• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Help a Returning Noob

L

LanDarr

I have literally been out of the game 4 years after starting in 2000.

Alot has changed since 2005 in the taming world. Is there a "Taming for Dummies" website ?

I am reading all these references to GD's Dread Mares and new tameables and havent a clue. I reactivated and found I still had my 2 regular mares and frost wyrm. but from what I am reading, they are not the uber pets they used to be.

Finally is a Tamer/Mage/ProvoBard still a viable template? or is it spread too thin?

Thanks

D

Drazasamus

You can do just about anything... i run just a straight mage/tamer.The Dreads don't spawn anymore. GD are a pain, and the new tameables are still in question.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may want to consider going to Test Center (TC1 on the menu) and try things out.

There is a FAQ/DOC on Stratics that is very helpful on how to do things on TC1.

The Template you mentioned may be effective but it also may not be the most effective. My waffling is due to not knowing what entertains you. I know I have had a lot of fun Provoking things on other things. :)

Only Elves can Tame a Cu Sidehe, Pads of the Cu Sidhe allow Humans to ride them. Humans can own and control Cu Sidhe regardless of the Pads.

If you would like a Greater Dragon, on TC1, then I would be willing to go tame you one to play around with. If you like them, then I would strongly recommend you read the various threads here and then go try them out on TC1 and find out what works for you.

In addition, I do not know if pet control slots were in effect when you left, if not then again, I would certainly recommend you go to TC1 and see how all this plays out for you personally as in what combination of things provides you with the greatest entertainment value.

I would also advise you to take any thing your reading about the Greater Dragon Nerf with several grains of salt and accept that it isn't really going to have any relevance to you.

Welcome back :pint:

You may find this link helpful

Test Center Commands and Resources

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back :)

Firstly, to get a brief summary of the pets we tend to use most, take a look at the tamer's guide here. I'd recommend looking through all the pages linked at the top of that guide with a few cups of coffee and that'll give you a refresher course and hopefully answer most of the questions you have on the taming side of things.

A bard tamer is still good, however discordance is now the favourite bard skill with tamers. That's not saying provo is bad as such, but you may find it noticibly less powerful than you may be used to. I wouldn't have a bard without provo though, it's still a fun skill to play with :)

I run a tamer mage with discordance and provo and find her a lot of fun, but it's an extremely cramped template. Bard skills really need to be as close to 120 as you can get, otherwise they won't do well vs the highest end monsters :( I ended up using trained skill for my taming, lore and vet and then using a couple of barding skill increase items for using my bard on high end mobs.

The other option that might suit you better is to train another bard skill like discordance and use a couple of soulstones to switch between provo and disco for example. Especially now the timer between uses has been dropped.

It's certainly worth hopping onto test centre and trying things out, especially if you're a bit rusty - you won't have to worry about running out of insurance money on test centre ;)

If there's any specific help or advice you need though, don't be shy about asking here :) Also, depending what shard you're on, some of us are able to help tame you new pets or heal while you try yourself. I'm on Europa so if you need help there just give me a nudge.

Wenchy

L

LanDarr

Thanks for the tips & will read that link and head to the Test Center. My pets may be old and outdated, but I am sentimental about them !!

I LOVE Provocation. I can provo all day long(and have) and have a blast.

Nerfs dont bother me, besides, from my viewpoint the GD has always been as strong as it is now, I have no frame of reference.

I made my fame and fortune on Chessy back in the day, but all of that is gone now, I am left with just my characters and what was left on them after I gave away most everything. My RL friend who originally got me into UO got me started again. We picked LA because of the available room. There are 18x18 and keep spots for the finding. I found 3 keep locations my first day in Trammel.

Thanks again, I got lots of reading to do!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the tips & will read that link and head to the Test Center. My pets may be old and outdated, but I am sentimental about them !!

I LOVE Provocation. I can provo all day long(and have) and have a blast.

Nerfs dont bother me, besides, from my viewpoint the GD has always been as strong as it is now, I have no frame of reference.

I made my fame and fortune on Chessy back in the day, but all of that is gone now, I am left with just my characters and what was left on them after I gave away most everything. My RL friend who originally got me into UO got me started again. We picked LA because of the available room. There are 18x18 and keep spots for the finding. I found 3 keep locations my first day in Trammel.

Thanks again, I got lots of reading to do!
Ah, LA is a good friendly shard and Like all good parents, we exile our problem children to Siege at age 18.

If you spend the time, you might even find a Castle spot if that kind of thing interest you, it doesn't me but .....

If you see me and need something just let me know. I ain't rich and I don't got a lot of things, aside from that if I can help I will as will most everyone on LA. :pint:

L

LanDarr

Thanks Enigma

Actually I re-activated a second account because I found my favorite spot open. Back in my hey-day had several spots, including castles, keeps and all the big stuff, but my favorite house was my little sandstone in Covetous valley. LA had that spot open and instead of a little sandstone, I dropped an 18x13 in there that I am customizing. My main account currently has a keep on it, and if anyone wants the location, let me know, I will let them have it at cost + any tip they want to throw in :)

My RL buddy wants a castle so I will keep one acct open to drop one if I come across a spot. In the meantime he will have to be happy with the other keep spot I got him... 3 days back and I actually got to sit an IDOC !! Couple of interesting pieces, guy was a huge planter, so got tons of seeds, nothing of real value. I did learn that there is an hour delay on placement after an IDOC.

Housing used to be my thing back in the day :)

Thanks

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When UO was released I was on Great Lakes as it was located near me (before the server consolidation began).

A bit later I created some characters on Sonoma.

My first house was on Great Lakes, on the corner, north side of the north side bay, north of Trinsic. It was a Large Patio with the Anvil and Forge.

When I came back I took a look on Great Lakes Felluca to see if it was available. It wasn't and I didn't really expect it to be.

First time around I was a real pack rat, this time, across 2 accounts - 2 18x18x3 Custom Houses with the increased storage, I now have about 900 items total.

KoL and KgB tend to be good guilds, I think, unless it has changed, that KoL is the largest Guild on LA.

I have looked around for IDOC's, to see if I can augment some of my stuff, but honestly I just don't have the passion/patience to do them.

But Grats on getting one :pint: