• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing Classic Style

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone else play this game intentionally like they used to? When I play, it's as if I'm playing in maybe...2002 or 2003. I very rarely stray to any place newer than Luna. I still regularly visit the Britain banks. My home is just east of Britain. Even with my legendary bard/elder mage, I still hunt demons in the Fire Temple and Arctic Ogre Lords for gold and items. I've never tried any of the newer skills like mysticism, necromancy, spellweaving, bushido, ninja, paladin, etc. A dungeon crawl for me is still provoking dragons in Destard. The only income I really have is the gold from demons and arctic ogre lords.

It's a vegetarian diet as opposed to vegan meaning...I still wear an LRC suit, have skills beyond 100, and my home is one of the custom keeps. But in reading these forums, I feel like I'm one of the few who are intentionally stuck in the past.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too rarely venture outside of Trammel and do most of my (treasure) hunting in open air. My Spires castle is located near the Britain Crossroads on Drachenfels, and I am still busy decorating it. Next to it, I've built a small treasure hunting 18*18 plot where I keep my Davies lockers, some unsorted BoD's and a bit of armour, weapons & jewelry.

Roaming mainly on Trammel isn't a conscious choice, I suppose. However, your question does make me wonder why it's my favourite facet. I guess the reasons are:
  • Felucca is out of the question as I'm highly allergic to red players.
  • Ilshenar is too tough for me with paragon and ultra-quick respawn (I prefer to have time to loot what I've killed).
  • Tokuno would be nice if those pesky ninja's wouldn't constantly appear out of nowhere to whack me. Against them, I'm usually defenseless in my gear which doesn't offer much more than 70/75 resists and LRC. I look back with yearning on the old days when a sword of vanquishing was the best weapon and all you needed to craft it was iron ingots.
  • I've hardly discovered any new territory or creatures in Lost Lands, Malas, Ter Mur and Eodon. I simply don't know the lay of the land (that counts for all non-Trammel facets anyway). The only exception is Miasma which I occasionally hunt for treasure maps.
  • As far as dungeons are concerned on any facet, I steer clear of them because they don't offer me room to run away from attacking mobs. Also, I always get lost in those maze-like environments. Even in RL, I manage to lose my way in a paper bag, so you understand my plight.
At present, filling BoD's, fishing, digging up treasure and some occasional good-old-fashioned roleplaying or a simple OOC chat with kind players are enough for me.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've played for 22 years and there are a LOT of places and things I haven't ever been to or seen. I think mysticism is the only "new" skill that I trained. All of my toons are old-school and basic. I like it that way.

Delores D

Journeyman
Have any of you tried fishing? It is easy, relaxing and when you get to around 80 skill you can fish up mibs. There is either 10, 20, or 30 k gold in each chest. I can fish up 5 chests or so and depending on the level walk away with close 100k gold or so.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I too rarely venture outside of Trammel and do most of my (treasure) hunting in open air. My Spires castle is located near the Britain Crossroads on Drachenfels, and I am still busy decorating it. Next to it, I've built a small treasure hunting 18*18 plot where I keep my Davies lockers, some unsorted BoD's and a bit of armour, weapons & jewelry.

Roaming mainly on Trammel isn't a conscious choice, I suppose. However, your question does make me wonder why it's my favourite facet. I guess the reasons are:
  • Felucca is out of the question as I'm highly allergic to red players.
  • Ilshenar is too tough for me with paragon and ultra-quick respawn (I prefer to have time to loot what I've killed).
  • Tokuno would be nice if those pesky ninja's wouldn't constantly appear out of nowhere to whack me. Against them, I'm usually defenseless in my gear which doesn't offer much more than 70/75 resists and LRC. I look back with yearning on the old days when a sword of vanquishing was the best weapon and all you needed to craft it was iron ingots.
  • I've hardly discovered any new territory or creatures in Lost Lands, Malas, Ter Mur and Eodon. I simply don't know the lay of the land (that counts for all non-Trammel facets anyway). The only exception is Miasma which I occasionally hunt for treasure maps.
  • As far as dungeons are concerned on any facet, I steer clear of them because they don't offer me room to run away from attacking mobs. Also, I always get lost in those maze-like environments. Even in RL, I manage to lose my way in a paper bag, so you understand my plight.
At present, filling BoD's, fishing, digging up treasure and some occasional good-old-fashioned roleplaying or a simple OOC chat with kind players are enough for me.
I can certainly relate to most of what you said. I haven't tried treasure hunting though.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've played for 22 years and there are a LOT of places and things I haven't ever been to or seen. I think mysticism is the only "new" skill that I trained. All of my toons are old-school and basic. I like it that way.
Same here. I've never even tried an elf or gargoyle. Just give me the classic client with my human bard in a conversation at the east Britain Bank and I'm pretty content.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Have any of you tried fishing? It is easy, relaxing and when you get to around 80 skill you can fish up mibs. There is either 10, 20, or 30 k gold in each chest. I can fish up 5 chests or so and depending on the level walk away with close 100k gold or so.
I've never tried fishing. My sister loved it in the early days but I thought it looked pretty boring.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's been a long time since I didn't use insurance. That would be a luxury to turn off for sure.
It certainly makes it better. I actually find armor and weapon upgrades all the time and it feels great when I do. I can't imagine ever using insurance again.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I did the gargoyle thing once, and only once, took the quest to change it to an elf, as soon as its imbuing hit GM and stoned it off to the elf tailor. Today I have one gargoyle on an alt account, its my dress dummy for gargoyle suits I sell on my elf tailor's vendor. The gargoyle is kept naked in the lower corner of a normal Keep, we have three of those normal Keeps so very little chance of a air rescue at the right one . Along with the normal Castle in the Trinsic swamps. Now if the steward could show resist when making suits I would put that gargoyle out.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did the gargoyle thing once, and only once, took the quest to change it to an elf, as soon as its imbuing hit GM and stoned it off to the elf tailor. Today I have one gargoyle on an alt account, its my dress dummy for gargoyle suits I sell on my elf tailor's vendor. The gargoyle is kept naked in the lower corner of a normal Keep, we have three of those normal Keeps so very little chance of a air rescue at the right one . Along with the normal Castle in the Trinsic swamps. Now if the steward could show resist when making suits I would put that gargoyle out.
That's ok, Gargoyles don't like you either . . .

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play almost everything in uo. One more of my favourite styles is the classic dungeon crawling. I am still using classic client.

I still remember 20 years ago, I just bought Armor and swords from NPC shop and went dungeon crawling. Nowadays, I mainly go dungeon for champ spawns.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
One of many great things about UO is the way it supports playing like this.

I actually think a lot of people play and mostly do certain set things.

There is no need to assign a loaded term like "classic" to these play styles, because they're part of the game's present and future as well as its past, just like more-intense play is. The UO game world is far richer than the most-active players give it credit for.

-John's player

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
What is your digging macro? Last item, last target? So hit shovel, then hit map then gound etc?

Atropos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive played 18 years, mostly on Sonoma. Im a loner so I wander everything but Fel cause Im chicken. I venture out when theres events but daily play I mostly T hunt, MIBs, craft a little, get bored go on old quests like the special seeds etc. I figured one day Ill get really bored n go explore Ter Mur n Eodon more. I still play the classic client w/ uo assist and automap, if those even broke I would be done for.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ive played 18 years, mostly on Sonoma. Im a loner so I wander everything but Fel cause Im chicken. I venture out when theres events but daily play I mostly T hunt, MIBs, craft a little, get bored go on old quests like the special seeds etc. I figured one day Ill get really bored n go explore Ter Mur n Eodon more. I still play the classic client w/ uo assist and automap, if those even broke I would be done for.
I thought Automap was broken. I'll have to try again.

North_LS

Journeyman
i still wander the mountain ranges and woods of felucca with my swordsman / gatherer and mine and lumberjack by hand as i go. reminds me of scrounging meager resources to sell for a pittance when i was fresh into the game.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure this bad boy was my first pc. Packard Bell. Hah!

486 25mhz with 4mb? of ram and maybe 50mb disk space... we've come a long way.
Lookes just like the one we had, running 3.11

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
automap is not broken - I keep it fixed
Oh. I downloaded it a year or so ago and could not get it to work. I don't remember the problem I was having but it was a problem I never used to have when I first played UO. I'll have to try again.

Atropos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOAM def works, I don't remember when it last got fixed n I haven't had to reinstall it in ages but all the lands show. Only thing that quit working was it saving houses, that was ages ago it seems n I think that had more to do w/ the way UO itself works n not UOAM

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
upload_2019-7-4_14-41-40.png

Not sure if anyone remembers these pieces of crap computers? This was my first UO machine, use to freeze and crash anytime I recalled into Brit bank when a lot of people/animals were there!! Winner....

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still killing Earth Eles in Shame and Dungeon lockpicking. Ive never even done a champ spawn.

Might take up fishing though....

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Still killing Earth Eles in Shame and Dungeon lockpicking. Ive never even done a champ spawn.

Might take up fishing though....
I'm still provoking daemons in the Fire Temple and banking in east Britain all by my lonely.

Jactiggy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 99585

Not sure if anyone remembers these pieces of crap computers? This was my first UO machine, use to freeze and crash anytime I recalled into Brit bank when a lot of people/animals were there!! Winner....
Haha this was seriously my first ever comp! I think it had a pentium 2 and it was somewhere around 99 - 2000?
It was a steaming turd and it cost me an absolute fortune.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My lag to Atlantic feels like Im on a modem...
That's a positive about living on a less-populated shard like Catskills. I haven't experienced lag once in the year and a half that I've been back. Very different from that day early in May 2000 when housing opened on Trammel...