• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please help me understand this stuff....

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bard Mastery's, I don't understand them... Let me explain:

According to Publish 67, back in 2010:
Inspire:
HCI/SDI: 4 - 16 (Base)
- +1% Bonus per 10 points in a secondary skill above GM. (So thats up to 22% HDI/SDI for a 4x Legendary Bard) (PvP Cap is still 15% SDI)
DI = 20 - 40% (Base) + 3% Per 10 points in secondary skill above GM (58% at 4x Legendary)
So this is saying that by using Inspire you increase your HCI and SDI by "some" amount. Well this is nice except that Bards don't always "hit" anything. Am I to assume that Inspire will help Bards that are ALSO Mages or Mele fighters? Is that what this does?

I'll move on to the rest of the Bard Mastery's after I get this one straight.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have used it in groups and with my pets mainly but it will increase both yes

go out with a pet or with your spells and attack without it running then attack with it running and you will see a increase

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have used it in groups and with my pets mainly but it will increase both yes

go out with a pet or with your spells and attack without it running then attack with it running and you will see a increase
Hi Storm, and thx much for weighing-in here. So, the HCI referenced to here is gained by a pet (say a pet owned by someone in my party) and will use the additional HCI gained from my mastery "song" in it's attack?

And if anyone in my "party" is casting, then their spells receive the additional SDI?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hi Storm, and thx much for weighing-in here. So, the HCI referenced to here gained by a pet (say a pet owned by someone in my party) will use the additional HCI gained from my mastery "song" in it's attack?

And if anyone in my "party" is casting, then their spells receive the additional SDI?
yes you party sdi should go up

Not 100% sure if it extends to party pets

keep in mind though the more people/pets covered the more it costs you to keep up I believe that was changed from 1 per 2 to 1 per 5!

also keep in mind you need line of site I am pretty sure

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I use this a lot with my GD and for sure see a difference add to that disco and it rocks

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes you party sdi should go up

Not 100% sure if it extends to party pets

keep in mind though the more people/pets covered the more it costs you to keep up I believe that was changed from 1 per 2 to 1 per 5!
Ok - does the "people/pets covered" refer to all people and pets that are currently fighting the MOB that I targeted with my mastery - or just the ones that are actually in my party?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
it effects the peoplE/pets in your party for the peace/provo masteries not sure on disco mastery

I think the disco is target orientated meaning it only effects the target (except the explosion damage can be caused by anyone damaging them i think) not sure poo id the disco expert

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent clarification, Storm - thx again... Now, if you don't mind, let me pick your brain here again...

May I?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol you can try I am just redoing my bard after a long vacation so i am not as knowing as poo ....so if i make a mistake he can come correct me

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol you can try I am just redoing my bard after a long vacation so i am not as knowing as poo ....so if i make a mistake he can come correct me
:) thx Storm, I'm not looking for "perfection", just decent advice...

Here's my situation:

I don't know anyone here on Pac shard anymore, all my friends "bailed" back around 2000. But I just can't give the game up, it's "possibilities" are so endless for "things to do"... So I pretty much play "alone".

However, now that I can play in 2 client windows, I've started playing 2 accounts at once. What I've been doing lately is trying to take advantage of my Bard mastery's in this situation. In one window I have my Legendary Bard (120x4) and in the other window is my Tamer (also Legendary) with her 3.9 GD. This is all "well and good" except for the small fact that I really don't know what the h*ll I'm doing with these mastery's.

I used some of my cleanup points to get a Bard Virtuoso's Suit and imbued it furthur for MR and resists, luck, etc.

So here we are (me in the 1st window and my Tamer/GD in the 2nd). I've been using the Disco Mastery's on the Unbound EV's in Shame. The thing is, I can't see that much difference in how long it takes the GD to kill the UEV's whether I'm using Tribulation/Despair or not helping her at all...

So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here or if (in this situation) I should be using a different mastery here????

What would you be doing in this situation?

