• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Our Community.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
To preface the upcoming rambling monologue... This only reflects my opinions and mine alone.

Community has several definitions. UO and Stratics both count as communities, an intertwined social group as it were. Some folks here have known of each other for almost two decades. There are some wonderful stories of folks meeting in and out of game. I have several tales of my own... *chuckles*

Our generation, the folks that came of age with the computer, explored some interesting online territories... The internet was new again everyday. Something happens somewhere and we know about it like that! That was on dial up too!

The world was changing! Chat rooms! o_O Cyber was a thing! :next: a whole bunch of other stuff...;)

New communities were springing up everywhere! IRC,AOL and a host of other options! The boundaries were pushed every step of the way. Seems you could kinda be whomever you wanted to be on the internet.

I find it interesting as to what kind of persona some folks put on. Not role playing mind you... The self that is presented as you. Some will say it is who they are in real life. OK. There is an extra filter here, you can choose not to hit enter. *wishes for that in real life sometimes*

Heroes and Villains... (or somewhere inbetween) :eyes:

We all choose the things that make us happy in this community and pursue those things. Whether it be the most horrible Dread Lord in game or merely a pathetic troll, you could! You could choose to be Noble and Generous Lord or a Treasure Hoarding Miser. All that and more... or less.

I have been reflecting on these thoughts since I first heard of whiterabbit's passing. That is the only name I really knew him as. I never played Chessy. I did interact with him some on the forums... Cheeky lil goblin. A persona that some clever, creative and adventurous soul put together for not only his amusement, but for all around to enjoy.

His spirit even shined through the gloom and doom of UHall. That is a choice. Ozog Giantfart decided to follow a muse that very few adhere to today. He knew who he was and stayed true to form. Even when he went OOC... *smiles*

I will miss him.

The Community is smaller.