• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Chivalry] Paladin - How to make it work?

Bierce

Visitor
AFAIK the last discussions about paladins here are at least few years old, so in the interest of not necroing them I decided to start a new one. Long story short, I want to give the old pure paladin a fair try. The goal is to solo PvM and have fun. Maximum efficiency is not needed as I have other templates which are good for that.

As a baseline this is what comes to mind:

Platemail, 1h weapon and shield.

120 Macefighting (Haven't played it for years, bored of SW.)
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Parrying
120 Healing
120 Anatomy

Notes:

1. There's no Bushido and Focus here, so somehow working them in might be a good idea.
2. Resisting Spells will be on a stone and I can pull it in if the encounter calls for it.

From this baseline idea, how can I make the template viable? Any essential skill, gear, artifact and stat recommendations would be highly appreciated.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I run two "pure" Paladins. Both I like way more than my Sampire. I generally use macing for stagger. I think you need Bushido. The largest issue with your template as constructed is you don't get the full Special Move mana reduction--this reduction is the reason I've never found a great way to incorporate a shield with my Paladins.

4/6 Paladin
Probably my favorite template. 120 Macing/Tactics/Anatomy or Resists/Bushido/Chivalry/Parry

My stats are something like 4/6 casting, 140 HP, 183 Dex, 70 mana, 45 HCI, 35 DCI, 35 SSI, 47 LMC. I use a 1/3 Ring with 10% SSI, Alchemist's Abomination, Scholar's Halo, Insane Tinker's legs, Lord Morph Epps, Gladiator's collar, Gloves of Feudal Grip, +10% HCI earrings. Great survivability and you get to use the full gambit of the Chiv and Bushido spells.

Healing Paladin
120 Macing
120 Tactics
120 Chiv
120 Anatomy
120 Bushido
100 Healing
60 Parry

My stats are like 145 HP, 185 Stamina, 65 mana, 45 HCI/DCI, 35 SSI, 51% LMC, etc. I have +40 skills from my jewelry and generally use mace and shield glasses, which frees up a mod on my weapon.

Last edited:

Bierce

Visitor
I run two "pure" Paladins. Both I like way more than my Sampire. I generally use macing for stagger. I think you need Bushido. The largest issue with your template as constructed is you don't get the full Special Move mana reduction.

4/6 Paladin
Probably my favorite template. 120 Macing/Tactics/Anatomy or Resists/Bushido/Chivalry/Parry
Thanks for the detailed reply. This looks interesting. So there's a strong emphasis on FC & FCR here, I'm guessing this build doesn't use Protection via scrolls. Do you use 1h+shield or a 2h weapon?

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the detailed reply. This looks interesting. So there's a strong emphasis on FC & FCR here, I'm guessing this build doesn't use Protection via scrolls. Do you use 1h+shield or a 2h weapon?
That's correct, I don't use protection. A template that runs 2/6 with protection is quite viable, and is actually much easier to build as you can get 2/6 simply from non-artifact jewelry. I just had my eye on building a viable PvM 4/6, haha. I use a 1H Hammer Pick without a shield, which allows me to easily use potions. With the Hammer Pick, my general cycle is Stagger + 3 - 4 Armor Ignores. I've never found a good way to hit the 300 skill mana reduction baseline with a shield, so I just abandoned the idea and stick with Bushido.

If you're looking at using a 2/6 Paladin, here's a good breakdown: The Dragoon (Bushido Paladin V.2.3), though this is different as (1) it relies on swords (bladed staff) and (2) it uses the Bushido mastery, which is helpful for a pure Paladin as it improves the consistency of confidence. I just like stagger too much, haha.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not one of my pally warriors uses bushido heck my archers only use one bow and all of them can hang with the toughest paragons...

Now my feint parry ninja he loves bushido

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A template that runs 2/6 with protection is quite viable
I've never dabbled with protection myself on my warriors, I was always under the impression that Protection completely negated any FC, ie FC goes to 0. Am I wrong?

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've never dabbled with protection myself on my warriors, I was always under the impression that Protection completely negated any FC, ie FC goes to 0. Am I wrong?
My understanding -- and I could be wrong -- is that protection reduces the FC cap by 2. So, because magery's FC limit is 2, the limit is reduced to 0 with production. Bushido, Chiv, and Ninjitsu's caps are 4, so protection lowers those caps to 2.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As an aside, has anyone run a paladin template with ninjistu? This would allow me to get FC from a shield and hit the minimum 300 skill requirement for LMC.

