• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing solo

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing for 12 years and normally I've always played solo but I'm honestly thinking of leaving UO even if I have 6 accounts. I do not enjoy myself anymore and I want to make a game out of it. In the near future is there a new update so you can go back to just playing and having fun all the same? Dungeos easier or better as they were before ???? If it's not so I'm sorry but I leave UO.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not enjoy myself anymore
Time to find a new companion. What things are you killing Solo?

Travesty, Dreadhorn? What do you like to do? Kill stuff , Deco, Craft?

Maybe you can find someone that shares your interests. Maybe you can teach others to kill the things that you can kill.

Maybe you need to make a Tamer.

Maybe you can find new things to do solo. We need more info to help you bring the fun back.

There are a lot of things to do in UO.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"There are a lot of things to do in UO."

Amen to that. I always have about a dozen things I want to do in UO at any given time. They are not necessarily major accomplishments or things I haven't done before. Just stuff I want to do. I can never seem to find enough time to do all the things I want to in this game. Thank goodness I'm retired, but I still don't have enough time. So much to do!

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you can find someone that shares your interests.
Maybe you need to make a Tamer.

Maybe you can find new things to do solo. We need more info to help you bring the fun back.

There are a lot of things to do in UO.
I like to play solo and i don't want to find someone with to play the most dungeons. Why far from this year i had to have funny playing solo and why now it's very impossible???
Why have i to found a guild or a friend to play with?
No, i like to play solo many years ago and also this time i want to play solo. But it's impossible.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's possible to play solo.
You can't do every encounter solo, but hey.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like to play solo and i don't want to find someone with to play the most dungeons. Why far from this year i had to have funny playing solo and why now it's very impossible???
Why have i to found a guild or a friend to play with?
No, i like to play solo many years ago and also this time i want to play solo. But it's impossible.
If your looking to solo stuff can I assume you are using a sampire template? I fully understand how you feel btw. I much prefer to play solo and have done so for nearly a decade.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like to play solo and i don't want to find someone with to play the most dungeons.
Thats what we need to know.

Name some of the Mobs you like to kill. Maybe we can help you find some other ones that are fun.

Do you like puzzles? Have you done all of them? Name ones you like if you have done them.

What templates do you like to play? be specific and include mules.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... Great news! Come to the dark side. Abandon thy possessions and make thy way to wonderful and luxurious Siege Perilous.

I will DM you the details as I do not speak of such things in public forum but you are going to have a blast!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can I have your stuff?

When I get bored of playing solo I like to go to another server and start from nothing and not bring anything over from other servers.
I love building skills and gathering resources and have only been to 2 dungeons so there are still a lot of things i've never done in game.

Merth

Journeyman
I've been playing for 12 years and normally I've always played solo but I'm honestly thinking of leaving UO even if I have 6 accounts. I do not enjoy myself anymore and I want to make a game out of it. In the near future is there a new update so you can go back to just playing and having fun all the same? Dungeos easier or better as they were before ???? If it's not so I'm sorry but I leave UO.
I play solo as well mainly because I play odd hrs and no one is on when I am. What I try to do is each day I do something different so I dont feel the “grind” or get burned out. I dont have much or any gold but at least I can “unwind” and enjoy myself and look forward to the next day. I mainly play a tamer and a gatherer so far but i mix it up. Somedays i hunt wood other days ore and others saltpeter. Somedays i fish, or crab or look for serpents. Somedays i just chill at swoop or miasma. Somedays i just check my plants or refresh my boat. The possibilities are endless but if you constantly chase that one thing day after day it can get very boring. Just try to have fun and relax.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best idea: Start from Zero at a new shard. Do a PVM-ironman: No bought items, no stuff from the shop, no gold. From Zero to hero. Skilling by playing. No training. That is incredibly satisfying.

