• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pets Not Attacking Some Creatures?

A

Aboo

On my way to the savages I ran into a stranger outside the dungeon with the Enslaved Gargoyles, standing there with a dead hiryu. The stranger (sorry I didn't check the gender and the name didn't give it away so I will refer to them as "Stranger") warned me that a para exodus something-or-other was just inside. Stranger was trying to get back to her/his body.

I was on my legenday tamer, who has elder peace, riding my well trained puppy and I offered to help. I rezzed the hiryu, handed Stranger some bandages and stepped inside the dungeon. I immediately hit my area peace hot key. Stranger followed. I told my puppy to kill and she refused to attack it. Stranger told me that they won't attack mechanical creatures unless the creature either attacks me (if the pet is guarding) or attacks the pet themselves. Stranger's hiryu eventually killed it and I assume it's because the exodus attacked either Stranger or the pet. Stranger said it's the same with a pet attacking a golem.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please?

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been like this for as long as I can remember. If you hide/invis and it targets your pet, then your pet will attack back. But never been able to say "all kill" on these type of creatures.

A

Aboo

Been like this for as long as I can remember. If you hide/invis and it targets your pet, then your pet will attack back. But never been able to say "all kill" on these type of creatures.
I guess it's fairly obvious that I don't usually fight either golems or other mechanical creatures isn't it? Thanks for the response, now I won't be taken aback should the situation present itself that I need my pet to kill one of these creatures!

K

K'torr

Telling a pet to attack the metal Exodus critters is like telling your Pit Bull to attack a John Deer Tractor, he'll just give you a puzzled look.

They ought to make it so that's how pets react when you tell them to attack another player. Pets will attack to defend them self, or if you are attacked and the pet is told to guard you. Would solve a lot of the Pet PvP problems I think.

A

Aboo

Telling a pet to attack the metal Exodus critters is like telling your Pit Bull to attack a John Deer Tractor, he'll just give you a puzzled look.

They ought to make it so that's how pets react when you tell them to attack another player. Pets will attack to defend them self, or if you are attacked and the pet is told to guard you. Would solve a lot of the Pet PvP problems I think.
It's interesting because before I entered the dungeon I told my pet to follow me and to guard me. As soon as I stepped into the dungeon the exodus attacked me yet my pet did not attack it. However, I did hit my area peace hot key as soon as I entered, could that have been why she didn't attack the exodus? Or does going into the dungeon cause her to go out of guard mode?

C

Connor_Graham

Telling a pet to attack the metal Exodus critters is like telling your Pit Bull to attack a John Deer Tractor
I didn't know you HAD to tell a pit bull to attack the tractor. From what I've seen, they've always just done it on their own. :D

A

Aboo

I didn't know you HAD to tell a pit bull to attack the tractor. From what I've seen, they've always just done it on their own. :D
Don't pit bulls attack anything and everything?

My sister-in-law had one (unfortunately still does) and my middle daughter used to stay at her house quite a bit. We went to the lake one weekend and the dog come too (unfortunately). My sister-in-law knew how I felt about the dog but she said that the dog was so used to my daughter being there that there was nothing to worry about (my other 3 children always steered clear of the animal).

We were getting ready to go on the boat and my daughter went back into the cabin for something (she was around 7 years-old) and since the dog was in there too I followed her. Just as she stepped through the door that *&!@($% dog lunged at my daughter. I grabbed the closest thing I could find, a broom, and began beating that dog. My husband had to come in and pull me off of it. Never again were my children allowed around ANY dog my sister-in-law had, ESPECIALLY a pit bull!

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I cant even get my pit bull to attack its own shadow. Person broke into house and took my tv and computer with my 2 120lb pit bulls laying in the livin room.

J

jack flash

On my way to the savages I ran into a stranger outside the dungeon with the Enslaved Gargoyles, standing there with a dead hiryu. The stranger (sorry I didn't check the gender and the name didn't give it away so I will refer to them as "Stranger") warned me that a para exodus something-or-other was just inside. Stranger was trying to get back to her/his body.