120 Macing
120 Parry
120 Chiv
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy or Resist
120 Ninjitsu

The idea would be to use EEO + slayer to hit the 300% Damage cap and use mirror images for greater defense. I've toyed with this template for a long time, but I've never trained ninjitsu and don't want to start if it's not viable, haha.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My understanding -- and I could be wrong -- is that protection reduces the FC cap by 2. So, because magery's FC limit is 2, the limit is reduced to 0 with production. Bushido, Chiv, and Ninjitsu's caps are 4, so protection lowers those caps to 2.
I think you are right, it is the caps that are lowered, not played with protection for a long time.

Regarding the 300 skill LMC, I personally dropped that a long time ago. It's far easier to have and maintain a large mana pool these days with all the legendary/artifact items available, that's just my opinion of course, incredibly difficult to test.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bierce These are all great recommendation and viable options. I always recommend players take into account their play style when building a character. The most powerful template is useless to you if you don't "enjoy" playing it. Sampires are really powerful and I use mine a lot, but to be honest, they make my brain hurt. I find it more relaxing to run across an eight lane freeway blindfolded during rush hour. ;) My first warrior I ever created is the same template you posted with swords. I have never used Bushido on it, I don't use Protection, nor do I have any FC/FCR. I do wish I had Resisting Spells some times, but that's when my "Play Style" kicks in, Fight of Flight. o_O

I think you are right, it is the caps that are lowered, not played with protection for a long time.

Regarding the 300 skill LMC, I personally dropped that a long time ago. It's far easier to have and maintain a large mana pool these days with all the legendary/artifact items available, that's just my opinion of course, incredibly difficult to test.
@Akiho This is so true with what's currently available. It is really easy to get 45 or even 55 LMC on a suit and accessories. Before the changes, Bushido was required to get the highest LMC, but not anymore. The reduction is also only for "Special" moves.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This will do well lots of stamina i forget which weapons @Pawain will know
Ultima 2005 has the Template covered well. I also use Bushido and 2 hand weapons.

One hand Weapons
For AI: The Hammer Pick was mentioned, it does the most damage. War Axe
For WW: You can use a whip. That's the only 1 hander.
For Double Strike: Maul is the only choice.

Two Hand Weapons:
For AI: There are none. Have to use a 1 hand.
For WW: I prefer the hard hitting War Hammer. Black Staff
For Double Strike: Quarter Staff Is what I use. I am going to make a Nunchaku, and try that one out in Hythloth.

The 2 hand Mace weapons are slow but they pack a punch.

Mine looks like this:
1631900388851.png

I use Petals and Apples. I made 80 Koi Pies to use as needed in Hythloth. I don't have FC, The only things I cast while fighting are EoO and Consecrate.
Those don't fizzle on me. Ill cast other things after a battle.

For Hythloth You would use cold weapons with WW and DS weapon.
The Mobs Have below 20 Cold resist so AI would not do much more damage.

In Hythloth I will do as I did in Wildfire. Have my Archer Bard follow me running Invigorate.
That puts me at 150 Str and Gives healing and HP.

No one has mentioned Toughness.
It is a great mastery spell. It increases my HP to 153 with my Bard My HP are 180s while it is on.

A sampire and I did Doom the other day. I saw no difference in the way we gave damage, took damage
or healed back up. I could cross heal him tho.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ultima 2005 has the Template covered well. I also use Bushido and 2 hand weapons.

One hand Weapons
For AI: The Hammer Pick was mentioned, it does the most damage. War Axe
For WW: You can use a whip. That's the only 1 hander.
For Double Strike: Maul is the only choice.

Two Hand Weapons:
For AI: There are none. Have to use a 1 hand.
For WW: I prefer the hard hitting War Hammer. Black Staff
For Double Strike: Quarter Staff Is what I use. I am going to make a Nunchaku, and try that one out in Hythloth.

The 2 hand Mace weapons are slow but they pack a punch.

Mine looks like this:
View attachment 122226

I use Petals and Apples. I made 80 Koi Pies to use as needed in Hythloth. I don't have FC, The only things I cast while fighting are EoO and Consecrate.
Those don't fizzle on me. Ill cast other things after a battle.

