• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Intensity Calculator (Enhanced Rating System)

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hi Everyone,

After a lot of hard work, math, formulas, testing, and troubleshooting, we are happy to release to you an Enhanced Rating System for Pets, also known as the Pet Intensity Calculator.

If you don't want to read the detailed information below, you can jump right to the calculator here:
Pet Intensity Calculator | (uo-cah.com)

Background
The Pet Intensity Calculator was created as a successor to the original Pet Power Calculator created by Kitiara of UOCraft. With the changes to the Animal Taming system in Publish 97, the old calculator unfortunately became obsolete. The rating system was no longer relevant (except for natural 5-slot pets), as you now needed to focus on the training potential of the pet.

This left a hole in the community for how to determine if a pet is worth keeping or not, and how good of a pet it was. You could still reference the old rating system to get a general idea, but the 0-5 rating system was no longer precise enough to rate a pet's true training potential.

Luckily the UO Devs gave us a new way to rate a pet in Pub 97, it just needed to be actualized. Each Attribute, Resist, Regen, Skill, Ability, etc. of a pet has a value associated with it. Using these values we can determine how many base points a pet has. We refer to this rating as the Intensity Rating of the pet.

What It Does
The Pet Intensity Calculator will compare the Intensity of the pet you entered, to the Min / Max Intensity of that pet (aka its Spawn Range). Each stat is weighted based on the intensity value of that item. In the old system, Resists and Hit Points were weighted much higher than other stats, but this is no longer an appropriate way to rate a pet.

You will then get a % rating from 0% to 100% which will tell you where your pet falls in the potential spawn range. The calculator takes all variables into account: Overcapped skills, innate magics and abilities, base damage, etc. All of these items need to be calculated to get the proper true rating of the pet.

Below the Intensity Rating of the pet is a Detailed Intensity Rating table, which shows where the intensity is generated from, and individual ratings for each item. You do not need to worry about this detailed information unless you like to see the details. If you just want the rating, that is displayed separate of the details table:

Why 0% to 100%
This is the most accurate way to rate a pet with the new system. If your pet rates 13%, then it means your pet only has 13% of the potential Intensity of that pet species. We thought about turning the % rating into a decimal system again, but we didn't want to confuse the new system with the old system. This way if someone says their pet is a 3.4, you know it is using the old rating system.

It is also important to look at the pet as a whole. Some pets have a very small spawn range, so a 13% may be the difference of 50 Intensity. For other pets with a wide spawn range, 13% could be several hundred points. Make sure you take all elements of a pet into account before dismissing it based purely on the % rating.

A 100% rating is extremely rare, if not impossible to achieve on most pets. Anything 90% and higher is going to be one of the best pets and truly rare. Anything that rates 70% or higher is going to be exceptional for most pets.

Pets With Overcapped Resists
One of the biggest issues the community has with rating pets in the currently system is how to deal with pets that have overcapped resists (such as a Cu Sidhe). 85 Cold / 85 Energy is typically not desirable, however a desirable pet with 70/70 or 75/75 resists would rate lower since it further from the cap.

We address this issue with Resist Thresholds. Since resist desirability is subjective, we have added the ability for you to set your own Resist Threshold per resist. This threshold acts as the "Target" resist when rating that pet. For Example: If you set a Cold Resist Threshold of 75, a Cu Sidhe with 80 Cold Resist will rate higher than a pet with 83 Cold Resist.

It is important to disclose when a rating is modify be a Resist Threshold, so this information is clearly displayed in the results if the pet was calculated with a threshold, and any resist with an applied threshold will be highlighted in the intensity details:

Multi-Slot Pets
Another major issue within the community was how to properly rate multi-slot pets (these are pets that can spawn at different slot levels). The lower control slot is typically the desired target for anyone taming a multi-slot pet. However, this posed a problem with rating these pets, as it typically meant they were rated very low.

In the Pet Intensity Calculator we have implemented a Slot Detection System for multi-slot pets that will detect what slot the pet should be at, and rate it against the Slot Intensity for that pet. You can now see how your 2-Slot nightmare rates against other 2-slot nightmares:

Determining which slot a pet will be based on its stats takes a lot of work on our end, so not every multi-slot pet is currently setup for Slot Detection. As we continue to work on gathering data, the Slot Detection system will be expanded to cover more pets.

Legacy Pets
The Pet Intensity Calculator has separate entries for Legacy Pets. It is important to separate Legacies into their own category so they can accurately rate against each other. Otherwise a new-spawning 2-slot nightmare will never rate good due to Legacy nightmares.

Trained Pets
In addition to applying a rating to newly tamed pets, the Pet Intensity Calculator can also tell you the Intensity Rating of your trained pet as well. The rating you get from the Trained Pet Calculator will be based on the Max Trainable Intensity of the selected pet. This will allow you to see how your trained pet's intensity compares to other trained pets.

In the Trained Pet Calculator we also provide a field where you can input the Remaining Training Points of your pet. This is important to enter, as it allows you to see how your pet will rate once it is fully trained.

Pet Selection
Not all pets are currently available for selection. We are working on adding the rest of the pets as fast as we can. We have noticed a lot of incomplete or incorrect information in some of the other databases out there, so we are trying to verify all pets as we add them. If you have a specific pet you would like to see become available, please let me know and I will prioritize those requests.

Acknowledgements

Special Thanks to @Khaelor for helping me test the calculator, gather data, and make design decisions.
Special Thanks to our guild The Sacrificial Lambs [cah] on Chesapeake for all their help and patience as well.

Contact
If you run into an issue with the Calculator, or you have a pet that falls out of bounds to what the calculator says, please submit a correction to me. The database is based off of our own mass Animal Loring of creatures, as well as the Stratics and UOGuide creature databases.

You can submit a correction via WebForm, Messaging me here on Stratics, or by Discord at Khyro#5586.

Feedback, Suggestions, and Feature Requests are also welcomed with the above contact methods.

Other Tools & Information
We also offer a variety of other tools, guides, and information on our website. Please visit us at www.uo-cah.com

Tools:
Guides:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Changelog

July 28th:

• Added Saurosaurus to database
  • Added Serpentine Dragon to database
  • Added Greater Dragon to database
  • Added Dimetrosaur to database
  • Added Frost Dragon to database
  • Added Shadow Wyrm to database
  • Updated slot detection algorithm
  • Added slot detection for Najasaurus
  • Added slot detection for Reptalon
  • Added slot detection for Frost Mite
  • Corrected display error on Trained Pet Calculator in certain cases when a pet had innate magical abilities
  • Updated Trained Pet Calculator ratings for multi-slot pets to more accurately display the rating based on the training potential of the starting slot of the pet
  • Fixed issue on Trained Pet Calculator where Base Damage was sometimes added twice to the intensity total
August 3rd:
  • Added Phoenix to database
  • Made improvements to slot detection algorithm
  • Added slot detection for Phoenix
  • Added slot detection for White Wyrm
  • Added slot detection for Lesser Hiryu
  • Updated New Tame results to display how far from the intensity cap the pet is
  • Corrected minimum intensity value for the high-slot version of multi-slot pets
  • Updated Trained Pet calculator to display trainable ranges for each slot of a multi-slot pet
  • Fixed display issue with 0% skills not showing the % character on New Tame results page
  • Added intensity cost for untrainable ability "Rage"
  • Added intensity cost for untrainable ability "Healing"

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very nice. Thanks for the work. I like the % rating.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you put minimum/maximum values for the stats once the pet type is selected? That way you can see where the pet is lacking on that first screen. You have the caps below but the full range would be nice to see. Thanks

Most of the pets I can find by searching the forums are 75% or less.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Can you put minimum/maximum values for the stats once the pet type is selected? That way you can see where the pet is lacking on that first screen. You have the caps below but the full range would be nice to see. Thanks
I might be able to show the ranges on pet selection in a future update once I'm done with the pet database. The cap and % of each stat in the details table will get you pretty close to the range. We're also going to be putting up Bestiary type pages based on the recorded data that will have those ranges available as well (there's a couple up already).

Most of the pets I can find by searching the forums are 75% or less.
75% is still a pretty good pet. It's not pass/fail so 70% and higher are still typically really good pets.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for putting in so much work to make this new pet calculator. I’m sure I’ll be using going forward.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
75% is still a pretty good pet. It's not pass/fail so 70% and higher are still typically really good pets.
Ya that's what I mean. I hope people realize that they will find few pets that are 90% or above. They will be killing some useable pets.

The strength, hit points, and all resists points weigh heavily. It will be difficult to find a pet at 80% in those 7 stats.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wall of text
Might be useful to introduce hint notices on each pet in the intensity calculation page.
For example, CU where having 70 / 70 cold/energy might be super rare, could rate as a lower intensity even with 590hp.

There could be notes for rare spawns on frostmites. 85 cold, 50 poisoning for example.

There are examples on other pets too. >160resist on certain dino pets etc.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for taking the time and effort on this project! This is a good extension to people doing this informally with higher cost attributes.

One piece of design feedback. Could you show the point cost next to the name, so people get the information, and also, if anything changes in the future, they will be able to see what values the calculator uses?

