• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Training

Wharton

Adventurer
Just one quick noob question before I find a pet. I've heard some say to GM all the skills prior to clicking the start training button, and some start training right away. Is there any advantage to making the skills all 100 before starting the actual training?

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with 100wresling 100tact 100ana ur pet to land more hits and do more damage (to crazed mages for example) which will make them gain % faster

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just one quick noob question before I find a pet. I've heard some say to GM all the skills prior to clicking the start training button, and some start training right away. Is there any advantage to making the skills all 100 before starting the actual training?
I do not do that and have trained up many pets. Why not? Because then I am looking at 2 separate grinds that way. One to level skill and then another to train it up.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Yeah just start training as long as you've gotten dex/stam to 125 first. Other than that just be mindful that in order to train parrying on your pet you will need GM wrestling first. So that would be the only skill you might need to train during that process.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just to get it to 125 Dex first, as the others say.

However, I make it a point to work the pet against things that will give it skill gains when going for the dex gains, as there's no reason to waste the gain opportunities. For example, I tend to take my 1-slot beetles to one of the umbra small orc forts to train dex up, where it can get gains for wrestling, tactics, anatomy and resisting spells at the same time. I just have to occasionally vet or cast greater heal on it.