• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Peerless/Doom Template as well as other options...

• Thread starter Midnight Rambler
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Midnight Rambler

Hey,

Now that my char is almost complete in taming/vet/lore, I wanted to start to switch him up for something more interesting than the plain magery/eval/med that I'm currently running with him.

First off, it should be mentioned that I am on Siege, so any reliance on items is going to be out of the question for the most part. Secondly, due to the smaller population and my erratic gameplaying hours I wanted to be able to get into Soloing Peerless and Doom bosses, since there isn't really a whole lot out there that gives the top loot.

I figured Mel would be the easiest, both to key up and do. Just get a solid GD and make sure you keep it healed. However, I also figure it would take forever to whittle her life down, so some secondary damage would be helpful.

The same goes for everything else, champ spawns, Doom, other bosses?

I initially was thinking about throwing in archery and chiv and going with something like this:

110 Taming
110 Lore
120 Vet?
120 Archery
60ish Chiv
100 Magery
100 Med

It does seem that such high magery would be a bit of a waist, but obviously on Siege I will need it to be gating around. I also figure it will also be better to have as a secondary healing ability for when my pets are getting hounded.

I also pondered the idea of necro/ss or even spellweaving, but I'm not quite sure if it's viable. I personally have always loved archery and would prefer to make it work but if I can't solo Mel or any other Peerless, I would definitely switch to something else.

Does anyone else out there have success with similar templates that aren't really item driven? Or should I go a different rout?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say much about peerless, but for Doom and champing, my favourite template is a stealth mage tamer. The template I run on Europa is:

120 tame, lore and vet
100 magery
100 hiding
100 herding or eval, or even med (soulstone swap)
60 stealth

I use stealth skill items for convenience, but you could easily bump to 90 stealth by taking the taming skills down to 110 each.

I tend to use herding to pull critters free of a spawn, or to position my pets around paragons and other nasties, or at the tokuno champ I'll move hiryu away from my pets if necessary. And for general fun and mischief ;)

The eval is obviously useful for PvP, but also for para taming cu sidhe to work the spawn a bit faster. So I like to have those two to swap between. But you can easily scratch them for skills you're more likely to use. Ninjitsu is one obvious one.

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I soloed Travesty for the first time on my tamer:
110 taming
110 lore
110 vet
110 magery
110 EI
110 meditation
and an assortment of junk. It used to be spellweaving, now it's focus, and soon will be 40 spellweaving.

That was a boring 45 minutes.

Anyhow, Travesty is easy on a tamer. Very easy. But slow. And boring.

The good thing about that template is you can go anywhere and do anything.

For Mel, I'd replace vet and EI with archery and tactics for the extra damage. I'd probably do the same for Grizzle.

N

NickyDishes

uh...no spellweaving is the way to go...best pvm temp in game in my opinion....i solo trav in 20 min.....and i solo grizzle, mel, dH, and even shimmer with this template....very very powerful...with a good focus (6) u can do everything and anything with this temp( aside from paroxy cause he eats pets). Oh and also i forgot to mention running the guantlet in doom solo too. being able to self rez, cast self rez on pets, enhanced healing on pets, and having wod to speed up end of fight is way worth while to me...i have even tried disco on this template...but cant fit med in with it so need to be with one other person if goin disco route.....but if it was possible to fit med on the disco spellweaving tamer....OMG is all i gotta say :D

M

Midnight Rambler

I like all the responses thus far and I appreciate them. Though Nickydishes, when I see some sort of rambling, mostly incoherent response like that, I cannot help but be intrigued. I believe you but I want to understand you.

Are you just going with a basic tamer/mage template, except switching Spellweaving out with Eval? Are you rolling with lots of item based skill stuff? How do you take care of secondary spawn on the DF, just equip a undead book and go to town?

I've been playing this game for so long that really the only thing that is keeping me here is figuring out how to do this stuff consistently. I appreciate all the responses. Why not figure out how to pull this kind of thing off?

S

Seismic

I'm going for a provo tamer to solo Doom. Working on my taming now so I don't have to use bracelets for +skill :).

I may try SW down the road..

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm mixing SW with necro, but I can't say for certain yet how good it is given that I'm still learning how to use it best. It feels great on offensive capability, but I need to work on my defence tactics and better kit.

What I will mention is that while a stealther may do less damage (and I happily admit that), hands down my stealther can out survive all my tamers combined. In skillful hands, with good kit, the top templates are fantastic at soloing high end stuff and so on, but there are quite a few occasions when I've been the last person alive in Doom and stood resurrecting those guys on the beach ;) I've moved to other risky templates since building my main, but if I had to pick one tamer out of the lot, it's the stealther. Just because I think surviving and doing steady damage can be just as good as hitting a mob with word of death at the end.

Just something to throw in the pot as it were :)

Wenchy

M

malickk

uh...no spellweaving is the way to go...best pvm temp in game in my opinion....i solo trav in 20 min.....and i solo grizzle, mel, dH, and even shimmer with this template....very very powerful...with a good focus (6) u can do everything and anything with this temp( aside from paroxy cause he eats pets). Oh and also i forgot to mention running the guantlet in doom solo too. being able to self rez, cast self rez on pets, enhanced healing on pets, and having wod to speed up end of fight is way worth while to me...i have even tried disco on this template...but cant fit med in with it so need to be with one other person if goin disco route.....but if it was possible to fit med on the disco spellweaving tamer....OMG is all i gotta say :D
Can you tell us your template? What equipment do you use?

How much SW should one have? I tried SW once but the spells really take up a lot of mana how do you get around that? Can you not solo the DF with this template?

On another note. I have recently been reading the taming forums looking for a good template to solo DH TRAV and other things. I took up hiding and stealth along with ninja. Wenchkin is correct when he says hiding/stealth is so nice. (I get fed up dying). But I have not found much use for ninja. You cant outrun certain monsters at DH and you cant cast spells in animal form. Perhaps I should drop it and if I do what do I replace it with? Any reply would be appreciated :)
Malickk