This is what I mean, by example:

Strength (3.0)
Dexterity (0.1)
Intelligence (0.5)

I'll give it a try, but one of the things I look for in a pet is maximum training potential, so it would be nice to see that score for newly tamed, or even untamed pets.

Anyway, thank you again for putting that together. I still don't agree with the idea that overcapped resist is a bad thing, so I'm glad to see that it is optional rather than enforced against people. I would value a Cu with 85 Energy overcapped over one with 70. This part of it is a little editorial and unfortunate.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for taking the time and effort on this project! This is a good extension to people doing this informally with higher cost attributes.

One piece of design feedback. Could you show the point cost next to the name, so people get the information, and also, if anything changes in the future, they will be able to see what values the calculator uses?

This is what I mean, by example:

Strength (3.0)
Dexterity (0.1)
Intelligence (0.5)
This can be determined by dividing the Intensity by the Value in the details tab. (2100 Intensity / 700 Strength = 3). The details table itself is already very busy with information, so I don't want to overload it with formulas if I don't need to. The information can easily be reverse engineered from the table details though.

I'll give it a try, but one of the things I look for in a pet is maximum training potential, so it would be nice to see that score for newly tamed, or even untamed pets.
This is something I can look into adding to the New Tame calculator. The spawn Intensity Range does give this information though, as a pet with a higher spawn intensity will have a greater max training potential than a pet with a lower spawn intensity.
However, since the data entered doesn't clear when you submit it, and easy way to view the max training potential of the pet is to use the "Change Calculator" button and re-calculate. This will then show you the Max Training Potential on that screen.

I still don't agree with the idea that overcapped resist is a bad thing, so I'm glad to see that it is optional rather than enforced against people. I would value a Cu with 85 Energy overcapped over one with 70. This part of it is a little editorial and unfortunate.
Resists are, and always will be, subjective. I'm sorry you feel the examples I give are editorial, but no bias was made with the design of the calculator or examples. It has been a long standing issue in the community since Pub 97 on how to rate pets with overcapped resists. This is exactly why I let the user decide where they want the threshold to be, and that information is marked in the results below. I used a Cu as an example on the calculator because it is one of the most widely tamed pets with overcapped resists. I would argue that a Cu with 70/70 is much more desirable to the majority of players than one with 85/85. For example, this was a suggestion given 2 posts above yours:

Might be useful to introduce hint notices on each pet in the intensity calculation page.
For example, CU where having 70 / 70 cold/energy might be super rare, could rate as a lower intensity even with 590hp.
So you can see, resists are definitely subjective. I have one person asking for a special note on the rarity of a 70/70 Cu, and another person 2 posts later upset that the calculator gives the option to set a resist threshold :p

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This calculator is pretty balls. Thanks for adding the serp dragon and how fast that was. Haha. Surprisingly awesome. I got my dragon already and is bonding....now I know it's pretty good.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

The calculator has been updated with several new pets. The slot detection algorithm was adjusted and slot detection was added for Najasaurus, Frost Mite, and Reptalon, so there are now 5 pets in the calculator that attempt to detect slots (Nightmares and Skree are the other 2). Also made a few bug fixes. You can see the full list of changes made yesterday in the Changelog post above (second post).

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, i prefer Cus with 70 Cold/85 Energy Resist. Because Energy is among the top 3 most common elements used. Physical > Fire > Energy > Cold > Poison.
Saurosaurus at 85 Physical/90 Fire are also amazing Dragon tanks.
What would be an interesting addition to that calculator, is the Phoenix. Phoenix can spawn as 3 or 4 slots, and have a large amount of Stats and stat variation. 500-700 STR, 200-300 DEX, 500-700 INT. Ideally, you'd want as much STR, and as little DEX as possible while still being a 3 Slot, since they have so much total stats to begin with that you can't increase their STR/DEX/INT.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, Lets see if I have this correct.

My Cu gave me this result. It has 70 cold so I like that.

upload_2018-7-29_18-25-10.png

Subtract Max range from from my value.

5185 - 4989 = 196

So this Cu is 196 points off a Perfect Cu.

Thats 196/3 = 65.33

That means mine would be only 65 HP off a perfect Cu? Not bad for a 70% er.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So, Lets see if I have this correct.

My Cu gave me this result. It has 70 cold so I like that.

View attachment 84723

Subtract Max range from from my value.

5185 - 4989 = 196

So this Cu is 196 points off a Perfect Cu.

Thats 196/3 = 65.33

That means mine would be only 65 HP off a perfect Cu? Not bad for a 70% er.
It depends on what its current HP are. It doesn't look like you set a resist threshold, so at 70 cold, 45 of the missing intensity will be from cold resist.

