• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet revamp - 6th control slot?

PaulCH

Journeyman
Since the pet revamp is on the table, I was wondering what people think of a 6th control slot. If you do like it then how would you implement it? Just give it? Part of a mastery? Upgrade through a quest? or is it a terrible idea? :p

I don't PVP but I can see how it may unbalance it so maybe it should only be for the pure tamer (120 taming, lore & vet - real skill).

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked about this and it was explained tha,t No 6th slot. With the current animal slot assignment a 6th slot would upset the balance of power already in the system. With the new revamp also upgrading your favorite pet may also up its slot standing. Now this was as of a few meet and greets back... things might have changed. It's always advisable to test things out on TC1 when the patch goes up for testing.... I myself think this will need every tamer in UO to test this to the max....or take the risk of messing up your loved pet..

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Heh 2 rune beetles. That would be awesome :)

* though my rune beetle skeletal dragon combo is pretty sweet.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked about this and it was explained tha,t No 6th slot. With the current animal slot assignment a 6th slot would upset the balance of power already in the system. With the new revamp also upgrading your favorite pet may also up its slot standing. Now this was as of a few meet and greets back... things might have changed. It's always advisable to test things out on TC1 when the patch goes up for testing.... I myself think this will need every tamer in UO to test this to the max....or take the risk of messing up your loved pet..
We could test it to an inch of its life but they will still release what "they" think we want rather than what the Taming community and players ask for ;)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought, that just having 5 control slots isn't granular enough for that amount of different pets.
IMHO it would be a good idea to double the control slots as well double the control slot requirements of each pet as well. Then do a balance pass and adjust the slot reqs of individual pets according to their actual strength/usefulness, so some pets actually use that increased granularity. That should allow new combinations without tipping the scales too much.
The pet revamp would be a perfect opportunity for such a thing.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if wishes were fish man would never want for food.. and the ocean would be empty!

A explanation was given to me once long ago when I got the chance to ask on why 5 slots....
Now mind you I was one of those tamers who took 2 or 3 of my WW's to kill dragons in dastard all the time for leather and gems... (way before imbuing )v riding my mare.
It was no biggie to handle 6 WW's (3 mine 3 my friends) and rez friend who got too close...or didn't see the drake that poped under his tail heheehehhe

Pardon I digress....
The point was made to me that to limit this very activity was the point of the limit.. a Tamer would go in with a pack of dragons and massacare the spawn and walk off with the goods.
To curb this for the new (at that time) publishes new creatures and quests the limit was put in. Why the hadies they included etheys idk but to cut to the chase.
it was the dev 's way to cut us back from running amuck and them having to answer why tamers can run the game without limits.
Small addenda to this:
This was also the time they took away the any player can own a drake.... and made them tamer only....

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always thought, that just having 5 control slots isn't granular enough for that amount of different pets.
IMHO it would be a good idea to double the control slots as well double the control slot requirements of each pet as well. Then do a balance pass and adjust the slot reqs of individual pets according to their actual strength/usefulness, so some pets actually use that increased granularity. That should allow new combinations without tipping the scales too much.
The pet revamp would be a perfect opportunity for such a thing.
:facepalm:Did you even read what you said, double the slots and double the control slots required for a pet. Current GD 5 and 5, your way 10 and 10. that is like saying I am going to pay you double your wages and charge you twice as much for everything. You gain nothing and you lose nothing.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Lady Storm I can remember the day when 2 Tamers in our guild walked around with 6-7 Dragons each and this was Pre-Tram guarding the Guilds miners/smiths. It was great.

Herp!

Journeyman
A 6th slot would simply make the game terribly unbalanced. I could run double rune beetle and have constant damage increase from their debuff while whacking stuff with double strike at -20 resists with onslaught, or even lower with corpse skin and onslaught. I do await the moment that I can replace my GD with a 5 slot RB though :D I'll be testing this to the absolute maximum I can, I love breaking games.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
@Lady Storm I can remember the day when 2 Tamers in our guild walked around with 6-7 Dragons each and this was Pre-Tram guarding the Guilds miners/smiths. It was great.
Those were great days back before they came out with control slots it shot my hunting with two white wyrms and riding a nightmare to hell

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well IMO Tamers have been crippled since they bumped everything to deal with Sampires ruling... now they need to rebalance it with this pet revamp.... as well since taming is no longer the "top tier" it once was perhaps they ought to consider making it somewhat easier to gain skills...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:Did you even read what you said, double the slots and double the control slots required for a pet. Current GD 5 and 5, your way 10 and 10. that is like saying I am going to pay you double your wages and charge you twice as much for everything. You gain nothing and you lose nothing.
That's what happens, if someone either just reads or understands half of the posting...
Pretty pointless to have a discussion with such a person.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what happens, if someone either just reads or understands half of the posting...
Pretty pointless to have a discussion with such a person.
You can do the exact same thing without the 10 control slot idea or what you want to be able to walk around with 10 packies or something? So now an ethy takes 2 stolts because you know they will not leave it 1 and the big pets will just take double the slots they do now and you will gain nothing. Your idea gains nothing and if you think the DEVs will adj the slots then think again, it ain't going to happen. But good try.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can do the exact same thing without the 10 control slot idea or what you want to be able to walk around with 10 packies or something? So now an ethy takes 2 stolts because you know they will not leave it 1 and the big pets will just take double the slots they do now and you will gain nothing. Your idea gains nothing and if you think the DEVs will adj the slots then think again, it ain't going to happen. But good try.
I wouldn't have made the pack horse 1 if 10 would be max. But having a non-enty non-tamer ridable at 1 and a GD at 9 might not be perfect, but would at least be better than the OPs idea with just adding a 6th slot.
99% of all ideas here on this forum don't make it into the game. So I can pretty much live with it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now mind you this revamp will have a trade off... if your pet gains in power you will see its slot number go up...... I can almost guarantee that.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
castle syndrome.

Whilst the castle owners arent happy with their max footprint/max storage behemoths, they want them to be customisable, so the tamers want more more more.

Once again the self entitlement of the players of this game. The game should be able to be developed for the better with out just raising caps.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
castle syndrome.

Whilst the castle owners arent happy with their max footprint/max storage behemoths, they want them to be customisable, so the tamers want more more more.

Once again the self entitlement of the players of this game. The game should be able to be developed for the better with out just raising caps.
Really? Wow... you know mages and dexers can carry dozens of weapons... up to 125 if they wanted... Tamers get 5 slots... they can't trade out for a "new" slayer mid battle... NO they have to trudge all the way out of the area... recall back to a stable... trade out the pet recall back somewhere trudge back into the battle... or just stay with the ONE or TWO pets they have... not to mention they are EXTREMELY limited in the Stable too... a dexer or mage can have chests FILLED with every weapon imaginable... a tamer gets to keep less than 24.... So you tell me how that's "fair"...

Herp!

Journeyman
since taming is no longer the "top tier" it once was perhaps they ought to consider making it somewhat easier to gain skills...
Taming isn't top tier? I can't go solo most everything with a GD on my SW/mage/tamer? Last I checked, my tamer was my 2nd best character & my first choice to run for everything even though it may take a little longer than running my dragoon. I actually liked the control slot implementation. I believe that if they are doing what they say & just allow us to opt in to upgrading any pet from any control slot requirement to a higher one(make a 1 slot dog, hell hound, etc, a 2 3 4 or 5 slot) for the ability to gain in skills up to Legendary and beyond, taming will be OP again honestly... I foresee no one using anything but 5 slot 120-130 skilled Rune Beetles with similar str/int/hp to a GD because they are of the few tameables that can have 170 dex... Giant dragons covering your screen at EM events will no longer be an issue, this was meant to be fixed by adding Turtle Dragons but everyone knows that you may get 1/250 that are worth keeping and 4.1 or higher statted. I can spend 30 min at wind and generally get a few 4.0+ to spawn vs doing 2-3 turtle spawns in an hour and then having to wait 3 days to see 2-3 garbage turtles that I spawn at DH so they help me kill him faster because they aren't worth taming.

As for skill gain, taming to 90 from fresh char 50 isn't actually that hard, drop all skills to 0 have nothing but taming/lore, use GGS to gain skill uber fast. Once you hit 90, spam combat training>wait for targ>last target macro with any pet targetted - get 90-120 in about 9 hours. I think it took about 1 week at a 1-3 hours a day to get my 2nd tamer from 50-120.

edit: only edited because I had accidentally hit a g key that was randomly typing a in to the box without me noticing :D

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How dare we want an open ended game that we pay monthly for to be fun and entertaining just because our playstyle does not fit the way YOU want the game to be.
So you dont currently find it fun and entertaining? Or is the more, more, more mentality the only way for it to continue to be entertaining for you ? If thats your thinking then just lift the slot restriction entirely. It was set at 5 for a reason ... you just want more. As always.

Its a lazy dev team that simply lifts caps rather than introduce new and exciting content regularly. Thats the way to keep the game being fun, not simply raising caps to pander to the more crowd.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taming isn't top tier? I can't go solo most everything with a GD on my SW/mage/tamer? Last I checked, my tamer was my 2nd best character & my first choice to run for everything even though it may take a little longer than running my dragoon. I actually liked the control slot implementation. I believe that if they are doing what they say & just allow us to opt in to upgrading any pet from any control slot requirement to a higher one(make a 1 slot dog, hell hound, etc, a 2 3 4 or 5 slot) for the ability to gain in skills up to Legendary and beyond, taming will be OP again honestly... I foresee no one using anything but 5 slot 120-130 skilled Rune Beetles with similar str/int/hp to a GD because they are of the few tameables that can have 170 dex... Giant dragons covering your screen at EM events will no longer be an issue, this was meant to be fixed by adding Turtle Dragons but everyone knows that you may get 1/250 that are worth keeping and 4.1 or higher statted. I can spend 30 min at wind and generally get a few 4.0+ to spawn vs doing 2-3 turtle spawns in an hour and then having to wait 3 days to see 2-3 garbage turtles that I spawn at DH so they help me kill him faster because they aren't worth taming.

As for skill gain, taming to 90 from fresh char 50 isn't actually that hard, drop all skills to 0 have nothing but taming/lore, use GGS to gain skill uber fast. Once you hit 90, spam combat training>wait for targ>last target macro with any pet targetted - get 90-120 in about 9 hours. I think it took about 1 week at a 1-3 hours a day to get my 2nd tamer from 50-120.

edit: only edited because I had accidentally hit a g key that was randomly typing a in to the box without me noticing :D
You know people keep telling me that about gaining skills in Taming with Combat training... and I've trained and trained and trained with my pets... I've gained 0 skill in taming... I've tried everything I can think of and can't gain a single .1 even...

And I can see that about after the revamp... however I'm the wait and see kind... I'm betting it'll be either nerfed to oblivion in short order or they will make it so difficult and such a grind that only the cheaters and people who don't work will have the time and energy to do it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know people keep telling me that about gaining skills in Taming with Combat training... and I've trained and trained and trained with my pets... I've gained 0 skill in taming... I've tried everything I can think of and can't gain a single .1 even...

And I can see that about after the revamp... however I'm the wait and see kind... I'm betting it'll be either nerfed to oblivion in short order or they will make it so difficult and such a grind that only the cheaters and people who don't work will have the time and energy to do it.

I'm in the same boat I gave up on taming a long time ago. But just the other day I decided to try again 3 hours later not .1 gain still stuck at 101 cant seem to gain. I'm sure it's my lack of understanding how to gain though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can only gain taming by taming something or trying to tame. All kill does not gain taming skill. If it does not increase .1 a day then you need to move to something in your range. Animal Taming - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Thank you for your help

I did what the guidelines said maybe if I soul stoned all other skills like the other post said it would have helped

If I stay on long enough maybe I'll try again after the revamp

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The GNGS (guaranteed no-gain system) should give you 0.1 points every day.
Get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge, then tame only animals that are "Easy," "Optimal," or "Challenging."

