• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pets

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just wondering if I have this right. Now that pets can be skilled and stats changed with training, is there really that much difference between most stronger pets other than: damage type?

For example: we can change the base damage to 24-33. We can add 120 on skills. We can have our pets with Chiv/AI. We can pump up the strength and HP. We can adjust resists. So really, does it make that much difference what type of pet we have, other than type of damage dealt?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Type of damage is important in many situations.
The pet can do things that aid the players damages and abilities and vice versa.
We can adjust pets resistances to fit the targets damage type.
My Cu healed me many times when I really needed help during the Deceit event on LS.
We can use area damage pets appropriately and have better results.

So, it depends on what you are fighting with the pet and what you are willing to do to aid in the fight and if you want the fight to end asap.

Some players grab their favorite pet and take them everywhere, some players choose the pet for the encounter.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, not all pets have the same intensity values as others(meanong you can achieve better builds)

Rideable pets that wont get stuck on other pets in tram is a plus, and not all pets get all magics.

And vanity pets cant go to 5 slots

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I have been testing out some fully booked riding pets and there is a slight difference performance. However, the easiest pet for me is a CU with AI and Chivalry. I have not seen a HUGE difference, even with changing around the abilities. But AOE pets seem to under perform those with single target setups. My recommendation is to be very picky on the pets you choose and take those that are over 90% in intensity. My main CU is just at 70% fully booked, does everything fine, but I wish I waited for a better one given the pain of scrolling.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Each pet is a little different. I mean yeah a lot of pets that are Chiv/AI will have very similar stats but there are a lot of innate abilities, damages and resists that different pets have that make them unique. Also Chiv/AI is not always the best pet. Single target damage, yeah Chiv/AI is great but even FWW/PB is an amazing combo and will do similar damage as Chiv/AI depending on targets. Then there's pure AoE pets for doing champ spawns and other events.
Najasaurus: Innate poisoning, no need to spend points on that magic, overcapped dex for high movement speed, poison immune, poison damage
Triton: Innate healing, can be spawned in Tukono for Bushido, Ninjutsu, overcapped energy resist, energy damage
Cu: Innate healing and rideable
Wolf spiders: Pack instincts
Nightmare: Innate magery and rideable, no need to spend points on magic, fire damage
Platinum drakes: 100% elemental damage, can be found in all different flavors, Fire, cold, energy, poison

There's also lots of other pets you can do some interesting builds on, like Rune corruption on beetles.

Exotic pets:
Pre-Patch White Wyrm: Over capped strength for incredibly hard Chiv/AI hits, can have overcapped cold resist, cold damage
Bane Dragon: Innate passive poisoning and debuff fueled by Blackrock Stew which uses no points or skills, rideable

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Dont underestimate different pets:
Heres a quick list of mine.

Triton: 129+ wrestle 179+resist: Feint - this guy is just for tanking

Cu 1: Standard Chiv/AI
Cu 2: Discord/ Conductive Blat
Cu 3: Spellweaving/AI (semidar spawn)
Cu 4: Feint - same as triton, i just wanted a Cu in case I wanted to ride

Hiryu and Lesser hiryu: Chiv/ AP/ grasping claw
Hiryu and Lesser Hiryu: Ninja/FWW

Blue Beetle: Rune corruption/ AP

Fire Beetle 1: Rune corruption/ AP
Fire Beetle 2: Ninja/FWW/goo

Frost mite1: Rune corruption/ AP
Forst mite2: Ninja/FWW/goo

Prepatch WW1: Chiv/AI
Prepatch WW2: Suggestions

Naja: FWW/poison breath

Dimetrasaur or however spell it: poisonbreath

Prepatch mare1: CAH magery build
Prepatch mare2: suggestions

Bane 1-3: suggestions?

Krampus Frost Drakes: Chiv/AP

I play with 2 other people mostly that have the same/similar pets and builds as mine so we mix and match to have the best synergy

