• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Over Priced Pet Supplies......

G

TSO has so over priced pet supplies stores are not buying them. When a dog has to have a bath, why why have they been so highly priced to buy???? Over 4k for a bath, this is crazy. What are you people thinking????? Now tell me is it fun to work like crazy for a dog dish that cost 2k. Come on is that how much you paid for yours dog dish in real life? No, of course not, then why would you price it so high in the game? This is to be fun right???? Well, as long as the prices are so darn high it rather puts an end to pet sales. Is that the plan?

G

If you want to buy it, then make sure you tell everyone to sell away (delete from city) as many pet baths..

It's not devs fault, it's ours, the more the object exist IN GAME, the more expensive the object becomes, AND Vice Versa, the LESS object in game, the LESS the price.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you want to buy it, then make sure you tell everyone to sell away (delete from city) as many pet baths..

It's not devs fault, it's ours, the more the object exist IN GAME, the more expensive the object becomes, AND Vice Versa, the LESS object in game, the LESS the price.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get real.

C

Chidad

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that sound backwards to anyone...

isn't supply and demand.. the more there are means lower prices and the less there are the higher the price

N

NightFlyer

It's all a moot point when the Devs control everything manually.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly where did you get that information? I read it here in the forum and just because its posted here doesn't make it fact. We all have our opinions and IMO I think that high prices and low payouts lead more avatars to the ATM's.

G

Immediatly leave this area please. You are way to smart to post in these forums.

G

I went to every store I could find open looking for a litter box... not a single litter box to be found. The prices are outrageous in catalog, and no one is stocking because of it. It has nothing to do with us hording litter boxes, unless.... Donavan, you sitting on a gazillion of them?

I seriously hope that he whole turns the dials realizes how screwed up things are in game real soon.

F

festrmentmagnet

I was thinking that prices were high, not because of 'hoarding', but because there are so many of them.

From people just having them for their own use and what-not.

I could be wrong.

F

festrmentmagnet

Also, this supply and demand thing...
Does that mean people are still buying turkeys, because turkeys are up to like 53 dollars.

G

Can someone guarantee that if everyone that was selling/hoarding anything that can be found in the catalogue deleted it/them that the prices would go down? Unless we can get it in avatar writing then I don't see anyone taking the chance to do that.

G

I'd have to agree that it is for the ATM's. It helps the company make a profit each time we use it and we only use it when we need money for expensive stuff.

J

JesseLeeIt'sME

I had a heck of a time finding a litter box. NO ONE had any and then said they could special order them for 10K. I was thinking WHY the heck sell the animals if the needs are more expensive??? Thats ********. Its going to make everyone not buy pets.

G

I agree, prices are absurd. I don't even bother opening my shop.

I do have a litterbox for sale at my shop though, if you still need one. Reasonably priced, even (less than 300). If they said they would special order one for 10k, WOW they were looking for profit. With my current discount, it would cost me 3852 whatchamacallits to buy one o_O

Edit: Typos in the morning

H

HoTDeViL

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly where did you get that information? I read it here in the forum and just because its posted here doesn't make it fact. We all have our opinions and IMO I think that high prices and low payouts lead more avatars to the ATM's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in EA-Land before the first city merged when pets were 1500 per crate. with every merge the prices went up. we was been up already to 185k as retail for a dog. i for myself opened all merged pet carriers and only kept the rares in them. deleted all other on the next day pet prices were down already again to 56k. now after all cities are merged the prices went up again.

ask around which items people brought with the merges and you will see. the answer will be: black pianos, craftbenches, pizzatables and other money making items, pets and petsupplies.

S

SugarCane

<blockquote><hr>

Immediatly leave this area please. You are way to smart to post in these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it's the pet baths.
It's the whole categories (right now "Pets and pet objects" and "Skill and job objects" categories).

I also don't see how the Pet category is gonna go down any time soon.
People in BF sat for hours and did pet pulls just before they shut down BF prior to the merge, so they are sat with thousands of dog/cat crates.

Since it's so hard to earn money now, everyone hoards them waiting for a time when they can sell them...
But at this rate that time will never come.

Devs should fix the categories manually if it goes on for too long.
Or better yet, fix it so only the item that is too abundant in the world gets a horrible price, not the whole category.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the whole categories (right now "Pets and pet objects" and "Skill and job objects" categories).

People in BF sat for hours and did pet pulls just before they shut down BF prior to the merge, so they are sat with thousands of dog/cat crates.

Since it's so hard to earn money now, everyone hoards them waiting for a time when they can sell them...

Or better yet, fix it so only the item that is too abundant in the world gets a horrible price, not the whole category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why in the world would people delete items that are so overpriced in the catalogue that people can't afford them? Is this really how the supply and demand dynamic pricing works in the game? The more items in the game the more it costs? If this is true then I guess I will just go back to offline games and spend my money there. This gives a great advantage to players that have been playing for a long time and already have these items. How long do you think players will be in the game if they have to buy a black piano or pizza table at 99,999? Not long that is for sure.

Could someone please point us in the right direction for an explanation on dynamic pricing because I can't imagine that it is how it is being explained in this thread.

C

Camile

Your point is a good one, but has only one fatal flaw. I don't think ppl are hoarding pet beds and baths from the old production cities. I think most people HAD a pet or two, rare or not, and the items they needed. The idea that out of the "goodness of their hearts" they are going to delete their pet supplies in order of some "hope" that enough will do it to lower the prices on pet items is decidedly moot. Its not going to happen. Believe me, if hoarding was the issue, you would see the stores flooded with pet supplies at a price lower than the current catalog, with store owners making a profit without charging 4k for a litterbox.
It is sad, but right now, it takes about 10k to outfit a pet you can buy for 2 or 3 hundred bucks, or ebucks or whatever they are ultimately called.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I went to every store I could find open looking for a litter box... not a single litter box to be found. The prices are outrageous in catalog, and no one is stocking because of it. It has nothing to do with us hording litter boxes, unless.... Donavan, you sitting on a gazillion of them?

I seriously hope that he whole turns the dials realizes how screwed up things are in game real soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
*Shudders at that image.*

No, I'm not - what I have is a gazillion cats that I can't sell because I wasn't smart enuff to bring supplies with me. (They were dirt cheap in EALand at the time AV closed).

G

Just to remind everyone for the 4,345,834th time.............
Automatic dynamic pricing is NOT............. NOT........... NOT in the game yet.
All pricing is done manually on the dev's decision.

G

Oh, was looking to find any info on it, damn hard to find anything anywhere.
Then they upped it manually because of the exploits?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Oh, was looking to find any info on it, damn hard to find anything anywhere.
Then they upped it manually because of the exploits?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not exploits - botting.
For some reason known only to the devs, they believe that cutting the throats of the regular players is going to make the botters bleed.

G

The reason payouts are low is to show the botters that there is no way to make money at the game so they move on, but there are other ways to handle things than simply destroying payouts for everyone. I understand why they do it, but games like Runescape have almost completely eliminated botting while still allowing their players to make money off their skills.

I do not, though, believe that the point of all this is to make us use the ATM's. That's absurd, because the game would die. The man heading the project has been with EA for 20 years and insists payouts will rise again. do you really think they'd put an experienced team on this game if they just wanted to make cash for a few months and fail?

It all comes down to riding it out, waiting until they figure out proper security measures so prices can be raised. According to the interview I read yesterday they are working hard on this problem, and I believe that EA wants to make this game a better alternative to Second Life, so even though things are bad now, I have no doubt at all that they will get better

24 Jolly's

Why are the building costs so high????? That is not anything anyone brought with them!!!!

G

(In reply to Donavan)

Oh, but there is nothing at all in the pet category that botters would want to buy. How can increasing the cost of everything in that category be detrimental to the botters?
Job object category I might understand, but there's plenty of stores selling used pizza machines anyway so it shouldn't set the botters back very much.

What's your source?

G

<blockquote><hr>

(In reply to Donavan)

Oh, but there is nothing at all in the pet category that botters would want to buy. How can increasing the cost of everything in that category be detrimental to the botters?
Job object category I might understand, but there's plenty of stores selling used pizza machines anyway so it shouldn't set the botters back very much.

What's your source?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not one who believes that - it's the devs who believe it, and they are in charge of ALL the buttons.

I

imported_remflyer

I really do not understand the catalog prices. Here is a sample of the prices this morning on pet supplies for those who do not own a store.
red food bowl $2,471
gold food bowl $15,439
kitty litter box $7,085
pet tub $8,346
scratching post $7,669
I have four cats in rl and am sure glad I don't have to pay these prices! I am also very happy my avatar does not have to buy kitty litter for those boxes.

If we could buy cheaper CC pet supplies it would be different. This basically puts pet stores out of business unless they have bought with them a huge pile of pet supplies from the production cities. I don't see how this balances the economy and it most definately unbalances the rest of our game play. How is a new player going to enjoy having a pet in game? It is another negative. Another fun thing taken away from our game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It all comes down to riding it out, waiting until they figure out proper security measures so prices can be raised. According to the interview I read yesterday they are working hard on this problem, and I believe that EA wants to make this game a better alternative to Second Life, so even though things are bad now, I have no doubt at all that they will get better

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all well and good, but at some point thay have to apply the brakes before the game goes over the cliff.
"Patience" is a 'sometimes' thing. In my experience (especially with games and the whole "instant gratification" mindset), if the player can't get satisfaction here, they will go where they can.
EALand is on shaky enuff ground as it is, and the game candy is not going to keep us in line forever - players want "game".

N

NightFlyer

"The reason payouts are low is to show the botters that there is no way to make money at the game so they move on "...

..."It all comes down to riding it out, waiting until they figure out proper security measures ..."

We have been riding it out for over 5 years now.

Seems they could come up with something effective on botting in 5 years. So far this has not been the case. I have little faith at this point they ever will.

G

You haven't been riding it out for 5 years, you've only been riding it out as long as the game has been EA Land. Before that, there was not much being done and they freely admit that.

Alot of people will quit because of these problems if they aren't solved soon, but its not the Devs being lazy or a case of them wanting to suck cash from us. Its simply a matter of alot of work needing to be done to the infrastructure before the game itself can really be tackled well. Its unfortunate. As long as EA is willing to weather the storm, the game will stay open regardless. I use the example of runescape again, where their changes to combat cheating lost them alot of players, and they have simply weathered it until the influx of new players makes up for it.

N

NightFlyer

"You haven't been riding it out for 5 years, you've only been riding it out as long as the game has been EA Land. Before that, there was not much being done and they freely admit that."...

Still and all they supposedly have been fighting the botting plague since just out of the origianl beta testing so I stand on my statement.

Other games have combatted this problem effectively EA should be able to handle it. Obviously they are choosing to handle it in some way that just hurts the honest player AGAIN. As always.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Automatic dynamic pricing is NOT............. NOT........... NOT in the game yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to address this comment. Today I spoke to Lee about this because I wanted to verify the validity of your statement. This is a topic I have discussed with him many times over the last 6-8 months.

He told me today that dynamic pricing has in fact been implemented and it is automatic. The more of an item in the world the more it costs, the less the less it costs. Players with huge inventories should be selling under catalog prices. If items were deleted it would bring the catalog prices down, but since there is so much it would take a large concerted effort of the players to make a difference.

Should the players do this? I have to say no, unless everyone did it, which I dont see happening. We have to sell the merged inventories to each other and forget the catalog. Have an item you dont want anymore? Sell to a 2nd hand store or open a 2nd hand store. These were very popular in TC3 before EAL opened.

The way I see it is EA doesnt care how much we merged with, they want out of the catalog business so a player to player economy is the driving force.

So there you have it.

L

legscroft

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, if it's truly dynamic it should be based on per item, not per category.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to address this comment. Today I spoke to Lee about this because I wanted to verify the validity of your statement. This is a topic I have discussed with him many times over the last 6-8 months.

He told me today that dynamic pricing has in fact been implemented and it is automatic. The more of an item in the world the more it costs, the less the less it costs. Players with huge inventories should be selling under catalog prices. If items were deleted it would bring the catalog prices down, but since there is so much it would take a large concerted effort of the players to make a difference.

Should the players do this? I have to say no, unless everyone did it, which I dont see happening. We have to sell the merged inventories to each other and forget the catalog. Have an item you dont want anymore? Sell to a 2nd hand store or open a 2nd hand store. These were very popular in TC3 before EAL opened.

The way I see it is EA doesnt care how much we merged with, they want out of the catalog business so a player to player economy is the driving force.

So there you have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet, it is no different from when they were doing it manually.
This little piece of info could have gone a long way toward calming the waters here on Stratics. Did he give any indication as to why they didn't let us know this had changed?

I said in another thread that if it was, in fact, automatic - it was the worst economic algorithm ever.
I was joking at the time, little knowing how close to the truth I was.

Thanks, Niki, for finally putting this question to rest.

G

I believe this was implemented before EAL opened, back in TC3. I'm sure I recall discussing it with Sarah in the Pub. True the devs could have stopped in here and made a base statement about it, would have been nice. I knew about it but I hesitate to discuss things the devs tell me unless I get the official go ahead. It saves my skin when things change.

N

NightFlyer

That's all well and good Nikki but it doesn't explain everything.

Take turkeys, for example, which have gone up in price from $8 each to the current rate of $52. YES $52!

We can't hoard turkeys (ok we could but I doubt many sims are holding 20 turkeys or more in thier inventory), can't sell turkeys (they go bad soon after setting out and can't be priced for sale), can't trade turkeys (untradeable between sims) and they are depleted immediately after purchasing. (by sims consuming them).

If what you say is true why is the price of turkey not down instead of up? Better yet maybe Lee can explain this to us.

G

Gonna have to skin you now! Anyone interested in a cc Niki rug? Like the way your avi looks when it uses one teleporter? I hope so.
Thnx for the info.

G

Want to buy a rare turkey? zero wear

Seriously, did the rare turkeys make it through customs? How bout the rotten pumpkins?

G

I have pre-catalog turkeys and pumpkins in my various inventories.

But lets look at the catalog turkey for a minute. When EAL first opened many folks plopped a turkey down because they were cheaper, perhaps the game cant tell the difference between edible and non edible objects, it just knows they were purchased. This is something the devs should consider, maybe we can get Gracie to make note of it in the food prices design on the wiki.

G

I thought about that too. The turkeys are tossed not deleted, however they are no longer in game. I know I bought my share of them. LOL your nasty, you going to eat those? Or you keeping the flies for pets?

N

NightFlyer

Either way, tossed/eaten/deleted they are not ingame so under the current theory they should not be effecting the price as they are.

I also had a "rare" turkey in inventory and it is tradeable. I doubt there are so many ingame to cause this kind of increase in cost. It doesn't make sense and if this is the case we are in some deep trouble regarding pricing for a very very VERY long time!

And not just on turkeys. If it only sees objects purchached and not removed we are in even more trouble!

G

It does see deleted items as no longer existing in the world, but turkeys arent deleted they are ingested, maybe they technically still exist? Just guessing here. Its definitely worth bringing up with the devs.

Nooo I wont be eating my souvenier turkey! I had it gold plated for posterity.

G

Maybe thats why all my sim has done for 5 years is pee blue! Ewww poor thing.

N

NightFlyer

Makes one wonder if salvaged objects fare the same? They are not deleted either.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I believe this was implemented before EAL opened, back in TC3. I'm sure I recall discussing it with Sarah in the Pub. True the devs could have stopped in here and made a base statement about it, would have been nice. I knew about it but I hesitate to discuss things the devs tell me unless I get the official go ahead. It saves my skin when things change.

[/ QUOTE ]
S'okay, I guess - it's not your responsibility to speak for them.

Still - it's sad news in a way. I used to be able to blame the horrible pricing/pay situation on the ham-handedness of the dev in charge of making the change (not knowing the finer points of price adjustments), but now I know there is a seriously flawed system in place they seem to be okay with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Hey wait a minute. They have said many times that dynamic pricing and payouts are linked - but this is what Luc said in the interview:
<blockquote><hr>

Once we’ve been more successful with the bots, we will be able to increase the payout average. The referral program should also play a large role in increasing the income of our players.

[/ QUOTE ]
What an idiot I am! Sure, the implementation of the pricing is automatic, but the calculation is still manual - they just change the modifiers.
In other words - they tell the game what numbers/factors to use to set prices, instead of using pre-determined calculations based on supply &amp; demand, market prices, etc.
It's still "dynamic pricing" of a sort, it just has an extremely low of accuracy.