• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player Run Servers...

D

deadtoaster2

Since most of the tso files are run from the individual user's computers and (as far as I know) the login and syncing files run on the server. Do you think it would be possible for somebody who has access to a server load the necessary files (supplied by ea) to open our own community server?

On the plus side this would look great on the part of ea who would not be supporting the game any longer, but all of that code that has been put into the game could still be used long into the future on player-run servers.

Many online games function in such a way that there may be many servers (cities) that you are able to join and that way the game could live on.

Now ea will probably never even read this but it seems like such a waste to just throw out all of that work without letting the community that liked the sims so much at least have the ability to continue it without EA.

Ideas? Comments?

Would you join a player-based server? Remember no monthly fees would be charged but no future updates would exist.

G

I'd be on board all the way....but read:

"Is the EA-Land game source code available for purchase?

Electronic Arts does not have any plans to sell the source code for EA-Land."
that info was found here

G

i would! and i guess i would run the server here .. dunno how much it needs tho.

I guess the developers might talk to the managers .. or they might themselves give it after being done with all this...!

G

Anything can be bought if you make an attractive-enough offer.

D

deadtoaster2

Hmm... hadn't read that page. Anyways they said they don't plan to sell it - as in to another company. They would only need to post the necessary files in order to run a player-based server for the community. We would not need access to all of the programs or tools needed to make changes to the game, only the ability to host it online and run it.

D

deadtoaster2

I would imagine we would need to talk with somebody who is in charge. If Luc is still around and willing to talk via forum, chat, email, phone or in game that would probably be a good starting point.

Anybody have any other suggestion?

G

<blockquote><hr>

ok...I say great idea...what's the next step?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk Parizad into stealing the source code. UOs fee servers are run on "accidently downloaded" source code.

G

LOL!....oh...I really Laughed!...haven't done that since I heard the bad news.

M

mpn

This thought crossed my mind.

Although you would need some way to change the hosts file a la WinMX.

M

mpn

Also keep in mind that with the popularity of the game, running a server is not something you can do from your broadband connection at home. It takes enormous bandwidth to run something of this scale.

G

<blockquote><hr>

ok...I say great idea...what's the next step?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gather your team of lawyers to draft a contract.

In other words, it wouldn't be cheap.

G

i would join it even if it did cost a little bit for server fees

D

deadtoaster2

<blockquote><hr>

Also keep in mind that with the popularity of the game, running a server is not something you can do from your broadband connection at home. It takes enormous bandwidth to run something of this scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubt about this, it would require the rental of a gaming server that is designed and built for this purpose. The fees for these types of servers vary but if a few people could donate funds im sure we could get it up and running. That is... after they give us the code.

G

and if someone could get ahold of Luc or one of them that might be possible

S

Shyanne1

Are you people nuts? Like EA is going to just GIVE away the code for EA Land? Do you know how much bandwidth costs to run this game on a server? The sad thing is that I think you guys are serious. Don't you think if it was that easy that EA would just keep it running? You let us know what Will Wright says when you talk to him about it though. If he's for it then I'll chip in. LOL

Might want to ask your mommy's and daddy's if it ok first though.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubt about this, it would require the rental of a gaming server that is designed and built for this purpose. The fees for these types of servers vary but if a few people could donate funds im sure we could get it up and running. That is... after they give us the code.

[/ QUOTE ]

donate funds as in a subscription payment?

G

stahithiamou!...that was harsh...this is how great things come to pass...talking about ideas....no, I personally don't think there is more than a .0001% chance this could happen, but I do think it's a great idea to try to hash out.

I

imported_Jessie Taylor

It's worth a shot to talk to them. Worst they can say is drop dead. Obviously it could not be called sims, and the word sims would need to be taken out.

Since The Sims is still very much a live product.

But as I say, talking is certainly worth while. I'd be willing to keep playing and paying. Pretty much used to not having changes anyway.

D

deadtoaster2

<blockquote><hr>

Are you people nuts? Like EA is going to just GIVE away the code for EA Land?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not what I had suggested at all. How about you try reading the thread before commenting next time.