And do it on Siege.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The biggest thrill in this game though is playing together with others for a lot of people, interacting working together with others to do something, or even playing against one another in an honorable way : PvP (not PK).
Other great fun for solo players is develop a personal skill at something : Decorating a house, organizing your belongings so you know what is where, making nice designs, becoming good at lead taming or taming in general just for the fun of it..Or develop a hobby, such as collecting things you like, like rare pets, or spawning some creatures to eventually spawn a rare colored pet, keep it or make some gold that way. (Tame and sell a 4 slot dragon, tame a rare color Cusidhe, a pure white, a black, or a Blaze one! etc.). Fishing can be a blast for some players that solo, and there is a huge Fishing update with new rewards and challenges coming up shortly. Do a Fel spawn, aspire to get PS and sell for UO $, get rare items etc. And dont be afraid to get attacked by PKs. Become a guild member in a nice guild that is active, give it a chance and if you dont like it quit the guild. Start a toon in Siege, great player base, close-knit community, may surprise you. If you are a crafter your services will be priceless there. You can hunt scripter bots actively, and do a lot of good for the game also. A million things to do. What shard are you on?
Sounds like you boxed yourself in a one-mode routine, and you may be repeating it each time. Same thing over and over again, each play day. If you have the time, it is difficult to get bored in this game. The content is massive, and there is new content coming up in just a few months.
Finally, don't be bashful. Talk to people in game. You may be surprized how many good people there are.
We all know that the pixels in UO are not the best in the present day games but, UO has a nicer player base, and people here are mostly mature. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil it for you..Create your own fun, discover other people, and different things in UO, and most importantly have fun!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You folks that are promoting playing with others.... You do realize they have cooties right? Like really REALLY bad cooties.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I been hating for years. They put stuff behind a "party-wall" instead of encouraging open group play like you can see at Navrey or Scalis.
Agreed. That's why the weekly Scalis events are still popular despite all the new content. It's the best of both worlds - the freedom to come and go like a solo player combined with the group experience - like some of the town invasion events we've had

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Agreed. That's why the weekly Scalis events are still popular despite all the new content. It's the best of both worlds - the freedom to come and go like a solo player combined with the group experience - like some of the town invasion events we've had
Bingo! Thats the kind of things they can add to the game. To spice up things, like the event they added way back when you could get rewards from the event like the conj. trincket etc. Real tough ass stuff but doable..Remember? Wasn't that in Magincia before the magincia destruction evet? That was a blast on its own!

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These "open party" events are what kept me going in UO for all these years. I really do not understand why the developers keep adding these high end events behind "party walls" when the games population is dwindling & most of us are much older with limited time to play. Sure put a few "party only" content for guilds & close friends to do together, but the majority of the content should be open party.

I like to solo a lot. But I do not want to solo everything. It is harder and harder to find a dedicated party to do these events on the spur of the moment. I do not have hours to sit around waiting trying to find people. Open party really helps with that because during the prime times, people are there doing it & you can come and go without screwing everybody because someone has to "bail" on them.

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The biggest thrill in this game though is playing together with others for a lot of people, interacting working together with others to do something, or even playing against one another in an honorable way : PvP (not PK).
That might be your biggest thrill, but that doesn't mean it should be everyone's biggest thrill.

Some of us work busy jobs and have busy homes, and when they play whatever game in the evening they want to relax.

It's nice to know there are other people around in the game and sometimes I like to party up, but I generally play alone.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bingo! Thats the kind of things they can add to the game. To spice up things, like the event they added way back when you could get rewards from the event like the conj. trincket etc. Real tough ass stuff but doable..Remember? Wasn't that in Magincia before the magincia destruction evet? That was a blast on its own!
The conjurer's trinket was from some kind of totem south of a big tree S of yew - I got a half dozen and lost them all the first time I quit, lol. Magincia was good group play

