• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: When the hell.....

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I'm sitting here at work, listening to a few nearby girls gossip about celebrities, and instead of chiming in with my faked opinion while trying to keep my eyes focused on socially acceptable areas, all I can do is cradle my head in my hands trying to stop from hurling an empty pop can at them while screaming "Stop sharing your immature, useless opinions on how celebrities define your life!"

So... When'd I get old?

P

Phish Phan

You didn't get old, people just become more shallow and impressionable as time goes by. I feel the same way on almost a daily basis. (I'm 21)

People who can't think for themselves and form their own opinions on things and themselves really anger me

But hey, I guess it's less work to let television and the media determine your place in the world, right?

G

<blockquote><hr>

But hey, I guess it's less work to let television and the media determine your place in the world, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right!!! That's why I am moving on up to a deluxe apartment!! hee hee

@ Wulf - I agree with Phish ~ You didnt get old, people are just getting more and more sheep-like every day. (This should make Kelmo happy at least)

M

marichessy

There is a big difference between growing OLD and growing UP. Unfortunately, the latter never happens for some people. =/

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

...hurling an empty pop can at them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wulf said pop, lol! From the upper mid-west are ya?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I'm pretty sure I haven't grown up, either.

At least, that's what your mom said last night.

See?

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

There is a big difference between growing OLD and growing UP. Unfortunately, the latter never happens for some people. =/

[/ QUOTE ]
Watch it!!

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

From the upper mid-west are ya?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that what you guys are calling Canada these days?

K

kyrie_m

<blockquote><hr>

So, I'm sitting here at work, listening to a few nearby girls gossip about celebrities, and instead of chiming in with my faked opinion while trying to keep my eyes focused on socially acceptable areas, all I can do is cradle my head in my hands trying to stop from hurling an empty pop can at them while screaming "Stop sharing your immature, useless opinions on how celebrities define your life!"

So... When'd I get old?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not age related.

There was a time when I stopped eating lunch with the people at work. Part of it was to skip it and get out of here a half hour early. The other part was that I ended up stairing at the wall while the women in the lunch room had their discussions. I was in my mid-twenties at the time, and the women were all in their late forties and early fifties.

I just honestly didn't give a flying funk about the new style of purse they all had seen at macy's or the new cut of shirts that their teenage daughters were wearing. I didn't care to hear about their shopping purchases, what wedding dresses were coming into style that year or what was going on with Brad Pitt. Granted, they were all wonderful, kind, considerate people, but we just did't have much in common.

It really isn't an age issue. When I was in junior high, for instance, I had a best friend that was really into what models were big. SHe would buy fashion magazines and consume herself with that vision of beauty. I thought it was ridiculous at thirteen, and I do still at thirty.

It does seem that our society seems to be cheapened each year as media continues to "dumb us down", creating challenged youngsters who know more about Tyra Banks than they do about Eleanor Roosevelt or Nelson Mandela, and think using bad grammar is cool and acceptable because they watch too many rap videos and listen to songs with lyrics like "can you pay my automobills"?

K

kyrie_m

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Rad
I don't know what that is, but it's love.

It reminds me of this other vision of greatness

G

The cover of a magazine at the grocery store stated that Angelina won't marry Brad, and its been eating at me all day... I mean, just who is she saving herself for? It's Brad Pitt for Pete's sake! I'm just not sure I can face another day knowing their relationship is in trouble. I also wonder what Bruce Willis thinks about the war in Iraq, I'm just not sure how to feel about all this.

K

Kemo/Dras

Py. Ummm I think the island did something to you.. I mean ummm.. Py?? Is that realy you? *pokes with a stick* *pokes him again with that stick* Forget it nevermind.... Hes dead people Everyone just turn and look the other way while we fix this Problem! I can't believe it hes dead from the inside. Give me a TV Guide Stat we have to revive him... *gets handed a tv Guide, And begins reading to him* ITs not working! I need the Enquirer the Star and umm 17 and a lot of bubble gum. "what do you plan to do?" Asks an onlooker. "I Intend to smother him with all TV and actor hype to try and pull him out of this stupor." I say. "But But But that might kill him" the onlooker says. I reply "But hes already dead." The onlooker nods his heas and quickly grabs the requested goods. "I start babbeling out all the articles as quickly as I can to the dying lord Lethius." Gimmie some GUM STAT I need something to chew! The onlooker pass's me the gum.

