• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paragon Chest Question

Idahoan

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the safest way to open them?

Lockpicking is not a problem, but how to open them with out getting killed by the trap?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
telekinesis (little 3rd circle magery spell) is your friend - even better than having remove traps skill :)

(just stand well back)

Idahoan

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what level magery to have it work?

keeps telling me my magery is too weak... at 110.0 Magery

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
um ... are you sure you're trying the right spell? telekinesis at 49+ magery should succeed 100% of the time on any container.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to lockpick the chest first, untill it is unlocked. Then you set it down and walk five tiles away from it and cast telekinesis on it to set the trap off. Now you can open it safely.

Idahoan

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it's unlocked

Have 110 magery, using tele (3rd level spell) and it keeps telling me my magic is too weak.

This is on Siege, but did not think these were any different than other shards.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aaaah ... sorry, I don't believe telekenesis works on Siege. Remove traps skill or go boom, I fear.

(can you axe them in your house of Siege?)

John Connelly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the safest way to open them?

Lockpicking is not a problem, but how to open them with out getting killed by the trap?
The chests do fire damage when you open them. Wear armour with close to 70 fire resist and you will survive.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A warrior with all 70s and over 100 HP is also a good way to get it done. Never hurts to have a friend help. :)

D

Dor of Sonoma

A warrior with all 70s and over 100 HP is also a good way to get it done. Never hurts to have a friend help. :)
Hehe! Wulf always had me open his trapped chests (to test the damage)...and was slightly disappointed that I never, ever died. Apparently, most others did.

Give me a holler if you want me to come over, CyberNickel :-D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The chests do fire damage when you open them. Wear armour with close to 70 fire resist and you will survive.
Be aware that level 2 chests (those with level 2 maps in them, that come from paragons of creatures that normally give level 1 maps) are bugged.

On occasion, level 2 chests (both the paragon chests, and ones from actually digging the level 2 maps) will do several times more damage than they are supposed to. Normally, they'll do well under 50 points of damage through 70 fire resist.

I don't die opening chests EXCEPT the occasional bugged level 2.

In the case of the bugged level 2s, I have taken as much as 159 points of damage THROUGH 70s resist armor (and given that I only had a little over 120 HP at the time, it was fatal)

And, there's no way of telling beforehand which ones are bugged.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mr. Cyber

you infact cannot use the tele spell on Siege

-Asty

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's correct, no tele spell on Siege,

Get a 70 Fire Resist horned leather suit. Petra keeps them in stock. That SHOULD keep you from getting killed.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stopped even trying to disarm once I hit level 2 ... I always assumed it just got worse from there :)

Ideally I'd like to see mechanics of these chest-traps should be changed ... it's too all-or-nothing (either it kills you or it wasn't really worth trapping in the first place). If there was some sort of puzzle where not attempting was instant death and destroy much of the treasure, a partial solution could drop it to sub-leathal damage and preserve some items, a full solution would net you the full treasure. Then again, I have nowhere to put disarm skill on my treasure hunter - I'd like him to be able to perform more than one task in the game.