• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Origin Event Being Taken Over by Dishonest Players!

D

Daring

First I want to give you a bit of history on this dillema so that you realize this is not just a form of the "why dont I get any of the good stuff" syndrome.

I cannot name names on the forum but I want to tell you all about a person I met recently in Luna....

This person approached me and introduced himself and ask me if I knew who he was. I replied that I didnt, so he commenced to tell me a bit about himself.

He told me that he owned somewhere between 7 and 10 homes on this shard and that he also made a living (in real) by playing the game and selling rares and gold for real life cash. He told me that he had that very day in fact, gotten about 10 accounts banned because he had a dozen or so fisherman, all on the same boat, running a fishing script and that he had gotten caught.

I asked how many accounts he had and he laughed and told me I really didnt want to know.

Of course, I actually figured this person was pulling my leg and was just someone trying to make it sound like he had a ton of gold. But....he then asked me if I would like to go see some of his stuff. Sure I said, as long as it isnt Fel, Ill go take a peek.

True to his word, we went to several different homes, all of which he had to change characters at the homes to access himself then he would access me. Each home was filled to the max with gems, ore, bags and bags of rares! One house was completely FULL of nothing but colored fishnets!

Each house had bags that were colored coded and marked as to know what bag was holding what.

At this point I knew he wasnt lying to me. I was completely amazed but at the same time, was totally disgusted.

He told me more than I can explain here but I want to let you know what he and a few others of his friends are doing at the event in Moonglow.

Today I was at the event and noticed him there. You dont really see him around alot on the character he introduced himself to me with, but I saw him and he spoke to me and a few more of my guildmates.

We all then went inside the black gate and proceeded to fight. A Deamon Bersker came right up to us and we all jumped in. Luckily for me, when it lye dead and I had opened it, I retrieved a Berskers Sythe from the body. Of course I shouted out that I had gotten one and then all hell broke loose!

This character approached me again only not quite so frriendly this time. He was very upset that me and my friends had gotten an arti and he promised us that it would not happen again. In fact, we were informed that this was His event and he would not allow anyone to get anything else and that we were to stay away from his spawn. Can you imagine that?

From that moment on, everytime we would fight anything, we would be swarmed wtih spawn. Now I know there is at times alot of spawn at this event, but it became evident that ALL the spawn really liked me and my friends...alot.

Then we noticed that 90% of the spawn was all congregating at the gate, so anyone coming in was instantly dead. Most of the people other than he and his friends finally got tired of dying and they left. We didnt.

We started noticing that he had several characters on at one time there playing...mainly because he was still shouting obsentities and threats to us all on different characters. And sinse he told me he runs at least 10 c0mputers at once, this was very possible for him to do.

If that wasnt enough harrassing, one of our members that knew him started getting threatening ICQS from him, telling us to stop or else. (and a few other personal slams and threats)

What we noticed then was that he would bring several of the characters into the gate to fight and he would provoke one monster onto another and then the rest of his characters were luring all the other spawn upon us. He even had his own healing station outside the gate to heal all of them as they died luring.

They would go out the gate down south and lure everything they could bring to us or to the main gate that transports you in and out of the spawn area.

And yes, we paged GMs several times but only recieved generic messages about looking into matter.

I think the most disgusting part of the entire thing was that several people joined him in his plot to "own the event and collect all the rewards". Some of the people helping him were prominant people on this shard but also members of a certain guild that he told me had characters in.

In talking with several other people who have been there for the past two days, I was told that they watched them ( him and his group) kill the Deamon Berskers in about 3 seconds the night before. Im talking a small group of 3 or 4 people at a time. Is this really possible to do? Is there something the rest of us dont know about this event that maybe we should?

Im asking the people of Origin to pay close attention to the goings on there, and to please contact the GMs if they see him or his guild luring the spawn to the gate and on other players so that they can "farm" our event.

This is truley disgusting and if we allow them to continue...they will.

D

Daring

Thank you Sir, I certainly will send this information to the appropriate authorities

S

Seleukos

Hello Friends of Origin,

I feel a lot of strange things have been going on at the Moonglow event.I think only those who have a direct association to those responsible to these unexplainable occurances could be one way or another either be involved themselves or are being misled bigtime to think that everything as we say is normal.

Actually things are abnormal and if we may suggest a close investigation of facts and testimonies of players who have themselves seen the weird things going on be given a careful scrutinity by the authorities of the kingdom.

For instance me and several friends have witnessed people rez thier pets in "dead mode" is this at all possible?

We couldn't get anywhere coz the gate was being prowled at times by as many 13 Berserkers and other demons insuring one would be instantly killed as they enter or have a very difficult time to exit without dying and leaving thier bodies inside. If ever one gets to retrieve his body chances are even "insured" items are missing as if somebody had been rummaging through thier corpse like an OGRE does.

Weapons of great lore seem to have no effect at all on the monsters inside as if they were all under such a great spell of impotency.Many will attest to this and we call on citizens of this shard to stand up to this truth and become witnesses to these happenings.

We have been witness to "cheats" who recall inside?? This and many more "crazy" things are going on at the expense of fair and legitimate players. People come out frustrated we have positioned our group to help them by rez as they come out dead from the gate.Only to see them go back and return needing to heal themselves as there apparently isn't any time at all for them to patch themselves up with a bandage upon entering and being abnormally attacked by the monsters.

While all these have been going on certain "tricks" continue to be performed unabated by characters who have adepted themselves to gain from the chaos somehow by means only known to them. To make it simple, once one enters one should be prepared to die as other nefarious people gather as many as they boast of 500 swords and shields practically at will killing berserkers in record time and harvesting or shall we say farming the loot.

We do thank Daring for starting this thread and bringing the matter to the legitimate players of this game. Do be assured that we will have ourselves available to help rid the shard from super "hackers" and opportunists who have decided to claim Origin for themselves..

Peace be to all and may the honorable virtues of our Shard be manifest in all we do and say. <font color="black"> </font>

M

MistyMagik

Yes, I agree that Daring is owed a great deal of thanks for being brave enough to bring this to our attention. For myself I am a bit of a coward and on Saturday I simply became disgusted and frustrated and left the game rather than bring things to anyone's attention.

While I fought in the event I noticed that no matter how much damage I did to the creatures I could not loot any, I constantly received the message that I did not own the kill and I couldn't understand why. Several times I had one of the winged things trapped in the maze and I would kill them with EVs and some flame strike spells. Towards the end one particular character would hop into the maze and smack them with their weapon and it would die. I would pop into the maze thinking I was certainly owed a bit of loot only to be told I didn't. When you figured that I had taken its life bar from full to less than a quarter, I definitely deserved something.

Between that kind of thing happening and being killed by creatures I never saw coming I figured I had enough.

And that becomes the biggest problem for major events such as this. There is a large group of players who can tackle any monster out there and so events need to be tough for them or they will cake walk through it. And yet there are far more of us out here that aren't super players and end up getting killed repeatedly for nothing. My character died at least a dozen times and I never did get a single item from the event that wasn't something I could get killing something far easier. Finally a friend, Fantasy, gave me one of the two planeswords she had and I thank her for that. Its humiliating that the only special item I got was given to me rather than earned, but what can I do?

Is there a solution to this? I don't know. I've been playing for 10 years and it seems there are always those that ruin it for the rest of us, the ones that either hack in and cheat or are just such strong players that it is impossible for those of us who aren't.

As for poor Daring, I too know a player who has many accounts, many houses, and can play multiple accounts at the same time. They get banned but that doesn't stop them, they simply get a new account and do it all over again. I hate it and have no clue what can be done, and I'm sure UO is pretty tired of it all too. These people ruin a wonderful game for everyone in their greed. Something needs to be done finally to put this game back into the hands of the players, the honest ones.

G

Oh dear, by Mystryl's Eye!

Being a former ((or current if you count that my homes are still intact and I will be returning at least one more time in the near future)) resident of Origin, I do find this news very disturbing.

I know a great deal of people on this Shard that are very respectable, indeed. It is in my hopes that this message shall get their attention and bring into light that there are cowardly people on our Shard that be ruining the very Reputation of our Community that we have striven so long and hard to make.

I do like to think that our Reputation on Origin would be one of containing Veteran Citizens who are honest, courteous, respectable, friendly, knowledgeable and most importantly, that we care about our Home and the Residents therein.

Something must be done. Aye it must. The words Lord Ghost_Writer suggested is a large step in the right direction, I do feel. Let the Gods know that we, the Respectable Citizens of Origin, will not stand for this type of abuse upon our beloved Shard and that we shall continue to Pray to them for their Aid. ((Continue to page on these scrupulous folk that seek to ruin our Shard's Good Name))

Good Folk of Origin, seek out others of like mind and form together to counter-act the threats and abuse these deceptive people are performing upon us. However, keep in mind that we must not, nay, we shall not resort to doing the same upon them that they are doing upon us, for then if we do.. we would be no better than them.

And a final note, if I may, to this person that claims the Monsters, or any part of our beloved Origin was "theirs" or that they hold some mystical power over it, I say this:

"Ye are wrong and ye are correct.. Origin and all it's contents including the Citizens and Monsters contained there in, do nay belong to ye alone. Nor do ye have sole rights to any of the Monsters therein. Origin belongs to us. It belongs to the all the Peoples of Origin equally, indeed. Yer claim of ownership is invalid and presumptions to say the least and yer efforts to oppress the Citizens of Origin will fail."

Sincerely,
Elminster Aumar, Sage of Sosaria.

D

Daring

Orvago, thank you so much for your words of wisdom on this matter. Your a very wise man indeed.

I would also like to inform the citizens of Origin that this matter is not going "overlooked" by the management of UO. It is seriously being looked into and monitored.

I would also like to ask of Orvago, or other concerned citizens to please explain to the people here just what all this cheating does to our economy and to our game as a whole as I dont think I could hit on every aspect without writing a book.

I was surprised by the responses of some of the citizens of this land at what this is actually doing to our game and how it hurts the people personally. I even had a person tell me that "well yes, he does this stuff but he has orders to fill, so he has to "do things" that will help him get all he needs." "its not hurting anyone, so why not just let him do it?...its his playstyle"

HE had to have things to sell for real cash so it is justified that he runs scripts, lures, and rips people off every chance he gets????? Im hoping this is not the concensus of all the people of this shard.

My personal opinon is this "if anyone should make real cash off of items in this game, it should be our provider EA so that the money is used to provide us with updates, fixes, new items, etc. If real cash is being made from the sale of game items to any indivdual here, it only goes in thier pockets for personal use.

This is OUR game people! It does NOT belong to one individual.

G

I deal with aspects of UO as I would deal with real life situations. There are black markets and grey markets in real life as well. If everyone traded in those markets it would surely criple the world's economy in a very short period of time. Fortunately most people are honest enough to buy from legitmate retailers.

I produce as much of my own resourses as possible and the rest I trade with people I know and trust. I don't spend real cash on anything but game time. I also don't sell for cash.

As far as people using cheats to effect situations like spawns, you are doing the best thing you can. There have always been problems like this in the game. All you can do is report as much detail as possible and hope they find a way to catch them. Sometime they do, the burning houses in Luna are evidence of that, sometimes it takes longer than you'd like, and sometimes it doesn't even look like anything is being done. They do what they can.

D

Daring

Yes! The burning houses in Luna were proof to alot of us non-believers, that there are actually people out there that care and are willing to jump in and try to get at least some of the dishonesty eliminated from the game.

I know that this particular person complained that he lost many vendors with high dollar items during the "burning process" and that was certainly a plus. I also know that running at least 10 computers with up to 30 accounts will be very hard to totally eliminate him but anything that can be done to shrink his "warehouse inventory" will eventually send him the message that alot of his dishonesty will be in vain.

This in itself poses a large problem for the innocent players of this shard. According to this person, he has vendors spread out all across Luna at different houses. People could essentially lose a house because of his misdealings, if Im understanding the "burning process" correctly. Sad part is that some of these players know how he gets his "high dollar" items and allows him to place vendors on thier property, stating it is not their business how he gets them.

I hope the citizens of Origin take note and tread carefully. I would hate to see this person be the reason they lose precious accounts. This shard has always been graced with having good people and honest players. It is just a shame that one person could cause so much havoc and discord to one community.

S

Seleukos

Dear Citizen's of Origin,

Much to my dismay at the expense of legitimate vendors at Luna,it seems that blackmarket trading continues to go on unabated right in the heart of Luna Bank.

Although it may serve the purpose of acquiring gear and rare items at a much depleted cost it appears that in the long run it would not be good for all as unscrupulous traders have invaded the shard.

We can very clearly see how this would affect the economy as a whole. If we may suggest then that spamming for goods at the public places i.e. the bank be prohibited at once in order to control the nasty curve of violence scams and other nefarious activities of elements who seek to control the shard by illegal means.

Sure we see the burning houses.. but then so what? Does it put a total stop to whats going on?

An acquaintance of ours filed a detailed report including names and addresses of those behind the Moonglow fiasco, emails were sent to parties including Jeremy on the matter. Reports were filed to appropriate channels but ALAS!! Nothing seems to be going on at all not even a return courtesy email to the complainant.

Now if this is the case and EA themselves or the authorities of this Realm will not act and stop treating these culprits with kids gloves..then it would all be best for us to kill Dreglor the Impaler at Old Haven for the future would look dark indeed.

JOHO

-S-

G

Go take a couple of nights worth of video of some crack dealer standing on the street corner selling drug. Then turn it in to the local police. You think the drugs on that street corner will stop in a week?

Or something more obvious. Find an auto repair facility that is blatantly taking advantage of people by selling them repairs they don't need. Video tape that and turn it over to the authorities. You would think they'd be closed down quickly. Nope, News agencies have been doing things like that for decades. sometimes it will lead to investigations that take years.

Your friend may have shown them there is a problem, however, this is a corporation, it has to be able to prove any allegation it makes against a customer. Some of these allegations would be very difficult to prove. I believe someone claims this guy is running multiple accounts with scripts or bots, he could very well be sitting in a room with 9 friends laughing because you believe the claim that they are all him. And if he is doing just that, how do you prove it? Short of video taping his house or searching his PC for scripts or bots, both of which would be illegal.