*2 hours pass and All the mindless material had been read to lord Lethius.* My mouth had gotten tired of mindless babbeling about stupid stuff only kids should have to read and not even them! *Py starts to come to life as the last of it had been completed.* WE SAVED him I exclaimed. Then He again started talking about the Survivor and what actors and actress's should get together and stay together. I look to the onlooker and say Forget it he truely is a lost cause. The onlooker nods his head Takes out a cross bow and shoots Py in the heart. I say now what the bloody hell was that for? Anyone who lives there life like that deserves to die. He replied. I draw my sword and whap off the onlookers head and remove the Bolt in Py's heart. Bahhh You will die soon enough liven up to that garbage!

-Ikey Ikey Kemo

T

Timothy_SP

<blockquote><hr>

So... When'd I get old?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's the continued "dumbing down" of the couch potato’s of the day. TV shows used to be great. Reality TV, horrible game shows, and American Idol have ruined, what once was a great entertainment medium, cable television.

The “Oh my god did you hear who got booted off the island” or “I can’t believe ‘So-and-so’ was voted off American Idol last night” are become common place and the work place. I don’t want to sound sexist, but it mostly females that have been sucked in to this crappy TV aimed at the mindless masses. Go figure. :/

Sadly I don’t see an end in sight for these poorly designed TV shows. I guess that is why I only watch TLC, ESPN, Speed, Discovery, Comedy Central, HBO, and a few select shows that are actually good. (Ie. Family Guy, Rescue Me, Becker) It's only a matter of time before those shows are pushed off the air like Jake 2.0 and Enterprise were. Why you ask? So they could make room for crappier programming. If you are half way intelligent, don’t bother watching broadcast TV, there is nothing aimed at you mental level.

G

*gasps for air*

Thanks Kemo, I am myself again... but I will be scarred for life... by accident I watched 15 straight minutes of Access Hollywood enslaved to the lurid promise of bikini-clad ninnies bouncing across my screen in some swimsuit photo-shoot, abusing my primal male chemical reactions to get me to sit through commercials for soap and hamburgers... and this is what happened... it was horrible... .. I still hear tidbits of gossip when I close my eyes.. who is Renee Zellwigger dating? Why did that guy with the chin add a cleft to it, and how much did he pay for it? Why am I aware of these pointless questions? Who put them in my mind?? .. I curse the amorphous monster that is the american media culture for invading every orifice of our society with its vulgar and pointless, neverending stream of useless fodder to sustain and distract the masses of vegetating minds... the horror... oh.. the horror....

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I curse the amorphous...american...for invading every orifice...with its vulgar...neverending stream...

[/ QUOTE ]
Years of watching TV has left me with an attention span somewhere between 0.5 and 2 seconds.

It does have its perks though.

G

This was a while back, but it kind of stuck with me. I was at Dave and Busters harmlessly enjoying my tasty beverage, and some white ex sorority chick comes in and sits down at the table witih her other white chick ex SB friends and says 'Whats up, my ni**as?" loud enough for Malcolm X to try to sit up and crack his skull on the inside lid of his coffin. There's just too many things wrong with her saying that to list.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I curse the amor..ous...american...for invading every orifice...with its vulgar...neverending stream...

[/ QUOTE ]
Years of watching ...

..does have its perks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your remote is sticky.

G

Well, me personally I keep up with celebrity gossip by reading thesuperficial.com. Which pretty much mocks celebrities, and gives me something to read while doing boring stuff on the other side of my screen. It's a pretty funny site except for the comments, which are pretty annoying for the most part, so just skip those.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I be...sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate telling people this, but your infatuation with me has to stop. It will never lead to anything real. Sure, I could lie to you, string you along to get free drinks/gifts/exotic underpants, but then I'd be no better than Gonthrax. Well, I'd still be smarter, more attractive, etc, but that's not the point.

The point is that, whatever you're feeling, and however much it may hurt you to hear me say this, it's only temporary.

Also, I'm out of your league.

K

kyrie_m

<blockquote><hr>

Well, me personally I keep up with celebrity gossip by reading thesuperficial.com. Which pretty much mocks celebrities, and gives me something to read while doing boring stuff on the other side of my screen. It's a pretty funny site except for the comments, which are pretty annoying for the most part, so just skip those.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, one can't go to the grocery store these days without Lindsey Lohan's eating disorder shoved into their face by twenty tabloid covers at the check out. It's amazing how much effort is put into getting this information out there, as opposed to something like, I don't know, real news. By "real news" I don't mean the sensationalistic network nightly news either.

Yesterday I was listening to a show I listen to each week that is hosted by a woman who is both a m.d. and ph.d.. The topic was drama addiction and how some people have a need to create drama around them because their brains are lacking stimulation. The lack of stimulation can cause depression so people look to stir things up around them to keep things exciting. She also brought up tabloids as a source of this stimulation. It was interesting to hear and very relevant to this topic.

