• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Overcapped skills

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there -

I remember that if you had pets that would come with overcapped skills like greater dragons, you would face a 10% reduction of the skill cap on taiming. So a greater that would come with 130 wrestling as a wild would have a new skill cap of 117 wrestling as a pet. The skill would be even lower when tamed, but you could train it up to this new cap again.

Was this changed with new pet training? I have a freshly tamed lesser hiryu with 103 wrestling skill that should gain wrestling to the new cap, but it doesn't seem to be able to gain wrestling. Do I have to feed a 110 scroll to him to make him gain?

Regards, Fizzle

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Hi there -

I remember that if you had pets that would come with overcapped skills like greater dragons, you would face a 10% reduction of the skill cap on taiming. So a greater that would come with 130 wrestling as a wild would have a new skill cap of 117 wrestling as a pet. The skill would be even lower when tamed, but you could train it up to this new cap again.

Was this changed with new pet training? I have a freshly tamed lesser hiryu with 103 wrestling skill that should gain wrestling to the new cap, but it doesn't seem to be able to gain wrestling. Do I have to feed a 110 scroll to him to make him gain?

Regards, Fizzle
It still works as you described in your first paragraph. If you use animal lore on the pet it will show you what the cap is. Gaining wrestling over 100 skill can be slow, you need to make it fight things that have similar wrestling skill.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Eh? When we tame a Lesser Hiryu, their wrestling IS at the new cap. Are you sure the 103 is not the new cap after taming?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Any pet will suffer a 10% skill loss. Using your lesser for a couple of examples might help here. Let’s say your lesser was “born” with 103 wrestling, you come along and tame, after taming your lesser will have 92.7 wrestling. The cap in this case will be 100, so the lore page will show 92.7/100.
Now let’s say your lesser was “born” with 114.5, you again come along and tame, after taming your lesser will now have 103 wrestling. The cap in this case will be 103 and the lore page will show 103/103.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thx ppl, it's really 103,1/103,1 therefore it has already been trained up! My fault, thx for clearing things up for me!

Regards, Fizzle

SouthPaw

Lore Master
thx ppl, it's really 103,1/103,1 therefore it has already been trained up! My fault, thx for clearing things up for me!

Regards, Fizzle
So to be clear, at this point you will need to use a scroll to raise the cap and then skill it up.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, to go over 103.1 you'd need to use a 105 or better scroll - but can train up to 103.1 without having to use a scroll.

Of course, some skills are a bit wonky (healing and chivalry), and require having the pet subject to disco in order to gain above a point where they'd normally not be able to get a gain.