• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PLATS in UO

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Sooooo.. How does it come about that we come about a bankroll of 20-100 plats? How does it come about? I mean the original owner of it...
==Play UO 24/7 365 days/year mining? For 20 years mining and selling the ore to NPC's or ?
==Or? ... Fill the gaps in please, since the math to the formula is missing?
Controversial topic know, but intriguing nevertheless.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Find stuff players want and sell those items.

IDOC items are what made many rich. Duping made others rich.

The most I have had at one time is 250M. I got a EM drop and sold it on Atl. I spend gold so that was gone fast. I doubt I have a single item worth 100M except for pets. I do have 60 vet rewards I could sell.

Im more into spending.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some people go around to all shards doing their EM events to sell. Even getting 1 drop a month (regardless of shard, as long as it isn't SP or Mugen) can equate to an income of 3-6 platinum a year. Many are doing it perfectly legally.

But a few doing it (enough to make things difficult) are getting multiple drops, sometimes multiples on the same shard, by using illegal software to run multiple characters performing the exact same actions at the events, that appear to have (unintended? deliberate???) side effects that severely lag everyone else. Others have used similar tactics on low-pop shards to farm power scrolls, which can get you a few platinum a month. Again, many legally, others not so much.

Then, there's the wheelers and dealers, who buy rares, and resell them for profit. Some of them have turned a few million gold into hundreds of platinum, over years, if not decades - and before platinum existed, were known to have accounts to hold houses, just to hold their checks in secures (as a bank could only hold 125 items, including 1 million gold checks).

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I sold off 4 garden sheds yesterday from my vet rewards for 320 million. Now I have 321 million. Most I've ever had. Spent 1/2 of it on 3 pairs of britches, some feudal grips, and a serpents jawbone.

But I wonder about that guy who could just plop down 320 million on a moment's notice.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JMO, but why worry about it? Play the game and have fun. Most I've ever had on hand on any given shard was a plat, but I have items/pets/EM event items that totalled up are worth multiple plats of gold....but I really don't care. I'm not into deco, though I love my friends that are and have incredible houses. I don't buy much in game, most farmable high-end items, I...get this...farm! I do two things with gold...buy nice armor pieces to build/finish suits and scroll pets. My characters are all scrolled how I want them. I know some very wealthy folks in game, most are collectors, some have played the EM event game (WITHOUT multi*****g). Good for them. I've had them beg me to sell them certain pets of mine, and I've rezzed them all at various times. Just like RL, when you're dead in game your net worth doesn't mean sh*t lol.

Remember, when they pull the plug on the last server, the only thing anyone has who played this game is memories (with the exception of those involved in R/L $$ transactions.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most wealth in UO started with a lucky accident that got the person a lot of gold at one time (a good IDOC, a good EM item etc.) and then they invested it into buying/selling items for profit to increase their gold stash over time.

It's really not very hard to make a lot of gold quickly when you're starting with like 500m to invest, it's just getting to that point in the first place which is challenging.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most wealth in UO started with a lucky accident that got the person a lot of gold at one time (a good IDOC, a good EM item etc.) and then they invested it into buying/selling items for profit to increase their gold stash over time.

It's really not very hard to make a lot of gold quickly when you're starting with like 500m to invest, it's just getting to that point in the first place which is challenging.
Capt. Is right. It's possible to make a huge amount with buying selling and doing events.

However at the moment the market is a bit crazy so I would recommend to be careful.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you can make good money from idocs and events but this doesnt explain how all the gold got into the game. as long as gold selling sites/duping/scripting occur, this will always be an issue. warning, many event items are going way down in price, this is due to too many drops. some rare collectors already sold aot of their items because they can see the writing on the wall when it comes to events. some rare collectors have left the game. the 100s of items that drop every month has ben overloading the market. becareful investing in event items. ive ask for only 1 to 3 event items/drops per shard. u can make alot of money right now buy doing champs and selling power scrolls.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You'll get a lot of answers regarding high gold valued items, but very few answers as to how that amount of gold was farmed that fast. The answer is the many gold dupes we've all heard rumors about. It all started there, because this amount of gold out now was not made by making and selling maps back to the npc, or selling shadow ingot crafted armor back. It was duped in gigantic amounts, and then those players bought obscure items from someone else which laundered the gold, rinse/repeat. Ask yourself what in game action creates the most gold, answer should still be champ spawns, but the amount of gold out now would need every shard farming non stop for years...just my opinion.

