• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pets, line of sight and loyalty

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
had something interesting happen last week.
it has been popping into my head from time to time and i mull it over.
thought id finally come in here and talk about it.

it has to do with that recent change to pets and distance or line of sight to the pet owner and the pet losing loyalty because of it.

so it was a night like most, had logged in with 3 guild mates and we went off to do the Roof (Shadowguard) and the banter was thick in TeamSpeak.
once done we fell back to a castle and spread the good loot out on the floor and we where standing around talking about the loot and rolling dice for the good stuff.
3 of the 4 players where tamers and our 3 pets where parked 5-6 tiles away against the one wall.

all of a sudden 2 of the pets flashed up *your pet looks around desperately*
so we immediately noticed this and lore'd our pets to find both of them where really low in loyalty.

so this was strange.
neither of us gave commands to our pets.
we where both literally right beside our pets.
both of us are 120 real taming/lore.
the 3rd tamers pet was right beside the other 2 and the tamer was right beside the other 2 tamers and his pet did not toggle.
and both pets toggles at exactly the same time.
this was also not a customisable house so there was no Z axis issues that im aware of.

it was just strange, and kind of off-putting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do not trust the code for pets anymore... it's completely wrong. Pets go wild way too easily.

I was standing right beside my pet while training it at the mage... and it went wild. Randomly. I wasn't giving commands... I was healing it.

That was before the changes... so at any rate I don't trust the code in the slightest.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
had something interesting happen last week.
it has been popping into my head from time to time and i mull it over.
thought id finally come in here and talk about it.

it has to do with that recent change to pets and distance or line of sight to the pet owner and the pet losing loyalty because of it.

so it was a night like most, had logged in with 3 guild mates and we went off to do the Roof (Shadowguard) and the banter was thick in TeamSpeak.
once done we fell back to a castle and spread the good loot out on the floor and we where standing around talking about the loot and rolling dice for the good stuff.
3 of the 4 players where tamers and our 3 pets where parked 5-6 tiles away against the one wall.

all of a sudden 2 of the pets flashed up *your pet looks around desperately*
so we immediately noticed this and lore'd our pets to find both of them where really low in loyalty.

so this was strange.
neither of us gave commands to our pets.
we where both literally right beside our pets.
both of us are 120 real taming/lore.
the 3rd tamers pet was right beside the other 2 and the tamer was right beside the other 2 tamers and his pet did not toggle.
and both pets toggles at exactly the same time.
this was also not a customisable house so there was no Z axis issues that im aware of.

it was just strange, and kind of off-putting.
Was there any kind of additional stone work in the house on the same level where the characters and pets were? Maybe a platform with steps or anything where the characters and pets might have been standing at two slightly different levels? Or were any of the pets dragons or something else with wings and could have still been "flying"?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Was there any kind of additional stone work in the house on the same level where the characters and pets were? Maybe a platform with steps or anything where the characters and pets might have been standing at two slightly different levels? Or were any of the pets dragons or something else with wings and could have still been "flying"?
my pet was a Cu and i think the other was a beetle.
we were on a goza mat at the time i believe.
so unless the goza mat is enough to toggle the z-axis or something.... plus we didnt give any commands.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
well, at the very least a sarcastic conversation.
and i like to use prop's, and colorful crayon drawing..... so there is that.
Ask Zoogi to loan you his crayons. Also you could get him to do one of his finger paintings to help with the prop's

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I see your panties are still in a knot.
Give me one good reason to not have them that way given the teams outstanding devotion of late... to Kyronix's not so free free shard.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Give me one good reason to not have them that way given the teams outstanding devotion of late... to Kyronix's not so free free shard.
LMAO WTF is a "not so free free shard", did you go off your meds again. 6 people on the UO Team and you are so delusional that I bet you think there is 30 of them trying to give us stuff/fix things/keep UO alive, I bet you don't even play anymore so why the hell do you care.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
LMAO WTF is a "not so free free shard", did you go off your meds again. 6 people on the UO Team and you are so delusional that I bet you think there is 30 of them trying to give us stuff/fix things/keep UO alive, I bet you don't even play anymore so why the hell do you care.
I believe the UO Team has more than six people if you count Event Moderators and whatnot.

It's not our fault Mesanna makes poor decisions, chooses sub-par talent and does not utilize her work unit properly.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
So what you’re telling us is the system is working as intended…
Both pets did not go wild thanks to the “new” system.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe the UO Team has more than six people if you count Event Moderators and whatnot.

