• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Skill fragments (an idea)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, so from what we can gather there are no plans to introduce "pet powerscrolls" for what ever the reasons...
Now while i can see their arguement about not wanting to tamper with the PvP world of scroll gathering, i don't really see it as fair since pets in PvP are pretty useless so why should they be able to hold the world to ransom over scrolls which will be used for pets?
The Pet Training era is already starting to slow down to a bare crawl since powerscrolls have dried up and the PvP'ers who have them have vastly inflated the prices to stupid levels like +50mill for a scroll because they are now classed as "rare"???

Now it got me thinking, how about jumping onto this oppertunity to throw crafters a bone?
Now by bone i litterally mean "A Bone".
This "bone" could be identified as a variuos pet skill "fragment" using the forgotten Item ID skill?
These fragments could be then used in congunction with other components that could drop across the lands on purely random creatures randomly.
Things like Resins could be made from cross breeding certain plants
Ointments could be found and identified using Taste ID?
Powder of 'insert skill' from the ground down bone from an animal
Slaves from recipies using bits fromacross the lands.

You could take this as far or as little as you like in complexity but the main focus would be making it RANDOM.
This would encourage people to go out into the wilderness once more and forrage the lands :)

Now before the PvP lot jump in and complain about powerscrolls....make it so the 120 versions would only be found on bits from Felucca, and again RANDOM. So once again player killers could go roaming the lands for a kill rather than just spam at Yew gate or ghost champ spawns.

They would still get all the action from normal powerscroll drops as they would not need to be touched with this new "Craft".
I've not thought of a name for this but something like Shamen or Druid.....Oh they could use that new spellcrafting school we briefly saw in the last Event Pagan. (oh i like that idea)

I'll post this on both forums so we can see where people take the idea?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Forgive the spelling, i do actually have dyslexia and don't always catch them. ;)
That's what spell check is for... and Grammarly is free... it's pretty nice.

As for the plan I'm not sure... sounds interesting... I've finished all the Pet skilling and such I can... having OCD and ADD it's difficult for me to "just leave points" to upgrade the pet later when I have scrolls... which has pretty much led to me no longer playing UO but for the few times I get on to do the EM Event and RP things... in other words I'm once again considering that UO is an expense that doesn't live up to it's justifications... and if I could figure out how to either walk away and shut it all down or how to let go of things and close a few accounts I just don't see what to do so it sits...

I'm bored... there is little to nothing keeping me interested in UO at the present. I have no desire for PvP and even less desire to go to Fel... I can't afford scrolls and I'm unwilling to play UO Solo. Since the Roof is going to be something I won't be able to do at all solo or not that's out and I don't care for grinding... I find the game wholely boring of late. I enjoyed pet building while it lasted... but that's now too expensive to pursue any further.

Once upon a time I thoroughly enjoyed the EM Events on GLs and that kept my interest. But of late all they are is gate here kill this, gate there kill that... go back to base or get separated into 2 groups where the lag becomes so intense I can't move and with pools of crap all around the boss and not being able to really maneuver it's die, die, die again and disappointment.

The game no longer plays well even on my fairly decent machine with insane internet connection speeds... DEVs blame it on Pinco's but no... I've played EM Events in both the default and Pinco's and it happens in both... May be to a slightly lesser degree in the Default but losing all the benefits of Pinco's over a slight improvement IMO isn't worth it.

Something needs to be done to improve the game... and PvP isn't it .... at least not for me... for me I'd rather have something relaxing and enjoyable that is rewarding for the time I spend at it. Doing the same thing over and over and over again without reward is just NOT fun... I'm not interested in kill or be killed... that isn't fun for me... I don't like or enjoy "panic" play. I don't find that relaxing. Taming has always had rewards but now at this point, I feel I can't really do that... since I can't get or afford the scrolls to "finish" the pet it feels incomplete and unrewarding... even bordering on frustrational since I have so many pets now that are just "holding" for scrolls... not really fun.

I like the new plants... but that's about 1/2 an hour of fun a week... seeing if I get any new colored ones. Not really a justification for keeping UO open.

I've tried joining new guilds and meeting more people ... and such but it's not really adding more to do since most of them seem to only do things either on other shards which I don't really care for or on weekends... when I'm at work.

I've been given offers to do things on other shards but with 14 accounts I really am not going to move. It just isn't financially feasible. And I am an all or not sort of person. GLs is my home... always has been... I have no desire to go anywhere else.

Joy has left UO again... I don't see anything on the horizon that will bring that back.

Last edited:

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OK, so from what we can gather there are no plans to introduce "pet powerscrolls" for what ever the reasons...
Now while i can see their arguement about not wanting to tamper with the PvP world of scroll gathering, i don't really see it as fair since pets in PvP are pretty useless so why should they be able to hold the world to ransom over scrolls which will be used for pets?
The Pet Training era is already starting to slow down to a bare crawl since powerscrolls have dried up and the PvP'ers who have them have vastly inflated the prices to stupid levels like +50mill for a scroll because they are now classed as "rare"???

Now it got me thinking, how about jumping onto this oppertunity to throw crafters a bone?
Now by bone i litterally mean "A Bone".
This "bone" could be identified as a variuos pet skill "fragment" using the forgotten Item ID skill?
These fragments could be then used in congunction with other components that could drop across the lands on purely random creatures randomly.
Things like Resins could be made from cross breeding certain plants
Ointments could be found and identified using Taste ID?
Powder of 'insert skill' from the ground down bone from an animal
Slaves from recipies using bits fromacross the lands.

You could take this as far or as little as you like in complexity but the main focus would be making it RANDOM.
This would encourage people to go out into the wilderness once more and forrage the lands :)

Now before the PvP lot jump in and complain about powerscrolls....make it so the 120 versions would only be found on bits from Felucca, and again RANDOM. So once again player killers could go roaming the lands for a kill rather than just spam at Yew gate or ghost champ spawns.

They would still get all the action from normal powerscroll drops as they would not need to be touched with this new "Craft".
I've not thought of a name for this but something like Shamen or Druid.....Oh they could use that new spellcrafting school we briefly saw in the last Event Pagan. (oh i like that idea)

I'll post this on both forums so we can see where people take the idea?
Not bad thinking.
This would bump up the crafters and create busy time for all facets! Or something like that. It will help the tamers and boost the game altogether, and will not affect PVP/PK. At least the tamers will be able to gather "regs" and items to piece together pet-scroll equivalents to boost their pets. Lots of work, and the boost should be able to bring up skills to 115. 120 for the feluca regs. This may work, and keep our friendly PKers/murderers happy as well, since daring victims would delve into Fel. But hopefully the Fel regs would be not concentrated on one spot (unlike Fel Champ?).

Good luck any of this happening. Maybe next 20 years? At the 40th aniversary of the game then..

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak
Now that we're talking about lag again...
I rather suspect some of it is client-side. It appears (from the gargoyle walks with large shield smearing) that the classic client is doing dirty rectangles. That worked pretty well when there's not much on the screen. At an EM event or anywhere else there's a LOT of stuff on the screen, it would be more time-efficient to just redraw the background entire, instead of doing dirty rectangles. This would also fix the gargoyle-walks-with-large-shield smearing.
Please think about it.