Fenbay

Adventurer
The economy has been growing for 21 years … imagine all of the gold that was "created" over that time frame in addition to the dupes other nefarious methods... I wonder just how much gold exists on all OSI shards. Must be a staggering numbers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
More than likely the DEVs know...

Let's not forget the AFK script farmers that were in the painted caves killing trogs for days and months on end...

or countless other dungeons no one really goes to where they farmed 24/7 for ages...

As for making gold in-game I struggle with this all the time because I don't like to sell my EM items... I want to keep them ... I enjoyed the events and want to savor the memory with the item...

I collect a few things but I don't spend vast amounts of gold to get stuff... I also don't farm gold... infact most my characters don't even loot gold. Often I trade for things I need or want.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A new toon starts with 1k gold or did not sure anymore. If you make 7 toons thats 7k two accounts 14k times that by how many times you want to delete and remake. If you had the accounts to make 100k a day that way would be 700k a week. (I know people that have had 20 plus accounts and done this) Not a fun way but people have done it. Saw a vedio once and it talked about game economics and irl economics. The game keeps printing out gold. Kill a mogbat loot 30 gold go kill a 1000 that 30000 gold. With the game always makeing gold that is why the price always goes up.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A new toon starts with 1k gold or did not sure anymore. If you make 7 toons thats 7k two accounts 14k times that by how many times you want to delete and remake. If you had the accounts to make 100k a day that way would be 700k a week. (I know people that have had 20 plus accounts and done this) Not a fun way but people have done it. Saw a vedio once and it talked about game economics and irl economics. The game keeps printing out gold. Kill a mogbat loot 30 gold go kill a 1000 that 30000 gold. With the game always makeing gold that is why the price always goes up.
Did those same people that you know, tell you that you have to wait a week to delete new characters ? nice thought though.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did those same people that you know, tell you that you have to wait a week to delete new characters ? nice thought though.
This was along time ago. I never did it. And i thought it was 24 hour wait time. Did they change it ?

Only deleted a character to make room for shard transfers. Really no need to delete now that we have race, name change tokens and soul stones. Unless your at 7 and want to bring items from a diffent shard over.

While collecting gifts i noticed i still had young characters on a few shards on my alt account that was opend in 99 in think.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This was along time ago. I never did it. And i thought it was 24 hour wait time. Did they change it ?
When you make a new character you have to wait 7 days to delete it. It's been that way for as long as I know of.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remember you have many shards and many players. For sure not as many as the old days when UO claimed 250k active subs.

If you have 250k players killing monsters, doing maps, selling items to vendors, champ spawns.... - assume each one generated 100k of gold for their account a week. Easily for almost any skill level - that would be 25 plat a week. 100 plat a month, 1200 plat a year.

Now assume the average player base over time averages 75k subs (more in good years, less now). UO has been around for 20 years. 75k subs is 7.5plat a week or 30 plat a month or 360 plat ayear x 20 years = 7200 plat. Now assume you have another 15k average subs over 20 years that are your daily players. Easily generating 500k or 1m gold a week. 15k x 1m = 15 plat a week or 60 plat a month or 720plat a year x 20 = 14,400 plat. Add it up and its likely 20,000 plat floating around UO via legitimate means.

Now add in various vendor bugs (when I first started you could make ballot boxes and smelt for ingots then make heater shields and sell to NPC's for like 300 gold. I know my first guild leaders were doing that to pay for the guild house.

Then add in various dups and other nefarious means.

Then add in the script miners and the like generating items that could be sold for profit and you probably have another 10k plat floating around.

So then thats like 30k plat across all shards or on average 1k plat per shard. Now some shards are super concentrated like ATL, PAC, GL. Assume factor of 10 to 1 to others so those shards might have 10k or more plat.

There are VERY few gold sinks in the game. Insurance and vendors are the biggest, then comes things like housing, NPC buying etc. Its not enough to pull out these sorts of amounts of money from the economy. Imagine if there was a tax of 5m gold a month to keep your house - the available gold would start to shrink on the shards.

