• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet with just AI: Best way to use your mana?

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I have a naja "in progress" and I am wondering how to turn mana into damage. Chiv and AI works great together, but I wondered if only chaining AI (like a sampire) would be the best thing to do with a naja. Opinions? Btw - want to get a single target dps monster, no area effect wanted.

Regards, Fizzle

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Naja's are great, but unfortunately all you can really do with them that's effective is some combination of poison, poison breath, venomous bite, armor ignore, or FWW.
Most popular builds are probably:
Poison + Poison Breath + FWW
Poison + AI

Glad you posted this though because I'm about to make a new one (already have the PB+FWW) and want to do something different, not sure what yet.

I've thought about trying poison, poison breath, venomous bite or armor ignore and mortal strike. Still have to decide if I want pet to do area damage or single target.

Last edited:

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There’s a poster on here who swears by his AI/AP Naja for single target damage. I like my AI/FWW naja because it has high single target damage, but also does AEO.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I've also considered making my new naja with AI/FWW, both high damage abilities, can't go wrong there. FWW won't drag stuff from across the screen, nice localized area damage.

AP works better if you're hunting in a group.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a few pets with chiv/ap.

Give me the scrolls on them and they are yours.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hi there,

I have a naja "in progress" and I am wondering how to turn mana into damage. Chiv and AI works great together, but I wondered if only chaining AI (like a sampire) would be the best thing to do with a naja. Opinions? Btw - want to get a single target dps monster, no area effect wanted.

Regards, Fizzle
Pawain and I have had this disagreement a few time lol.. but I love my AI/AP Naja. Damage just flies... so to each their own. ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no opinion on the Naj. I came in on the Chiv/AP part.

He a nice doggy. Just scrolls and he yours.

upload_2019-3-20_19-33-55.png

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AP is half an AI, with a +10% Damage taken debuff on the victim for a few secs. AI ignores all the Resists on an opponent, Armor Pierce ignores half of the Resists.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why is AP inferior to AI? Is AP so bad?

Taken from in game from a pet's AP.

From the UO.com wiki: Armor Pierce Applies a “pierced armor” effect to the target which increases all incoming damage to the target by 10% for 3 seconds with the exception of direct damage special moves.

Armor Ignore does 90% of pre-resists damage.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is AP inferior to AI? Is AP so bad?
The info is above. If you are killing things that last less than 5 min and the pet is a good damage match, you will not notice much difference between AI and AP. If you are soloing something that your pet does not match then you will notice AP takes longer. On a mob like Navrey AP would take a few minutes longer.

That 3 second 10% bonus is not great. All the buffs need a time increase. If all were doubled AI would still be best, but at least we would see the buff on the lore screen and think we are getting something useful.

I have a pet with each magic and AP. It is not something that ruins the pet.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AP only outshines AI when you're doing large group content. Like i'll use a Frost Mite with RC+AP against Stygian Dragon or Dragon Turtle when i have 8+ guildies on the hunt. With that many people hitting the boss, the +10% damage for 3 secs from AP will outperform the damage of an AI. My pet may not being doing more damage, but the boss gets dropped faster.

Between RC+AP from my Frost Mite, and Disco+HLA/HLD (i made a -15 Mage Wep specifically for this) from me, the boss is heavily debuffed which benefits my guild hunts greatly.

Gardo

Journeyman
There’s a poster on here who swears by his AI/AP Naja for single target damage. I like my AI/FWW naja because it has high single target damage, but also does AEO.
My wife and I have 5 or 6 najas between us built differently to do different things. She has an AI/AP/poison naja and I opted for one with just AI/poison. They both work really well on single targets. We also have najas with various AOE abilities that work great on mobs. The key to any encounter, emphasized by this great community daily, is optimizing your capability... group vs solo, damage type vs resists, tanking vs dps, ST vs AOE, etc. Najas make wonderful pets, capable of many different things in these various areas.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I took that Naja I had and put poison breath and venomous bite on him during 3 slot training. He poisoned quite a bit but his damage wasn't great. So the final round I added piercing to add armor ignore. He rarely uses AI. Still poisons quite a bit. Over all his damage is low so I'll likely replace him. I find Naja's frustrating. I love the over capped dex and magic resist and that they cannot be poisoned, but I hate the 100% poison resist, makes it so I end up with low energy resist. Also no chiv option. I thought about doing ai/fww but figured AI is better than FWW for single target damage so why bother with FWW? The one I had had 175 dex, I think I'll find another with 190 dex. Maybe try AI and feint...never used feint before.