• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: What's your favorite Halloween loot? What's the worst?

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

I love getting anything with caramel in it. Small chocolate bars are cool, too. :)

My least favorite is the scads of semi-stale, rock-hard Tootsie Roll midgets that we get every year (I think they multiply in the dark)...oh, and bubble gum. :p

What I hand out every year is small assorted bags of chips (Doritos, Fritos, Cheet-os and so forth--I let the kids take their own pick) or bags of Planter's nuts. Everyone seems to like a touch of salt to cut all the candy with.

P

Peaches

My diet won't allow me these special items, but chocolate would be my the first one I would take a bite out of. The worst? An apple

Heh

Happy Halloween!

B

Brothers_Grog

It has been about 45 years since I trick-or-treated. But I remember I loved getting nickel candy bars (the 75 cent ones now). I really hated getting apples, popcorn balls and pennies.

On a side note. Holloween night will find me at work in the fuel station booth at the store where I work (I requested this night). I have carved a pumpkin that a customer gave me (happy face!) and I bought 2 bags of Holloween fruit snacks to give the children who are sent to pay for the gas by a parent. I may be older and the madmen have tried their hardest to ruin Holloween, but I persist.

A

A_Fish

Diet!!!!

That sux. Glad a have an uber metabolism and can eat anything andd do absolutly nothing and never get fat. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I like to get beer and cigerettes! Thats what they give out at WVU. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

In terms of candy i like any kind of chocolate, and hate skittles.

P

psychopathII

Well I am too old to trick or treat but I would have to say laffy taffy owns all.

P

Peaches

I use to be that way, til old age crept in. Only have five more pounds to lose and I will be at my ideal weight. Then I can ATTEMPT to maintain it. Heh

R

Rexor_Steelforge

Milk Duds are the best.

Stupid little plastic toys are the worst. Got plastic vomit one year. That actually wasn't so bad. I glued it to thier door.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Good for you! *grins*

I dunno about where you are, but here it isn't the madmen that have tried to ruin it...it's the politically-correct yahoos that are trying to do away with it. Yeesh...the kids are not allowed to wear costumes to school on Halloween day anymore, because someone might be upset...*rolls eyes*

So...I just have to work a little harder, to offset that blandness. :)

*goes to haul coffin and skeletons out of the garage*

G

My favorite loot is the mini twizzlers.....the worst loot i ever got was a pack of batteries....don't ask.....

J

jat

My favorite has to be Hershey's Chocolate...anything with that on or in it and I'm a happy camper! The worst would be those hard candies. I love handing out candy at the door, dressed up as a witch!

G

Garaba

Best- Anything that combines chocolate and peanut butter

worst- Religious Pamphlets saying how I am going to hell for celabrating holloween

G

Love any mini chocolate bar. I loathe those stupid peanut butter kisses things. You know the ones wrapped in orange or black waxed paper and they are like an overly sticky tootsy roll? Yuck!!!!!! Who buys those things anyway? I never met a kid who actually liked them. People who give those out should be punished! BTW I'm a mom so I'm not even getting my own candy, I'm talking about the stuff I steal out of my kids' bags once they go to bed.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Oohhh...we've been getting those here for the past couple of years, too! Along with such other Halloween favorites as pencils inscribed with "Jesus loves you", and empty balloons with holy crosses on them...

K

KyberofRoK

Bang on, dude.

Rockets rock.

Those kiss candies suck, I'd rather eat steamy skunk entrails.

I

imported_Grayshadow

It's all about the chocolate... especially Reese's... MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Oh, and Jat? I loves me a sexy witch with the candy /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

S

Sacrosanct

favorite, cracker jacks with prize
remember those orange wax teeth, I hated those cause I couldnt eat them but fun to play with heh

*hands dor apple pie for trick or treat*
*give peaches wax teeth*
happy halloween

Z

Zanazaz

My favorite had to be the little candy bars. Although I did also like the Tootsie Rolls....and candy corn....and...*drools*.......the little wax "bottles" of flavored syrupy stuff. I don't think those are made anymore. But I really hated those freaky wax lips that used to be given out.

Halloween has to be my most favorite of holidays. It's all about fun, no pressure like the big holidays.

Veetvo!

B

Brothers_Grog

"I loathe those stupid peanut butter kisses things. "

I could (and likely still could except for the diabetes) eat those by the hands full. And candy corn! Chocolate of all kinds as long as it was brand name. Sugar pumpkins, witches and skeletons. Marshmallow, nuts, caramel, toffee... If my doctor told me I had a week to live I would die sick as all get out!

I once went from dusk to nearly midnight and came home with a paper grocery sack full of candy. It took a month to get to the stuff I didn't like... but ate anyway. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

D

DemanKnght

SMARTIES!!!!!!!!! Smarties!!!!! Smarties!!!! Smarties!!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!! Smarties!!!

Anything othern then them is kids play baby!!!! Okay maybe Pixie sticks, gotta have sugar in pure form.. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif The wost is a tie between the peanut butter toffee thingies and okld salt water taffy bits. Man how do you ever tell that they are to old.