All we would need would be the files that are needed in order to RUN the server. No tools for editing the content and nothing for any type of code modification what so ever.

G

Anything is possible if people work together. Check into it and let us know what you come up with.

D

deadtoaster2

I went ahead and sent an email to luc with the idea. Only time will tell if he will even read it.

T

tso_phoenix

This has been done with many MMO games, what we need is someone with the skills to program to make a server emulator like the one used for World of Warcraft.

G

Ok heres how i look at this... IF say someone like Kingware was able too get into this game why couldnt someone else with a brain... im sorry i dont have a brain for that just a brain for ideas... but think about it... if kingware was able too break in why couldnt somone else

T

tso_phoenix

They probably can. The problem is that we have never had someone, anyone, make the effort to do so like they have for other MMOs. If TSO was as big as all of them, then we would have this already.

G

Something to research: Is there a P2P MMO game? I don't mean PvP (Player versus Player), where people play against each other, I mean Peer to Peer, where like file sharing services, the software is implemented in a distributed fashion on participants machines.

File-sharing works that way to avoid legal culpability by a centralized server. But a P2P game wouldn't have to hide and could even use limited centralized services for rendezvous or other game management, but the goal would be for the players to provide the compute and storage power for the game.

I haven't heard of such a game, but I don't know of any reason why it is impossible, so someone must have tried it. Many tricky issues to resolve to prevent cheating and provide reliability, but they seem solvable.

If you build a TSO-like game that way with open source, the users, or potentially subgroups of users, could own their own game. Because people would bring their own computing resources, as long as there were people willing to play, the game could live on.

Don't know why the idea didn't occur to me before. A game company wouldn't do it because they couldn't charge subscription fees, but a group of players might.

T

TKSpeedy1

GMTA! This is kinda along the lines of what I was thinking of trying to star. But definitely more involved. I love this idea! I hope it works out and Luc gives us the go ahead! Please let us know if you hear anything.

I

imported_aldldl

<blockquote><hr>

GMTA! This is kinda along the lines of what I was thinking of trying to star. But definitely more involved. I love this idea! I hope it works out and Luc gives us the go ahead! Please let us know if you hear anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only it were the developers decision... did any of you see the screenshot of the town hall meet with Peri.? THEY wanted to do this and they do know how to run the damn thing. But no, they will not be permitted

This would be awesome if could happen i would support it but it is a VERY LONG shot.

I

imported_eggchick7

OH god yes..yes I would, would do ANYTHING to keep this game alive Anything I tell you (am I being repetative here)

I

imported_eggchick7

Funny I sent one too (lucky me I got a 'read' receipt) was asking questions about why others couldnt buy it and a few others...However Pari answered me (good ole Pari)

G

Do you have Luc's persomal e-mail addy then? He left EA over a week ago.

Let us know if you get a response and what it is

G

They are saying the source code is NOT for sell to anyone, includeing companies and people like us.

I'll be amazed if they said YES, then they will prolly ask you do you have the money for it.

Like you or anyone else has the amount of cash they are asking for (if they were selling it) Does anyone have that kind of cash just lying around, no.

Just let it go, they said their word, it is a done deal. EA-Land is closing end of story

T

tso_phoenix

Work has begun on saving The Sims Online. For more information please see this thread for more information. We need coders and people to test and analyze packets. If you can't do that I am sure there are other ways to help.

Thanks

P

Pkmn_knight

Is the guy even still working on it? They have about 90 days left to get anything from the offical server.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Work has begun on saving The Sims Online. For more information please see this thread for more information. We need coders and people to test and analyze packets. If you can't do that I am sure there are other ways to help.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm no expert, but from what I read about what they are planning to do, they are likely to get stamped upon with a big boot from EA's legal department.

"Reverse Engineering" is essentially theft.

I

imported_eggchick7

It was in answer just to refunds of atm's sry
but the point was she had the manners to answer....I rest my case

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Aren't there online server companies that do just this thing? How much would it cost to rent a broadband server company to provide private server space?

So far we have over 700 siggies on that petition. That's about 7K per month subscription revenue.

(as for servers being build for it, don't we have a fairly new one already? What would it take for EA to allow us to keep it up and operational?)