I think people are looking at the wealth in the game today and thinking how could so few players come up with that wealth but with all the idocs and such over the years - the player wealth has been collapsed into a smaller group. Imagine your countries population and imagine all the stuff stays but 90% of the people die. You'd all end up with 9x houses worth of stuff, cars, etc. Also remember that you could only store so much gold in checks in the bank. So some of the rich had 100k checks in their banks or on vendors. Vendors used to drop with checks in their packs of gold. Maybe alot of leakage happened but in general alot of wealth was distributed to more players.

I've never liked IDOCs in a declining population because it is deflationary. IE more of stuff to go around so it makes everything less valuable/rare. I've always thought IDOCs should be like storage lockers. Highest bidder gets the house. Bid via house sign. Gold is sinked out of the game. Then we could limit the inflationary action of IDOCs. Its too late now - most of the huge transfer of wealth has already happened.

For better or worse - the economy is what it is. The biggest issue with the economy though is that it is very difficult for new players through normal gameplay to get to a 'decent' level in the game. Artifacts are 100m or more and monsters still max out at a few K per kill. This has created a HUGE gulf between a new player and a vet. The only way to really approach the vet playing level is either : acquire event rares or other artifact drops you can sell for cash (ie get a tangle or 120 PS or something that sells for 30,40m or more) or purchase items you can sell for gold. Transfer token at $20 can be sold for 100m gold for example.

I'd like to see some better gold sinks in the game to suck some of the gold out while making gold drop faster to help new players 'catch up'. Castles have 5m a month tax, 18x18 1m a month etc. Miasma drops 10k gold etc. Then gold is sucked out from the vet players while new players can acquire gold faster to pay for things they need. It is a bit of wealth redistribution but something is needed to bring the economy in line. As it is its like a bunch of royals running around with hundreds of millions and no one is really out 'farming' for gold. They farm for artifacts and things to sell because its faster than killing for gold. You see it all the time - champ spawns with 300k gold on the ground as the people run off with the scrolls that can be worth 10's of millions.

The very old days of the game people worked for wealth because everyone was generally poor with Pks and the like. Now everyone has little incentive to 'work' or hunt monsters or do anything to survive. It feels odd in a medieval themed game. Its a bunch of rich running around searching for the holy grail instead of working to survive.

I remember early days post AOS where I was saving up for a house, or for better armor, or a powerscroll. Now its just like buy whatever you like because wealth is so high.

I actually get more pleasure at times playing on shards where I'm not established and working to get items, buy armor, etc. That part of the game is fun for me. Those days are long gone on the shards where I have developed characters and hundreds of millions in wealth. Feels silly to toss that 20k in the bank.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Controversial topic u say!!!! Okies lets go..............

Event drops have spirraled the economy out of control [FULL STOP] end of topic...

With the EM's effectivey GIVING AWAY 500m - 1P drops x25-50 at numerous events every day!!!

Crazy each drop 500m -1 plat EM drops at a rate of churning them out roughly +25 -50 a day!!!!!.... across all shard ...lots of event nearly most days or every other ...

Do the maths free drops worth 500m x 25 drops a day x 365 days a year...thats the miniumn

We will DEFINATE need a HIGHER CURRENCY THEN THE PLAT !!!........ maybe 100 plat = 1 crystallium for jezze sake

mark my words... it wont be long.......and YES the answer lies in the statement above...

diabolical

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You all have money but I know for a fact that there are a ton of folk like me who generate less than 500M in a year...

There are 100's of players who don't make any money but the barest of minimums... dozens who hardly or rarely play at all... just maintain a house...

Taxing houses would make people like me quit.

There are and could be tons of gold sinks in the game if the DEVs really wanted to remove large quantities of gold... everything from buying titles to buying fancy mounts/ethys to fancy hair colors and styles... all of which would be more than appropriate... they could add all sorts of decorative junk to pull gold from the game... instead they put things on their money market which most folk wouldn't buy for RL money... if they made a way to allow you to buy a lot of that crap for in game gold they might do better at reducing the gold in game... Just my .02 cents.

The idea of the Keep/Castle thing is great they need more stuff like that. I'd pay for wallpaper... I'd pay for floor tiles... and most any super decorative things.