G

WELL I read everyones post and I LIKE them stupid peanut butter kisses ! HAHA I buy a bag one time a yr in oct. to bring back some distant child hood memories. I also have to get ONE carmel apple with nuts, those special doughnuts mom used to buy us for halloween to eat in the house with cider. NOW back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth I was a kid and did the whole trick or treat thing. Normally we hated getting carmel or red candy apples but we always had a couple of homes where the ladies made em soooo special we all loved to get one. NATCH this was before poisoners or razor blade crazies came to be.

Now on the huge route my brother and I took we KNEW the houses. AND every year those same 3 or 4 ladies literally tossed a house party for every kid in town nearly. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif THEY made really great popcorn balls home made not the store bought junk. THEY made the best ever carmel apples drooling in carmel and nuts and cookies and doughnuts. THEN they slapped regular sized brand name candy bars in our sacks ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif AH those homes we hit every year till the ladies passed on of old age ! One of those homes actually MADE every kid dinner unreal they had a a bbq griller going in the front yard with hot dogs and buns and marshmellows over the fire on sticks for US ALL. UNREAL and candys too. My brother and I had so many goodies each that our candies lasted till nearly Christmas and we saved the worst till last usually ! I wasnt fond of some hard candies but we got those too...saved em till last usually like well they are ok but not a priority to EAT ! LOL Like Yay NOT another batch of lifesavers lol ~! WE did like jawbreakers though ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Favorites were always CHOCOLATE bars of any kinds or sizes, and bubble gum /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif IT was like man if ya got a full sized snickers or hersheys or mars bar and bubble gum TOO ya were in heaven ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif AND the occasional tootsie pop was ok too ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif I didnt mind the wee bags of candy corn cuz I liked those and my brother hated em so I got all of his too. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif He liked milk duds and I didnt so he got all of mine !:) I got the red wax lips and licorises like good and plentys and gave him the smarties etc. lol we had a good trade system going us two. he liked to eat them whatevers kinda like milk duds ..think they were malted milk balls to make his lips all go white like he was DEAD musta been a guy thing, lol I didnt like em.

Now the storebought junk of candy carmel apples popcorn balls were bleh and we tossed em out but we did have them few ladies whom were like gormet chefs for halloween and gotta tell ya we LOVED their goodies that they made ! YUMMY !

When my kids went trick or treating then we had to start being careful and they were not allowed to scarf down a thing till we checked it out cuz kids were dying from razorblades drugs and poison in the treats by then ! Amazing what 20 yrs can do to ruin a fun holiday that used to be relatively safe for children once.
I think Charm blow pops were in back when the kids went and CHOCOLATE natch.

I like to take the day off from work so I can get the door every year for halloween. I used to dress up and all that bs to answer the door but now I mostly just don something orange and black instead. I will be off tomorrow to get the door and I still love seeing wee tots in costume lookin so cute and hopeful of something decent in their treat bags. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif WHEN I get the teenagers I just say GRAB ya a hand ful of whatever if they are not obnoxious. LAST year got some so darn mouthy obnoxious crude, I told em F U LOL and shut the door on em ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif My house my treats they can at least be civilised ! HAHA Course we did find sand in our 4 wheelers engine last year too, we figured it was that one batch! When ya live on the border of two cities two states we KNOW the aliens from MEMPHIS and some are ok but some are just JERKS and way way outta their own neighborhoods ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I also used to love bon fires and hay rides this time of year and kinda miss those hardly anyone holds em any more without charging a fortune to attend em...used to be free once !

D

Dor of Sonoma

Wow, that made me nostalgic. *grins*

I grew up in the country (no sidewalks or street lights, roads instead of streets...you know, country!). In our neighborhood, the tiniest place sat on a minimum of one acre (so as to have room for the horses and chickens), and there was a huuuuge hill on the fringe of it. There was so much distance between houses that, even if we walked as fast as we could (and we were inspired!), we still couldn't hit more than maybe 5 or 6 houses in an hour, tops. The house on top of the hill, for instance, had a driveway that took a goodly 10 minutes to climb straight up from the road. It was killer. (That hill was SO steep that we'd use it all summer to toboggan down, with sheets of cardboard on the dried grass--talk about friction...but I digress)

Everyone there was aware of the WORK entailed to trick-or-treat in that neighborhood...and so, they pulled out all the stops to reward our efforts. Every year, there was one house where they made homemade ice cream for us to sit down and consume when we got there. Very, very cool. There was always a Haunted House to wander through, with double goodies at the end. The house on top of the hill was one of the best. They felt so badly about the enforced climb, that we would be sat down in the livingroom and served hot, spiced cider or hot chocolate, along with freshly-baked goodies and really GOOD caramel apples. They rocked. *grins*

As a result, we rarely made a very good haul, candy-wise...but boy, did we get great treats! Each house was an Event, in and of itself...all decorated with much care and imagination (and little, if any, creepy bloody stuff) They really cared for us kids, and it sure showed. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Lady_Morwen

Okay.... that does it...

*Packs her suitcases and moves to America*

I want chocolate... big piles of yummie chocolate /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

T

Tinnian

The worst by far has to be the old lady who drops 8 or 9 pennies into the loot bag.