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Less HP and Mana more HP regen. If I were making it.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Less HP and Mana more HP regen. If I were making it.
Okay, thanks. Wasn’t sure how important HPR was, considering I’d be using bandages and heal on the thing. To add 20 HPR, I’d go to 630 HP and 500 mana, that sound right?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's better. When its chiv is up it will do more damage and need healing from you less.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play with 2 other people mostly that have the same/similar pets and builds as mine so we mix and match to have the best synergy
120 Disco+CB Triton with a 120 Chiv+AI 100% Energy Platinum/Crimson Drake is a pretty nasty pair. The Triton significantly buffs the Energy Drake's damage output. I usually pair my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton with my Disco/Tamer and his 120 Chiv+AI 100% Energy Platinum Drake. Between the 120 Disco, Conductive Blast, and Death Ray, that's a lot of Energy Resist debuffage.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Also depending on how you want to use it, you may want more poison resist. It's not the most common damage type but there are plenty of creatures that poison or do poison damage that you'll be very susceptible to. But again all depends on what you want to use it for.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
120 Disco+CB Triton with a 120 Chiv+AI 100% Energy Platinum/Crimson Drake is a pretty nasty pair. The Triton significantly buffs the Energy Drake's damage output. I usually pair my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton with my Disco/Tamer and his 120 Chiv+AI 100% Energy Platinum Drake. Between the 120 Disco, Conductive Blast, and Death Ray, that's a lot of Energy Resist debuffage.
I used a RC/Fww Frost Beetle on TC1 and the RC helmed very minimally, no significant real uptime at all. The Fww rocks, esp with higher Ninjitsu, and could pair nicely with other moves? Really disappointed with CB. Lasts very little and dis not pair nicely with Fww..

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used a CB/Fww Frost Beetle on TC1 and the CB helmed very minimally, no significant real uptime at all. The Fww rocks, esp with higher Ninjitsu, and could pair nicely with other moves? Really disappointed with CB. Lasts very little and dis not pair nicely with Fww..
Frost Mites can't learn Conductive Blast. Only creatures with Energy Damage can learn Conductive Blast. Conductive Blast halves Energy Resist for 4 secs. You thinking of Crushing Blow? Then yeah, Crushing Blow is completely useless on pets, it doesn't even deal more damage. FWW deals Physical Damage based on Ninjitsu skill. Anything that debuffs Physical Resist (Discord, Rune Corruption, Grasping Claw, Onslaught) will buff FWW damage against the debuffed foe.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm guessing he meant rune corruption. Which also lasts for a short time.
When you lore the target you notice it is over by the time you lore again. Its reduction over time gives it value. That's what you hope for with pet AI.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'm guessing he meant rune corruption. Which also lasts for a short time.
When you lore the target you notice it is over by the time you lore again. Its reduction over time gives it value. That's what you hope for with pet AI.
What is the reduction over time?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sry you are right, I meant RC..Half asleep here..RC was disappointing in terms of uptime.
RC halves the victim's Resists for 4 secs. The more abilities a pet knows, the less it'll use RC. A Frost Mite with Cold Wind+FWW+RC will have less RC uptime than a Fire/Giant Beetle with just RC+AP. There's no graphic nor damage tick when RC applies, so you don't know the exact moment the pet applied RC, only way you can tell is by watching the damage jump up suddenly for a few hits, or by constantly loring the enemy and checking their Resists.
When Conductive Blast activates, there's at least a small amount of Energy damage dealt, so you can tell exactly when the pet used CB. Grasping Claw deals a small amount of Physical Damage when it applies as well. Inferno has a graphic when it applies, and deals damage, so you can tell when it's used to drop Fire Resist by 1/4th.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If you go purely rc and cb... You will like it. Granted you need a group to really make it worth it. I put ap on my Archer so pets can maintain max up time on debuffs. Bring an energy wep samp into it and it's silly DMG. Double hits are up to 400.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Have they adjusted the wrestling on Tritons? I’ve cracked 3 so far with wrestling at 111.9 and 113.6 and 115.3 nothing over 120......back luck or is that normal? All three have intensity between 29% and 33% using the calculator.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can go thru bad runs like that. Have opened probably 60 or so and have seen those streaks.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Rookie question, but when I start training my Cu Sidhe and want to add combat skills, parry is not listed as an option to add. I’ve read that I must have GM wrestling to get parry. With that said, should I get wrestling to GM before I even start the advanced training?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Rookie question, but when I start training my Cu Sidhe and want to add combat skills, parry is not listed as an option to add. I’ve read that I must have GM wrestling to get parry. With that said, should I get wrestling to GM before I even start the advanced training?
It's an odd bug... The pet actually HAS some parry, and may even gain in it - but it doesn't display until GM wrestling.

On some pets, before GM Wrestling, you can use Parrying powerscrolls - on others you can't. And, it doesn't appear to be pet type based, as I've seen some pets of the same type where you could scroll parry on one before GM Wrestling, but it wasn't an option on the other.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My first attempt in the new system was a low intensity pink Cu, made a mistake and screwed it up! Just a decoration Cu, so didn’t matter. Got everything figured out now, and am building a Fire Beetle with RC/AI. It’s at 3 slots now, almost GM skills. Everything is going smoothly!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just for a note, when RC kicks in, it lowers all resists(50%) on the target. AI does 90% of your pets damage, but all phys.
You mean direct, bypassing all resists - not "all phys". There's a big difference.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, if you pet does 100% energy, ai will fo its damage as phys damage. It ignores that resist, but still.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frenzied Whirlwind does physical damage.

