• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: Unlucky Lottery Winner

K

Kat SP

Whaddya think? Should he be able to keep the money?

Yahoo New's Story

<blockquote><hr>

Lottery winner wasn't supposed to gamble

By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer
Wed Nov 28, 6:49 PM ET

BOSTON - The winner of a $1 million lottery scratch ticket may not be so lucky after all: He's a convicted bank robber who isn't supposed to gamble. Timothy Elliott faces a Dec. 7 court hearing over whether he violated his probation when he bought the $10 ticket for the $800 Million Spectacular game at a supermarket in Hyannis.

Elliott was placed on five years' probation after pleading guilty in October 2006 to unarmed robbery for a January 2006 heist at a bank on Cape Cod. Under terms of his probation, he "may not gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted, including restaurants where Keno may be played."

Elliott, 55, has collected the first of 20 annual $50,000 checks from the Massachusetts lottery commission. A picture of Elliott, holding his first check, was posted on the lottery's Web site Monday, though it was removed by Wednesday.

As part of his sentence, Elliott was put under the care of the state Mental Health Department and sent to a hospital for treatment, and state officials refused Wednesday to say whether he was still being treated.

A telephone number for Elliott could not immediately be located Wednesday, and it was not clear whether he had a lawyer.

The lottery routinely cross references the names of winners with the state Revenue Department to see if they owe back taxes or child support, lottery spokesman Dan Rosenfeld said. In those cases, winnings go straight to the Revenue Department.

But in this case, it will be up to the court to determine what will happen with Elliott's winnings.

"This is kind of new territory," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

P

prostkr

pay the money back to the bank he robbed (if its not been recovered) and lock his ass up for not following the rules.

G

realisticly he violated his parole but he still won.

He will end up going to jail for violating his parole but he will receive the money. constitutionally he won the money legally.

I

imported_Death of Hemp

I like the idea of giving it to the bank he robbed. That won't happen though. Ymmy is correct and I, for one, wouldn't think twice about violating parole and spending some quality time playing spades with the hommies if it paid that well!

G

Well he owes a debt to a bank...wonder how much $$ he got in that bank heist ?

I would let him keep the $$ but pay back the darn bank, and other debts he owes *to society* for the bank robbery, lawyer fees whatever, then fine him for violating his parole, not a hefty fine just whatever is the norm.

After that, I would assign him a court appointed gamblers annonymous meetings he must attend weekly.

I would *sentance* him to spend 25% of his lotto check (or more) per check on community service needs, to which he would not only have to donate cash to a soup kitchen, but also to work in one. Might even sentance him to a humane shelter too, people and animals starving dying all over the land...they dont rob a bank even when that down..well the animals can not but the people do not either many of them dont go robbing banks, even if ..they're starving.

Lots of folks out there darn broke poorer than he probably ever was, daily hungry that DO NOT rob a bank, nor can even afford to blow a few bucks on a lotto ticket, when they cry for a loaf of bread to feed their baby.

This part of the sentance would be more for his own *gambling habit* law breaking habit and possibly his own self centered greed a big ...reality check.

(and then I would enable him to *have to* listen to Phil Collins song "Another day in paradise" till he gets a clue. )

Then whatever if anything is left of the winnings, would be his free and clear to keep.

G

Coming from a family strewn with lawyers, most probable outcome: State takes the money by placing numerous fines on him that would normally be tossed aside, until almost all the cash is kaput.

G

Why should he have to pay back the bank???? if he got caught and is on probation then obviously he didnt get away and didnt make any money.

Give the guy his money, send him to jail for breaking parole, and everybody will be happy!

S

Strycher

1. Go to jail serve his time and live well afterwords.
2. Give back the money to the state.

For the record, unless the time is ALONG time, I would probably pick 1.