• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Original UO Devs Video

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right around 31.40 the single most destructive design choice was open player killing which caused the number of players to drop so they had to put in systems to punish that.

Funny how we argue over that. Can't believe the developers...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, i haven't seen anyone post this yet. Richard Garriot (Lord British), Starr Long (Lord Blackthorn), Raph Koster, and Rich Vogel give a presentation about Ultima Online.

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting! Very very inter sting!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right around 31.40 the single most destructive design choice was open player killing which caused the number of players to drop so they had to put in systems to punish that.

Funny how we argue over that. Can't believe the developers...
Yet the most populated servers..aren’t OSI, and are that era. Weird right? Was a good video, I just got the vibe Richard was there to boast about how he invented shards and all these neat features..just like every other interview or panel I see him in. Dude solidified his place as a con artist with SoTa..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yet the most populated servers..aren’t OSI, and are that era. Weird right? Was a good video, I just got the vibe Richard was there to boast about how he invented shards and all these neat features..just like every other interview or panel I see him in. Dude solidified his place as a con artist with SoTa..

So you don't like sota? I've heard mixed reviews, haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran

I tried it for 5 minutes and quit. I found out you couldn't place items on the ground. Not sure if its still like that. It might be a small thing for some ppl but it is a dealbreaker for me. It does have nice graphics and all, but somehow it feels less immersive since you can't interact with the environment like you can in UO.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The whole "card deck" ability system throws me off. Waiting around hoping you get 3+ stacks of a buff spell before you cast it is pretty lame.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I downloaded but did not play i will however say i have gotten more emails in the few short months since i signed up then i have about UO in my entire time playing

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Back on topic. What I took from the video was they built the entire game in a little over 2 years with 9 or 10 people. Many more people late in the process that seemed more trouble than they were worth. And how many people does the current team have now? Broadsword could have totally rebuilt the game from the ground up by now. And they can't figure out how to implement a custom castle plot?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yet the most populated servers..aren’t OSI, and are that era. Weird right?
It's not weird. You are conveniently ignoring the fact that those servers are free, while OSI requires a sub and an investment in expansions. I suspect that most free shards would close their doors in months if OSI ever went fully ftp. PvP population tends to implode as soon as the PvMers leave.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Since we have no numbers I wonder where you get your info? Every knock off server I've ever looked at had no where near the numbers of actual players of the real deal. They're free and you certainly get what you pay for.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
They can’t have a post mortem it’s not dead yet!

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since we have no numbers I wonder where you get your info? Every knock off server I've ever looked at had no where near the numbers of actual players of the real deal. They're free and you certainly get what you pay for.
Dude. OSI has 0 Twitch streamers. And why is that? :) All the players on EA make YouTube videos so they can hide their cheats. Lol.

I bet that 50% of uo (maybe if that lol) is on osi and 50% is on free servers. If EA closed down uo, it wouldn't be the end of the game.

SoTA Has probably the worst reviews on steam and is probably one of the biggest crowd funded kickstarter game scams ever. I feel bad for the grandpa's and grandma's that spent some of their retirement on that piece of garbage.

Back to UO. Am I the only one that feels like the Devs now are intentionally trying to destroy the game? Some of the changes they have made in last couple years alienates groups of players. I don't know, I've been back a few week's and I feel like chunks of the game are empty. Servers are so dead. Myself and others see improvements that Devs simply don't get or understand.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Dude. OSI has 0 Twitch streamers. And why is that? :) All the players on EA make YouTube videos so they can hide their cheats. Lol.

I bet that 50% of uo (maybe if that lol) is on osi and 50% is on free servers. If EA closed down uo, it wouldn't be the end of the game.

SoTA Has probably the worst reviews on steam and is probably one of the biggest crowd funded kickstarter game scams ever. I feel bad for the grandpa's and grandma's that spent some of their retirement on that piece of garbage.

Back to UO. Am I the only one that feels like the Devs now are intentionally trying to destroy the game? Some of the changes they have made in last couple years alienates groups of players. I don't know, I've been back a few week's and I feel like chunks of the game are empty. Servers are so dead. Myself and others see improvements that Devs simply don't get or understand.
Well... I gotta agree with most of that!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have not played it, but recent reviews suggest that it has gotten much better since release. Tempting enough for me to try.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Count me in on those alienated groups of players :) Though I wouldnt say they are intentionally trying to destroy the game. Their priorities are just garbage and often driven by a small group of players closer to Mesanna than you will ever get on the official UO forums or the Meet and Greets.

On top is Mesanna's age old habit of saying things she can't hold up with. It for sure has not only alienated players but also people up the chain, since the UO team is pretty incapable of making anything happen with EA and further are even badmouthing them at every occasion. Right up to the point where we suggest them a ton of store items that could generate a ton of revenue, but they don't give rats because that would be EA and not UO money.

And right now they are working on nerfing the EC dress macros I loved to use for years just to make my game more tedious :thumbup:

Secretly I sometimes wish they worked more on DaoC instead of UO.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And right now they are working on nerfing the EC dress macros I loved to use for years just to make my game more tedious :thumbup:
It made me laugh when one of the mods on the official forums said that we should stop blaming Mervin and to give Devs some credit in that they are capable of making their own decisions. I am really not sure what is worse - to follow bad advice or to come up with bad decisions on one's own. In any case I would not advertise either of those.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think there are issues that most people agree addressing like pvp consumables, origin store, and transfer/shard shields. None of these things are even addressed by the Dev team. I think that leads to people leaving the game. Whatever stance you take on these issues, I think most just want to know they're listening. Most my rl friends play wow. I really want to stay with UO, but sometimes I feel the prolonged silence by devs makes me want to quit.