• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Planning out my crafter/gatherer, need advice.

Mobidoy

Adventurer
Hello all,

I want to get back in the crafting game. I am planning on having a dedicated crafter and a gatherer. To make this happen, I would need 2 Characters and 5 soustones.

First character would be the crafter using the soulstones.

I was thinking of doing a Gargoyle for the boost in imbuing.

Skills:
120 smith
120 tailor
120 imbuing
100 arms lore
100 tinkering
100 carpentry
60 points left

On stones :

100 Fletching
100 Alchemy
100 Cooking
100 inscription

with an extra stone to switch the skills.

Gatherer, I am still not set on race, Human or Elf ?

Skills:

100 Lumberjacking
100 Mining
and melee skills to protect my self while gathering.

What you guys usualy use ?
Any recommendation ?

So far i have a Sampire, a Mystic Mage, I may go with a fisherman and a tamer later on. Then will think of getting 7th character slot for something else I would like.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Crafter:

A. I wouldn't put the Inscription on any character that has less than 120 Magery. It gives buffs to spellcasting, and the special things it can do are worthless without Magery (you can't make spellbooks with additional random powers without 100+, preferably 120 in the spell skills in question (Magery, Necro and Mysticism spellbooks), and the increased spell DI and other bonuses to defensive spells are wasted). I personally run a Mystic/Mage/Weaver with inscription, Focus, Eval (all 6 six skills maxed, 2 via equipment) and 60 med, with the option of swapping out one casting skill for Resist or fishing at 120 (or to swap in Necro if I need to craft a Necro spellbook). That's before factoring in you need Focus, Med, or both, and maxed out int/mana on any character you want to scribe spell scrolls with.

B. Carpentry, to craft everything, needs 45 Music (can be gotten on jewelry combined with hand-held items, talismans and song-woven mantle, for an elf - not sure if SWM is alterable to garg sleeves and retain the music), 70 or 75 Tailor (forget which), 80 Blacksmith (60 can come from an ASH+60), 80-ish Magery (you can get most of it from equipment, BUT as Magery and Music are in the same group, they have to be on separate jewelry sets), and tinkering (for the lockable boxes).

I'd suggest you might be be able to squeeze enough magery and music from the 60 points remaining to complete the support skill set (Music, Magery) for Carpentry via jewelry, spellbook & talisman (125 skill points needed, 60 from skill points, 65 from equipment - you could do 35 Magery from a Ring and event spellbook (the Treasures of Tokuno spellbooks are rather cheap), 30 music from a combination of bracelet, SWM, and talisman - possibly swapping out a singing axe or Dryad bow for the spellbook for crafting instruments if you need to).

Gatherer:

Elves with Mining and Lumberjacking have bonuses to amount of digs/chops, and a minor bonus to colored ore (1.2 times the human chance per dig/chop on a spot that is currently colored, which is a different percentage in each resource square). Contrary to statements in the past, race plays no part of the color (or lack thereof) of a resource square, and humans do not have a fixed 40% chance for color or elves an additive +20% (for 60%; even if a spot gave a human 40%, an elf would only be 48% (40% x 120%)).
Humans have a 10% bonus (10% chance of +1 ore for mining, get 11 logs per chop with LJ), and have a +16.7% increase (1/6 greater than the other races) in carry limits before being overweight (all characters have a 550 stone backpack).
The elf has a clear advantage for lumberjacking, but is more reliant on pack animals.
The numbers for mining about balance out. Using a Fire Beetle to smelt on, a human can mine for longer stretches before having to unload than an elf, even without a pack animal, using less Bag of sending charges and wasting less time going to and from home.

For LEATHER gathering, humans have an overwhelming advantage, both from their weight allowance and that they have a +10%-ish bonus to leather amounts that is cumulative with a bonus from using a Harvester's Blade (a relatively easy/cheap quest item from skara).
IF a creature normally gives 10 leather:
Elves and gargs get 10 leather.
Humans get 11.
Elf/Garg with Harvester Blade gets 11 (cut and put into the pack)
Humans with Harvester Blade get 13 cut leather into their pack.
For 20-leather creatures like dragons, the numbers are 20/22 for non-humans (the second number with HB), 22/25 for humans.
And so on...

So, even if you make your miner/LJ an elf, you need to hunt for leather with a human (using one of your other characters - after all, there's no required skill other than "kill things" for leather).

Mobidoy

Adventurer
Thanx for the info.

Another question, is still worthy to raise Blacksmith and Tailoring to 120 with Imbuing and reforging or should I stick to GM and keep the skill points for something else ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's still worth it (especially smith) for a couple of reasons:

1. BODs are based on real skill. Color ratio for the half of Smith BODs that are armor category goes from 50/50 colored/iron (well, 50% weapons/25% colored armor/25% iron armor) to 70/30 (50%/35%/15%) at 110 Blacksmith, and 90/10 (50%/45%/5%) at 120. The colored BODs are important for getting the runics you will need for reforging (as each reforge uses multiple charges off the runic hammer, and you can runic reforge tinker weapons with the Smith runics, IIRC). However, you can still craft everything that smith BODs need with 100 and a high-end ASH - you just get 75% Iron crap BODS instead of 55% (which really adds up over time).
  2. Tailor BODs don't have that kind of the bonus, but don't really need it given how many larges give Barbed kits. However, the exceptional Studded and Bone BODs are extremely costly to fill without 120 skill AND a tailor exceptional bonus talisman on top of it.

Trithemius

Visitor
I have spent a bit of time looking at this, and went with the following template.

120 Imbuing
120 blacksmithy
100 carpentry
100 Tinkering
120 Tailoring
100 Arms lore
30 music (+15 bracelet for 45)
30 magery (+15 ring, +15 Tomb of Lost Knowledge)

This gives me the ability to make both the Magery house add's on and musical instruments...also means with my LRC suit i can move around.