If the other stats/resists aren't at cap, then you will need to deduct that intensity as well.

But the % is accurate. Cu's have an intensity spread of 661 points, so if you are missing 196 intensity: 465/661 = 70%.

If you like the 70 cold resist, you could set the cold threshold to 70 since that is your desired target. This would give it a modified rating of 75%.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im just going by a base pet that is fresh. Ignore the cold resist.

If the base pet is that value. Wouldn't that value be the only difference?

A perfect one and it will get the same points later. Whether I put it in resists or whatever.

Or is the comparison I am making not good because I may need to use more 3 point items when I build?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Im just going by a base pet that is fresh. Ignore the cold resist.

If the base pet is that value. Wouldn't that value be the only difference?

A perfect one and it will get the same points later. Whether I put it in resists or whatever.

Or is the comparison I am making not good because I may need to use more 3 point items when I build?
Correct, if you are just looking at the base value of the pet, it is only 196 intensity off of a perfect cap no matter where those points fall.

So take 2 Cu's, one with the Intensity you gave above and one that was absolutely perfect. If you were to train these up like you normally would, the end difference would be a ~65 HP difference between them.

This is why the calculator looks at all stats equally and weighs them at the cost of training them. In the end it doesn't matter where the points are actually allocated, it's just the total pool you have to pull from.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Fellow tamers, while we may not agree with other people's thoughts, opinions, or ideas we need to make sure that we are keeping discussions on topic and free of accusations and attacks. Personal grudges are not be taken out here on Stratics. Continuation of this will result in thread bans which means you will no longer be allowed to post in the thread, warnings, or both. Nothing derails a thread quicker than bickering and fighting. I am taking a preemptive stance now before things go sideways. You may disagree but no name calling, insults, accusations (even without names though people know who you are referring to) or personal attacks. Helpful taming threads have been derailed and some even removed over disagreements and I would hate to see that happen again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perfect!!! You made it idiot Proof!!!

I can use it! :dunce:

When comparing pets. I am going to look more at that intensity difference. Because for a good build you do the same thing to all pet types if possible. The only leftover points on a tight pet type would go to HP.

I used it to bid on the correct Nightmare on the trade forums. @Khaelor cost me 10M but that means it is a good one. :)

Fellow tamers,
We will play nice! The good stuff is the first post anyway.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So more math. YUK.

Lets stick with the same Cu above.

upload_2018-7-29_21-4-17.png

The worst Cu will start as 4524. The best can go up to 5185.

4524/5185 = .87 So the worst CU is 87% of the best one.

Mine 4989/5185 = .96 So mine is 96% of the best a Cu can be.

You get your % from a different method:

Total variance of intensity range vs Variance of pet.

Total 5185 - 4524 = 661

Mine 5185 - 4989 = 196

Divide those 196/661 = 29.65%

100% - 29.65% = 70.35%

What I am doing works for all pets.

I like my 96% better.

Let me know if something is not correct. Thanks

Last edited:

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you can see, resists are definitely subjective. I have one person asking for a special note on the rarity of a 70/70 Cu, and another person 2 posts later upset that the calculator gives the option to set a resist threshold :p
85 85 cu are pretty useless IMO.
Either you are usually stuck with pets that have no room to up phys / fire to max and poisoning in normal range.
Or you get a pet where poisoning is just too low to even survive a yamadon.

So obviously being able to resist thresholds is super important.
People bid a lot more for 85% frostmites with 50% poisoning than a 95% frostmite with maxed poisoning. Guess why? Once again, resist layouts being maxed at 365 points.

Prepatch dragons come as low as 80%. Fck yeaah, 80% PP WW are da booomb.
But a 90% one can also be good if it's a 760str one. Just wont be easily balanced.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My new Nightmare:

upload_2018-7-29_22-42-4.png

This is the important part.
upload_2018-7-29_22-42-41.png

This pet starts at 69 points off a perfect pet. 5038 - 4969

That makes it at 4969/5038 = .9863 98.63% of a perfect pet.

The worst one would be at 93%.

What does this mean when you build one of these. You put points in all the things you want. and build the base pet. When you are done, you can add some more HPs.

My new pet will have 69 /3 = 23 less HP than a perfect PP Nightmare.

The worst PP would have 349 points from a perfect one. Thats 116HP.

For all pets. No matter what % you get from this calculator, your pet will do the same damage if you build the base pet the same.

You will just have fewer HP on your pet.

That is why we put out so many building guides so you will build a base pet that can work for any pet you like.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I just calculated a lesser hiyru, looks like the INT is throwing off the calculation maybe? If not did I find a really awesome lesser hiyru?

EDIT: I did the calculation wrong I had to uncheck rate 125 minimum there is even a foot note telling you to do so for pets like a lesser hiyru: "Note: Uncheck this to get a more accurate rating on a lower end Multi-Slot pet."

My real intensity rating is 73.34%

Attachments

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just calculated a lesser hiyru, looks like the INT is throwing off the calculation maybe? If not did I find a really awesome lesser hiyru?
Thanks for reporting it, the database has been corrected (wrestling and int). Forgot to add in the Int value, if you refresh your browser page it should be updated.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The worst Cu will start as 4524. The best can go up to 5185.

4524/5185 = .87 So the worst CU is 87% of the best one.

Mine 4989/5185 = .96 So mine is 96% of the best a Cu can be.
This pet starts at 69 points off a perfect pet. 5038 - 4969

That makes it at 4969/5038 = .9863 98.63% of a perfect pet.

The worst one would be at 93%.
We initially started with this method of determining the % rating, but realized it was going to be very misleading. Different pets have different ranges, innate abilities, and starting slots. With this method of generating the % rating, everything gets artificially bumped way up. This would be equivalent of the UOCraft rating system being 4.00 to 5.00 only. It doesn't paint an accurate picture of how the pet rates.

You get your % from a different method:

Total variance of intensity range vs Variance of pet.

Total 5185 - 4524 = 661

Mine 5185 - 4989 = 196

Divide those 196/661 = 29.65%

100% - 29.65% = 70.35%

What I am doing works for all pets.

I like my 96% better.
It's important to rate the pet based on the spawn intensity range to get an accurate representation of that pet. With 0% to 100%, it's easy to see where the pet falls in the potential spawn range. A 0% pet is literally the worst version of that pet that can exist. A 70% pet is better than 70% of other potential spawns, etc.

By not accounting for the spawn variance, a 0% Cu now equals an 87%. In addition, different pets are going to have different low-end ratings. Legacy nightmares given in your example would be 93% at worst.

It may look better to see a pet at 96% vs 70%, but IMO it is sugar coating the results.

Pawain said:
What does this mean when you build one of these. You put points in all the things you want. and build the base pet. When you are done, you can add some more HPs.

My new pet will have 69 /3 = 23 less HP than a perfect PP Nightmare.

The worst PP would have 349 points from a perfect one. Thats 116HP.

For all pets. No matter what % you get from this calculator, your pet will do the same damage if you build the base pet the same.

You will just have fewer HP on your pet.

That is why we put out so many building guides so you will build a base pet that can work for any pet you like.
This is true. In the grand scheme of training, most pets will be very similar in stats. Most of the difference will be in Health and Mana. It then comes down to preferred pet type and innate abilities.

We may look at adding some interactive feedback to the % rating to not discourage people from trashing 70%+ pets. Hopefully as people get more familiar with the system they will feel better about the rating.

Can't look at 70% like a C-. You should look at it as that pet is better than 70% of all other pets out there.

I would have loved that 87% to 100% rating curve back in high school though~

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
85 85 cu are pretty useless IMO.
Either you are usually stuck with pets that have no room to up phys / fire to max and poisoning in normal range.
Or you get a pet where poisoning is just too low to even survive a yamadon.

So obviously being able to resist thresholds is super important.
People bid a lot more for 85% frostmites with 50% poisoning than a 95% frostmite with maxed poisoning. Guess why? Once again, resist layouts being maxed at 365 points.

Prepatch dragons come as low as 80%. Fck yeaah, 80% PP WW are da booomb.
But a 90% one can also be good if it's a 760str one. Just wont be easily balanced.
Most of my pets are 80/80/65/60/80, but there are a few with lower Poison Resist, such as my Saurosaurus with 85/90/65/45/80. I don't use him for tanking the few heavy hitting Poison creatures like Putrifier though, i use a Najasaurus with AI for that (100% Poison Resist, and completely immune to Poison status). Btw, Yamandons deal 70% Physical/20% Poison/10% Energy damage with their melee.

I have a Pre-Patch Pure White Wyrm with 760 STR and 80 Cold Resist on Atlantic. Unfortunately however, i didn't save enough points to add Chivalry, since i had built him before Chiv was extensively tested.
WW 1.PNG WW 3.PNG WW 11.PNG

Fire Beetles can pretty easily reach 100% on that Calculator, since the only real difference between them when they spawn, is 70-75 Fire Resist. Doesn't take that long to get a 75 Fire Resist Fire Beetle to spawn, and voila, you got a 100%.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Added Phoenix to the database. There were conflicting stats between UOGuide and Stratics Wiki, so we had to do some mass animal loring of them to determine which was the most accurate (it's now Stratics, as I uploaded a lot of my results to their DB).