Supposedly we have an artist that can do better than the outfits seen on the "official" forum etc... but I say to the DEVs put your money where your mouth is and lets see it. Because those robes are NOT it... seriously... they are not. If she can do better I wanna see it... most the art that comes out of late lacks detail and texture... take those gray walls... they have ZERO texture and look like just some blank gray box with white lines painted on them.... hideous... IMO... doesn't come anywhere near the texture and detail of the old walls.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Pretty much all the changes that destroyed the economy of less populated shards were made by the Dev team, shard shields, EM drops and the switch from a crafter-based economy to one where items just dropped off mobs. I remember the days when you queued up for repairs and asked the local Smith to make you armour and weapons. We had a real economy back then and people interacted on a daily basis. I saved up for a week to get my first decent armour, I spent every spare hour in Despise! I really miss how the game used to be. I find it unbelievable that we have store items like the robes and hair-styles that would not pass QA in any other game, let alone the fact that they cost ridiculous amounts of real money. Some of that facial hair looks like comedy items....:(

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooooo.. How does it come about that we come about a bankroll of 20-100 plats?
Its not that many players who have that amount of gold. So people can name 10 people, or a 100 maybe, in a game with thousands of players even 100 people isnt much.
1k players its 1%, of the population, 2kplayers 0,5% if its 10k players its like 0,1% of the population, that being said its alot more players with 1-5plat.

1plat is achievable for all players with normal gameplay, just add some time.
Do pvm with Roof, Doom drops, melisande, dreadhorn, corgul, champion spanws etc and just sell the rewards.
If not lucky first time try again and again, even with limited gameplay (like most) in 2-3 months you should have some items to sell.
If you consume the items yourselves or give away to friends it will take alot more time ofcourse.

The trick part would be for a newer player without skills or armor to make such a character to be able to do the encounters above.
This is a problem in UO as alot of people do end game stuff. A new player would lack the resources and knowledge to achieve this.
But all gotta start somewhere.

As a sidenote as a vet you get rewarded for staying in the game for years, veteran rewards.
I have 8 20year reward to pick, 4 13year, and 5 12year.
If I wanted money Id pick those and sell, but whats the point when you after 20years have a house, scrolled chars, em rewards and money in bank.

As for moneydrains Im all for that, close the gap between old vets and newer players.
Vendors are the biggest one in game atm, but auction safes kinda ruins it. My vendors take 2m a day, thats 7-800m a year, on a shard like Atlantic it wouldnt be a problem, but on lower production shards where stuff remains unsold for days and weeks its barely substainable, but If I dont sell the items who else would? gotta keep it alive

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remember you have many shards and many players. For sure not as many as the old days when UO claimed 250k active subs.

If you have 250k players killing monsters, doing maps, selling items to vendors, champ spawns.... - assume each one generated 100k of gold for their account a week. Easily for almost any skill level - that would be 25 plat a week. 100 plat a month, 1200 plat a year.

Now assume the average player base over time averages 75k subs (more in good years, less now). UO has been around for 20 years. 75k subs is 7.5plat a week or 30 plat a month or 360 plat ayear x 20 years = 7200 plat. Now assume you have another 15k average subs over 20 years that are your daily players. Easily generating 500k or 1m gold a week. 15k x 1m = 15 plat a week or 60 plat a month or 720plat a year x 20 = 14,400 plat. Add it up and its likely 20,000 plat floating around UO via legitimate means.

Now add in various vendor bugs (when I first started you could make ballot boxes and smelt for ingots then make heater shields and sell to NPC's for like 300 gold. I know my first guild leaders were doing that to pay for the guild house.

Then add in various dups and other nefarious means.

Then add in the script miners and the like generating items that could be sold for profit and you probably have another 10k plat floating around.

So then thats like 30k plat across all shards or on average 1k plat per shard. Now some shards are super concentrated like ATL, PAC, GL. Assume factor of 10 to 1 to others so those shards might have 10k or more plat.

There are VERY few gold sinks in the game. Insurance and vendors are the biggest, then comes things like housing, NPC buying etc. Its not enough to pull out these sorts of amounts of money from the economy. Imagine if there was a tax of 5m gold a month to keep your house - the available gold would start to shrink on the shards.

I think people are looking at the wealth in the game today and thinking how could so few players come up with that wealth but with all the idocs and such over the years - the player wealth has been collapsed into a smaller group. Imagine your countries population and imagine all the stuff stays but 90% of the people die. You'd all end up with 9x houses worth of stuff, cars, etc. Also remember that you could only store so much gold in checks in the bank. So some of the rich had 100k checks in their banks or on vendors. Vendors used to drop with checks in their packs of gold. Maybe alot of leakage happened but in general alot of wealth was distributed to more players.