Armor Ignore – This special move allows the skilled warrior to bypass all of their target’s armor resistance, for one shot only. The Armor Ignore shot does slightly less damage than normal (90% of normal damage).

Does direct damage not based on a specific element resist. One hit at near 90% possible max damage.

Armor Pierce Applies a “pierced armor” effect to the target which increases all incoming damage to the target by 10% for 3 seconds with the exception of direct damage special moves.

Does not do a special damage when applied, gets a damage buff for a duration instead.
For a solo beetle the normal damage is increased by 10% since a beetle only has normal damage if they have no other abilities.

Rune Corruption lowers all target resists by 50%. Aids AP but no affect on AI. Increases beetles normal damage.

A new player with a AI/RC giant or fire beetle with 105 scrolls can follow a group around get looting rights on everything, while helping everyone with the RC.

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If it is direct damage, it will not be reflected. (Like wod is chaos when mobs hp is above a certain point) but AI still gets reflected on my dog.
That leads me to believe that it is indeed phys damage.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I’ve learned a lot the past few months, still curious about a few things. Thoughts on the following builds:

Cu - Mystic, AI, Goo
Lesser Hiryu - Bushido, FWW
Dimetrosaur or Naja - which is better

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’ve learned a lot the past few months, still curious about a few things. Thoughts on the following builds:

Cu - Mystic, AI, Goo
Lesser Hiryu - Bushido, FWW
Dimetrosaur or Naja - which is better
I have a Cu like that. It kills stuff.
Hiryu with Bushido gets WW. Choose ai/bush. Very tanky not a lot of damage.
I prefer naja.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Naja has innate poisoning. I’m guessing add Poison Breath...any other magic or specials? Also, what should I aim for when building regarding mana, int, and mana regen? No magic abilities, so how high do they need to be?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Naja has innate poisoning. I’m guessing add Poison Breath...any other magic or specials? Also, what should I aim for when building regarding mana, int, and mana regen? No magic abilities, so how high do they need to be?
Same as any pet. 700 str 150 stamina. Over 150 dex so they wont get 370 intel. They dont get Chiv so mana is not a big issue.
Poison Breath/AI/Poisoning or Poison Breath/FWWI/Poisoning are popular Naj builds.
Najasaurus

Naja Training Advice?

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What other lesser hiryu options are worthwhile? There is obviously chiv/ai and bushido/ai......what else?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not many. They get 1 special and a magic. I have made them with each magic. AI/chiv does more damage. Rest are just toys.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Treasure hunters, and anyone that collects gold at the Roof, love the Giant Beetle trained up to 5 slots.
AI & poisoning (Rune Corruption optional), plus can carry 240k gold out of the roof (plus probably another 60k in your pack, for a total of 300k, without using a bag of sending).
A T-hunter can do multiple chests and loot everything (or do 6-7 and just keep the gold and the occasional nice item, like more t-maps, PS, pinks, blues, etc.)
A fisher can do the same (lots more SOS chests on one trip), or go fishing in a dangerous area (like some dungeons, etc.) and bring back 160 fish (plus pack contents) per trip. There's not much that a beetle can't beat in dungeon fishing areas, and most of those are on the lowest level of Shame.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AI & poisoning (Rune Corruption optional),
I'd consider RC+AI (or AP) mandatory, while Poisoning is actually a damage loss, since it detracts from RC/AI/AP use (which are all much stronger than even Lethal Poison). Against any Magery foe, they'll almost instantly cure the Lethal Poison, and against any non-Magery foe, the Poison deals such little damage that it's not worth missing out on increased RC/AI/AP use.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd consider RC+AI (or AP) mandatory, while Poisoning is actually a damage loss, since it detracts from RC/AI/AP use (which are all much stronger than even Lethal Poison). Against any Magery foe, they'll almost instantly cure the Lethal Poison, and against any non-Magery foe, the Poison deals such little damage that it's not worth missing out on increased RC/AI/AP use.
Personally, I have all three on mine. But I've ran into people that insist that having both RC and AI (or AP) is a waste.
For a T-hunter, though, I've not seen a significant reduction in AI/RC use from poisoning use, given what they're fighting and the amount of spawn (usually 1 at a time outside the initial spawn). And, I've seen chest spawn drop over from poison after running from the beetle.