Herp!

Journeyman
I've done it on 3 chars so far.. You don't even have to pick from the mastery list, just cast the mastery>select pet>cast mastery>select pet>repeat. Allows for basically no mana usage so you can just spam it infinitely. Gains will come fairly regularly.

Herp!

Journeyman
You can only gain taming by taming something or trying to tame. All kill does not gain taming skill. If it does not increase .1 a day then you need to move to something in your range. Animal Taming - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
That is 100% incorrect and I will be editing it when I get home and have a moment. Since the mastery update, not many people have been updating UOGuide aside from me, my friend, and JC. Anything I see that needs an update gets updated when I have a chance. Thanks for linking that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've done it on 3 chars so far.. You don't even have to pick from the mastery list, just cast the mastery>select pet>cast mastery>select pet>repeat. Allows for basically no mana usage so you can just spam it infinitely. Gains will come fairly regularly.
Never done anything for me... but I'll keep trying... is that selecting a pet that you have bonded or some new pet???

Herp!

Journeyman
Never done anything for me... but I'll keep trying... is that selecting a pet that you have bonded or some new pet???
I just use a bonded one.. prob works with any though.

My taming is at 100.2 and has been for months. I use 20 in jewels to get it 120. I have 1.5 available points. I have killed a ton of greater dragons with my pets for leather. I don't gain taming by using a pet to kill stuff. I can take off my jewels and gain .1 on a gamen if I want. Who is saying you can gain taming skills by saying all kill?
I'm not saying that you can get skill by saying all kill. I am saying that you activate the Animal Taming mastery called 'Combat Training', target your pet, ignore the menu, recast 'Combat Training', target your pet, ignore the menu, repeat..... Understand now?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OI VEY!!!!!!!
Are you all so dense????
Why are you making gaining taming so hard???
My goodness I have many tamers at various levels of skill, all gain well and I have been known to gain 1.0 a day if I want to put in a hour or 2. and this all the way to 120 taming.
On what?
Bulls
How you say?
Easy.. find a place they spawn a lot.
Tame one
Rename it a
Just a plain little case a
release it
the game registers the bull as gone and spawns another set of cows and bull
if you go to Jhelom farm bulls all over and this works very well here.
For you leather collectors this is a good place to kill off the (a) bulls and collect your hearts content of leather....
this is the games machanics and as far as I know legal
As all your doing is taming and naming your tame and releasing it...
Have fun kiddies

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you dont currently find it fun and entertaining? Or is the more, more, more mentality the only way for it to continue to be entertaining for you ? If thats your thinking then just lift the slot restriction entirely. It was set at 5 for a reason ... you just want more. As always.

Its a lazy dev team that simply lifts caps rather than introduce new and exciting content regularly. Thats the way to keep the game being fun, not simply raising caps to pander to the more crowd.
It's a lazy dev team that simply puts a cap on what used to be limitless.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a lazy dev team that simply puts a cap on what used to be limitless.
Yes because I'm sure no pvp player will scream at the top of their lungs after getting slaughtered by 6 rune beetles :facepalm:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just use a bonded one.. prob works with any though.

I'm not saying that you can get skill by saying all kill. I am saying that you activate the Animal Taming mastery called 'Combat Training', target your pet, ignore the menu, recast 'Combat Training', target your pet, ignore the menu, repeat..... Understand now?
I just tried this it does take 30 mana and I got 0 gains in an hour maybe I'm doing it I tried it on a horse I tamed should I do it on a bonded greater dragon ? Or did the Devs nerf this trick

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK OK SETTLE DOWN.

