, and the last 2 templates are both over 700 skill points, necessitating having to spend quite a few mil on imbued jewels to reach the total needed. As a new player he wouldn't have the ability to farm the Abyss for the ingredients himself.

To the OP- Basically take any of those 3 templates and drop anything higher than 110 down to 110. 110 scrolls are very cheap and are very viable skill point wise for a new player and the creatures you'd be fighting.

If you decide to try the route of an Archer, here is a link to a list of some templates you might want to give a try:

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30540

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yeah, that's true. 120 is something to aspire to. :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
There are two things that I dislike about this template. First, it recommends that you invest points into resisting spells. For a purely PvM toon, there are other ways that I would rather invest my skill points - for example, in bushido. Second, it recommends that you train up focus. This is just terrible advice. If you have problems with mana shortage, train meditation up a bit, but whatever you do, don't put 100 skill points into focus.

K

keidzhii

where could i found info about armor ? i mean which would be good armor for PVM for my template. thanks

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
where could i found info about armor ? i mean which would be good armor for PVM for my template. thanks
any med-able armor would be best (example leather)shoot for all 70s suit
if you are on ls shoot me a pm and i will be glad to make you a good starter suit! :eyes:

N

northwoodschopper

There are two things that I dislike about this template. First, it recommends that you invest points into resisting spells. For a purely PvM toon, there are other ways that I would rather invest my skill points - for example, in bushido. Second, it recommends that you train up focus. This is just terrible advice. If you have problems with mana shortage, train meditation up a bit, but whatever you do, don't put 100 skill points into focus.
if he's truely a beginner, it's probably best he uses resisting spells at first. he won't have the experience to counter those spells yet, and could end up wasting a lot of insurance gold. for beginners, getting cursed, frequently poisoned, and paralyzed, as well as mana drained will lead to many death situations vs spellcasters (especially necro spellcasters). vets can easily go without resisting spells, partly due to experience, and partly due to superior equipment. beginners generally won't have that luxury.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome aboard.

You come aboard at a peculiar time in our history, when we are faced with the qualified triumph that is SA, and the discouraging disaster that was the recent layoffs.

We're also in-between big picture scenarios/event cycles, so it's a pretty decent time to build up a new character; little chance of suddenly showing up someplace and being one-hit killed by some invasion monster. (Though sometimes being unexpectedly one-hit killed is a fun "feature" of this game.)

At any rate, as to templates. You will get a lot of different answers. The flexibility this game offers is one of its most important strengths.

My suggestion is as follows.

Shoot for the following simple, basic template:

100 Weapon Skill (I don't think it matters too much which one, but my favorite will ALWAYS be Swordsmanship)
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Parry
100 Chivalry
100 Focus

The most controversial part of my advice is going to be the inclusion of Focus. Focus (also known as Battle Focus) gives you mana regeneration and stamina regeneration. There's also Meditation, which only regenerates mana, but does so super-fast. I'd recommend not bothering with that yet; it limits the armor you can use and you don't need to be worrying about that as a new player!

Many veteran players are used to relying on items to compensate for not having Focus or Meditation, but you won't have those items for a good while. So I would tell you to have Focus for a good long while, until you learn like us vets to be almost entirely dependent upon items.

Work the new player/skill raising quests in New Haven. Look on the ground near the New Haven Bank and Luna Bank for equipment you can use. Don't be afraid to ask questions, here and in-game. If you roleplay, roleplay someone young and inexperienced at first (something like: farmer's son, just turned 18, decided adventuring was better than farming); some players will respond to that, especially other roleplayers, and be a little more helpful than they normally would.

Once you've done the quests, wander New Haven island, and/or find a way to the Anti-Virtue Dungeons (also called the Dungeons of Sin or the Legacy Dungeons), and hunt items called Virtue Artifacts.

This is an item-based game; the hunt for decent items will be as important to you as will be gaining skills and stats.

Again, welcome aboard.

-Galen's player