• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ORIGIN CLOSED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pyrrhus

Again friends for no apparent reason some of our friends from other shards on business or travel have been inconvenienced by the fact that they cannot access ORIGIN shard in order to effect a transfer using their EXPENSIVE tokens.

Time and again this has been the case the snag is that no announcement from UO or any logical explanations are given to anyone who inquires as to why this delay is being experienced.

We do hope owing to the frequency and rather irritating manner players are being subjected to suffer these delays is not going to be detrimental to the commerce and influx of tourism to our beloved shard.

UO?GM's anybody please shed some light it will be greatly appreciated like a tylenol for a nagging headache.

A

Arnie QuickPalm

anytime we get the patch before the rest of the shards this happens as it should

B

blerick

anytime we get the patch before the rest of the shards this happens as it should
Yes, its always been that way, until the shards have the same publish , the xshard transfer to and from origin won't work. nothing new here.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As the others said, Origin is always the first to get the patch and test it. We are the guinea pigs. It was announced early yesterday that they were pulling the shard down to patch it They did so and now it's closed till all other shards are patched.

It's nothing new.

P

Pyrrhus

Hehe of course it's nothing new and the posting made are sure re-assuring.

We only do hope it's an official thingy coz we keep getting feedback to post a bug whenever we go to help.

The question remains however that we are all still in the dark as to why this should be so?

In the meantime for the sake of progress people affected will just have to wait eh? Good show for paying customers we say.

Poor guinea pigs are we don't you think?

C

Chaucer of TS

Hehe of course it's nothing new and the posting made are sure re-assuring.

We only do hope it's an official thingy coz we keep getting feedback to post a bug whenever we go to help.

The question remains however that we are all still in the dark as to why this should be so?

In the meantime for the sake of progress people affected will just have to wait eh? Good show for paying customers we say.

Poor guinea pigs are we don't you think?

The purpose for having the transfers shut down to or from Origin while it has new patches is so people can't exploit the new patch by transferring things from Origin to other shards that shouldn't have those items yet. It's a perfectly logical and reasonable rule to have in place. Sorry you seem to feel like this is a personal affront to you.

G

Ghost_Writer

Another purpose is to avoid bugs being transfered to other production shards. Origin residents know they get stuff first to test it and make sure it works. If something goes wrong you wouldn't a bug exported to other shards.

P

Pyrrhus

The purpose for having the transfers shut down to or from Origin while it has new patches is so people can't exploit the new patch by transferring things from Origin to other shards that shouldn't have those items yet. It's a perfectly logical and reasonable rule to have in place. Sorry you seem to feel like this is a personal affront to you.
Oh this is really acceptable as an explanation however it would be more credible coming from the administrators/GM's themselves once anyone asks don't you think so?

Nothing really personal since the whole shard is really affected with the travel ban you know. We are just thinking out aloud here, why not rotate the inconvenience eh? Why hold Origin as the sole proprietor for such inconvenience. It's like we are the dumping ground for bloopers bugs in the game hehe. Am sure this is enough reason for players to shun this shard too.

As aptly put WE are the guinea pigs of UO perhaps an appropriate reward creature should be in order eh? What do you think?

:D

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When Origin was created, 3? or so years ago, they blatantly told everyone, under no points of confusion, that Origin was the "live test shard". People could play there and live there and it is a production shard, however, it would always be the test shard to get all publishes first.

That was Origin's design, a new server that would serve as the test shard.

The reason the shard is so small is there were never a lot of people to begin with, then a lot of the players have either left the game or transfered elsewhere because there was not enough PVP/whatever for them.

Origin is always the busiest right after a patch. I think everyone here agrees that its better to patch a single shard each time and make it the same shard instead of having to play a guessing game as to who's going to loose their stuff first.

Cheers!

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not new, Pyrrus. It has been always so. I am sorry you will have to wait awhile to cross shard stuff. Enjoy your stay here until then(assuming you are visting from another shard).

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh this is really acceptable as an explanation however it would be more credible coming from the administrators/GM's themselves once anyone asks don't you think so?
They do not need to for it is already stated officially here, under section 5:

http://support.uo.com/charactertransfer.html
• You cannot transfer your character to a shard that is currently running a different version of the server. (These differences are often temporary, and on such occasions we ask that you please wait for your shard to be updated to the same version of the server or select a different destination shard.)

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They do not need to for it is already stated officially here, under section 5:

http://support.uo.com/charactertransfer.html
• You cannot transfer your character to a shard that is currently running a different version of the server. (These differences are often temporary, and on such occasions we ask that you please wait for your shard to be updated to the same version of the server or select a different destination shard.)
There you go, Pyrrhus, an Official statement as per your request.