:(

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is what i use

My tame bard runs disco/provo i run the provo mastery inspire and disco the target

now this falls into the catagory of a party members pet so try this on something like clay golem

target the clay with gd and do not have inspire running see what damage it does then command you pet to stop and follow you then try running the inspire mastery then command the gd to attack the same golem again you should see the damage go up by a few points per attack

also there are some rules about multiple bards and stacking and i dont think the same masteries stack

hope that makes sense

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
so with your bard being seperate from your tamer not sure on the tamers pets so you will have to test it but i think this should work as long as you are within range

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
with the disco masteries running you are keeping the target monster from doing as much to your pet/you and doing some damage (maybe not much)

I am not a big fan of the disco masteries and maybe i am doing it wrong also with them but they are good for allowing a bard to do direct damage

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... My tame bard runs disco/provo i run the provo mastery inspire and disco the target ....
So, basically, you use Inspire to increase the HCI of your GD? Correct?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
yes and it should increase its spell damages also

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
keep in mind the unbounds take a while to kill no matter what with a tamer also if you use discord masteries are you using a slayer I believe they increase the damage you do

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
keep in mind the unbounds take a while to kill no matter what with a tamer also if you use discord masteries are you using a slayer I believe they increase the damage you do
I do have an Elemental Slayer flute, but does the damage modifier apply to a party member's pet?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
no just the damage from disco mastery direct damage from my understanding

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
aslo when using the disco mastery you want to use the context menu from the book and change it to whatever is the lowest resist of the creature you are using it on

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aslo when using the disco mastery you want to use the context menu from the book and change it to whatever is the lowest resist of the creature you are using it on
Yes, I finally found that one out. I've switched the damage type to Poison for the UEV's, but don't really notice their health changing much when I use that disco mastery.

So far, it seems that the mastery's don't add much to my bard's "contribution" to the mob kill.... But then I haven't tried anything other than the Disco mastery... I'll try the Provo Invigorate (or is it Inspire) and see if I can see a difference there...

Z

Zero Day

Always keep the target discorded to maximize your damage.

As for the masteries;

The peace /provo masteries affect party members and their pets.
Peace masteries do not require line of sight. They have to remain in range. ( I think its 8 tiles)

Disco masteries require line of sight to initiate, but will continue even if the target is no longer in line of sight as long as they are in range.

Your setup with disco masteries in combination with a tamer are probably not the most effective.

Tribulation can add bonus damage once per second and despair does a set amount of damage for 2 seconds. Your tamer's dragon is probably not dealing out significant amounts of damage so getting the bonus from tribulation is probably not going to be that significant.
With despair I think the max damage for a 4x bard is close to 90 per tick(vs Monsters), if you use the correct slayer you can raise that to 180.
Both together would get you close to 315.
So even then your numbers will be less than what any paladin will be putting out. And that would be for a huge mana upkeep cost.

You'd probably notice better results if you instead went with provo mastery and ran inspire and invigorate.

The damage bonus from inspire would bump the dragons output significantly, and you should keep the dragon discorded. You can also toss in an ev or 2 if your suit and template can still regen mana with both running.
(You don't really need to be running invigorate but the extra strength and int contribute slightly to the greater dragon's melee and spell damage respectively)

So if you just kept inspire up as a minimum you should notice improved results.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
"You'd probably notice better results if you instead went with provo mastery and ran inspire and invigorate."

Exaclty what i do with the critter discoed

and the healing with the provo mastery works great with multiple pets out
When running my mares together I tend to run both masteries so they are always being healed and each physical hit and each spell they both cast get bonuses also ! so with pets like this it works awesome

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I would love to try this with 5 osties out imaging them all getting 24% damage increase each plus the pack damage they do ?

Z

Zero Day

Well you get 22 HCI at 4x 120 , I think the damage increase is 40% to base damage (I think its closer to 64 at 4x but not sure)
And you'd also get the 15% Damage modifier of whatever damage they are doing
in addition to pack bonus.

I suspect that would be pretty freakin sick.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so 2hrs ago I decided that I was tired of "thinking" (oh, btw, I spend more freekin time "thinking" about how to do stuff in UO - than I do thinkin about how to do stuff in RL.... :) Hmmm, that made me smile... ) anyway, I decided to watch a movie, so I did...

But thought I'd check this thread (yea this one, the one that made me tired of thinking) again - and WALA.... I'm greeted with this GREAT STUFF from you 2, and I know I'm gonna sleep better tonight...