I've never liked IDOCs in a declining population because it is deflationary. IE more of stuff to go around so it makes everything less valuable/rare. I've always thought IDOCs should be like storage lockers. Highest bidder gets the house. Bid via house sign. Gold is sinked out of the game. Then we could limit the inflationary action of IDOCs. Its too late now - most of the huge transfer of wealth has already happened.

For better or worse - the economy is what it is. The biggest issue with the economy though is that it is very difficult for new players through normal gameplay to get to a 'decent' level in the game. Artifacts are 100m or more and monsters still max out at a few K per kill. This has created a HUGE gulf between a new player and a vet. The only way to really approach the vet playing level is either : acquire event rares or other artifact drops you can sell for cash (ie get a tangle or 120 PS or something that sells for 30,40m or more) or purchase items you can sell for gold. Transfer token at $20 can be sold for 100m gold for example.

I'd like to see some better gold sinks in the game to suck some of the gold out while making gold drop faster to help new players 'catch up'. Castles have 5m a month tax, 18x18 1m a month etc. Miasma drops 10k gold etc. Then gold is sucked out from the vet players while new players can acquire gold faster to pay for things they need. It is a bit of wealth redistribution but something is needed to bring the economy in line. As it is its like a bunch of royals running around with hundreds of millions and no one is really out 'farming' for gold. They farm for artifacts and things to sell because its faster than killing for gold. You see it all the time - champ spawns with 300k gold on the ground as the people run off with the scrolls that can be worth 10's of millions.

The very old days of the game people worked for wealth because everyone was generally poor with Pks and the like. Now everyone has little incentive to 'work' or hunt monsters or do anything to survive. It feels odd in a medieval themed game. Its a bunch of rich running around searching for the holy grail instead of working to survive.

I remember early days post AOS where I was saving up for a house, or for better armor, or a powerscroll. Now its just like buy whatever you like because wealth is so high.

I actually get more pleasure at times playing on shards where I'm not established and working to get items, buy armor, etc. That part of the game is fun for me. Those days are long gone on the shards where I have developed characters and hundreds of millions in wealth. Feels silly to toss that 20k in the bank.
Your post is flawed. You can't say script miners producing anything, creates gold, it doesn't. Only gold creates gold. And your post is full of "things worth millions", again this doesn't create gold, it creates value.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Its not that many players who have that amount of gold. So people can name 10 people, or a 100 maybe, in a game with thousands of players even 100 people isnt much.
1k players its 1%, of the population, 2kplayers 0,5% if its 10k players its like 0,1% of the population, that being said its alot more players with 1-5plat.

1plat is achievable for all players with normal gameplay, just add some time.
Do pvm with Roof, Doom drops, melisande, dreadhorn, corgul, champion spanws etc and just sell the rewards.
If not lucky first time try again and again, even with limited gameplay (like most) in 2-3 months you should have some items to sell.
If you consume the items yourselves or give away to friends it will take alot more time ofcourse.

The trick part would be for a newer player without skills or armor to make such a character to be able to do the encounters above.
This is a problem in UO as alot of people do end game stuff. A new player would lack the resources and knowledge to achieve this.
But all gotta start somewhere.

As a sidenote as a vet you get rewarded for staying in the game for years, veteran rewards.
I have 8 20year reward to pick, 4 13year, and 5 12year.
If I wanted money Id pick those and sell, but whats the point when you after 20years have a house, scrolled chars, em rewards and money in bank.

As for moneydrains Im all for that, close the gap between old vets and newer players.
Vendors are the biggest one in game atm, but auction safes kinda ruins it. My vendors take 2m a day, thats 7-800m a year, on a shard like Atlantic it wouldnt be a problem, but on lower production shards where stuff remains unsold for days and weeks its barely substainable, but If I dont sell the items who else would? gotta keep it alive

Sell to who? People on Atl? Not everyone has the ability to go to Atl and sell their stuff... I wouldn't go there you couldn't pay me to go there and I prefer not to shop there... Much of what I have I got for myself... with my own work ... Please...

