• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] I'm soooo PISSED OFF, I'm gonna EXPLODE!!!

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm writing this in here because I'm too pissed for OT, and I need to vent some venom!!!

Okay our Stoopid heads at the municipal electric company put in these digital meters that communicate with their office. Since they put them in our electric bill has gone up $100 EACH MONTH!

Got in the electric bill for this month 328.66!!!! GAAAAH!!!! It was 216.51 the month before and before that it 154.31!!! To compare our bill for this time last year was 206.87!!!! We have gotten NOTHING new and we didn't run the A/C very much as it was fairly cool. SO WHAT IN BLUEST OF BLUE HELL shot it up 121.79 from last yr or for that matter 112.51 from LAST MONTH!!!

I went the electric company with my elderly mother, since its her house. OMG!!!! The insensitive COW at the electric company was all our new software and system DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES! Oh BTW, they still make YOU read the flippin meter but THE COMPUTER READING ALWAYS SUPERSEDES YOUR READING! They won't work with you and that STOOPID COW at the electric company I wanna slap her clear back to the JURASSIC AGE!!!

She had my mother sooo upset, and when I tried to diffuse things FREAKIN COW told me to step back we can ONLY TALK TO THE ACCOUNT HOLDER!! BS! She'd just rather upset and push around a little old lady! That little old lady is MY MOM, YOU WITLESS STOOPID HEAD COW! Also she has a heart condition and has an implanted cardiac defibrillator(its like a pacemaker but it shocks her heart if it forgets to beat). I swear to God himself if this steaming LOAD OF BULL FECES causes my mom any kind health problems I will SINGLE HANDEDLY RIP THE ELECTRIC COMPANY AND THIS BACKWARD ASS STOOPID HICK TOWN, A NEW ASS HOLE SOOO WIDE YOU CAN FIT A BRONTOSAURUS IN IT!!!

I KNOW you can't fight city hall but this is crap I guess next month it'll be 400 bucks then 500 after that. What can you do? I'm giving up college to help my parents pay their bills and keep their home. GRRR I'M SO MAD!!!!!!

Last edited:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have to admit - your frustration tickles me...

But I will take pity on you.
1) First try speaking to someone else, a supervisor preferably and try to work it out that way.
2) Find corporate email address for the electric company and blind email them. Just make the email very polite and professional. Most corporate offices hate bad publicity so much they will try to fix it.
3) Contact your local news station - they love **** like this and the local investigative reporter will stick his ugly ****ing nose all up in it if it smells juicy enough. And yes, the investigative reporter is always some fugly son of a pancake who was never going to land the desk anchor job.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to admit - your frustration tickles me...

But I will take pity on you.
1) First try speaking to someone else, a supervisor preferably and try to work it out that way.
2) Find corporate email address for the electric company and blind email them. Just make the email very polite and professional. Most corporate offices hate bad publicity so much they will try to fix it.
3) Contact your local news station - they love **** like this and the local investigative reporter will stick his ugly ****ing nose all up in it if it smells juicy enough. And yes, the investigative reporter is always some fugly son of a pancake who was never going to land the desk anchor job.
Well there's no corporate it's a municipal electric company, that is its own and ran by the city. :p Good luck talking to anyone at City Hall because while I am on city electric I live outside the city limits and they do love to remind us that "we" don't have a say outside the city limits. He he he Already called 2 works for you. You're right the investigator is a fugly dude. I snicker when I see him on the news.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'm writing this in here because I'm too pissed for OT, and I need to vent some venom!!!

Okay our Stoopid heads at the municipal electric company put in these digital meters that communicate with their office. Since they put them in our electric bill has gone up $100 EACH MONTH!

Got in the electric bill for this month 328.66!!!! GAAAAH!!!! It was 216.51 the month before and before that it 154.31!!! To compare our bill for this time last year was 206.87!!!! We have gotten NOTHING new and we didn't run the A/C very much as it was fairly cool. SO WHAT IN BLUEST OF BLUE HELL shot it up 121.79 from last yr or for that matter 112.51 from LAST MONTH!!!

I went the electric company with my elderly mother, since its her house. OMG!!!! The insensitive COW at the electric company was all our new software and system DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES! Oh BTW, they still make YOU read the flippin meter but THE COMPUTER READING ALWAYS SUPERSEDES YOUR READING! They won't work with you and that STOOPID COW at the electric company I wanna slap her clear back to the JURASSIC AGE!!!

She had my mother sooo upset, and when I tried to diffuse things FREAKIN COW told me to step back we can ONLY TALK TO THE ACCOUNT HOLDER!! BS! She'd just rather upset and push around a little old lady! That little old lady is MY MOM, YOU WITLESS STOOPID HEAD COW! Also she has a heart condition and has an implanted cardiac defibrillator(its like a pacemaker but it shocks her heart if it forgets to beat). I swear to God himself if this steaming LOAD OF BULL FECES causes my mom any kind health problems I will SINGLE HANDEDLY RIP THE ELECTRIC COMPANY AND THIS BACKWARD ASS STOOPID HICK TOWN, A NEW ASS HOLE SOOO WIDE YOU CAN FIT A BRONTOSAURUS IN IT!!!