M

Marshall_

I'm lucky cause I live in a "low population" area, so I try to give out good loot. Usually it's a treat bag (no pennies) with like 3 candy bars (smaller than the full size bars, bigger than the bite size), a couple suckers (jolly rancher type), and a couple other "on topic" treats. This year each bag also has a spider ring, glow in the dark skull ring, and a piece of gum that looks like an eyeball (individually wrapped naturally) /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif The only problem is some of the kids around here will come back and hit me up a couple of times /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I use to build a cemetary in my front yard that was pretty nice. I put up an iron fence,cemetary sign you entered under, about 15 graves, some of which had creatures crawling out of them. Stuff like that. But each year as I get a little older my set up gets a little more sparse. This year I expect to take som flak from the folks that remember how nice I use to set up my yard /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif But when you only get 50 or 60 kids, it's kinda hard to get fired up with a big yard set up like I use to do.

Remember folks! Always have some nice goodies that AREN'T chocolate. Some kids are allergic to it or have acne problems or something. Nothing worse than to tell a little kid all you stuff has chocolate in it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif I also put my name an address on every bag we hand, out so the parents know we're not trying to poison any kids (sad commentary on modern society). Got one of those address stamps so it's no big deal. Plus I think I give out some nice loot and I want those little *%$@! to know not to egg my house :p

B

Broughton

I love hershey's kisses. Oh, and my wife dressed up as a naughty girl for halloween. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif~

X

Xeria

I love getting anything chocolate and home made popcorn balls. My Mom makes the best...
I will be handing out cans of pop this year. Everyone needs a drink to wash down all those sweets : )

X

Xavier_Arcanus

Candy Corn! Brach's only though.

My least favorite would have to be , Mary Janes(?) I think that's what they're called. They're the ones in the black and orange wrappers that taste like solidified sewage matter with sugar added.

M

Mekere

You are not alone, Queen Zen.
I like those stupid peanut butter kiss things too! I think th ey are called Mary Jane's or something like that. LOL!

But my favoite treat is probably Snickers bars with Milk Duds running a close second. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
I usually confiscate a few of both kinds citing 'questionable appearance' after we get home and I check the kids' candy for safety. Heh!

I HATE those Mallo Cups or anything filled with that icky fake marshmallow stuff.
Blah!

M

Moradin of LS

Chocolate is my favorite. I grew up in the country and we provided well for the trick or treaters. I guess the worst when I was a kid was apples since this time of year we had a couple bushels of them in the root cellar and were tired of eating them.

The worst of all was last year was watching my neighbors send their kids out to trick or treat then calling the children that came to their door evil little beggers and they don't believe in Halloween. I had the joy of teaching the art of trick.

A.Entreri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The loot I hate worst of all on Halloween would hafta be getting a handful of pennies or the ball of popcorn thingy, the best for me is sweet tarts or when the owner of the house just leaves a bucket full of stuff and has a note that says "please take one only" or something to that effect, those are always a free for all.

D

d'Argent

I loooooooooove Halloween Loot. Candy Corn yummm Reeses of any sort YUM! Mini candy bars omg *Drool* BIG Tootsie Rolls yum! Oooo and Jolly Ranchers and and and.. *d'Argent passes out from candy excitement* oh and Marshall? I'm raiding your Candy Bowl!!!!!!!!!!

Except for those cheapie little bank freebie lollipops. Those I could seriously do with out. And agreed, popcorn balls, blah!

Ok, that's it. 21 year old in Baton Rouge/ New Orleans area requesting to borrow someones child to go Trick or Treating. Bet I wouldn't get much candy if I went alone.

*Drools off into the sunset*

d'Argent of Pacific

G

Ohmagosh, how many memories are in this thread!
I had almost forgotten sweet old ladies that worked all day to make us homemade treats, like ohhie gooie popcorn balls, and rice crispie treats! Homemade monster cookies and peanut brittle. Those were the days! I think my favorite was probably the lady (one and only) that handed out the full size chocolate bars, and my least favorite was the sixlets, smarties, anything that wasnt sticky and dripping with fat calories lol. I grew up on a farm, and we would go to the nearest town, and that only had like 400 people. So basically I knew everyone. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif One of my worst memories of halloween night would have to be the night I got the flu and couldnt go and my cousin who lived in Ann Arbor Mich. (Suburb of Detroit) called to tell me she and her friends had just went and came home with a king sized pillow case stuffed with candy! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sad.gif
hehe

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe...this is a no-brainer for me...my favorite thing from halloween is the divorce papers i got served with 3 years ago and the 2 screws i have in my knee from tearing my ACL the same night....i was telling one of the guys last night at work about it and he told me i had to be the most un-lucky person he had ever met...i think it was awesome....tearing up my knee gave me 4 months to think things over about my my failed marriage and adjust to not being with my daughter.....shes the thing that made the divorce hurt, but in the long run, im a better person because of both of the incidents, although i miss her like hell and i havent been able to dunk a basketball in 3 years.

as far as candy goes, i always loved the laffy taffy and milk duds