S

Seleukos

Greetings to you Ghost Writer,

FYI a paper trail and candidly open ICQ conversations have been documented on the matter so what other proof would anyone need to start doing something about it? As we mentioned the complaint have apparently fallen on deaf ears.

My friend would even be willing to stand in court as a witness to the events and present whatever evidence the realworld court may need.

But we are concerned of our imaginary world at Origin, which is being bullied by people who perhaps sit on the laps of cohorts who are always willing to support them either emotionally or psychologically in any way.

They thrive on creating scenarios which gives them assurance to gain real money on chaotic situations. With all due respect, your analogy is good but unfortunately lacking and for someone of your stature we feel you have just said a great injustice to legitimate players of this shard. Excuses are never enough in our books we all need to see a bit of light and hope at the end of the tunnel do we?

However allow us to congratulate you for your opinions slanted to us as it may seem. If you are referring to the fact that the horse and carriage speed things are happening to address the matter is due to EA being a corporation, then what corporation in the world may we ask would remain idle on such an issue? As a matter of fact our acquaintance and other symphatizers have not even been notified at all? Perhaps all the details were lost in the spam mail huh?

Are you may we ask speaking for EA on the matter of why it takes time? Is it your views that these things mentioned in this thread are nothing to be afraid or concerned about? Then do please say so and try not to be vague for chances are you are starting to confuse and even appear to be the Devil's advocate of these criminals which we do hope you are not.

JOHO

-S-

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of the problem is, EA cant' just look at ICQ logs or Screenshots and say "Yeah they're cheating" because all of the above can be altered through digital means.

Yes, you have candid ICQ logs. So do I. I can also edit those logs to make it look like the other person is saying what I am saying. Screenshots can be easily falsified. See where I'm going?

F

five oclock

been reading this post for some time. SO please let me just send a comment or two..even tho I haven't played on your world in some time.

The last post before mind does bring up some points. logs and screen shots can be fixed to make anyone look like they are cheating. lets say a dishonest player doesn't like the bad looks he is given so he types some stuff up. Makes it look really good and send it to the GMs.

As a prior post said. Thy blackmarket is alive in the Real world as it is in the pixle world. the only difference tho is that the blackmarkerter knows ever which way to talk themselves out or looking like thiefs and that lies are there best friends.

honest players not so much.

So what do you do? Alot of people just throw up there hands and say thats it. Im done playing. im moving on to other games..other worlds. Others tho report it. but the key word is this. keep reporting it. Tell the worlds what is going on. Follow the rules but keep them in the spot light. Of course with the laws of thy world it takes ALOT of time to Not find the problem, but to make sure that the problem can be fixed. There are alot of dishonest players who page just to be a thorn in someones side. They don't care if there account is banned. Last time I checked I can get UO for 9.99 bucks at best buy.

What people forget is that we know the cheating is happening now, but thy Devs get pages like this every day just from my home shards. They have to be 100 percent sure. Then take the actions to make the cheaters go away. It takes ALOT of time and evidence for them to take action but when they do...its all goes up in a Cloud of burning rubble.

In a nut shell. For the honest players. Don't STOP. Do what you can to get the dishonest people off the shard. Devs do work but it takes time. Also just enough public attetion to there evil ways will also make dishonest people jump ship and go to another server. I have also seen this first hand. Just keep on fighting. For its an endless but very rewarding battle when you win one or two...For the honest players.

D

Daring

Yes Five OClock, that is the best advise yet...DOnt Stop. This has been said several times to me and to others that are concerned.

I believe what Seleukos is trying to say is that there is much evidence out there as to what this person is doing, and it seems as though not alot is being done to stop him. ( I happen to know that this is being investigated though)

I realize it takes time...alot of time to investigate and to make sure that what was told is the absolute truth. No one would want to see someone get 20 to 30 accounts banned if this person was totally innocent.

The part that alot of people reading these post dont understand is that it is not only screenshots, ICQs, or hear say that is involved here. Yes, these can be altered, but when this person actually takes you to multiple houses (7 or so) and shows you houses completely full, maxed out lockdowns, of nothing but rares and resources, it is kind of hard not to believe that something here is amiss.

It wouldnt have been hard to have taken a Gm to at least some of these houses to see for themselfs. ( I do remember where some of them were)

The problem now is, that because of this post, this individual has been moving house loads of items all week long. Not sure if he is moving them off the shard or to other houses he hadnt taken us to or that he recently placed.

And yes, I actually paged a Gm that night while he changed characters so that he could access me to one of the house to see his goods.

NO matter what is said here, this type of proof cannot be altered. It was there in plain sight. It is not "hear say" and it is not a bluff to try to get someone in trouble for nothing. It was not several people on different accounts playing games, as this person had to log out and log in the owners of each of these houses to grant me access as I said.

The books this person drops about every other on the shard advertising these goods are not altered. They give a web addy and ICQ numbers. It is not an altered situation to SEE this person drop the books. People can clearly see names, and that is something no one can change.

It is not an altered state when a credit card is used to place an order to this person, which must show who recieved the real money.

The house signs of these houses cannot be altered by me or anyone else, which shows the owners of each houses characters names.

The journals cannot be altered by players when a Gm was summoned because this person was making "Personal Threats". Journals of at least 3 different players. The journals will clearly show the persons name that was making such threats and who they were made to.

One thing that needs to be said here though, is that EA IS investigating this matter. I know this becauce of requests for more infomation that I have recieved from them.

It is just frustrating because it seems nothing is being done, but we dont really know what they are doing. It does take time to investigate things like this, we realize this without a doubt, but we all live in a "give me fast" world where most things like the internet are instant. We are all spoiled by this!!! LOL

Im sure I will take the advise to not to give up and Im sure Seleukos will also. He is very concerned about this and I think is just getting a bit disappointed that we dont see any results yet.

As a wise man said, "Give a fool enough rope and he will sooner or later hang himself".

Thats what Im hoping for!

S

Seleukos

We feel that as long as there are concerned citizen's in this shard the powers of these opportunists will continue to be contained. For one thing their movements, their routines and crafty ways would be made manifest all so clearly by all as their deeds are continually being exposed even by way of this humble thread.

True in this age of digital things can be altered to one's purpose, however the circumstantial evidence mated by reliable testimonies of credible eyewitnesses and of course the presence of the paper trail of actual payments for UO gold will be hard to assail as far as EA or anybody else for that matter is concerned in dealing swift justice to these vile usurpers of the shard.

If we may just ask the people at EA whom we are sure are closely following the developments of this thread some questions.

First about these burning houses..who owns them? What were their crimes? And how were they found guilty which led to their houses being taken down? Without details on the matter we could just surmise the house merely had electrical problems do we? Sure we read at the patch that they were burned for crimes against the Kingdom however we have the right as citizens to know the WHO?WHY?and WHAT of the matter we feel. Less this could all be a pretty make up job to the real carnage of the shards wealth now going on.

Was there overwhelming "evidence" present before this type of action were taken? Does it far outweight the evidence being presented on the woes of this shard by some people on the issues pertaining to the Moonglow fiasco? Why anybody can just go stroll to the bank and buy a highly coveted Berserkers Scythe for 400K in the black market!

And what about the legitimate vendors? Do you think these occurances are fair to them at all? Please try not to hide on clouds up high and come on down and at least try to contact the complainants and at least assure them that things are being taken cared of. The saddest thing we would like to see or hear is for someone else trying to speak in your behalf as to why we are in this present status quo.

Do remember we pay our subscriptions to EA alone and we as legitimate subscribers would most definitely like to hear from you all. Not unless however EA has already designated someone here to speak in their behalf then we would accord that person all due respect and hear them out.

It's very simple to catch these bad eggs really dispensing with all the technical mumbo jumbo stuff. All a good abiding GM would do is go to the bank and have him taken over to the treasure house where you can find all you need. But do we have this kind of dedication at Origin? Well we hope so and do expect results soon before things really start getting out of hand.

It really is very plain if nobody out there can do nothing about it then just say so and leave us to decide if we would still want to play this game or not.

JOHO

-S-

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

True in this age of digital things can be altered to one's purpose, however the circumstantial evidence mated by reliable testimonies of credible eyewitnesses and of course the presence of the paper trail of actual payments for UO gold will be hard to assail as far as EA or anybody else for that matter is concerned in dealing swift justice to these vile usurpers of the shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where payments for UO gold matters. EA has said, repeatedly, that it is okay to sell in game goods for RL gold, it is not, however, legal to advertise you are doing so within the game.

<blockquote><hr>

First about these burning houses..who owns them? What were their crimes? And how were they found guilty which led to their houses being taken down? Without details on the matter we could just surmise the house merely had electrical problems do we? Sure we read at the patch that they were burned for crimes against the Kingdom however we have the right as citizens to know the WHO?WHY?and WHAT of the matter we feel. Less this could all be a pretty make up job to the real carnage of the shards wealth now going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

For legal reasons, they cannot release this information. Having worked for major corporations, I can tell you it would be a breach of privacy. They broke game rules, not real life rules, so "Putting their names out for the masses to abuse" would not be proper. That and names on accounts can be easily falsified. Especially using GTC, temporary credit cards you can get from Walgreens, etc. It does no good to reveal anyone because many times the accounts are under falsified names.

Why do you think there is no system that works in place to prevent banned players from creating new accounts that actually works? Because there are multitude of ways to get around it, all of which are just slaps on the wrists of the repeated offenders.

<blockquote><hr>

Was there overwhelming "evidence" present before this type of action were taken? Does it far outweight the evidence being presented on the woes of this shard by some people on the issues pertaining to the Moonglow fiasco? Why anybody can just go stroll to the bank and buy a highly coveted Berserkers Scythe for 400K in the black market!

[/ QUOTE ]
There was evidece in that Draconi and GMs were watching and monitoring what was going on. If a report, and repeated reports are filed with the proper means to the GMs and Draconi/Jeremy, believe me when I say that it will be looked into.

<blockquote><hr>

And what about the legitimate vendors? Do you think these occurances are fair to them at all? Please try not to hide on clouds up high and come on down and at least try to contact the complainants and at least assure them that things are being taken cared of. The saddest thing we would like to see or hear is for someone else trying to speak in your behalf as to why we are in this present status quo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course its not fair. Then again, I also don't think that the RNG is fair either for my luck getting items. It's not fair, but unless it's properly reported, the normal players cannot tell who the scammers are from the non-scammers (For the most part)

<blockquote><hr>

It's very simple to catch these bad eggs really dispensing with all the technical mumbo jumbo stuff. All a good abiding GM would do is go to the bank and have him taken over to the treasure house where you can find all you need. But do we have this kind of dedication at Origin? Well we hope so and do expect results soon before things really start getting out of hand.

It really is very plain if nobody out there can do nothing about it then just say so and leave us to decide if we would still want to play this game or not.

JOHO

-S-

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, tecnically it goes deeper than this. Just because a person can take him to house to house doesn't mean he owns those houses, doesn't mean he owns those accounts. It's likely, but not guaranteed. The GMs then have to get permission to do the needed research, etc etc etc.

The other problem is, now that this information has been dissimenated here about what we are doing and what people are reporting, do you HONESTLY think the guy is stupid enough not to create more accounts, divide stuff between it, move houses or do something else to prevent it? I know a few people who lost their homes loaded full of stuff and were upset due to me turning them in. *waves* Yes, I do some things to get the people responsible for scripting banned. I do it through documentation and through using the report harassment function etc.

I've also reported several major errors that are allowing things that shouldn't be allowed (can't go into details).

What do I do when I hear about events where scammers are doing thigns such as this? I protest and either don't go, or go and kill in a remote location so I don't get hit by the scammers.

Something to consider.

D

Daring

<blockquote><hr>

Thing is, tecnically it goes deeper than this. Just because a person can take him to house to house doesn't mean he owns those houses, doesn't mean he owns those accounts. It's likely, but not guaranteed. The GMs then have to get permission to do the needed research, etc etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated before, this person not only took me to these houses, but when we arrived there he would then log out the character that he was on and promptly bring on the owner of the house and grant me access. How could he do this if he didnt own the houses? He then was able to released locked bags to show me the contents of them...how did he do this if he was not the owner?

Another question...the GMs would have to get permission from whom to research? They could not have come and looked at what was inside the houses and made notes to as where they were and who the owners of said houses were? They could not have asked this person questions without getting permission first?

<blockquote><hr>

What do I do when I hear about events where scammers are doing thigns such as this? I protest and either don't go, or go and kill in a remote location so I don't get hit by the scammers.

Something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly the problem here isnt it? This person can continue to run honest players from event with his scams and dishonestly and we should "consider" either just not going or try to find some little corner of the event away from him so that he can continue peacefully cheating us all out of the enjoyment of the event? Isnt that just what he is wanting us to do?

Im sorry, but I dont think that I personally want to even "consider" doing that for him.

The sad part is that I know other players are doing just that. Alot of folks have simply stopped attending the event because it is almost pointless to go there when he is luring on you and you cant stay alive long enough to get any of the goods.

<blockquote><hr>

The other problem is, now that this information has been dissimenated here about what we are doing and what people are reporting, do you HONESTLY think the guy is stupid enough not to create more accounts, divide stuff between it, move houses or do something else to prevent it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This information was dissimenated here for the purpose of letting other players on the shard know what is going on and to alert them of this persons activities so that they could watch for him and report him as well.

We have also taken the correct avenues in reporting this to higher authorities in the game as well as posting information in this forum.

If this is a problem and we should cease to report to the community what is going on here, I for one, will not post anything else on this subject. It surely seems as we have hit a sour note with our posting and exposing this person.

G

Daring is absoultely RIGHT, If we applied Cassie's logic to the real world we would have drug dealers running rampant in all of our commmuinties and we would be scared to even try to leave our houses.
We can't just hide our heads in the sand and chalk this up to "OH well, It is just his play style" Me thinks there is something that is not well in game land when people just want to let things be.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying hide our heads in the sand. I am saying report it. Repeatedly. Report to Jeremy. Report it by mailing to [email protected]. Report it through the feedback option.

Report.
Report.
Report.

What I am saying is that waving a flag here and alerting him to you reporting it and everything he's done is going to make him take steps to not be caught. Because hey, just like real life, if a criminal thinks something is being done to catch him, they lay low, change their tactics, etc. That happens in UO too.

Do you honestly go waving flags at the drug dealers across the street and say "Hey drug dealer, I'm turning you in. You suck at life."??

No. You use Crime Stoppers. You tell the cops, you send in reports, either anonymously or otherwise, and you do so repeatedly till something gets DONE.

True, the case here with UO isn't going to causse a possible life threatening situation as the one in RL would, but in UO, people can cover their tracks, just like drug dealers in RL can, and tone down their operations etc.

Do I think you are wrong in doing what you are doing? Hell no.

Do I think there is a possibility that this person who "claims he owns" all those houses and then logs in on those houses might have access to friends accounts? Definitely. He might own them all. I won't argue that. He might not. There are many people who lack the common sense not to give people their account information, which will end up with them being burned in the end.

Is there a possibility that he has earned all this through legitimate in-game means and was trying to pull something on you? Yes, it's possible as well, though not likely. The unfortunate thing is, we, as players, don't have the ability to track these people and see if they are or aren't pulling our leg on how they got all the arties.

Is what he doing at Moonglow legal? All depends. Is it griefing? Yes. If it's griefing then it's illegal. If he's drawing spawn onto others with the intention to get them killed, it's illegal.

Keep in mind, I am as much against scripters and griefers and such as much or more than most of you. I also play devil's advocate. I ask the questons that the Developers and GMs have to ask and observer before they would even be able to consider banning someone. It's not fair, I know, but it's what they have to do. Weigh in the fact that they ban people, they loose a source of income, and you understand why they are so cautious.

Teens, well many people, but teens especially, like to brag and say they've done things they haven't done or aren't doing. So someone saying "I've got all this and I Got it through this" might sound good to them and give them some sort of trip, in the end they could just be covering up their many late hours hunting to get everything. I know this doesn't sound like the situation here, but it's a possibility.

What I was interested to see is that this isn't on U.Hall where it would get the most attention. It's not in the UO BUgs forum, where it would get a lot of attention. Is there a reason it's not there, because obviously if Origin players are being affected, in the end it won't just be limited to just us. It will affect everyone.

So, what do you do? I'm not gonna just ask a question and not provide a solution. Everytime he pulls a creature on you to kill you and hides, report him. Report him frequently and something will eventually happen.

However, his whole claim of "No one is going to get XYZ" items is bunk. I know many players on Origin who have been getting said items.

G

Ok, I see your point but at the same time one needs to alert the rest of the shard players to this behavior and point out that it is not exceptable to the rest of us. We need to be informed so we can avoid the situtation. If enough people know of this deception maybe we can limit who gets scammed by it.

D

Daring

???????

That is exactly what we are saying here that we have been doing. This is our main problem! We HAVE been reporting. I dont know how many times I have to say this...we HAVE been reporting and we have been reporting to several different people in several different ways.

As far as reporting this problem here in this forum...why not? Is it not, as you say, better to get multiple reports on this person in order to get someones attention than to just go on the word of one or two people on the shard? Is it not better that the citizens of this shard know why they are being lured on at the event?

We dont want to draw attention to this problem here? Im sorry that I was under the assumtion this board was here as a way of keeping up with what was happening in the game.

Maybe some people dont understand that it is NOT just me, nor is it NOt just Sel that has been reporting this behavior. I know for a fact that one day at the event at least two entire guilds were sending reports on this persons activites there. (and those are just what know, who knows how many others were sending messages to the Gms)

Bottom line is this....it is becoming increasingly discouraging to try to make this game a better place to play and to try to do what is right when the responses we are getting is that we are doing wrong and being igornant for doing so.

Yes, we are waving that flag! I do hope he sees it and know for a fact that he has seen it. If nothing else gets done about him, at least he will feel the pressure of having to hide his dealings a bit better and having to always be "looking over his shoulder" as he runs his scams and advertises his goods right on the game. At least we know he is feeling that sting.

I dont what difference it makes if we had of posted this story on this forum or posted it on UOBUGs, either way Im sure there would have been the same responses and Im sure that this person would have seen it or at least been told about it. UOBUGS is probably more popular and gets more hits than our small forum here. (ours is still a great forum though!)

We have recieved alot of good advise here from people like Orvago and GW, but Im very discouraged myself with being told that essentually, there is not much that can be done about this, that it is just too hard to prove and that all that has been said and shown to me was probably not even true.

I will end now by saying, "At least I tried". I feel Like I have done all I can do and if nothing can be done, then I can at least feel as though I did the right thing anyway.

S

Seleukos

Cassie

You say REPORT,REPORT,REPORT why that is what we are doing here in case you didn't get the drift hehe.

You know you don't take a shower when fire hits your house in the same manner we here the real concerned citizens of Origin believe that the time for talk (REPORT) is over, action is the name of the game.

Of course we are just a tiny voice in the ocean which is EA however it is they who has given us this forum in order that we may all be heard.

Now running away to avoid the usurpers scamming is a coward's way which apparently you have chosen.This of course plays into their plans to scare whinning lil' yellow necks out of the game.

Do remember that even if a man may fall..he also cannot yield! We say we all do something about the problem and not be part of it. Your views and opinions are well taken for this may even be the path others may choose.

However, but as for me and my friends we will live up to the faith.

JOHO

-S-

D

Daring

Just an update to this situation...Now this person is making personal threats to me in game. He tells me his is going to "take care of me" , "Fix Me" etc. (along with calling me ******, and a few other choice names)

Yes, I have paged and yet nothing! I sent messages of harrassing and took screenshots of him threatening and also screenhots of my journal. Still...generic reply that they will look into the matter.

Today, I received an e-mail from EA saying "thank you for updating your account or purchasing from EA games" using this e-mail address. Problem is that I have not changed any info on my account or purchased anything from them. I then tried to go change info on my account and it wont let me.

Im hoping that he isnt trying to do something with my UO accounts as I havent done anything with EA to constitute getting this e-mail from them. Im hoping this is just a mistake of some kind on thier part.

It is sad to think that he is so sure of himself that he could even try to do more than he does. But it is like all children....if they are allowed to continue doing things they shouldnt, they will.

G

You need to make sure you can access your account info immediately! Change your password, immediately! If you cannot, call customer support immediately! Make sure you have full access to your account and change your password.

D

Daring

I know it scares me but, I couldnt get customer service on the phone beings it is a weekend and for some reason when I went to the update page to change password and info, it let me put the new info in, I hit OK , but it wont update. I have gone back several times and tried this but to no avail.

Im stuck until tomarrow as far as reaching anyone to try to get help with this.

Thanks for your advise GW! It is always welcome.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
best options change email uo responds to and your password no good way for changing account name and run a few spy checker/adaware programs !!!!!!!!

G

RTLFC

Looks like I need to specify, no mentioning of Player Names, that includes character names, account names, guild names or forum names when it comes to any type of accusation. Even if it is just "How the heck does he own so many houses?"

Thanks,
GW

G

Theres a bug that i dont think im allowed to post here, but it involves hitting stuff in rift when its almost dead and getting all the looting rights.

G

I don't think it is a bug but an exploit. I quit going there after the first week.

G

Glimps

Has anyone seen all the property house signs that are labeled "Tyrant" There is someone or a group that owns many houses in Origin. I have watched a character stand there and speak to him or her self , to a second character. I have been aware of that or those who have been running more than one account at a time and have spoken to other players about it. The only problem is , I may be speaking to that same player all the time and not be aware of it. So recently when approached about a Guild and its players the only thing I could say is, "You can be sure , you will not know who to trust"

G

There have been several discussions about Tyrant in the past. Search for 'Tyrant' and you should find a few posts. I'd say he/she is one of those players who tries to capitalize on UO real-estate. I believe at one point someone counted like 100 houses on Origin in Tyrant's name. Obviously the person just creates a character named Tyrant on every account to place a house with and they want to make sure everyone knows who it is. There is little to trust or not to trust about this situation. With secure house trading it wouldn't matter who owned the house since only the owner could put the house in a trade window. With the one per account housing limit in UO this person must spend a fortune in game codes and subscription fees but with 3 accounts myself who am I to judge.

However trust in UO is a difficult thing. First of all there is no unique naming structure, if you trade with Ghost Writer in game you have no clue if it's really me. Anyone can create a character named Ghost Writer. Having a guild name attached to the character helps, but is still no guarantee in some cases. If it's really an issue exchange ICQ numbers with the person so you have an alternative method of communication. Then you could ICQ the person and ask if this is really their character you are trading with.

Then there is also the matter of multiple characters per account. You have no idea if the Illustrious Lord Honesty you are considering buying a Power Scroll from is not the Dread Lord Sticky Fingers who just stole one from you at your last champ spawn. (Disclaimer: Both of those names are intended to be fictional, I have no idea if either of those characters exist on any shard.)

D

Daring

You know, Ghost Writer, you have raised a very important point in this thread about characters being able to have the same names.

I, myself, have always believed that it would be a deterrent to some of the illigal activites and such in the game if we were NOT allowed to make characters with the same name. I know other games that do not allow this for these same reasons.

It would certainly, if nothing else, help the problem of distrust amoung us if all characters had to have specific names and no one could use your UO name to pretend to be someone else.

p.s. Keep throwing out those suggestions and maybe someone will see them!

G

As online gaming progressed, game developers realized that unique names were important. Unfortunately that can't be changed in UO, too late. So we have to be a little more cautious in our dealings.