I KNOW you can't fight city hall but this is crap I guess next month it'll be 400 bucks then 500 after that. What can you do? I'm giving up college to help my parents pay their bills and keep their home. GRRR I'M SO MAD!!!!!!
Super frustrating. I've had issues with electric companies "cheating" before. Sometimes they will just guess at your electricity use instead of coming out to check the meter and I've called them on it. If you don't have a meter to check yourself, then it seems like there is no way to hold them accountable.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Super frustrating. I've had issues with electric companies "cheating" before. Sometimes they will just guess at your electricity use instead of coming out to check the meter and I've called them on it. If you don't have a meter to check yourself, then it seems like there is no way to hold them accountable.
We have a meter to check , but the thing is this new meter communicates directly with them. Their rule is the computer reading overrules any other reading. so even if I read it and take them the reading it doesn't matter. We're having them check it. I'm sure they're going to say it's working fine.
You just can't fight city hall.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should experiment - Try leaving your computer off for a month, see how much it impacts the electric bill next time around.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I've had this issue before, begin writing the KWh down from the meter ( if possible). You will have to make note or probably even take a snap shot of it after a month.

It's even better if you know the date they read the meter.

Sorry for your troubles, I hope it works itself out.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Ive had an invidiual powerreader for some years. Its not your computer that draws the power, mine is on 24/7. Its the fridge your lightning, your mobile charger and what else, maybe your tv, if its plasma get it out and get an lcd, they dont cost much anymore. My cost got 3* when we got it, and I realised that I had a lot of power going of to nothing. I had my plasma tv, it broke and well bill got lower, I had my chargers connected 24/7, I had an old fridge. When I fixed all this my bill was still a bit higher than before but I figured I had been lucky for a lot of years and now I actually pay for what I use.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive had an invidiual powerreader for some years. Its not your computer that draws the power, mine is on 24/7. Its the fridge your lightning, your mobile charger and what else, maybe your tv, if its plasma get it out and get an lcd, they dont cost much anymore. My cost got 3* when we got it, and I realised that I had a lot of power going of to nothing. I had my plasma tv, it broke and well bill got lower, I had my chargers connected 24/7, I had an old fridge. When I fixed all this my bill was still a bit higher than before but I figured I had been lucky for a lot of years and now I actually pay for what I use.
Yeah, the fridges, and the freezers are the worst offenders. I also unplug chargers and small appliances(coffeemaker, toaster etc) when not in use. The big flat screen in the den and sis's flat screen are lcd. I wonder how much her xbox one and the directv boxes are using.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What part of the country are you in? We (Connecticut/New England) have digital readers too but one house we lived in "outside city limits" our electric bill cleared 300 beans in the summer with 5 people living in it. We too unplugged coffee makers, microwaves (which drove me nuts when that flashed without the time it's not 12:00 all the time!! hehe). But with the digital meters, a guy had to come manually read it once a month additionally. Does someone do that to yours?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, the fridges, and the freezers are the worst offenders. I also unplug chargers and small appliances(coffeemaker, toaster etc) when not in use. The big flat screen in the den and sis's flat screen are lcd. I wonder how much her xbox one and the directv boxes are using.
FridgeS and freezerS plural? Yeah, that'll do it.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has nothing to do with you and your habits and everything to do with the fact that your old electric meter was registering low use. Odds are its was electro-mechanical and was pretty old (decade or more) so it has been reading low for years.

I work in the industry and can tell you a few things:

1) They may cut you a break for the first bill or two but not in the long run.
2) The new reads are correct, you old reads were not and in the eyes of muni you were underpaying for a while.No fault of your own of course. You will not win this battle.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What part of the country are you in? We (Connecticut/New England) have digital readers too but one house we lived in "outside city limits" our electric bill cleared 300 beans in the summer with 5 people living in it. We too unplugged coffee makers, microwaves (which drove me nuts when that flashed without the time it's not 12:00 all the time!! hehe). But with the digital meters, a guy had to come manually read it once a month additionally. Does someone do that to yours?
I'm in Oklahoma and these are "supposed" to talk directly to the electric company office computer. However "we" people in country still have to read our own meters, but the only one they use is the computer's reading. According the woman at the electric office the computer is always right and does not make mistakes like people do!! LMAO my sis is finishing her degree in IT, that statement made her ROTFLMAO. Its pretty much a no win with the readings. However my neighbors got their bills , and they to had a huge spike. Both of them were planning to got to the electric office today. Things are getting interesting.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I'm a little late but better late than never.

They tried to tell me exactly the same thing as what you said @Arcus when the City of Ft Lauderdale changed over the older meters. I went to my neighbors & ask if they would discuss their new meter charges b/c mine seemed very high.

Turned out the City was installing faulty meters that over charged. It took a comparisons of over a dozen residential homes in the area to determine all had some level of increase but just under half had insanely increased bills($200 and up).

The City denied fault until 6 of us walked in together w/ documents showing 14 current bills in our area & 14 bills before the meters were changed. The discrepancy with 6 of them was glaring. We said our next call was the TV News if we walked out of there w/o appointments to have our meters checked. I ended up getting a new meter in about 10 work days. My bill is now more expensive but no where near what they were charging me. It dropped over $150.

I shutter to think how many folks didn't spend the time to talk to neighbors and are still being screwed.