• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playable Races or I want to be a Lizardman

L

Lord_Toast

I transcribed this from the TGN interview.
this is what Lord British had to say on Player Races---time code 1:44:36 to 1:46:10—
“my default answer is ‘no’; but I can be convinced otherwise. That would be another discussion item to put up on Startics... The reason why I give that as a default answer…my default position is this is ‘you’ coming to the world. So, I want to make sure you have no excuse not to be responsible for your deeds and actions… so I wouldn’t want you to be the big hulking evil pirate character so to speak. You are ‘you’. Fundamentally. That being said…in the past I have been okay with the fact part of the Portal process that takes you to the new world is that you undergo some physical transformations but it is really your ‘soul’ your ‘spirit’ which embodies that other character…”
++++++
Also, besides being minor physical changes there needs to be something ‘meaty’ to the race in question. If it is good enough then it will go into the first release.
As I stated in a different thread, “If a person’s soul yearns to truly be different then why not?”

Soul Mechanics:
The Portal takes a being (Traveler) from Earth and transposes them into another world. During this little trip their body may undergo some physical changes. These changes appear to be dictated by the Traveler’s soul/spirit interacting with the magical energies found within the Portal. These can be minor changes like blue eyes instead of green. Or they can be a major physical changes ranging from gaining an extra inch or three in height or change in sex. Some Travelers souls are so different from others that radical changes can occur to their new body.
Sometimes nothing happens at all.

Want to be a different race? Here is your chance to speak up! This may require something more than a simple yes for an answer but if you don’t have the gift for gab then it’s cool to just say “yes”. Log in or create an account then post away!
Remember Richard is open to the idea…and did give a reason on how it could occur.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Way to take the initiative! Personally, I have no horse in this race, but I'm certainly interested in hearing more about who wants alternative race options, and why they would like them.

senescal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If the differences are just aesthetics and a bonus here and there, as usual, I'd rather not have them. I don't have any idea on how to make multiple races interesting if the game isn't roleplay heavy.

L

Lord_Toast

Way to take the initiative! Personally, I have no horse in this race, but I'm certainly interested in hearing more about who wants alternative race options, and why they would like them.
Thank you.
I would try to take a page from Star Wars the Old Republic. The species have different visual appearances and special trait to their races. For example, Twi'lek special trait is a unique dance. Of course, Star Wars has decades of materials to aid someone in roleplaying a Twi'lek or any other species found in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanpry

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like having multiple races, only because it is boring having everyone look exactly the same. What I am not a fan of is placing bonuses on races that basically pigeon hole a person into a play style.

If there will be enough variety in armor styles to really set yourself apart from everyone else I think I'd be ok with just a single race though.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally think having other races is ok. But I don't play them myself and don't think they should have advantages over humans. I don't want to be forced to have bat wings on my back and horns just to be competitive.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Guess I am used to the races having different abilities. It makes sense that certain races are better at other areas than other races. It was like that in D&D also, so I have been used to it being that way for a long time.

Lord_Zykes

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Id like to take those who remember on a trip down memory lane; To probably about 2000? On the Europa Shard (My home shard) there used to be what quite possibly was the greatest Player developed instance definately Europa and/or UO had ever created. This was CoY. CoY was a community of RP'ers all coming up with their own Characters, Orcs, Pixies, Elves, Mongbats, Centaurs, Humans, Dwarfs, etc.. this was all done using something exceptional.. something no other game that i know of allows you to use.. and that is imagination. For Instance, If I wanted to create a Centaur.. Id create a brown tinted character, Buy a brown horse from the stables.. A Bow and some arrows and i'd be set. The rest is up to me.. The Profile on the Paperdoll was a brilliant idea, Allowing me to portray how my character looked through another characters eye, his traits and a small inkling into its past. Now on the subject of Lizardmen... Would it not be possible to create a "lizard man mask" that could possibly be crafted? (Perhaps afew different ones? abit like an Orc Mask in UO..) Combine that with Some sort of Scaley Bone armour and use a Spear?? Instead of Having it spoon fed to you like.. Character Creation - Human/Lizardman/Elf/Orc - Lizardman - Complete. That to me is utterly Boring; But to actually have to "Create" your character when ingame using gameplay mechanics/graphics is something i reckon a large chunk of RP'ers especially would welcome.

Pito Wilson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am totally with you previous poster brother!

The human element, just like in Dow Chemicals!

Perhaps players could transform their chars in game or something, maybe a player may be a tattoo/body artist and with enough skill in tattooing and enchanting he may transform you into a semi human lizard man?

Just an idea. I really enjoyed an RPG tittle Legend of the 5 Rings, it was settled in a Fantasy Japan-like realm. What I enjoyed most about this whole world was all the philosophical, mythological, sociological and historical aspects it involved. This was no childs play, it was a serious game, where you had (to have a good gm, jeje) to have wits, courage, focus, you had to think things.

Within one of the clans, the Dragon Clan, there were these head shaven monks full of tattoos, and each tattoo granted them certain abilities. Its a very complicated story but that is the general idea of what Im trying to communicate. A compromise could be achieved!

Some inspiration could come from it and many many others!

Pito Wilson,
El Presidente