• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: UO developer Garriott in space

G

From MSNBC.com Link
Space tourist to take custom photos of Earth
Computer game developer paying about $30 million for trip to space station

Space tourist-to-be Richard Garriott is taking requests for what may be the ultimate orbital postcards from the international space station.
Garriott, an American computer game developer training for an October launch, will take custom photographs of Earth for about 200 paying subscribers under a partnership with the "Earth Portraits" program of the Association of Space Explorers and the space history and memorabilia Web site collectSPACE.com.
"The Association of Space Explorers' Earth Portraits allows me a way to share the excitement of seeing the Earth from orbit with enthusiasts from around the world," Garriott, 46, said in a statement. "I look forward to taking their pictures from space." Based in Austin, Texas, Garriott is paying about $30 million for his planned Oct. 12 launch to the space station with two professional astronauts under a deal brokered with Russia's Federal Space Agency by the Virginia-based firm Space Adventures. He plans to perform a series of experiments and educational outreach projects during his flight in addition to the Earth Portraits program.
Garriott developed the Ultima online and Tabula Rasa computer games, and is the son of retired NASA astronaut Owen Garriott.
The non-profit ASE is a group of 300 flown astronauts and cosmonauts from 32 countries. As part of the Earth Portraits program, a limited number of 200 subscribers can pay $500 a piece to have Garriott snap a photo of any location on Earth, so long as it is visible from the space station during his week-long stay. The actual latitude and longitude of the location is required to request an Earth Portrait, with all reservations due by May 23.

G

- Aye very neat. He hinted to me something about this in September at the UO Austin Meet. I thought he was just talking about a desire we both shared. Then in October the news hit the presses. Lucky, lucky man (although I don't think a whole lot of luck was really involved).
Check out my sig for a link to his website.

V

vanecrox

The big joke on Tabula Rasa, is that Garriott is going into space and leaving behind the developers to figure out the bugs for themselves. I'm surprised to see this post here (it's everywhere on TR) in a game that he's long since abandoned.

G

Wow, how neat. Traveling to space would be an awesome experience! Definately something I would do if I won the lottery.

I suppose it's rather fitting....Garriot's ideas created worlds....and now he is getting to visit another world...outer space.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The big joke on Tabula Rasa, is that Garriott is going into space and leaving behind the developers to figure out the bugs for themselves. I'm surprised to see this post here (it's everywhere on TR) in a game that he's long since abandoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bugs? I think the lack of content is more of an issue. Most bugs have been worked out.

But yes he's been very quiet while training for his trip (understandably) but I hope he also uses this for a little advertising.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I want to have his babies.
You can tell him I said that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now!........ I want that job..... oh crum...... I can't..... PooDoo... *pouts*.....

R

Razeial

I'd like to contact Richard Garriot. My parents knew him on a personal level when my dad was working for Origin. I'd like to talk to him....

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Richard Garriot may have sold Origin to EA Games a long long time ago but the man is a gaming legend. You have to be a genius to come up with the world of the Ultima games, both online and PC format.

If there is any Garriots fan here you have probably heard of his house called Britannia Manor. If you have a spare 20 minutes have a looky at at this youtube video, it's a tour of his house.

I want that pool inside his house !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyMy7uBxidY