• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT Kind of: DVDs and Such

S

Sweeney

Watching a DVD right now and get noise when it displays bright (white in this case) letters (a la overlays like titles and credits).

Wondering if anybody knows what causes it and how to fix it. I do have a 10 year old TV, which may be a part of it.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is a CRT, it sounds like the tube is going bad. White is the hardest color for a CRT tv to display, as white is all three colors (rgb) firing at once. It appears you may have some crosstalk happening due to a deteriorating shield between the back of the tube and the audio circuitry. Please for christs sake DO NOT TRY TO FIX THIS YOURSELF. Cathodes in TV's like that can hold upwards of 40,000 volts for up to a few days.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd ask if the same thing happens if you view a pure white image.

Does the sound come from the speakers, the monitor, or elsewhere?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is a CRT, it sounds like the tube is going bad. White is the hardest color for a CRT tv to display, as white is all three colors (rgb) firing at once. It appears you may have some crosstalk happening due to a deteriorating shield between the back of the tube and the audio circuitry.
I'm impressed! :bowdown: Someone that grew up with CRTs :D

@Sweeney: Can you describe what do you mean when you say noise? Noise as in
1) snowing/fuzzy display or
2) noise as in audible zzzz from the speakers
3) noise as in audible crackling sounds that you hear even when you turn the volume off?

Please for christs sake DO NOT TRY TO FIX THIS YOURSELF. Cathodes in TV's like that can hold upwards of 40,000 volts for up to a few days.
Bolding the important part and repeating again:

DO NOT TRY TO FIX THIS YOURSELF

ST is correct, the CRT's capacitors can hold the electrical charge for a very long time, never open up a CRT TV.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep id bet on it being becuase of an older tv.
i used to have an old tv and when i watched dvds on pure white screen it would lose v-hold.. a new tv doesnt do that.