I use to run up to 3 WW's and my nightmare doing spawns...BUT that was way before any critter of higher skill set was even on the drawing board.
It was a good time to play and yes to some today knowing the newer pets I can see where they might freek out on the idea of 3 rune beetles running them over..
So now you see a tad bit of why the slot numbers will not go up. As you might not or I do so.. but there is joe smo out there with a with a wild hair up their bum who would do just that. So no they will not raise the pet slots..
It's the job of the team to think of all the wild things players might do with a change in this revamp.
I want my WW up to snuff, don't get me wrong having the dragons up to their old powers and being renamed to Greater Dragons was a good idea I just wish the slot number would have let me ride my ethy ... call me lazy but I prefer killing sitting down.

Perfer

Visitor
Using the mastery does not increase your taming skill. Whether you click the menu or not. It may have been a bug at one time. Or maybe it only works if you have 120 taming. :tongue:
I just finished getting to 120 taming 2 days ago by doing what they describe with combat mastery.. took me from 90-120 in about 3 days.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just finished getting to 120 taming 2 days ago by doing what they describe with combat mastery.. took me from 90-120 in about 3 days.

How exactly do you do it ?

PaulCH

Journeyman
Adding a control slot is a valid question for multiple reasons:
1) Devs are in the process of doing the pet revamp so good time to implement
2) Drilling down, it also makes sense to consider changing total control slots since it looks like they will modify pet training to allow it to increase a pet's control slots
3) It add the possibility of 6 slots pets. I'm sure that there are many examples but the first one that comes to mind is ancient wyrms. It creates more flexibility in what they can allow people to tame (hypothetically, an ancient wyrm is too good to be a 5 slot pet but would make sense as a 6 slot pet)
4) It allows for more interesting combinations and strategies when deciding which pets to use and which to train to which slots. Do I increase my rune beetle to 6 slots or run two 3 slot rune beetles. Then once I decide on how to train them, what combination do I hunt with?

While this may cause balance issues, other changes may as well. This doesn't mean that we should just mess things up more since we may mess them up already but rather that the devs have the opportunity to add a 6th control slot while they work on balancing this publish anyways.

My small stake in this...same as @Lady Storm, I'd like to ride a pet (or ethy) while hunting with my GD but I'm *not* asking to unbalance the game just so I can get this. Ultimately, I've decided to simply change my tamer to a gargoyle if this ever really causes me a problem...

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohhh if only more people were around to remember 15 Dragons or WW's being bugged into the side of the Minax base at Pap on Europa Shard by Sara[SL] and all kill commands being placed from outside.

Those were the days. Lol

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How exactly do you do it ?
It was already explained: combat training>wait for targ>last target macro

Make sure you have max LMC with lots of mana increase and mana regen. I've done two tamers by taming bulls (with jewels equipped) from 50-90 real, then switched to mastery. Takes 2-3 days of mastery spamming.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just raised taming .5 in 20 minutes of spamming. This cant possibly be working as intended. I'm using a level two mastery with a GD.

Herp!

Journeyman
Just raised taming .5 in 20 minutes of spamming. This cant possibly be working as intended. I'm using a level two mastery with a GD.
Confirmed working as intended since Pub 90. Likely works with all skills that have a spammable mastery spell. I've done SW(Mana Shield), all 4 bard skills(any of the 3 masteries spells), and taming 90-120 with mastery spells.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Confirmed working as intended since Pub 90. Likely works with all skills that have a spammable mastery spell. I've done SW(Mana Shield), all 4 bard skills(any of the 3 masteries spells), and taming 90-120 with mastery spells.
wow. We asked for an easier way. guess we got it. gone from 90.5 to 95.4 in 2ish hours. saved myself about 12 mil right there :)

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think if they just make a summoning ball to work both ways, it would save a lot complains about not being able to use a different pet on the go. Similar to sampires/warriors switching weps in the middle of encounter. Maybe just limit use to non-in the battle only. We already have those hitching posts in many places, summoning /sending back to stables via pet ball would make more versatile and dont think that overpowered