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm Cooties that's a term as we say a blast from the past, were starting to show our ages if we remember that :).
To Ivory what were the dungeons that you use to have fun at, but became more difficult to enjoy now?
Perhaps players can suggest new ones that you have not tried yet?
I hope you continue to play this game and find it more enjoyable in the future.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The conjurer's trinket was from some kind of totem south of a big tree S of yew - I got a half dozen and lost them all the first time I quit, lol. Magincia was good group play
No..I remember distinctly, esp. since I got 2 of them, fighting some nastly looking beasties that looked like black rock elementals on steroids back then with my archer. You had to grind them for long time before they dropped. Best way was to put them behind a fence, and pound them with arrows, at least for me. It is so long ago. Also Im pretty sure it was Magincia. Way before the Magincia destruction/evasion. Did not last long, but got myself the 2-3 trinkets and the Conj. Garb. It was a blast. Did not take part in the totem S. Yew, never heard of it. The stuff that I got my Conj. stuff from were nasty killer mobs, esp for direct contact melee fighters and sampires with swords if I recall. Loooong ago.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No..I remember distinctly, esp. since I got 2 of them, fighting some nastly looking beasties that looked like black rock elementals on steroids back then with my archer. You had to grind them for long time before they dropped. Best way was to put them behind a fence, and pound them with arrows, at least for me. It is so long ago. Also Im pretty sure it was Magincia. Way before the Magincia destruction/evasion. Did not last long, but got myself the 2-3 trinkets and the Conj. Garb. It was a blast. Did not take part in the totem S. Yew, never heard of it. The stuff that I got my Conj. stuff from were nasty killer mobs, esp for direct contact melee fighters and sampires with swords if I recall. Loooong ago.
Conjurer's Trinket - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
"The Conjurer's Trinket is a blood red talisman first seen during the Halloween 2008 event. It was obtained by defeating Skeletal Liches in graveyards, and had to be looted from the corpses."
I only worked the Yew cemetery, with the fence around it - I killed the skeletal liches by provoking stuff on them to pin them against the fence and them pounding them with EVs and sometimes my cu - maybe others could add if they got drops in other cemeteries

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Conjurer's Trinket - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
"The Conjurer's Trinket is a blood red talisman first seen during the Halloween 2008 event. It was obtained by defeating Skeletal Liches in graveyards, and had to be looted from the corpses."
I only worked the Yew cemetery, with the fence around it - I killed the skeletal liches by provoking stuff on them to pin them against the fence and them pounding them with EVs and sometimes my cu - maybe others could add if they got drops in other cemeteries
YES!! You are correct! Skel Liches it was! They also dropped the conj. garb right? And the Conj. Grimoir. Still got that stuff from way back then lol. But there was some event way back then with nasty brown eles with paragon speeds and attacks in Magincia. You had to trap them behind a fence and pond them with archery, else they did insane damage. What the heck was that event? They looked like giant, larger than normal earth eles but moved realy fast! LOL.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That might be your biggest thrill, but that doesn't mean it should be everyone's biggest thrill.

Some of us work busy jobs and have busy homes, and when they play whatever game in the evening they want to relax.

It's nice to know there are other people around in the game and sometimes I like to party up, but I generally play alone.
I can see where @celticus is coming from, however I think the biggest misconception is that not using a calendar for UO equals solo play.

I don't consider myself playing solo, when there are 10+ people trying to fight Scalis or defend towns from an invasion.

I personally just hate all the drama to party up and setup appointments. Wait for the 2 guys being late.. wait for that one guy that had to leave already.. yadi yada.. when you text more than you play :D

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can see where @celticus is coming from, however I think the biggest misconception is that not using a calendar for UO equals solo play.

I don't consider myself playing solo, when there are 10+ people trying to fight Scalis or defend towns from an invasion.

I personally just hate all the drama to party up and setup appointments. Wait for the 2 guys being late.. wait for that one guy that had to leave already.. yadi yada.. when you text more than you play :D
Ya I mostly play solo. The only time I play with people are when they are already working what I want to do, or they come in as I'm working it. I'd love them to add a viable group finding tool though. It works so well in other mmo's.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya I mostly play solo. The only time I play with people are when they are already working what I want to do, or they come in as I'm working it. I'd love them to add a viable group finding tool though. It works so well in other mmo's.
Yea, right?! "Join queue" and 5 minutes later you are in action and having fun with 4 other players.