Most people don't play like that... believe it or not a vast majority of people don't read forums, don't go to EM Events and certainly don't go running to Atl to sell everything they get. Most people play just to be with friends. That is what keeps me in UO... don't know about most others but I give a rats about Atl or selling or making plats. I don't play this game to work... I play to have fun and relax... but anymore it's one frustration after another...

Used to enjoy many things and I agree 100% with @ShriNayne the game was a heck of a lot more fun before it became all about items and loot and stuff... when I went to hunt and would go to the Blacksmithy in Britain near the Graveyard and PorkChopJesus would repair my equipment for a few gold coins and I would listen to tales and such at the Tales and Ales Tavern... was a good time back then when it was more about community and friendships and stories.

Now everything is about greed... you go to an EM Event and can barely follow the story because 15 people find they have to cast EV's and RC's every second on top of the EM .... stand there with their dragon in a tiny room because why????? Do they honestly think that some special mob is going to give them some 150+ Mill item??? NO everyone ought to know damn well by know how the stupid drop system works... if you aren't asked to split in 2 groups then leave the stupid beast outside and pay attention... if you don't want to listen to the story then stand outside and wait for the crap spawn to keep your ADD mind from being too idle... and let the others enjoy the hard work the EMs put into the event.

It's all gotten to be such a **** show that it's no longer enjoyable. I can pretty much play out each and every event for you... meet, get gated to everywhere because most folk are too lazy or too slow to get what's going on or to be able to figure out how to get somewhere on their own... get led from one spot to another fight a few meaningless beasts... but don't show till you think it's the end of an arc or the end of the month and no drops have been done because you know that's when they will be and then wait for the 2 gates... gate in your 4 alts and alt tab away at the whatever it is and hope you got something to sell to the hungry SOBs who just want your drop... Meanwhile those you stepped on shoved around refused to rez and told to STFU so you could get your drop tried real hard to enjoy the event and left empty handed though they would have really liked to have that drop since they did 99% of the work decifering what was going on for the rest of the crowd... they were there trying to enjoy the hard work put in by the EM to bring a story and fun for the evening... they would have liked that thing to set on their wall and remember that event and how bravely they fought for it and how hard they worked to move the story along... but whatever...

Nevermind that most people can no longer attend because their computer has a meltdown when there is a boss with all the 100's of adds on it so the screen flashes, the fires are all over with the 20 dragons, 15 dogs and 55 other players even after being divided into two groups...

Even with all the supposed stuff turned OFF the game still locks up, randomly crashes, and you still get frozen sometimes and have to ctrl+alt+del to get the task manager to shut down UO because it's locked up ..... And we are supposed to think this is "fun"...

Meanwhile we have an event in Khaldun where you can't target anything .... **** jumps about all over the place people drag dozens of mobs onto you getting you killed again and again and again.... so you can work your tail off for 1 to 3 drops per run... again... this is supposed to be fun... but no you are supposed to somehow be superhuman and whatever on a super massive wonderful computer with the best connection ever... (Mind you I get near 1GB download with a 50mbs upload and still can't seem to do jack in game)... but somehow there are these people pulling 20 to 30 drops each time... know who they are? Yep their the ones that drag that pack of mobs all over to you and then just stand there and put a tree or cast wildfire on it while it kills you.... your pet and everyone else in the area...

or they are the Sampire dragging all that crap to the front so you can die... and they can get all the drops...

This is what the game has come to... if their is a way to grief others and hog the spawn and get all the stuff so they can make their 50+ plat a week to sell for RL money then yeah... they are doing it...

To the point that anymore it disgusts me. UO isn't UO anymore. It's a grindfest **** show.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@MalagAste I feel your pain and I honestly can't disagree with anything you said :(
I'm willing to bet that legitimately gained gold/plat is a drop in the ocean compared to the duped/scripter-earned money, you only have to look at how little a million sells for on 'those' sites to see how easy it was to 'earn'.
Most of the worst problems of this game are ignored, tolerated or even encouraged in some cases because we wouldn't want to upset anyone but the average honest player who isn't in it for the money.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty much all the changes that destroyed the economy of less populated shards were made by the Dev team, shard shields, EM drops and the switch from a crafter-based economy to one where items just dropped off mobs. I remember the days when you queued up for repairs and asked the local Smith to make you armour and weapons. We had a real economy back then and people interacted on a daily basis. I saved up for a week to get my first decent armour, I spent every spare hour in Despise! I really miss how the game used to be. I find it unbelievable that we have store items like the robes and hair-styles that would not pass QA in any other game, let alone the fact that they cost ridiculous amounts of real money. Some of that facial hair looks like comedy items....:(
Bingo! Wise words!

