• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Plain Metal Chest

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple of folks have asked me where I get the metal chest that are not Labled Smuggler or Paragon Chest. And even one person told me I must be using a exploit to obtain them :)

For Folks that do not know this is fairly ancient content and totally not a cheat or exploit :)

They come from plague beast (Not the Plague Beast Lords) If you have a Provo Bard simply head to a swamp with plague beast and provo everything in the swamp onto them. They eat pretty much everything provo on them and heal. The more you feed them the more Gold and Un-Named Chest they will have in their corpse when you kill them. The chest come in two flavors Grey and grey with gold trim and can be dyed with a metallic dye tub. I usually spend around 30 minutes feeding one and then kill it with a couple of RCs (The more you feed them the stronger they get) The one in the screen shot I fed around 5 lizard men, 2 bog things and couple of alligators, so it was not very rich and only had one chest........ but it was just for the screenshot :)

Anyway if you didn't know that is where my un-named chest come from and anyone with a bard high enough to provo stuff on them can obtain the chest.

plague1.png plague2.png plague3.png

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played this game for 20 years and can still learn something new!
You can even still do surgery on them with healthy glands and mutation cores............ But I sure can't remember how, but bet there is still a old guide floating around about how to do it :)

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can even still do surgery on them with healthy glands and mutation cores............ But I sure can't remember how, but bet there is still a old guide floating around about how to do it :)
Do you know if there is a chance of getting a chest without provoking or does it require provoking to get them?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Paralysis, it still works too. LOL Man I love seeds and the system that came with these beasts. I think it was when we got Ilsh and Juka/Meer with Swamp Dragons. This was my favorite time in UO. I love love plants, but they ruined the tribarrel and players asked to keep it that way for their rare content. Rares are such a bane on this game.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paralysis, it still works too. LOL Man I love seeds and the system that came with these beasts. I think it was when we got Ilsh and Juka/Meer with Swamp Dragons. This was my favorite time in UO. I love love plants, but they ruined the tribarrel and players asked to keep it that way for their rare content. Rares are such a bane on this game.
Yeah there was some great content back around LBR. I still miss Yew being a big swamp :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I could be wrong but I *think* they're worth some decent clean up points and I think that's where they all go, in the dumpster.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Although I think it would make more sense for these to be a fishing item or treasure hunters item or something than being magically created in some plague beasts stomach :p

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

You still in need of tribarrel seeds?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
About that plague beast surgery minigame, do not attempt it if you have high blood pressure! I wanted one of the glacial mutation cores you get from it and spent a few hours attempting to play doctor. Yikes! I was less relaxed than when I started, and I'll never do that again (or trade my glacial brain)!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah there was some great content back around LBR. I still miss Yew being a big swamp :)
Blasphemy!!!!!! NO! You know how long my characters worked and slaved trying to find a cure for their beloved Yew!?!?!

Swamps belong around trash like Britain and Trinsic. Not in Yew with it's beautiful trees!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correction :
I have over the years gotten many plague beasts to get more then 1 chest per and not needed to provo them ...
Its a bit more time consuming but a few ev's and critters around you can "feed" a beast with their dead corps which they do when low on health ...
They reabsorb their spawn and any dead around to regain health.
Ev's and a good barrage of cor por's and your good.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best I have done was after a couple of hours of feeding one was 7 chest in one and good pile of gold. Yeah guess you can feed them that way but is REALLY slow. Much easier to just lead the whole swamp to one and provo everything on it........ Even faster and easier if you have access to a porch in the swamps :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I think it would make more sense for these to be a fishing item or treasure hunters item or something than being magically created in some plague beasts stomach :p
Nope fishing already has the fished up chest "Recovered from a ship wreck" I Only want plain ones for engraving wthout all the mumbo jumbo where it came from on it :)

I could be wrong but I *think* they're worth some decent clean up points and I think that's where they all go, in the dumpster.
plain metal chest.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blasphemy!!!!!! NO! You know how long my characters worked and slaved trying to find a cure for their beloved Yew!?!?!

Swamps belong around trash like Britain and Trinsic. Not in Yew with it's beautiful trees!
Sure destroy the fragile Northern Wetlands :)

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you know if there is a chance of getting a chest without provoking or does it require provoking to get them?
You can get them from just throwing EV's. I do it all the time with my crafter and my non provo mage from my castle in the swamp. It does take quite a few and while they are gaining chances to have a chest or 2 on them, they also are gaining stats so they get stronger all the time. Provo is the fastest way for sure.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope fishing already has the fished up chest "Recovered from a ship wreck" I Only want plain ones for engraving wthout all the mumbo jumbo where it came from on it :)

View attachment 76177
That orientation for containers gives no clean up points. Try turning the container the other direction and check again if it is worth something.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recovered from a shipwreck with same graphic are 100. I'll look around for a metal chest later and see what mine say.
Just got these today guess the screen shots are not credible :( But for the record the PB Chest have never had turn in point value :)

pmc.png

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Just got these today guess the screen shots are not credible :( But for the record the PB Chest have never had turn in point value :)

View attachment 76190
I was just mildly curious if there was a difference between a really old one and a new one. But not curious enough to actually hunt one up yet lol. I figure if I had any they would be old. But I believe ya, just curious.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks. I fed 2 of them for a while and got 3 chests.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the reason they are uncommon now is that they are not worth anything. A lot of vets did not know about them and new people coming in never heard about them. The funny thing is that UO has a massive amount of old content that is still there and active that many folks don't even know about or have forgot about. I think we forget just how big our game world is and just how much there is that can be done it. LOL I hate the Roof (I like the roof drops) but hate actually doing it. On the other hand I can burn hours collecting these chest, or sticking green thorns in the swamp to collect deco vines or farm the hive for hours because I want a picnic basket or spend way too many hours killing fan dancers collecting that so uber powerful origami paper that is so powerful and game changing it can only drop on like 1 out of 200 fan dancers :) Or stealing the dried herbs from Moonglow or horse shoes from Bucs Den. One thing I have never been in UO is bored and not be able to find something fun to do.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I do now and then, the danger is feeding them so much they're really hard to kill when you stop feeding them :D
I also dye them with a metal dye tub. Purple ones sell best on Europa.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I have one of the plain metal ones at my Sonoma Keep, had forgotten how I got it till I saw this thread. So I went out to the swamps near me and got another chest this time trimmed in gold. Just look for Drakelord's vendors on the roof, sorry not for sale.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I do now and then, the danger is feeding them so much they're really hard to kill when you stop feeding them :D
I also dye them with a metal dye tub. Purple ones sell best on Europa.
Hehe they become almost God Like after a couple hours :) And hit dispell almost constantly....... fed one for a hour today and it took 7 RCs at 120 mystic/focus to kill it.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you guys are doing it the hard way :)
just sit next to the ankh and res and die to it over and over - much quicker and easier (and I hear perhaps scriptable - hehe)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you guys are doing it the hard way :)
just sit next to the ankh and res and die to it over and over - much quicker and easier (and I hear perhaps scriptable - hehe)
Umm seems easier to just lure 30-40 things at a time to the house porch provo them on it and repeat :) And what is not scriptable :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
What is special about these metal unnamed metal chests? Why spend time collecting/getting them, if not trash points?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They are unique in that they do not have the recovered from a shipwreck tag. It's also a bit of fun with people thinking they are ultra rare or a server birth you cheated to get and you get to say AH HA! You're wrong. Just one of those little fun things you get in UO from being a player from ages past.