Slot detection was added for Phoenix, White Wyrm (non-legacy), and Lesser Hiryu.

Added additional information on New Tame results page to show how far off of the Intensity cap that pet is. This should make it easier for people to make determinations about their pet:

If you use the Trained Pet calculator with a multi-slot pet, you will now see a rating and trained intensity range based on the slot detection for that animal:

Changelog was updated with full details.

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Update:

A Pet Planner Tool has been added to the Pet Intensity Calculator. You can view the full details here: Pet Planner Tool

To access the Pet Planner from the Intensity Calculator:
  • Calculate the Rating for a New Tame pet
  • Next to the Rating display, there is an image that says "Go To Pet Planner"
  • Click on the Image to import your pet into the Pet Planner

You can also go directly to the Pet Planner page here: Pet Planner | uo-cah.com

The Pet Planner allows you to spec out your pet to see its full training potential.

Enjoy!

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the pet intensity calculator looks great on the first view - I could NOT read any input numbers in my 'ancient' google chrome on an even older "windoze" (Vista Ultimate 64-bit). The numbers seem to align "past the bottom border" of the input fields - so that they're unreadable. It's a bit better in the default IE but still not usable for me.

In IE fields - the numbers can be made visible by setting the cursor back to the beginning of the field / number - but heck, it's still a pity and not usable easily.

Would be great if that formatting could be "optimized"?!

Below - screenshot from google chrome
PIC_google_chrome_Image02.jpg

and one from the IE ...
PIC_IE_Image03.jpg

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
While the pet intensity calculator looks great on the first view - I could NOT read any input numbers in my 'ancient' google chrome on an even older "windoze" (Vista Ultimate 64-bit). The numbers seem to align "past the bottom border" of the input fields - so that they're unreadable. It's a bit better in the default IE but still not usable for me.

In IE fields - the numbers can be made visible by setting the cursor back to the beginning of the field / number - but heck, it's still a pity and not usable easily.

View attachment 85495

and one from the IE ...
View attachment 85496
I tested across all browsers before releasing and haven't seen this issue. Do you use a global DPI scale on your computer by chance? Or browse with a default zoom level over 100%? I'll mess with some settings and see if I can reproduce the issue, then I can hopefully fix it for you.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

View attachment 85495

and one from the IE ...
View attachment 85496
Just a quick thought, I adjusted the padding on input elements. Can you refresh the page and see if they are still pushed down for you?

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick thought, I adjusted the padding on input elements. Can you refresh the page and see if they are still pushed down for you?
It's way better than before! Mean, I could use it this way. Thank you very much. It's not yet perfect - mean, the numbers still 'sit' a bit low towards the bottom line of the fields - but it's OK! ThankXXX again - super fast service!

[EDIT]Zoom was/is default at 100% and no global DPI scaling in use![/EDIT)

Last edited:

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I've finally got to rate some of my trained pets as well as some of the still WIP trainees and found some 'weird' results from some 'special' pets. I think, that probably the base intensity ranges for some pets might be not correct.

Let's begin with the fire beetle. They only differ in one particular resist and that is the fire resist. The range goes from 70 to 75. If I use the calculator for both variants to see how the base pet would rate, I get an intensity range for the base pets from 2009 - 2024 - instead of what's currently in (1901 - 2024).

base pet with min resists (!)
==> Pet Intensity Calculator | uo-cah.com

base pet with max resists (!)

I also assume, that the low border for a trained fire beetle is probably a bit 'off'?!

Look at this beast - it was a 75 fire resist base pet (=> perfect)

Then there's a Reptalon, that was a 2-slot beast as wild and fresh tamed. Now it 'looks' like this ...

Then I have some Najasaurus' which got trained with frenzied whirlwind when that only had cost 100 points ... one of them had lost more than 500 remaining points when publish 99 had gone live. The other kept the remaining points and now looks like this ...

I also have a 105% cu sidhe, that got trained with 'cheap' bladeweave ...

Stay tuned, I might find even more 'weird' pets.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Now I've finally got to rate some of my trained pets as well as some of the still WIP trainees and found some 'weird' results from some 'special' pets. I think, that probably the base intensity ranges for some pets might be not correct.
Hi, These are great test cases and I'll go through them one by one to hopefully explain what you are seeing:

Let's begin with the fire beetle. They only differ in one particular resist and that is the fire resist. The range goes from 70 to 75. If I use the calculator for both variants to see how the base pet would rate, I get an intensity range for the base pets from 2009 - 2024 - instead of what's currently in (1901 - 2024).

base pet with min resists (!)

base pet with max resists (!)

