• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet going poof recovery.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made this post in my thread on Uhall figured I should make a actual post here. I have been testing and trying different things hard since Sunday and have more than a few hours into this. Hope anyone that loses a pet like this going forward finds this useful :)

Just made a discovery on how to not lose the pet in one of these crash/disconnect events when your follower says 0 and your pet is not there. Going to have to try it more and see how consistent it is. I have been spending several hours per day forcing client crashes and disconnects trying to find anyway to recover lost pets. Here is the only thing I have found that gives you about a 5 in 7 chance at recovering the lost pet. I have forced 870 client crashes and 903 disconnects and managed to lose 11 pets (Just junk stable bonded pets) I Perma lost the first four before remembering that wherever in the world your pet is under normal circumstances boarding a ship via the mooring lines makes the pet appear on the deck of your ship when you board itusing the mooring lines.

When you log back in after a client crash or disconnect and your pet is NOT there and the Followers shows ZERO on your stat bar.

#1 DO NOT LOG OUT and BACK IN as would make sense in a hope that your pet will reappear. I believe this is where your pet becomes Perm Lost, is the log out and back in.

#2. DO PLACE A SHIP THAT IS A ORC SHIP, BRIT SHIP, TOKUNO OR GARG SHIP IT HAS TO BE ONE THAT YOU BOARD USING THE MOORING LINES. The old boats DO NOT WORK FOR THIS.

#3. TRY USING YOUR PET SUMMONING BALL BEFORE BOARDING THE SHIP USING THE MOORING LINES. just on the odd chance that the pet wandered off :)

#4. If the pet ball tells you it can't contact the pet BOARD THE SHIP USING THE MOORING LINES and the pet has a high chance of materializing from whatever void it was in. This is NOT 100%

#5. When the pet appears it is like it is a shade, you can't mount it, lore it or command it, the pet just stands there on the mooring line. DO NOT LOG OUT.

#6. Take control of the ships wheel manually and move the ship left or right one space, NO MORE THAN ONE SPACE. IE DO NOT USE A MACRO OR TYPE RIGHT OR LEFT!!!! ****THIS IS IMPORTANT**** you want to move the ship toward the pet or move the center of the shop to the pet. If you move the ship away from the pet it will slide off the boat and go POOF. ONE SPACE TOWARD THE PET the shade slides off the mooring line and becomes your normal pet again. and comes to you normally (MOST OF THE TIME) some of the time it slides and goes poof anyway 1 out of 5 in my testing did that and was just gone.

I have no idea where the pets go when they poof but after using this method closing the status bar and reopening the controlled followers will show however many slots your pet is again (Assuming you had a successful pet recovery.) I will take 5 out of 7 over ZERO ;)

I Still believe this is some kind of glitch in the auto stabling and I have not been able to figure anything that triggers it to occur that I am doing. It does seem to a higher % chance that a pet will poof with 2 clients open on the same computer or even with two or more computers with clients open on the same wireless router. Data packets getting mixed up server side? that is just a wild guess as that is well out of my area of knowledge :)

I am done testing this stuff for a while........... It is BORING AS HELL forcing your client to crash, restarting the client and hoing a pet went poof :) and forcing DC and logging back in is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. Now that I have found a reasonable way to recover pets that have gone who knows where, I am going to try actually playing now :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess that's why you get a warning when you open up two clients, unexpected things can happen. Sometimes it's a blessing to have a pc that can't cope with two clients open for more than a few minutes :D

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I made this post in my thread on Uhall figured I should make a actual post here. I have been testing and trying different things hard since Sunday and have more than a few hours into this. Hope anyone that loses a pet like this going forward finds this useful :)
Couple additional questions I have regarding the circumstances of your lost pets.

Do both clients crash or just one, if you have multiple open?
Are the clients on different servers?
Did you test this with all facets or is there one it particularly happens on?

Thanks

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess that's why you get a warning when you open up two clients, unexpected things can happen. Sometimes it's a blessing to have a pc that can't cope with two clients open for more than a few minutes :D
No difference between two clients on one computer or two clients operating on two computers using the same wireless router the % was virtually equal in that part of the testing. Wife was playing on her computer (Hehe want to make the spouse really angry for a disconnect while in my case she, is doing a champ spawn that is getting raided :) )

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That is dedication sir!! All tamers should thank you for your tireless work on this!

Sooo...

Thank you!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple additional questions I have regarding the circumstances of your lost pets.

Do both clients crash or just one, if you have multiple open?
Are the clients on different servers?
Did you test this with all facets or is there one it particularly happens on?

Thanks
Both crash as I used the trading a fire drake to force many of the client crashes. (A whole different bug but the best simulation of a random client crash, at my disposal)

The client crashing in my testing was all intentional and on one server at a time. I tested this on Legends, Origin, Lake Superior, and Siege. It made no difference which server. I first noted the pets poofing on Origin quite some time ago and as origin hands down has the most crashes and reverts (The revert makes no difference, it is the crash or disconnect itself.)

1773 Disconnect and client crashes resulted in only 11 pets going poof. .06% you have better odd getting a slither than losing a pet :) So this is rare and at least from a Player perspective difficult to duplicate.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Both crash as I used the trading a fire drake to force many of the client crashes. (A whole different bug but the best simulation of a random client crash
I actually got an email off to a dev, NOT @Mesanna , about this bug. I have new drakes in stables that I don't even bother to mess with because it is not worth the hassle because of the trading bug. FYI, I did get a response from said developer asking for more information. I provided it but never heard back, even when offering to let the dev watch the bug in action! @Bleak @Kyronix The offer still stands.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEED RECOVERY Two of the seven pets using the boat mooring line method still were lost. I am certain that M. and the Dev team are aware of the pet poofing problem due to some diligent FB Stalking and infiltrating special peoples private FB Groups :) A lot more pets have gone poof than just those of us that post on stratics have posted or talked about.

Want to thank everyone that PM'd me the circumstances and details about their pet going poof on my FB Group. What I was able to glean from that help.

Pets go poof for rural players about 10x more often than more urban players.

Those of us stuck with wireless or satelite as our only internet options VS Land Lines or Cable are the most vulnerable to this.

It does not matter what server you are on.

The more going on in a area IE Events, Heavy Spawns, the Roof have a much greater risk of poofing.

Some cases were clearly the old server down bug. Others the pet went wild due to lack of happiness and got whacked. Most however had no explanation and the pet simply vanished to I have no clue where, but obviously something of the pets code is left behind or the mooring line trick would not work :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually got an email off to a dev, NOT @Mesanna , about this bug. I have new drakes in stables that I don't even bother to mess with because it is not worth the hassle because of the trading bug. FYI, I did get a response from said developer asking for more information. I provided it but never heard back, even when offering to let the dev watch the bug in action! @Bleak @Kyronix The offer still stands.
I will never file a bug report or email them again :) I will post what I find here on stratics or in my FB group and they can use the info or not. I will not post the exploits I have found anywhere :)