For Hythloth You would use cold weapons with WW and DS weapon.
The Mobs Have below 20 Cold resist so AI would not do much more damage.

In Hythloth I will do as I did in Wildfire. Have my Archer Bard follow me running Invigorate.
That puts me at 150 Str and Gives healing and HP.

No one has mentioned Toughness.
It is a great mastery spell. It increases my HP to 153 with my Bard My HP are 180s while it is on.

A sampire and I did Doom the other day. I saw no difference in the way we gave damage, took damage
or healed back up. I could cross heal him tho.
I watched him buy the koi

gwen

Slightly Crazed
As an aside, has anyone run a paladin template with ninjistu? This would allow me to get FC from a shield and hit the minimum 300 skill requirement for LMC.

120 Macing
120 Parry
120 Chiv
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy or Resist
120 Ninjitsu

The idea would be to use EEO + slayer to hit the 300% Damage cap and use mirror images for greater defense. I've toyed with this template for a long time, but I've never trained ninjitsu and don't want to start if it's not viable, haha.
1- Focus attacks don't work with shield. So you better have no shield on. At 120 it doubles your weapon hit properties (leech, area, spell, fatigue) for one hit. Quite powerful to refuse from using it.
2-Ninjitsu is VERY easy to train to 120. If you have soulstones. Give it a try.
0-50 buy in New Haven and use quest.
50-55 use shadows with dog form and 5-6 sheeps hitting you.
Get to 85 with jewels (2*15), use gargoyle thrower in underworld in wraith form, spam death strike. Train to 90real skill.
90-120 abuse mastery staying in some crowded area (Luna or WBB) with all mana regens you can get. Max into, 30 MR, 100 Medi will let you spam it non -stop.

3- if you will be using shadows you better get healing instead of parry. Or only 60 parry or bushido (120+120+60=300)
Bushido is for honoring (works in animal form).
When you in form you can heal with bandages. Manage to squeeze healing in template if you will have anatomy.
Don't forget : paladin heal and shadow are both counted as spells. So you cannot heal/remove curse and cast shadows at the same time. Not sure about spirit speak. Also you cannot cast shadow when mounted.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Macer/Paladin does great in the "Treasures of " Events. He has 120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Heal/GM Parry/80 Resist/120 Chiv. He uses 1H (Maul for DS, Hammer Pick for AI, Barbed Whip for WW) + Shield. His shield is an insane pre-patch no-name Legendary though, can VS on Atlantic and not find a single shield that comes anywhere close to it.
Shield 1.PNG

Stagger is great for neutering the melee damage output of most mobs/bosses. For foes that have so much Stamina that they can push through the -60% SSI to still swing fast (such as Para Balrons), i'll lower their Stamina to 0% with a Hit Fatigue weapon, which the combination of 0% Stamina and -60% SSI from Stagger has them swinging so slow that i can 4 sec bandy heal between their melee swings (makes the Para Balrons ALOT easier).
This char best pairs with a Fencer that has Healing. The Fencer can use Pierce to drop the opponent's Stamina to 0% quickly (after which point the Macer keeps Stagger up), as they cross heal each other. Works great against even bosses like Exodus.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
My Macer/Paladin does great in the "Treasures of " Events. He has 120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Heal/GM Parry/80 Resist/120 Chiv. He uses 1H (Maul for DS, Hammer Pick for AI, Barbed Whip for WW) + Shield. His shield is an insane pre-patch no-name Legendary though, can VS on Atlantic and not find a single shield that comes anywhere close to it.
View attachment 122276

Stagger is great for neutering the melee damage output of most mobs/bosses. For foes that have so much Stamina that they can push through the -60% SSI to still swing fast (such as Para Balrons), i'll lower their Stamina to 0% with a Hit Fatigue weapon, which the combination of 0% Stamina and -60% SSI from Stagger has them swinging so slow that i can 4 sec bandy heal between their melee swings (makes the Para Balrons ALOT easier).
This char best pairs with a Fencer that has Healing. The Fencer can use Pierce to drop the opponent's Stamina to 0% quickly (after which point the Macer keeps Stagger up), as they cross heal each other. Works great against even bosses like Exodus.
so you played in Wildfire event and your shield only lost 160 durability? This is because of stagger and fatigue? Nice!
My thrower used 2 grugor shields, (gargish cannot be repaired 255 to 0) and I repaired my trsnsmogged one 2 or 3 times.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so you played in Wildfire event and your shield only lost 160 durability? This is because of stagger and fatigue? Nice!
My thrower used 2 grugor shields, (gargish cannot be repaired 255 to 0) and I repaired my trsnsmogged one 2 or 3 times.
That's an old screenshot, but yeah. I don't think i had to repair my shield even once throughout Treasures of Wildfire, and this is on a char with GM Parry.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Inspired by this thread, I started experimenting a bit and stumbled on another template I like. An extension of my 4/6 Macing Paladin, but using a Daisho for Feint: 120 Swords/Parry/Tactics/Anatomy/Bushio/Chiv. I also switched to Bushido mastery for a more consistent Confidence and more mana.