I also assume, that the low border for a trained fire beetle is probably a bit 'off'?!

Look at this beast - it was a 75 fire resist base pet (=> perfect)

First, there was an error with the spawn range on the Fire Beetle's Dex/Stam, and that was corrected.

So with (almost) any pet that doesn't spawn with capped Str/Dex/Int/Hits/Stamina/Mana you can typically train these up to 125 for free. Because of this, the pet calculator will set the caps for these items at 125, even if the pet only has a spawn range of 50-50 (like the Fire Beetle). Enabling the check-box to rate at 125 minimum will essentially treat the pet as if it is 125/125 in all those stats (which is why your 75 FR Beetle is getting the 100% rating when that is enabled). The 70 FR Beetle is technically a 0% Spawn, but because of the ability to get to 125 for free, that extra 119 intensity is included in the base pet.

This is also where the large intensity range is coming from: 2024 Cap - 15 Resist Spread - 119 Free Intensity from Training = 1890 minimum intensity. If we ignored the ability to train to 125 stats, the range would be 2009-2024.

You can actually see the effect this has with your third calculation above, for the trained Fire Beetle. Most likely this pet was not trained up to 125 stats before applying training points. If we add the 119 free intensity and redo the calculation, we see this pet is now a 108% rating: Pet Intensity Calculator | uo-cah.com

So some of the stats were raised naturally during the course of leveling it, but not all of them.

It may seem like a bummer that your perfect spawn Fire Beetle is only rating a 20% when trained, but the rating is based on the total intensity potential of the pet, which includes the free intensity from taking the time to raise stats to 125. While not that important on Fire Beetles since they have such a huge training potential as 1-5 slotters, that free intensity can make a big difference on some other pets that are much tighter on points.

Fire Beetles are an interesting case, as they are one of those pets with a very strict spawn range. We can look at adding an exception to Fire Beetles on the untrained calculator to not rate them as a 125 cap.

Then there's a Reptalon, that was a 2-slot beast as wild and fresh tamed. Now it 'looks' like this ...

Most likely this Reptalon had its Dex/Stam raised naturally after taming it to get some free intensity. Depending on the spawn, Reptalons can get around 42 free intensity from training Dex/Stam first. If we subtract that from your rating above, we get an 87% pet: Pet Intensity Calculator | uo-cah.com

You probably had a very good starting Reptalon (right on the border of 2/3 slots), and during leveling had it gain a fair amount of Dex/Stam before committing points, which pushed it over 100% on the trained rating page. For the trained calculator, the intensity number will be more important than the intensity rating (we initially didn't have the % rating on the trained calc, but added it back in).

Then I have some Najasaurus' which got trained with frenzied whirlwind when that only had cost 100 points ... one of them had lost more than 500 remaining points when publish 99 had gone live. The other kept the remaining points and now looks like this ...

I also have a 105% cu sidhe, that got trained with 'cheap' bladeweave ...
There's not much we can do about this on the calculator. Frenzied Whirlwind and Bladeweave now cost 600 points (100 for the Skill, 500 for the passive magic school), so that's how we have them entered into the calculator. If you have pets like this that were trained with the cheaper version of the specials before they were changed, then you will just need to keep a mental note of it and enjoy your free 500 intensity on them :p

Stay tuned, I might find even more 'weird' pets
Not a problem, post any you find that you think aren't rating correctly and we will make sure it's accurate. For most pets (especially trained pets), the free intensity from capping out it's stats/attributes first will be what is causing the intensity variance.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had a Phoenix that rated 98%. only 6 points off.

It had high dex. Will be tough to not give dex points but you can not set the dex above 150 and this one was also over the cap. So some of those points can not be used for training.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We had a Phoenix that rated 98%. only 6 points off.

It had high dex. Will be tough to not give dex points but you can not set the dex above 150 and this one was also over the cap. So some of those points can not be used for training.
Dex is still useful up to 190, and technically can still be useful over 190 to counter being debuffed. Dex is so cheap that the intensity difference between 190 and 280 dex is only 9 points. So while overcapped dex may not be ideal, it will only prevent you from adding 2-3 str should the pet be otherwise attribute capped.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ThankXXX again for the in depth explanation and taking the time Khyro.

Usually, I always train DEX / INT to 125 through skill training before I spend training points to boost them up to 150 / 370. So I didn't take that into account - my 'bad' ;-)

I'm pretty sure, that I also did that with my "perfect" fire beetle(s).

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Shameless bump!

There have been some minor changes on the back-end database, but nothing worthy of detailed notes.