It's not our fault Mesanna makes poor decisions, chooses sub-par talent and does not utilize her work unit properly.
NOT EMs do not write new content or fix bugs or maintain the servers but good try, do you play UO on the official server.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
NOT EMs do not write new content or fix bugs or maintain the servers but good try, do you play UO on the official server.
Are you sure?

I was under the impression that is was an EM who provides the majority of fiction for the game.

I'm sure some have helped fix bugs as well.

I don't know anything about servers, I'm not sure how you do though.

Good try.
Do you play UO on the official server.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you sure?

I was under the impression that is was an EM who provides the majority of fiction for the game.

I'm sure some have helped fix bugs as well.

I don't know anything about servers, I'm not sure how you do though.

Good try.
Do you play UO on the official server.
EMs have a tool to write their fiction but do not have access to the code other than what the tool gives them. Mesanna creates all new items for the EMs. EMs may help you to understand something but can not fix bugs, just like GMs they have very limited access to the code.

Here are the 6 people that make up the UO Team

Jim “Onifrk” Crawley Art​
Greg "Kyronix" Havlusch Programmer​
Stephen "Bleak" Brown Programmer​
Michael "Misk" Armstrong QA​
Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong Boss Lady​
Tori "Levitica" Guarino Art​

Here is a link of all the people that work at BS who maintain DAoC and UO (Scroll down) Broadsword Online Games

Last edited:

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
EMs have a tool to write their fiction but do not have access to the code other than what the tool gives them. Mesanna creates all new items for the EMs. EMs may help you to understand something but can not fix bugs, just like GMs they have very limited access to the code.

Here is a link of all the people that work at BS who maintain DAoC and UO (Scroll down) Broadsword Online Games
I understand everything you're saying.

I don't understand why you feel the need to exclude EMs from the UO team.
Is it simply because they are contract workers?

Do you feel they do not contribute enough?
I suppose I could agree with that for the most part.

However the level of contribution shown by "EM Malachi" by providing years of game-wide fiction seems to be on par with someone you would call a team member.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wanna bet you have zero clue what the response would be because @Poo knows how to conduct a civil conversation.
Considering that this has been the standard answer when the Devs don't want to do things - like research and correct - I figure that's what @Poo will get as response. It would be nice to not get it but I don't hold much hope.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

FYI EM Malachi does in fact write most of the fiction for the game... go back and look at all the "stories" of late... you will see... EM Malachi writes them... and has for some time now... thankfully or we will still have things like "Lady Minax looked though her mascara" ....

You can tell when the DEV team is responsible for any written content as it's horrible and full of spelling errors and such... not that I'm an English expert... but when you are supposed to be a "professional" team you could at least use spell check on things... or Grammarly...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i myself havent lost any pets in a very long time. i think its great that it gives a warning message now. in the past, ive lost 3 of the paroxy swamp dragon. nothing since then, over 5 years ago. the message does scare me that im about to lose pet lol.

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I thought that once the pet was bonded, it was impossible to "lose" the pet?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought that once the pet was bonded, it was impossible to "lose" the pet?
Not entirely, there are line of site issues that cause pets to lose loyalty quickly, especially if you if you issue it commands. the pet can un-bond and then be killed and it is gone forever. there are also some bugs that cause you to lose pets if you lose connection, or intentionally log off and the pet disappears and you lose follower counts. this can sometimes be attributed to a server line. and i have had success with retrieving pets lost to this by using the mooring line on a high seas boat if there is water capable of holding said ship near by. but there are times that they simply go poof and cannot be retrieved..

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wanna bet the response will be "working as intended"?
My bet it will be - "can't duplicate the issue". Since it does not happen all of ten seconds Bleak is staring at a test horse, there is nothing they can do.

Nicnivin

Visitor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge it was from the very beginning that pets are losing loyalty if they stand just there, right beside you, without interaction.

I almost never fed my pets, because successful commands increase loyalty slightly and if you handle a pet with a skill that grants maximum success chance, that was usually enough to keep it happy. If a pet dropped below wonderfully happy it was usually wonderfully happy after a few successful commands.

That said - things changed indeed. The line of sight problem does exist. In publishes over the last few years the ground changed so that there were differences in z-axis that have not been there before. It was really visible in houses, but also in the wilds. Especially some new places were problematic.
In such an environment it is much easier for pets to refuse commands. Every time a pet refuses to obey its loyalty drops. Spamming commands at stubborn pets is an easy way to have them going wild. Often these pets are blocked at the same time, so logging out and in again might be the last change to get them out of these problematic situations.

Pet loyalty indeed is a problem now, but without successful commands and without feeding any pet will get wild, eventually.