Cheers :thumbup:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and you - Zero Day - would you mind too much if I asked how you came to decide on your "name"..... ?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I would love to try this with 5 osties out imaging them all getting 24% damage increase each plus the pack damage they do ?
i do this all the time.

works like a dream.

only draw back is the other spawn kill them in one hit.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if no one minds ill add a little here.

keep in mind that with the prov masteries that if your party members OR PETS are ALREADY at cap for HCI, DI or SDI the mastery will not push them over.

so if your party has pimped out sampires they will see no improvement from the spell being on at all, and they will in fact be eating your mana faster for being in the party.

just something to think on.

also, switch up your slayer to WIND ELEMENTAL.
youll see a big difference there.
direct slayer trumps super slayer now a days.

so, i too farm UEV's very heavily, and ive actually switched things up a bit.
ive noticed that my tamer, regardless of what pets i use, just cant come close to the damage output that my warrior can do. This is nothing new, the game over the last couple years has changed to make it harder and slower for tamers to take over the new critters.
but i used my disco tamer with my pure bard backing him up with vollems for the first couple weeks, not im using my warrior with either my disco tamer or my bard as back up.
either way, ya need the disco on.
that is a given.
without the disco on killing anything in game is like pulling weasels teeth. (thats very hard to do, those damn teeth are so small!)
and be using a wind ele slayer.
gives ya extra ummmffff.

then just kill them.
there is no fast way to kill a UEV.
ive been watching and so far no one ive seen can kill them faster then i have been so im fairly confident that ive trimmed the fat enough that ive got it down to the fastest way possible.

on pac, eh.
i wonder how my macer there is looking..... i could make up a wind ele weapon and come in and show ya i guess.

Z

Zero Day

Good note there on the damage cap poo.
Though to clarify (or muddify), previously if a character was already at the item caps (SDI /HCI/DI) you didnt see a bonus, now however with the bonus modifier damage(1-15%), as long as you are under the 300% damage bonus you'll notice an increase. So for example in PvP where SDI cap is 15, a mage under the effects of inspire and already having 15 SDI from items, will notice a small increase in their damage.

Or in the case of PvM a warrior with 100% DI from items, and a super slayer (200%)would notice an increase whereas a directed slayer would already be at cap(300%) and wouldn't notice it.
Hope I didn't confuse the issue there.

Name derives from the phrase "Zero Day" exploit. Basically its a known bug or weakness in the system which there is no fix for and can be exploited at will.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if no one minds ill add a little here....
also, switch up your slayer to WIND ELEMENTAL. direct slayer trumps super slayer now a days..
I assume you meant to say AIR Elemental here...

either way, ya need the disco on.
that is a given...
Just to be sure we're not confusing the Disco Mastery "spells" with just plain Disco, I'm assuming by the above you're talking about just plain Disco'ing the critter....

there is no fast way to kill a UEV...
I know it takes my tamer's GD about 20 mins to kill a disco'd one, so I agree with you here for sure... Btw, there's a thread over on UHall where slayer888 claims to be killing UEV's in under 2 mins. Here

on pac, eh...i wonder how my macer there is looking..... i could make up a wind ele weapon and come in and show ya i guess.
I'd love to watch your macer at work on one of these...

:D

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have seen sampires take one down in about 4 min or maybe even less

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think what we are talking about here is a 'guys 6 inches' vs a 'girls 6 inches'

while we are talking about the same thing the measurements are VASTLY different.

so im sure if we went and watched his 2 minutes it would be closer to 5.

my macer on pac was a little behind the times, i havnt used him in a while, but i took the time between calls at work today to get his suit up to par and pick up a couple 120 scrolls.

i just need to make a AIR (yes, you are correct in that, i was half asleep when i posted before) AIR elemental waffle bat then i can come in and help ya clean up the spawn a bit.

on a side note, i must have been in there on pac allready, cause my mule had a pack full of shame loot on him and my tamer has a nice MR 9 staff.

course im not sure WHEN i was on there, but i was.

A

Arkasia_dub

Poo I was wondering if you could help clear something up for me - my bard is 4 x legendary on Europa and I previously thought you could pick up more than one set of bard skill masteries at a time - for example; Provocation and Peacemaking maseteries, however I noticed when I gained the Peacemaking masteries from the Brit Conservatory of Music I lost the ability to cast the Discordance masteries, is this intended?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Poo I was wondering if you could help clear something up for me - my bard is 4 x legendary on Europa and I previously thought you could pick up more than one set of bard skill masteries at a time - for example; Provocation and Peacemaking maseteries, however I noticed when I gained the Peacemaking masteries from the Brit Conservatory of Music I lost the ability to cast the Discordance masteries, is this intended?
Not Poo! But yes this is How it was meant to be! Some people think this is the way it should be others think not!

