• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Performance Issues

• Thread starter StifledArgument
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
S

StifledArgument

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had stutter steps and the ground taking forever to load and figure out some sort of wonder cure for it.

My computer is a monster(I can post my specs again if need be, short version Quad Processor, Windows XP Media Center Edition, 3.25 gigs of ram, 512 mg ATI 3870 HD video card), my internet connection is a monster, and my computer seems to handle anything thrown at it.

However, with SA, my computer has serious stutter steps, lag or hang ups or no ground every time I recall anywhere, get near npc's, people, buildings and just in general seems to have some bad issues. I have turned by settings down to minimum on everything, turned off shadows, foliage, low particle effects, no sound, everything and I still have these issues.

And I do have Direct X 9.0c, and I do have the latest ATI driver. I have 0% file fragmentation and I clean and defrag every 3 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It may not be you it may be the server ! do you always have this problem? or is it sporadic?
one thing you can do is turn all the settings down to low or off .. and see if it still does it I know I have a terrible time in luna and I have a fast computer also and a fast connect!

S

StifledArgument

Unfortunately, it is constant. It isn't sporadic and it doesn't matter if it is test or production.

I have my settings as low as they can go right now, without sound, no shadows, no nothing and it still acts identically to when it has everything cranked up all the way.

The worst part is, I have zero problem with KR at all (or any other game, when I played AoC my machine handled it with highest settings and didn't bat an eye). I hate to have to use 2D when I like the SA client, but I can't take the chance of getting whacked because I lag out. :(

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
sorry to hear that I am not sure what to tell you then .. but my first thought is maybe a problem between you specific graphics card and SA client you could try going to tech help maybe on the ea site ...

S

StifledArgument

I hope it isn't something I have to live with. I love my video card and have no plans currently to replace it. I played the "chase the game with your card" thing, and based on the graphics I would think my machine would have no issues.

I do appreciate your reply though :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some where they posted a supported Video Card list. As dumb as it may sound, do you know if your card is on that list?

I know my NVidea 6200LE is not and unexpectedly (not really as I assume they use a basic definition for a card as a default) that computer has significant performance issues graphically.

F

Fink

Stifled, I'm having the exact issues you have, stuttering, stumbling etc whenever anything new comes onscreen; people, NPCs, mobiles, houses, names (wtf can they NOT be turned off when there is a setting for it?). Settings all the way up or all the way down, doesn't seem to matter as nothing relieves the symptoms. My PC ran KR like a dream and SA runs like a nightmare. Nothing anyone has suggested has worked (thanks for trying though everyone) and I'm really at my wits' end over it. Hope you have more luck than me.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you sound like me, everytime something new comes on screen i get a multi second pause and the game just freezes up..

S

Sweeney

I'm thinking that the new client doesn't cache houses like 2d.. I lag up whenever a new house pops up on my screen (even if I just walked away from the house 5 seconds before) [doubly annoying because sometimes it will put me into the auto-run (right-click + left click) which has happened enough that I'm sure my finger isn't hitting left click at all].

I also get lag in luna, and have to use the closest zoom to walk through it without going insane. As soon as I leave Luna though, it runs smooth as silk.

S

StifledArgument

Sweeney, you might be on to something with the caching. Why else would it take on average 5 seconds to load the ground every time. I can't fix that, but maybe the devs will figure it out.

Enigma, I did check and mine is supported supposedly and I have even altered the card's settings itself to see if that helps and it seems not make a difference either.

Fink, I know exactly how you feel. I just hope they fix this soon, I like the new client but if I am going to die everywhere I go because of lag, I just can't use it. :(

F

Fink

I'm thinking that the new client doesn't cache houses like 2d.. I lag up whenever a new house pops up on my screen (even if I just walked away from the house 5 seconds before) [doubly annoying because sometimes it will put me into the auto-run (right-click + left click) which has happened enough that I'm sure my finger isn't hitting left click at all].

I also get lag in luna, and have to use the closest zoom to walk through it without going insane. As soon as I leave Luna though, it runs smooth as silk.
Absolutely what I'm finding, too. It doesn't even seem to cache my castle, whenever I move from one wing to another it reloads everything. I expect to lag a little in a fully loaded castle, but not have to pause to reload from room to room.

Also KR seemed to load houses as a "background" task, secondary to movement/latency priorities, which worked great. Enhanced seems to want you to wait to load before moving.

AutoRun/MouseFollow seems to lock on whenever I'm lagging and I'm dead certain I'm not hitting both buttons at once.

Recently things have improved - since patch, also my connexion is better of late - but I still get hitches & jerks whenever I move around my luna house or my castle, less so in wilderness or other mapped areas.

Y

yorky

Having the exact same problem, I just DLed the enhanced client last night and tried it for the first time today.

No matter where I am, in a city, in the countryside I freeze every 10 or so steps, sometimes its a split second pause, sometimes a few seconds.

I have:
NVidia 8600GT 512MB card (Latest drivers)
3 Gig RAM
5000+ AMD Athlon Dual Core CPU
on Windows XP

Pretty disappointed really, was looking forward to using the new client. I hope it gets fixed soon!

Y

yorky

Thanks for the tip Cear, unfortunately it didn't help. It seems weird but I think its something to do with the caching as the other have mentioned. I can take 3 steps and it will freeze between 1 second and up to 20 seconds, or I can take 30 steps before it does it.

With no more support being given to the 2D client I'm starting to get a bit concerned with this, apart from the freezing I do like the new graphics/interface a lot.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

With no more support being given to the 2D client I'm starting to get a bit concerned with this, apart from the freezing I do like the new graphics/interface a lot.
Were did you get that information?

As far as I know the 2D Client is still supported and I suspect it will be supported for a .... while.

G

gjohnson5

I made sure that I set my video card to optimize itself based on performance not quality. These are options that can be set in the NVIDIA Control Panel. The ATI Catalyst has similar options that can be set as well

Secondly if you're anti virus is doing alot of "heuristics" in real time protection, this can drastically slow your computer down. I would try to set the UO client to "trusted" or allow traffic from that program , then I would do so. I dont think the chances of a virus or worm being spread via UO Client is all that great.

Eset Smart Security I disabled "advanced heuristics"

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only issues I have is that I can see my Yew house in other areas of the realm (Luna, Sleeping Dragon Altar), and the other issue is that once in a while, in heavy traffic, I will take 10 steps then pause for a nansecond, then take 10 steps, then pause for a nanosec, but not always.

The antivirus trick is a good suggestion.. I will compare with it on and off.

G

gjohnson5

Also another thing that was getting me was drivermax. If you use drivermax to update drivers, Turn off the drivermax agent before playing. Devices.exe uses ALOT of CPU