I do have some features coming to the Pet Planner, so watch for those soon. If you haven't checked that out yet, see the post here: Pet Planner Tool or in my Signature.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Updates:

Pets Added per Request:
  • Grizzled Mare
  • High Plains Boura
  • Raptor
  • Stone Slith

Calculator Updates:
  • Added a larger intensity buffer for Najasaurus' in the calculator. This is to prevent 2-slot Najasaurus' that have been skilled prior to training from appearing as a 3-slot in the calculator. More details below.
  • Auto uncheck "Rate 125 Minimum" checkbox for certain pets to provide a more accurate rating for people

Multislot Pets, Stats Under 125, and Their Intensity Rating:

Recently I have been getting an increasing number of reports from users about their pet that "broke" the intensity calculator because it is X slot (usually 2), but the calculator shows it as either a low % 3-slot, or an over 100% 2-slot. I have explained in PMs and in a few other threads why people may get these results, but I figured I would update here for more visibility and consistency.

Intensity is a fickle thing with multislot pets that spawn with stats under 125. To get a better understanding of where intensity matters in regards to spawning, we have to look at a few things:
  • How it used to work:
    • Pets would spawn at their determined control slot based on the intensity of their stats and skills
    • Control Slots would recalculate upon taming -- this led to a few instances of someone taming a 2-slot pet that instantly became a 3-slot pet (a form of slot jumping)
    • Control Slots would recalculate upon starting advanced animal training -- another instance of slot jumping. If you tamed a high 2-slot pet, and it skilled up before you started advanced training, it could slot jump.
    • Control Slots would recalculate every time you apply any training to it -- yet another form of slot jumping. If you went super heaving into Hits or Str on certain pets, they could slot jump mid-training.
There have been several iterations of fixes that addressed the above slot jumping issues over time. These have been spread out over the last 2 years since Pub 97 went live.

• How it works now:
    • Pets spawn at their determined control slot based on the intensity of their stats and skills
    • Pets do not recalculate control slots upon taming
    • Pets do not recalculate control slots upon starting advanced animal training (Except for Legacy Dragon, Windrunner, Skeletal Cat, which will jump as soon as you start advanced animal training).
    • Pets only increase control slots once per advanced animal training, instead of everytime you spend points.

Why does this matter? We base the intensity rating % off of the spawn potential of the pet. Intensity at spawn is all that matters in determining the control slot of the pet. The pet may gain Dex/Stam/Int/Mana naturally while fighting you as you try to tame it, but this will not change its control slots.

If you tame a pet and skill it up to 125 Dex/Stam/Int/Mana naturally before starting advanced animal training, this will not increase its control slots. This will, however, increase its intensity rating in the calculator because it is now beyond spawn potential. This is still a fair assessment of the pet.

If you enter a pet into the calculator and it rates over 100%, the calculator is not broken. It means that your pet is beyond the natural spawning potential of that pet. It either skilled up naturally in the wild fighting things, or you skilled it up yourself. There is nothing wrong with doing this and it is a great way to gain extra intensity on a pet.

For example:
  • If a pet rates 100%, then it is at 100% of potential intensity that it can spawn with. This is essentially a perfect pet spawn.
  • If a pet rates 106%, then it has 6% more intensity than is possible for that particular pet to spawn with at that control slot. You essentially have 6% more intensity to work with on that pet because you skilled up its stats before starting advanced animal training.

Both of the above ratings are valid and are still a clear indicator of your pet's potential -- 106% > 100%, so it is a better pet.

When Should You Use The "Rate 125 Minimum" Checkbox

You should really only use this checkbox if you want to see the full potential of your pet if you were to naturally raise its stats to 125 before starting advanced animal training. If you have no plans to raise these stats naturally, then you will be artificially inflating the pets rating. This is why the Calculator will now automatically uncheck that box for certain pets that can spawn as multislot with under 125 stats. You are still able to re-check this box for these pets if you wish.

"Breaking" The Calculator

If you have a 2-slot pet and it rates as a 3-slot pet in the calculator, please report this to me, ideally with the full stats of the pet or a screenshot of its lore page. Note, this is different than if a pet shows as both a >100% 2-slot or a low 3-slot, that is working as intended.

If you have a pet that shows a yellow highlight on a particular stat, I wouldn't consider this breaking the calculator, but rather a new high/low for that pet that hasn't been noted before. If you send me a screenshot of that stat on the pet, I will update our database with the new information.

Hopefully this helps you understand more about intensity and how pets are rated!

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Bug Fix
- Fixed an issue on the intensity calculator where in rare cases could cause an inflated percent rating when Resist Thresholds were being used. Pets will now be accurately rated using Resist Thresholds in all cases.