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well... I never was concerned about gold. I have 82 Mills on my bank atm since I sold very early in the Kaldhun event my first first aid belt for 60 mills. I am happy with that since it means that I can buy an expensive scroll for my pets I want to train. That's it.

There are so many aspects where u can enjoy the game as a veteran. The most important and the most precious thing on my account are my skills, on chars or on soul stones. Unlike WoW or other games, I still can come back to UO and can join to do something significant. OK, I don't pvp any more, so maybe if I would like to join these folks I should have much more gold on my account to build up competitive suits. But besides that, I can do what I want to do.

Regards, Fizzle

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gold is easy to do, if you have time and go to the right spots, i got a lot of gold over the years, but i always spend more then i get, each item you buy make you need another top tier to match, its how uo pvm and pvp works.

Deco and events is like that, each event deco will make you want the next one, in that process you spend more and more.

but gold is easy to make, do spawns, do idocs, do roof.

actually i'm making near 100m day only in khaldun.
some lucky days i won 300m a day only doing spawns.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your post is flawed. You can't say script miners producing anything, creates gold, it doesn't. Only gold creates gold. And your post is full of "things worth millions", again this doesn't create gold, it creates value.
For a long time NPC's payed and obscene amount of gold for shadow heater shields. Mine shadow. Make shield. Sell for gold. Right now an NPC will pay you over 800 gold for a shadow heater shield.
It takes 18 ingots to make one. That's over 44 gold per ingot out of thin air because its an NPC and no limit on how many you can sell to an NPC.

And by the way new players - thats a great way to make $$. Mine and make heater shields and sell.
Do it while gaining mining and BS at the same time.

Last edited:

Jacob Centeno Centeno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@MalagAste

You spit truth. You are why I play. People like you who care about the world we invest so much time in. We invest our time for value and people who care are the ones who return value. It is the honest trade or the trade that makes someone else's uo experience that much better. It is the time spent to teach someone some far and unknown aspect of the game, the person who sits and explores every aspect of the hunt to figure out how to best it. I love the little gems this community brings to light.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For a long time NPC's payed and obscene amount of gold for shadow heater shields. Mine shadow. Make shield. Sell for gold. Right now an NPC will pay you over 800 gold for a shadow heater shield.
It takes 18 ingots to make one. That's over 44 gold per ingot out of thin air because its an NPC and no limit on how many you can sell to an NPC.

And by the way new players - thats a great way to make $$. Mine and make heater shields and sell.
Do it while gaining mining and BS at the same time.
I had forgotten about the shadow heaters! just tried it to see if it was working on LA. Sonuvagun ... 20 heaters netted 16.3K gold.

Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste

You spit truth. You are why I play. People like you who care about the world we invest so much time in. We invest our time for value and people who care are the ones who return value. It is the honest trade or the trade that makes someone else's uo experience that much better. It is the time spent to teach someone some far and unknown aspect of the game, the person who sits and explores every aspect of the hunt to figure out how to best it. I love the little gems this community brings to light.
Here's one you may not know about ... Deceit brazier. Level 1, first room on left - almost across from the mummies. Double-clicking it can spawn 1 of **something**. I've had dragons, mongbats, fire steeds and more. I just did it a while ago and got a daemon. <shrug> Not many folks remember (or even know) this.

This is timed so you can't just sit there spawning stuff. I think it's 15 minutes or so.

Jacob Centeno Centeno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Here's one you may not know about ... Deceit brazier. Level 1, first room on left - almost across from the mummies. Double-clicking it can spawn 1 of **something**. I've had dragons, mongbats, fire steeds and more. I just did it a while ago and got a daemon. <shrug> Not many folks remember (or even know) this.

This is timed so you can't just sit there spawning stuff. I think it's 15 minutes or so.
Haha, wow that is cool and hilarious.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Edit: deleted my comment. Got all worked up because duping is still the issue, but didn't add anything new to the already ad nauseum conversation.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Fun fact - I loot most non-antique/non-cursed stuff I find with 60 or more resists (and some cursed stuff even better). I then try to enhance it all. Half or more of the stuff breaks (especially the tailor stuff), and most of what survives gets donated to our Player Center on LA.