The good thing about the Daisho is that, at 150 stamina, you swing at 1.25 with only 15% SSI, which I can get from my epps and cameo. That frees up my jewelry slots and I don't have to rely on Insane Tinker's legs. The Daisho also deals decent damage: With CW and DS, I was dealing about 150 - 200 damage per DS on Navrey, which is pretty similar to my hammer pick.

Feint + 120 parry + 45 DCI + improved confidence + 4/6 chiv provides a lot of defense/healing capabilities.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Daisho also deals decent damage: With CW and DS, I was dealing about 150 - 200 damage per DS on Navrey, which is pretty similar to my hammer pick.
You got to remember though, that Double Strike becomes less reliable than AI once the enemy has high Wrest/Parry, not just Resists. Against Para Balrons, AI far outperforms Double Strike. Double Strike outperforms AI against most other foes during Treasures of Hythloth though.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My feint parry sampninja almost impossible to kill just need to find a way to up dmg output

Felipovisk

Adventurer
View attachment 122276

By any chance could you post some pics of your suit and jewels plz? im trying to build something similar to this, but im traying for full plate armor, and trying to get 4/6 with skills on jewels, so its been hard and expensive.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You got to remember though, that Double Strike becomes less reliable than AI once the enemy has high Wrest/Parry, not just Resists. Against Para Balrons, AI far outperforms Double Strike. Double Strike outperforms AI against most other foes during Treasures of Hythloth though.
What's funny is I tested this template on Para Balrons and had a great deal of success against them, more so than my Macer who relies on stagger and AI. Para Balrons always give my 4/6 macer fits for some reason. I'll agree it does take a bit longer, and DS does miss, but feint just gives such a huge cushion.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
By any chance could you post some pics of your suit and jewels plz? im trying to build something similar to this, but im traying for full plate armor, and trying to get 4/6 with skills on jewels, so its been hard and expensive.
Korbu 1.PNG
These are his stats without wep/talisman equipped (Greater Strength/Agility pot chugged though) while in his usual battle suit. During the Macing Mastery "Toughness", he goes up to 177 Max HP. In addition to the displayed stats, he has 30% HLD (Mace & Shield Plate Helm variant)/2 HPR/8 SR/4 MR/50% EP/5% RPD/12% Fire Eater/Reactive Paralyze. His Jewelry is 15% HCI/15% DCI/10% SSI/25% DI/25% EP. He gets +5% Bandage Healing Bonus from his Town Buff. He's Full Plate and Packing Steel.

I also have a Luck Bone Suit for him (which i use during "Treasures of " Events). He goes over 2k Luck with Luck Sculpture used in this suit. Hoping they re-introduce the Potion of Glorious Fortune so i can really rake in the drops for Treasures of Hythloth.
Korbu 2.PNG

What's funny is I tested this template on Para Balrons and had a great deal of success against them, more so than my Macer who relies on stagger and AI. Para Balrons always give my 4/6 macer fits for some reason. I'll agree it does take a bit longer, and DS does miss, but feint just gives such a huge cushion.
I was specifically talking about AI > DS vs Paragon Balrons. The Leafblade (Fencing) has both Feint+AI, you could use a UBWS Leafblade to get both (but lose access to Onslaught with it equipped, but it's an AI wep anyways). An actual Fencer could use the Fencing Mastery "Pierce" with the Leafblade, which deals 40% Max Stamina Damage over 10 seconds. 3 Pierces is enough to drop most foes to 0% Stamina, and have them swinging slow.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My Macer/Paladin does great in the "Treasures of " Events. He has 120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Heal/GM Parry/80 Resist/120 Chiv. He uses 1H (Maul for DS, Hammer Pick for AI, Barbed Whip for WW) + Shield.
^^^^

I wanted to state for the record that I took PlayerSkillFTW's advice a while back and followed his template for the Paladin Mace Fighter almost exactly (I personally went 120 natural Tactics and got 20 points from jewels) and it's the best non-sampire melee fighter I have.

