• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet skill gains

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a frost dragon that says it can have 124.8 parry, yet I cannot get it to move past 120.0. Is there something more I need to do, click, yell at, jump through a hoop for?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Only thing is if the devs change it so pets get the ability to gain over 120, as it is now it is capped at that level.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Take it to Jhelom Bulls area. Send it after a Bull, spam All Stop, All Stay before it kills the bull. Repeat until you have as many Bulls, Cows, Sheep etc on it that you can. Hit 'Whispering' and see if you get any gains. That is where I raise parry on my pets. Works fast.

If it does not gain there then something is up.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take it to Jhelom Bulls area. Send it after a Bull, spam All Stop, All Stay before it kills the bull. Repeat until you have as many Bulls, Cows, Sheep etc on it that you can. Hit 'Whispering' and see if you get any gains. That is where I raise parry on my pets. Works fast.

If it does not gain there then something is up.
I did this before posting here except I use hinds/great harts. After two runs using whispering, I got zero gains after 120.0.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have never had the hinds/harts work as well as the bulls/cows/sheep.

Seems very strange either way though. IF they were going to cap them at 120 we should know about it in advance.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recall someone saying parry does not go above 120 a long time ago.
Search the taming forum.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sounds like someone needs to submit a bug report for the display of the parrying cap being over 120, when in fact the cap is 120. I recommend posting on the official forums over emailing, so there is a public record.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sounds like someone needs to submit a bug report for the display of the parrying cap being over 120, when in fact the cap is 120. I recommend posting on the official forums over emailing, so there is a public record.
*looks into crystal ball*

I see a locked thread with a post saying 'Working as intended' or 'We could not duplicate' in the near future.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Parrying is hard capped at 120. 120 Parry gives 35% chance to shield parry any non-magical attack that would've landed otherwise. 20% chance with a weapon. Pets seem to parry with the equivalent of a Two-Handed Weapon, so they have 20% Parry chance with 120 Parry, and 40% Parry chance with 120 Parry/120 Bushido.
Since Parry is a flat % chance to completely mitigate any non-magical attack, it'd be really overpowered if it could actually go beyond 120. Trying to land a non-magical hit on something with 160 Parry would be incredibly difficult. Combine that with 120-160 Wrest/Wep skill on it, and it'd be damn near impossible to land a hit on. Just look at how hard Macer Captains are to land a hit on with their wep skill and 120 Parry.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pets seem to parry with the equivalent of a Two-Handed Weapon, so they have 20% Parry chance with 120 Parry, and 40% Parry chance with 120 Parry/120 Bushido.
Actually, after further testing, i've determined that pets use the equivalent of a One-Handed Weapon, giving them a 35% Parry Chance with 120 Parry/120 Bushido. I tested this by experimenting with how Concussion Blow functions for pets, watching how much Mana % is returned upon Conc Blow wearing off. One-Handed Melee Weps drain a max of 80% current Mana, and return a max of 70% when it wears off. Two-Handed Melee Weps drain a max of 80% current Mana, and return a max of 40% when it wears off. After a pet's Conc Blow wears off, the victim regains the vast majority of the Mana lost, so they use a One-Handed Melee Wep.