• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player attitudes

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/start death threat rant

I'm not always in the mood of pvp multiple reasons. I have a faction spawn outside my castle on pacific where other faction members spawn along with the brigand spawn. A bluebie dude was outside my house and someone was trying to pk them. So I ran outside my house hid them, was attacked, healed up and went back in to do my little bluebie organization and deco. So yay I saved a bluebie and didn't attack anyone and everything was peachie.

My issue is this. After I ran back in they were outside throwing a tantrum saying they wanted me to die in real life. Ultima Online is a video game killing people in UO is fine because they can come back to life, but killing people in real life is something completely different. I have a love hate relation with tons of players in UO, but seriously death threats and things like that are not cool. Ya'll need to chill out.

/end death threat rant.

S

Sunrise

/start death threat rant

I'm not always in the mood of pvp multiple reasons. I have a faction spawn outside my castle on pacific where other faction members spawn along with the brigand spawn. A bluebie dude was outside my house and someone was trying to pk them. So I ran outside my house hid them, was attacked, healed up and went back in to do my little bluebie organization and deco. So yay I saved a bluebie and didn't attack anyone and everything was peachie.

My issue is this. After I ran back in they were outside throwing a tantrum saying they wanted me to die in real life. Ultima Online is a video game killing people in UO is fine because they can come back to life, but killing people in real life is something completely different. I have a love hate relation with tons of players in UO, but seriously death threats and things like that are not cool. Ya'll need to chill out.

/end death threat rant.
I second this..for some reason either 1 people FORGET this is a cheesy game..or 2...they have no lives...s

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/start death threat rant

/end death threat rant.
There were a couple of Korean kids I think who killed someone for an in game matter a while back. The kids got PKed and they went through a real life PK.
People just take games way too seriously. But it's not just UO, it's all those other online games as well. I remember hearing about someone killing themselves because their WoW account was hacked into and they lost several high end items, too. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to stop this.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all many people play Online games and of all the people that do play them a small % are disturbed we are humans after all is said and done.

Depressive
Manic Depressive
Insomniacs
Paranoid Skitzo's
ADD
ADDHD

and on and on the list will go

And then there are the kiddies the 12 to 18 year old people who play and have yet to develop a sense of self or other that SPAM WHINE BEG & Utter death threats just ignore them and they will go away.

Try not to focus on what cry baby x just called you and enjoy the game you play for fun if some kid wants to be a potty mouth use the ignore option built into the game and page a gm on them though won't do much might work.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all many people play Online games and of all the people that do play them a small % are disturbed we are humans after all is said and done.

Depressive
Manic Depressive
Insomniacs
Paranoid Skitzo's
ADD
ADDHD

And then there are the kiddies the 12 to 18 year old people who play and have yet to develop a sense of self or other that SPAM WHINE BEG & Utter death threats just ignore them and they will go away.

Try not to focus on what cry baby x just called you and enjoy the game you play for fun if some kid wants to be a potty mouth use the ignore option built into the game and page a gm on them though won't do much might work.
I actually don't think kids around this age group are a problem as I am now twenty and I started playing UO when I was ten or eleven because I saw my uncle playing it. I didn't say these things- in fact a made a lot of friend on UO who I hung out with via bank sitting. You know, the days when UO had a large fanbase and socializing was a big part of the game.
Those were the days.
I think the difference with then versus now is less people to interact with. Game manners aren't taught when no ones around.

F

Fink

Depressive
Manic Depressive
Insomniacs
Paranoid Skitzo's
ADD
ADDHD

I disagree.

I say that's actually a large percentage of people who play online games. In western culture, about a fifth of the population is identified as mentally ill in some regard (possibly more undiagnosed) which, while a paltry amount compared to other illnesses like morbid obesity, is a group prone to the lure of escapist/fantasy activities... so I figure more than one in five gamers would be ":coco:". We're a weird mob, but that's okay.

All that aside, I don't think mental illness is the reason some people are such jerks online. I think that's mixing crazy with stupid.

R

RavenWinterHawk

People.

MRL job is a clinical therapist. Mental illness has nothing to do we lousy abusive attitudes. You are sterotyping. Bad attitude is caused by illness. Its a behavior. Its anger. Anger that isnt managed.

Sure a person with a mental illness can have an anger issue or a bad attitude. They aren't always related. And because you have a mental illness doesnt mean you are NOT a great in game kind player.

Skitzo is typically a bastardization of schizophrenia. The illness, when bad, is so debilitating, it be nice if there was enough symptom relief the person could actually enjoy themselves and play a game.

Chalk over the top harsh players in game up to them being what they are. Don't toss in a mental illness cause it creates a reason.

BTW if you get a death threat in game report them.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree.

I say that's actually a large percentage of people who play online games. In western culture, about a fifth of the population is identified as mentally ill in some regard (possibly more undiagnosed) which, while a paltry amount compared to other illnesses like morbid obesity, is a group prone to the lure of escapist/fantasy activities... so I figure more than one in five gamers would be ":coco:". We're a weird mob, but that's okay.

All that aside, I don't think mental illness is the reason some people are such jerks online. I think that's mixing crazy with stupid.
I disagree.

I say that's actually a large percentage of people who play online games. In western culture, about a fifth of the population is identified as mentally ill in some regard (possibly more undiagnosed) which, while a paltry amount compared to other illnesses like morbid obesity, is a group prone to the lure of escapist/fantasy activities... so I figure more than one in five gamers would be "". We're a weird mob, but that's okay.

All that aside, I don't think mental illness is the reason some people are such jerks online. I think that's mixing crazy with stupid

Those are the ones who voted for Bush!!!!

M

MoneyMaker

Death threats should never be tolerated. Report them immediately.
On the subject of mental disorders and such in gamers.
Not saying that this is what was the problem, but there are a number of people who play online games who suffer from addiction, an addiction to the games themselves. Which can be like alcoholism or gambling addictions. Alot of the symptoms are similar.
There are several people out there with this condition who have no idea that they have a problem.