Actually, I think that it could be, for many people, focusing on this outer-world nonsense is much easier than confronting the real and troubling issues they carry within themselves. It might be easier to invest their energy on an american idol hopefull that to deal with the life that goes on around them. Just a thought.

G

I've thought for a long time that people create drama and get interested in it to alleviate boredom from their own lives. It's something I've seen from being on IRC for years and reading messageboards. It can actually be a group trend, with the right group of people encouraging the drama on, even if they are on opposing sides.

It can lead to both fragmentation and solidarity of smaller groups within the whole of the community, and can usually be referenced easily, by some title that only serves to illuminate how trivial the whole incident was, or at least is trivial to anyone not biased by the incident. Like my friend has an incident that lead to group splintering and a friendship breaking up called 'the mayo thing', where one person said in their private livejournal that so and so couldn't really want to lose weight if they kept eating stuff with mayo on it (or something equally stupid.)

Sometimes it's simply personality conflicts, where the intelligent thing to do would be to avoid talking to or about the person who is irritating. But quite often the opposite happens, as some people choose sides, some people try to be on both sides, some people revel in watching it happen, and some people try to avoid the whole mess. So it eventually escalates as incidents, that would normally be small on their own, pile onto the heap of indignation and fury and build up a nice big grudge match.

As far as the celebrity/famous person fixation, I think that people see their movies and read about them and like to think they know them. They like it when bad things happen to the celebs they don't like, and good things happen to the ones they do. They can sort of live vicariously through others that way, without having to put in any effort that they would have to put into their own lives. Because they can get emotionally involved to a point, but not ever be at any emotional risk themselves. They can gloat when someone who is famous and good looking and wealthy makes an error in judgement that they themselves would not have made - it's a way of feeling better than someone else, just as the media is telling you that they are better than you are. Kind of a tug-of-war game really.

I don't like the american idol thing. Yeah the mean sarah liked it when the bad singers would get railed on, but the truth of the matter is they only let these people through so that they could embarass them on television and garner viewers. A pretty jerky thing to do. I find most reality TV type stuff pretty dull anyways. I like things where they fix up people's homes or cars and you can see the fantabulous job they did, but thats not really the same thing. Like this one show I saw the other day, where they fixed up this guys 25 year old van, just redid the whole thing. I thought it was a pretty fascinating process. But then again it didn't have anything to do with a bunch of women getting in a cat fight to win a guy they think is a millionaire.

But I digress.

G

I very rarely watch any television, and when I do, it is even rarer that I watch "mainstream" television. I think that the "reality" and "game" shows that are churned out in droves today are simply modern media, slightly sanitized versions of the old Roman Gladiator sports. The "bloodthirst" of the audience is merely tuned more towards personal humiliation, rather than the tearing of flesh, and breaking of bones, although they do offer some of that in the Fear Factor, and garbage like that.

-Skylark

G

I watch sci fi shows, and movies off cable. I try to never see a commercial, if I can help it. Every once in a while we eat while watching TV and just find something that is on. I just don't watch regular TV shows much anymore, I got out of that whole sitcom thing a while back and I really don't even know whats out there anymore, or care.

I don't think I'm some kind of TV snob or anything, I just have a short attention span and am so used to the internet where you can open up a new browser window of something interesting while doing something that is boring, to be able to sit and watch commercials for 3 minutes. I really hate commercials.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I try to never see a commercial, if I can help it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I do, rarely, watch the tube, I actually feel like I am being assaulted by commercials. I usually mute them and do something else just checking occasionally to see if they are done. They are just so loud and obnoxious and invasive, the volume so much higher than the regular show volume... plus, being a Canadian, you sort of feel this .. encroaching monster of US merchandising, filling our heads with jingles and boob shots and images of fatty snack foods. How can anyone think clearly with all that junk assaulting their senses I don't know. Maybe I just can't filter it out like others can, but I avoid it as much as I possibly can short of living in a cave in the mountains.

panem et circenses, I guess.

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

filling our heads with jingles and boob shots and images of fatty snack foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the girls on my team walked in to my office while I was eating a Lil Debbie's Nutty Bar... She's Canadian by the way... she goes "You American's and your junk food". My mouth was full so I just offered her one. She ate it and her eyes widened in delight at the peanut butter and chocolate ecstasy.

I asked her if they had Little Debbie's there.. she said "Yes but, I never had one before"

I shrugged and went "Well... they're better than sex and not near as messy".

She brought a box of Oatmeal Creme Pies in the next day.

G

Nothing says "go team" like tossing a Zagnut at your buddy to increase their intake of fat and sugar. *high five*