I was on my legenday tamer, who has elder peace, riding my well trained puppy and I offered to help. I rezzed the hiryu, handed Stranger some bandages and stepped inside the dungeon. I immediately hit my area peace hot key. Stranger followed. I told my puppy to kill and she refused to attack it. Stranger told me that they won't attack mechanical creatures unless the creature either attacks me (if the pet is guarding) or attacks the pet themselves. Stranger's hiryu eventually killed it and I assume it's because the exodus attacked either Stranger or the pet. Stranger said it's the same with a pet attacking a golem.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please?
lol are you sure you are a legendary tamer? oh wait a legenday tamer, that explains it

T

Tazar

Wow, I cant even get my pit bull to attack its own shadow. Person broke into house and took my tv and computer with my 2 120lb pit bulls laying in the livin room.

:D Sounds just like my two... the only threat is that they will lick you to death...

R

Radun

This is how it should work when you tell a jack rabbit to attack a dragon.

E

Eslake

I always find the puplic opinion on pit bulls to be rather humorous.

The chances of being attacked by your own dog are highest if you own a Saint Bernard, Rotweilers are 2nd and I dont' remember past that except that pit bulls land at like 11th most likely.

They got their reputation because they were abused to keep them agressive for dog fights, and so when some Did attack their idiot owners it was very bloody. (I sure don't blame the dogs for it)

Personally I think chiuauas are the most likely to attack their owners, but they're so pathetic, nobody bothers to report it. :p

But no, pets cannot be Told to attack mechanical objects. I like the tractor analogy. ;)
It is on the same lines of certain beasts being immune to direct bard abilities, and later (with SE) some even immune to Area peace.

I'm still waiting to see them ever add a creature that is entirely immune to melee damage.

L

Lord Drakelord

One way is to put the pet in guard mode before you attack, the pet will charge to help you. Be sure to do that on all that you plan on attacking. Then you can cast invis or hide while your pet defends you.

A

Aboo

lol are you sure you are a legendary tamer? oh wait a legenday tamer, that explains it
It amazes me the rudeness of some people. Yes I am a legendary tamer in TAMING (120) not LORE and not VET but TAMING. However, I don't choose to fight mechanical creatures. I prefer to fight hiryus, dragon, ogres, titans, etc.

Insulting someone because they are ignorant in one area just shows your own ignorance and rudeness. You didn't contribute anything of substance to this post.

A

Aboo

. . . Personally I think chiuauas are the most likely to attack their owners, but they're so pathetic, nobody bothers to report it. :p . . .
You are correct. I have owned 3 Chihuahuas in my lifetime and they will MOST definitely attack someone. Although I never had one of my own attack me, they would attack my husband if he tried to touch me while I was holding them.

However, the difference is that they can do very little damage when they attack, whereas, a pit bull can kill when they attack. I personally prefer a pet that isn't going to do much harm and right now I have too many grandchildren to have time for any pet, other than my UO pets, of course.

Can someone tell me why it is that a pet won't attack a mechanical creature? The reasoning behind it?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no offense but some of you are discussing things that belong in off topic.... aboo, eslake....

E

Eslake

no offense but some of you are discussing things that belong in off topic.... aboo, eslake....
My post had both a responce And on-topic discussion.

But since this is off-topic, I guess we're both in trouble.

- actually just you since I am going back to the topic. :p -

The reasoning behind it is that they are not creatures the animal can recognize as something To attack.

Using the analogy from earlier...
From the dog's point of view, the master says Attack, you attack whoever they are pointing at.

But master says Attack while pointing at a tractor. You don't see anyone there to bite. .. confusion... what to do?

For the game, they assume pets are seeing golems, exodus overseers/minions, etc in that same way. They know you want them to bite someone, but don't see anyone to bite. So they "refuse to attack" that creature.

A

Aboo

No offense taken. You are correct that some things discussed were slightly off topic but every post I made also had something regarding the original topic that I started (at least I think they did from rereading them).

. . . Using the analogy from earlier...
From the dog's point of view, the master says Attack, you attack whoever they are pointing at.

But master says Attack while pointing at a tractor. You don't see anyone there to bite. .. confusion... what to do?

For the game, they assume pets are seeing golems, exodus overseers/minions, etc in that same way. They know you want them to bite someone, but don't see anyone to bite. So they "refuse to attack" that creature.
This makes perfect sense to me. To me it's a monster, but to my pet it's "trctor". Thanks for explaining it so well.

Sometimes you have to get slightly off topic to get the point across.