I will note that it helps alot to try and find an UBER shield so that you don't need quite as many mods on your jewels / suit pieces. One of the keys of this template is developing a rhythm of using bandages and knowing when you might have to run off and use Close Wounds. It's also important to remember that many Chivalry spells become more effective with higher Karma, so not a bad idea to do a couple of Deceit runs to work that up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chivalry spells become more effective with higher Karma,
When a returning melee dexxer comes back, I tell them to go to the Balrons at Chaos. I tell them once you can kill the Paragons you can kill just about anything in the game. At first they have to call me to kill the paragons with my pet.
If they stick with it they eventually are able to solo the Paragons. They also build up Karma fast on them. I was quite happy to see my favorite Mob in Wildfire.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will note that it helps alot to try and find an UBER shield so that you don't need quite as many mods on your jewels / suit pieces. One of the keys of this template is developing a rhythm of using bandages and knowing when you might have to run off and use Close Wounds. It's also important to remember that many Chivalry spells become more effective with higher Karma, so not a bad idea to do a couple of Deceit runs to work that up.
Yep. Since no-name Legendary Artifacts as powerful as Korbu's Shield don't spawn anymore after the loot nerf, i had to search around quite a bit before finding a similar (but lesser) Shield for sale for 25 Mill, to put on my Macer/Paladin on Napa. This shield was actually Crafted+Reforged+Imbued+Enhanced, lol.
Shield 2.PNG

My Macer/Paladins have the cap of 32k Karma. You get +10k Karma every time you enter the Exodus encounter, all the way up to the cap of 32k. With 120 Chiv and 32k Karma, they have the most powerful Chiv spells possible.

Last edited:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see reference's to "Pure Paladin" template's with Bushido as one of the skills. A "Pure Paladin" doesn't use Bushido. In fact, the Paladin was introduced into UO a year before the Samurai Empire expansion. :)

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. Since no-name Legendary Artifacts as powerful as Korbu's Shield don't spawn anymore after the loot nerf, i had to search around quite a bit before finding a similar (but lesser) Shield for sale for 25 Mill, to put on my Macer/Paladin on Napa. This shield was actually Crafted+Reforged+Imbued+Enhanced, lol.
View attachment 122439

My Macer/Paladins have the cap of 32k Karma. You get +10k Karma every time you enter the Exodus encounter, all the way up to the cap of 32k. With 120 Chiv and 32k Karma, they have the most powerful Chiv spells possible.
Just to clarify on getting the 32,000 Karma when you enter the Exodus encounter for player's that haven't done it. You don't have to fight Exodus. It takes a least 2 player's to do the Rite and make sure you accept and are teleported into where Exodus is located. There is a Moongate where you are teleported into and just use it to leave.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
View attachment 122439

Check Grugor Shield.
No DI , HCI /DCI but 10 STR and 10HP 10Parry are too good to refuse.
It's resist help if you are having imbued and reforged suit. And it is really cheap standardized item . You will be able to reproduce your suit on another shard.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Check Grugor Shield.
No DI , HCI /DCI but 10 STR and 10HP 10Parry are too good to refuse.
It's resist help if you are having imbued and reforged suit. And it is really cheap standardized item . You will be able to reproduce your suit on another shard.
My Macers hit 150 STR and 180+ Stam after pot chug, without the shield equipped. Going from GM to 110 Parry brings you from 30% chance to 32% chance to Parry with shield. Grugor's Shield offers my Macers almost nothing.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
My Macers hit 150 STR and 180+ Stam after pot chug, without the shield equipped. Going from GM to 110 Parry brings you from 30% chance to 32% chance to Parry with shield. Grugor's Shield offers my Macers almost nothing.
Pots is a thing I never got to. Hate them remain on your corpse. So trying to fit all I want on the suit.
10parry is important for my thrower. Need 120 there otherwise hit chance really low.
Now building a macer suit on mannequin, finally got a whip recipe. so reading all about it.
Still choosing gargish or elvish.

Last edited:

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a classic Paladin (one handed swordsman with shield) too and that char works pretty well. My template is real skill 120 in Swords, tac, parry, resist and 100 in anatomy, 90 in healing and 50 in chivlary. I use medi armor, so i only have 40 lmc but my main weapon is a 100% elemental bladed whip with all maximum leeches on it and different super slayers, so i nearly never have mana or stamina or health problems. On my ring and bracelet i have +15 chiv, so i get to 80 chivlary. I play human character and my stats are 143 HP, 178 Stam and 90 mana and i have 96 DI without equipped weapon. Furthermore i have ssi 40 on my shield and suit together and thats enough to wield my bladed whips with 1,25 sec swing. For example, my record for doing a deceit/neira spawn on my own is about 35 min from beginning spawn to killing neira. I run 45 hci and 45 dci without equipped weapon too and i have reactive paralyze on my shield, which helps a little bid in certain situations. This char, is a bid oldstyle, but earns most of the money and scrolls i get and even beats my tamer in getting valuable items and scrolls from champion spawns, compared to the time my paladin needs to do a neira or barracoon spawn. I use onslaught too and run Swords mastery lvl 3.
-> So you see, you dont need to run a hybrid sampire with changing jewels all day long, in order to play a very effective toon. Just my two cents :)

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@tanotan why choose medi armor ? Any bonuses I am not aware of ?
I all the time trying to avoid medable to decrease stamina losses. Cannot be refined too. And being warrior I rely on Mana leech more than on natural regens.

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run 20 MR on suit too and with jack of all trades, ihave 23 MR. If no mobs are around to leech, I always be happy with starting quickly again onslaught or whirlwind or whatever and if a pk shows up and i have to do a longer fight with that pk, i am happy too, to get quickly back my mana and if i get to half of my stamina i cast a divine fury. But thats only my preference. It might be better to run nonmedi armor (refined).

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I run 20 MR on suit too and with jack of all trades, ihave 23 MR. If no mobs are around to leech, I always be happy with starting quickly again onslaught or whirlwind or whatever and if a pk shows up and i have to do a longer fight with that pk, i am happy too, to get quickly back my mana and if i get to half of my stamina i cast a divine fury. But thats only my preference. It might be better to run nonmedi armor (refined).
Sorry, what MR has to do with Mage Armor property ?
As I know , it allows you to use your 20 Meditation (JOAT) Mana regens , and regens from Int stat. So you regen faster when not fighting. Quite small difference as for me. Not noticeable if you have 20MR on a suit. But with PVP fight ? You stand and actively meditate?

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, you are right. The difference in gaining passive mana is only 0,26 mana per second (medi armor to non me or 2,6 mana in10 sec... thats really not much difference! Maybe i remove the mage armor
from my armor :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, you are right. The difference in gaining passive mana is only 0,26 mana per second (medi armor to non me or 2,6 mana in10 sec... thats really not much difference! Maybe i remove the mage armor
from my armor :)
Removing Mage Armor would give you some inherent Stamina Protection and LMC (lowering the Mana you spend in the first place), unless you're wearing Woodland Armor. Metal Armor lets you go up to 45% LMC, while Studded/Hide/Bone/Stone lets you go up to 55% LMC.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I’ve tweaked my new 4/6 Daisho Paladin and I’m really enjoying it. I switched back to swordsmanship mastery and picked up some elemental daishos.

Onslaught helps counterbalance the lower damage output of the daisho. My typical rotation is feint -> onslaught -> 3 Double Strikes. Against Navrey, with a fire elemental daisho, I was averaging between 200 and 260ish per DS. Not bad for a weapon with 2.75 speed.

My skills are still 120 Swords/Bushido/Chiv/Parry/Anatomy/Tactics. My stats are something like 150 HP, 185 Stamina, 85 mana, 4/6, 45 DCI, 45 HCI, 51% LMC. The suit is really easy to build since you only need 15 SSI with the daisho.

Last edited:

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now i have optimized my suit and gear for doing Neira spawns on my own. Suit has now 49 lmc and i run 144 Hp,185 Stam, 86 Mana and have 45% HCI and DCI and 100 DI (106%) without weapon and SSI 40 with Ring, Brace, shield and epaulette and have reactive paralyze on my shield too. I use 100% fire elemental damage bladed whip for the spawn and a 100% fire elemental damage scimitar (with fireball and HLD, Stamina leech and mana leech on it) for Neira. While running the swordsmastery III, i spam onslaught and do 3-4 quick double strikes on Neira and heal with healing skill. When Neira spawns mobs again, i change back to fire whip (with all leeches and Hit fire area on it) and restore health, stam and mana with spamming whirlwind and onslaught. The more mobs she spawns the more multiple Fire area damage triggers too. My record is 34 min for doing a complete Neira spawn from beginning up to killing Neira, on my own. I use enchanted apples to remove all the **** she casts on me and most of the time EoO is active. My template is 120 swords, tac, parry, resisting spells, 100 anatomy (110 anatomy when i use the clean up britannia talisman with +10 anatomy), 90 heal, and 80 chiv (50 realskill + 30 from Ring and Bracelet). Btw, my fire whip has undead slayer imbued too (my fire scimitar not) and i use the conjurers trinket while doing the Neira spawn. So i have double undead slayer for the mobs in order to maximize my damage output, cause i dont run bushido and my character is human race (have to drink nightsight potions).

Last edited:

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I wanted to bump this as I've been testing out a template that I've enjoyed. I'll call it the 2/6 Parry Paladin.

Skills: 120 Weapon/Chiv/Bushido/Parry/Tactics/Anatomy. I run with 2/6 FR/FCR and protection. Suit is typical fare: 150 HP, 182 Stam, 70 mana, 45 DCI, 45 HCI, 50% LMC, etc.

The big tweak is I've been using the Parry mastery skill Heighten Senses. When active, this bumps my parry rate to 52% with a double axe. Not only does this provide me a great deal of defense, it causes Counter Attack to trigger more often, increasing my damage output. I don't have any issues draining enough mana to keep Heighten Senses up and chaining Double Strikes.

This setup is a nice blend of offense (120 anatomy, Counter Attack, etc.) and defense (fast and unblockable Chiv spells, 52% parry, etc.).

So I spent a fair amount of time and a ton of gold… actually multiple plats. But I developed my new favorite character to play.
120 swords
120 tactics
120 parry
120 bushido
120 resist
120 chivalry

4/6 FC/FCR 45 HCI 45 DCI 42 LMC
150+ HP
192 Stam
84 Mana

weapons are basically all the same
20+ splintering
50+ Hit Lightning
50+ Mana Leech
50+ Life Leech

only thing I need to do is find the right jewels to increase my DI and SSI a bit.
Did they nerf overbuffing? If you have 70HCI/DCI does it cancel out HLA and HLD?

Anyone want to spar? :)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I spent a fair amount of time and a ton of gold… actually multiple plats. But I developed my new favorite character to play.
120 swords
120 tactics
120 parry
120 bushido
120 resist
120 chivalry

150+ HP
192 Stam
84 Mana

weapons are basically all the same
20+ splintering
50+ Hit Lightning
50+ Mana Leech
50+ Life Leech

only thing I need to do is find the right jewels to increase my DI and SSI a bit.
Did they nerf overbuffing? If you have 70HCI/DCI does it cancel out HLA and HLD?

Anyone want to spar? :)
This must be a pvp build based on the weapons

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
120 swords
120 tactics
120 parry
120 bushido
120 resist
120 chivalry
This build used to be called the Dragoon, basically a sampire without Necro. Super effective fighter, arguably one of best builds in game and cross effective for PVP and PVM.

150+ HP
192 Stam
84 Mana

Would be curious to see your suit if you've spent multiple plats. Assuming you already have jewels if you got to 4/6 FC-FCR. If purpose is PVP, you don't necessarily need DI to be all that high, depending on what you're already hitting at.

Great share!

This build used to be called the Dragoon, basically a sampire without Necro. Super effective fighter, arguably one of best builds in game and cross effective for PVP and PVM.

Would be curious to see your suit if you've spent multiple plats. Assuming you already have jewels if you got to 4/6 FC-FCR. If purpose is PVP, you don't necessarily need DI to be all that high, depending on what you're already hitting at.

Great share!
Happy to meet in game and show you pieces but I can tell you I use;
Balron Bone Armor
Archlich Arms
Kahl Ankur mask
10 HCI earrings
Serpent skin quiver
Divinum Luminos talisman
10 HCI boots
Legs/arms/gloves are basically;
5+ HP inc
8+ stam inc