Z

Zero Day

You know, a warrior dealing 255 dm (pre-resist) at max swing speed. would deal 24480 total, damage which could get up to 42840 if the mob was under the effect of tribulation (with slayer and 4x bard)the whole time.

Thats alotta damage over 2 minutes.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, a warrior dealing 255 dm (pre-resist) at max swing speed. would deal 24480 total, damage which could get up to 42840 if the mob was under the effect of tribulation (with slayer and 4x bard)the whole time.

Dang, that IS a LOT of damage/time... I guess I had no idea a warrior was capable of that (playing bards and tamers and mages)...

Makes me wonder why anyone would bother being a Tamer with a GD if a warrior is SO much more powerful?

Just sayin....:eek:

Z

Zero Day

The answer is simple. (The warrior is getting hit, the tamer isnt )

:)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The answer is simple. (The warrior is getting hit, the tamer isnt )

Well, of course, but it makes me want to re-think my playstyle... As in, if I'm interested in killing stuff quickly - I'll leave my tamer back at the stable....

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
its all in what ya wanna do.

if im not totally 100% mind on the game and i just wanna do something mind numbing then ill take in my tamer and just heal.
disco, heal heal heal, bard disco mastery, heal heal heal, mastery, loot.

but if im all keen and hyper ill take in my warrior and do it.

the only difference is you actually have to be on your game when your using a warrior, cause you have to heal with bandaids, pots, bushy spells, chiv spells, removing curses, chomping apples, firing off specials ect ect ect ect, watching for if your leeches are hitting right to keep your mana and HP and stamina capped, if not hit the proper spell to get it back up.

and then if you are alone you have up to 3 unbound EVs on ya, which isnt a issue, you just have to REALLY keep track of everything.

but like i said, some days ya just wanna say all kill and put your feet up and wait to count the loot, no?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Poo I was wondering if you could help clear something up for me - my bard is 4 x legendary on Europa and I previously thought you could pick up more than one set of bard skill masteries at a time - for example; Provocation and Peacemaking masteries, however I noticed when I gained the Peacemaking masteries from the Brit Conservatory of Music I lost the ability to cast the Discordance masteries, is this intended?
youve only ever been able to use one mastery at a time.

you can use BOTH of the masteries in any given specialty.
both provo, both peace or both disco ones.
but you cant hold mastery in more then one area.

so no invigorate despair spamming super bards, haha

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

255 per swing.

damn thats high, wouldnt mind knowing the set up for that.
think im hitting for 180 at max SSI, but its a fast weapon so doubling most of the heavy hitting sampires speeds, but they hit heavier.

plus i have the disco on, so that helps.

and im not 100% sure, but i have been using my rune beetle on my tamer to back up my warrior and im pretty sure the armor corruption is hitting the UEVs as well.

Z

Zero Day

With 120 Chiv and Consecrate you are looking at 99% Damage Bonus.
Combine that with a slayer, or super slayer and you are pretty much set with little investment. You can tack on all the extras of 100 DI on suit and as much ssi as you can get along with HLD. (85 Base Damage will get you to 255 pre-resist).

You could also embrace your honor.
Divine fury at 120 Chiv also lowers the DCI penalty so its quite worth it though I think most people stop chiv at 84. (84 Chiv = 50% increase from EOO, 120 Chiv =84%)

Just a matter of finding the combination of weapons that have high base damage but can be swung at 1.25s ( i like my diamond mace)

Side note.

Imagine if a bard could have all the masteries.
Inspire + tribulation + Despair running at the same time. sick .
Or Invigorate + resilience + preservance = ultimate tank.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
waffle bat for the win (2 handed makes the parry bushy pretty much unhittable)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its all in what ya wanna do.

if im not totally 100% mind on the game and i just wanna do something mind numbing then ill take in my tamer and just heal.
disco, heal heal heal, bard disco mastery, heal heal heal, mastery, loot.

but if im all keen and hyper ill take in my warrior and do it.
Good point !
:popcorn: