• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Over 2/3 of the way there--we can Bring Stratics Home!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
WOW! The IndieGoGo campaign is over 2/3 of the way to the goal of $10,500. SIXTY-SEVEN contributors have pledged a total of $7500 toward keeping Stratics in the community and the fanbase.

It’s incredible to see so much of the community band together for the common goal of preserving this site, which so many people have poured so much time and work into over the past eighteen years. We as a community may not always see eye to eye on everything (or anything!), but if nothing else, this campaign has demonstrated that we ARE a community, that we are greater than the sum of our membership, and that we value our little internet home here. I’m proud to be a part of the Stratics and UO communities. You guys are awesome!

But... we aren’t out of the woods yet. In order for the campaign to succeed, it must reach at least the goal amount of $10,500. (As mentioned elsewhere, this isn’t our “top bid”, but what we hope is a safe amount to cover the bid amount, transfer and licensing fees, perk rewards, and other operational expenses.) The auction is currently at $7,550 and will likely go up at least a little more. We’re not there yet... but we’re within sight of the goal.

We need one more strong push to take us over that line. We can do this. Never before has the community HAD the opportunity to take the site back like this, and if we fail now the chance may never come again.

This campaign is more than just an attempt to save the site--it is (we hope!) the foundation of a stronger and better Stratics. We have put our best foot forward, but we can’t make this journey alone. Check out our Q/A and our goals. This is the future we want to share with you. Help us make it a reality. Head over to the Bring Stratics Home IndieGoGo Campaign Site and help Bring Stratics Home. And as always, thank you for your support!

We can do this!

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
We've got this! Seriously who else would want Stratics but us? Keep bidding. The owner ought to just sell it to the community a this point.

Selistrana

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am really dissapointed now. Right now i see what Peoples said in General Channel on Atlantic and some other Shards.

"IF we are able to fully fund the IndieGoGo campaign at $10,500 in the next 3 days (midnight on Dec 23), the staff and our angel contributors have committed to making up the balance to meet the BIN. The auction will end, and we will have succeeded in purchasing the site as a community project.
"

And what happend? Why the Staff here didn't paid the balance to get the Deal done? Ladies & Gentleman you want to stay here as Staff and want to own Stratics but others should pay for it? No sorry but it works not this way.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"IF we are able to fully fund the IndieGoGo campaign at $10,500 in the next 3 days (midnight on Dec 23), the staff and our angel contributors have committed to making up the balance to meet the BIN. The auction will end, and we will have succeeded in purchasing the site as a community project."
what is the Buy It Now? i didn't see any mention of it on the auction site.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are indeed so close. The auction is officially over on Dec. 26. If anyone was holding out until the last moments... we are approaching those moments.

Good luck.
you wont make it ... too little interest thank god.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am really dissapointed now. Right now i see what Peoples said in General Channel on Atlantic and some other Shards.

"IF we are able to fully fund the IndieGoGo campaign at $10,500 in the next 3 days (midnight on Dec 23), the staff and our angel contributors have committed to making up the balance to meet the BIN. The auction will end, and we will have succeeded in purchasing the site as a community project.
"

And what happend? Why the Staff here didn't paid the balance to get the Deal done? Ladies & Gentleman you want to stay here as Staff and want to own Stratics but others should pay for it? No sorry but it works not this way.
Please read that quote more closely. The crowdfund had to be fulfilled at the $10,500 amount in order to meet our agreement with our angel contributors. They were to contribute OVER that amount, not TO it, to meet the BIN price. The BIN was agreed upon between the owner and the campaigning staff, but the deadline was not met in time. I apologize if this was unclear.

There is still the possibility of bidding on the site, but again, the $10,500 campaign goal must be met and THEN the staff and angel contributors will meet the difference. This is because if the $10,500 is NOT met, then the campaign fails and all the money is automatically refunded by IndieGoGo, at which point the staff and angel contributors will not likely be able to meet the full cost.

We are not trying to "own" the site. We are trying to set up a volunteer stewardship of it. The current senior staff will be the first board members, yes, but if and when a member of the board steps down from volunteering, he or she will no longer be a board member.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If the community wants to stay "free" - it should be the COMMUNITY to come up with the crowdfunded amount.

After that, most likely, it will take a bit more to secure the site, all the properties, transfer everything to a more stable hosting solution... then start moving forward.

I looked over those that did contribute - I got curious - and saw a lot of familiar names of present and past staffers. I also see other names that surprise me - but is awesome!

Win or fail... it does show that there are many who understand and believe that things can move forward into the future under the control of your fellow Gamers and not some media mogul or someone wanting to turn Stratics into another ad-bank or RMT site.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is still the possibility of bidding on the site, but again, the $10,500 campaign goal must be met and THEN the staff and angel contributors will meet the difference. This is because if the $10,500 is NOT met, then the campaign fails and all the money is automatically refunded by IndieGoGo, at which point the staff and angel contributors will not likely be able to meet the full cost.
So if the crowdfunding is not successful then Stratics is lost?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No, there is an independent bidder from within the UO community that will own it if that happens. After speaking with them, they have my full support.

**On a side note I think its incredibly slimy to have an unofficial buy out number when there is an auction going one. Especially when it is a semi-private number and only offered to a handful of people. I think it shows the lack of integrity of not only the seller but the staff who was willing to acquire the site that way.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
No, there is an independent bidder from within the UO community that will own it if that happens. After speaking with them, they have my full support.
So long as it doesn't fall into the hands of the corporate-ad-banks or the RMT people, that makes me happy. :)

Mele kalikimaka!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not necessarily, but if the crowdfunding is not successful then the not-for-profit community structure that we are trying to create will be highly unlikely. A single owner or small group of very heavily invested owners will likely want some return on investment, and that need would almost certainly adjust some of the site's priorities. Let me put it this way: the success of the crowdfunding is necessary for us to fulfill the promises we have made to the community in the campaign.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
**On a side note I think its incredibly slimy to have an unofficial buy out number when there is an auction going one. Especially when it is a semi-private number and only offered to a handful of people. I think it shows the lack of integrity of not only the seller but the staff who was willing to acquire the site that way.
Sadly, LT, there are a lot of unfortunate practices that Flippa "allows" and frankly, is set up to encourage. "We" (the staff and community) have no control over it. We *could* stand on principle and instead allow those offers to be shopped to other buyers I suppose, and simply step aside to let it happen. We chose instead to step up to the plate and offer to add our personal funds to the community's contributions to try to be competitive with the investors -- in the name of the greater good. We're sorry if you think that was the wrong choice, but we believe our responsibility is to those who have so generously placed their trust and confidence in us.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all -- and be assured we continue to work in the background and do everything within our power to secure the site on the community's behalf. We can do this!

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Smells like conspiracy in here ;)
Indeed...an incredibly heart-warming community conspiracy that has now generated $9,262 -- or MORE than the current HIGH BID for Stratics! Wow...we are now 88% funded!!!

We still need to hit $10,500 to reach our minimum goal for the campaign though, so we can bid on the auction -- so let's not stop here, when we're so close! Help us close the gap so we're prepared to beat the last-minute investors and bidders who might still be willing to buy the site out from under the community -- despite our clear desire for Stratics Home Rule! ;-)

Almost there...almost....there.....

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current high bid is now 10,100 dollars. :( . Come on Statics better kick it into high gear. Plus you still have to watch out for last minute snipers. I'm an old, old ebayer, snipers suck so you better be ready cause they'll slam it with 2 minutes or less left into the auction. Unless this is one of those that does not allow bidding in the last 5 min.

I'm sweating, guys.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
The current high bid is now 10,100 dollars. :( . Come on Statics better kick it into high gear. Plus you still have to watch out for last minute snipers. I'm an old, old ebayer, snipers suck so you better be ready cause they'll slam it with 2 minutes or less left into the auction. Unless this is one of those that does not allow bidding in the last 5 min.

I'm sweating, guys.
The last hours are likely to be tense, we agree. Hopefully the community will be watching as closely as we will be; while we can cover a certain "gap" in funding above the Indie campaign's minimum goal, the more we get in community funding, the more leeway we have once we've added our private and "angel" contributions.

Re: Flippa -- if a bid comes in in the last hour, the auction automatically extends an hour. So please, everyone...keep your eyes here on Stratics for updates as we will all be thinking on our feet if there is indeed a last-minute "bidding war."