I routinely (about once every 2-3 months) donate 50-100 items that would have been priced at 5-7 digit values on Atlantic vendors, for players to take for FREE. Though, we've had to curtail just sticking most of it for free on vendors or in chests, because people have been taking all the stuff to either unravel or to take back to ATL to sell. But, if someone asks, if the person running the PC is on, we'll try to make them a suit.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I run across a new or returning player who says their gear is old outdated or they are dying all the time etc... i take them to what is basically my warehouse of crap I've looted that's too good to unravel but not better than what I have... and I piece together what I can till they at least have all 70's and for mages 100% LRC at the very least... usually with a few perks...

I don't sell stuff... at least not often... if someone is begging in Gen Chat for a particular something (Often Deco related) if I'm feeling generous I just give it to them... otherwise I do actually sell it especially if I know they have the money for it and it won't hurt them any to pay for it... If it's someone who I "know" is full of money I might be a little evil and tell them to make it worth my while to stop what I'm doing to go get it... but I have sold everything from Vet rewards to Heritage tokens and Cleanup rewards...

But the fact of the matter is the more frustrated I become because the game isn't working as intended... ie crashing, targetting issues etc... the less and less I want to play... I mostly just play because this is where my friends are... I don't play to get frustrated... I certainly don't play to be bored out of my mind grinding the same crap over and over and over for little to no reward... and I NEVER play UO to play Solo... if I wanted to play a game solo I'd be playing No Man's Sky, Skyrim or my new Solo not solo game Black Desert Online (which really isn't a solo game it's and MMO but you pretty much play solo)...

IMO UO is meant to be played with a community.... with friends and for FUN. Not for stuff, not for making a living... and certainly not to grind boring crap solo.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
On Siege I normally auction off drops, except those I like, I have also gave Siege drops away to other people as they did nothing for my Deco there. Now on Sonoma are all my drops I kept because I either liked them or I did not get my asking price on the shard where I got the drop, Our drops on Sonoma

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i told ya the answer earlier... please dont ignore the truth

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Controversial topic u say!!!! Okies lets go..............

Event drops have spirraled the economy out of control [FULL STOP] end of topic...

With the EM's effectivey GIVING AWAY 500m - 1P drops x25-50 at numerous events every day!!!

Crazy each drop 500m -1 plat EM drops at a rate of churning them out roughly +25 -50 a day!!!!!.... across all shard ...lots of event nearly most days or every other ...

Do the maths free drops worth 500m x 25 drops a day x 365 days a year...thats the miniumn

We will DEFINATE need a HIGHER CURRENCY THEN THE PLAT !!!........ maybe 100 plat = 1 crystallium for jezze sake

mark my words... it wont be long.......and YES the answer lies in the statement above...

diabolical

So much wrong. Did you go back 10 years for those EM item prices?

Drops nowadays go for 50-175m and rarely some will go for 175-400.

Even then, its not like the EM items themselves are gold nor do they "produce" gold. The gold itself is still being generated in the game by other means.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So much wrong. Did you go back 10 years for those EM item prices?

Drops nowadays go for 50-175m and rarely some will go for 175-400.

Even then, its not like the EM items themselves are gold nor do they "produce" gold. The gold itself is still being generated in the game by other means.
AGREE : Also, the EM events/drops do not generate gold in any way. They also are not a gold sink for the game. They only provide an avenue by which traders are shifting gold back and forth hoping to make a profit, or collect items. The original gold and plats were generated via the other methods listed in thread.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we all know were the silly amount of gold came from........ the duped 1m checks .....by the millions/ billions .....well thankfully that avenue is well closed

my point is still very very valid......EM drop prices will continue to drop as they keep getting churned out by the bucket full weekly....kinda ...too many drops for too few collectors to hoard........hey whatever!!! ....[end]

whats the next higher currency after the plat......may as well get a name ready for it

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
EM drops are a nice way for new players to get some needed cash, other than resort to RMT's sites. And we all have seen the prices drop in these somewhat. This has been going on for many years though. Part of the game evolution. Frankly, lots of people are not even aware of EM drops and selling them, esp casual players.