F

Flora Green

Why hold Origin as the sole proprietor for such inconvenience. It's like we are the dumping ground for bloopers bugs in the game hehe. Am sure this is enough reason for players to shun this shard too.

As aptly put WE are the guinea pigs of UO perhaps an appropriate reward creature should be in order eh? What do you think?

:D
We're supposed to get the bloopers and bugs. That's the purpose of Origin. If they rotated it, there wouldn't really be a reason for this shard to even exist considering what it was created for. Why should you be rewarded for choosing to live here?

P

Pyrrhus

Why Flora, you ask why one should be rewarded for living here? I say why not? It's better than begging for donations don't you think? :D:lick:

Orvago, thank you for the re-direct on the provision regarding the transfer trust us we will send this info to the poor souls concerned :D. I believe everything's normal now and transfers are okie dokey.

gunner, thanks however for your info am not a visitor at the shard didn't you know hehe. I was already here before you transferred from pac just to refresh your memory. Thanks but no thanks for your inputs because I do know how to read what Orvago said you need not be redundant ok.

All's well that ends well eh guys? Thanks for making this thread relevant to say the very least.

As for me this thread is CLOSED!

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pleasure. Please don't hesitate to ask questions in the future. I'm pretty fluent at finding answers through searches, the knowledge-base, and contacts -- having done this since my days as a Counselor for Oceania.

*Orvago smiles*

C

Crystal Canyon

I guess I must be one of the people ruining the shard. I started playing on Origin about two years ago and finally transferred a character over from another shard about six months ago. I guess I'll just make myself scarce so I don't "ruin" anyone's day.

Sheesh.
Whoah...nothing personal meant and no one said it was the people that come here to stay who are the problem.

I think from the beginning, that all of the people that wanted to move to the new shard (Origin) should have come and that been it.

The problem that I have seen with the transfers is that Origin especially, gets "farmed" like stealing candy from a baby.

Everytime there is a shard event, we are bombarded with folks that make characters here, then when it is over, they take all the leet items back to the bigger shards to make a profit. They do this because the events are easier to do here due to the small population.

We also get a good share of the exploits and scripters because the shard is so low in population that it is easier for them to hide out to do such things without someone catching them and turning them in.

My remarks to Gunner may have sounded rude, but the truth is I was just giving him some crap and he knows it. We are in the same guild and he is used to it by now...LOL...he will kill me in the bank someday and pay me back but until then, he will just have to get me back here on the boards.:sad3:

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoah...nothing personal meant and no one said it was the people that come here to stay who are the problem.

I think from the beginning, that all of the people that wanted to move to the new shard (Origin) should have come and that been it.

The problem that I have seen with the transfers is that Origin especially, gets "farmed" like stealing candy from a baby.

Everytime there is a shard event, we are bombarded with folks that make characters here, then when it is over, they take all the leet items back to the bigger shards to make a profit. They do this because the events are easier to do here due to the small population.

We also get a good share of the exploits and scripters because the shard is so low in population that it is easier for them to hide out to do such things without someone catching them and turning them in.

My remarks to Gunner may have sounded rude, but the truth is I was just giving him some crap and he knows it. We are in the same guild and he is used to it by now...LOL...he will kill me in the bank someday and pay me back but until then, he will just have to get me back here on the boards.:sad3:
I would never kill a guildmember *crosses fingers behind his back* intentionally.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So just the old vets, eh? Not the people who started playing after Origin opened up and picked another shard when they started because they flat out didn't know the differences between the shards? Do you really mean to say that you think EA should make it so that any of them that want to play Origin now would have to abandon any characters they made elsewhere and stuff they've collected and start out from scratch on Origin if they want to make it their new home shard?

C

Crystal Canyon

So just the old vets, eh? Not the people who started playing after Origin opened up and picked another shard when they started because they flat out didn't know the differences between the shards? Do you really mean to say that you think EA should make it so that any of them that want to play Origin now would have to abandon any characters they made elsewhere and stuff they've collected and start out from scratch on Origin if they want to make it their new home shard?
NO.1 I never said anything at all about old vets. Have no idea where you conjured that up.

No.2 If you think about it, when UO was designed, you chose a shard and that is where you played, unless you also made characters on other shards. Shard transfers are fairly new actually, and we all survived not transfering characters and still enjoyed the game. Many people still play characters on several shards and have never transfered any. Fact is, when Origin opened you could not transfer here.

And yes, we left everything behind and started from scratch. Transfers didnt start for a year I believe, after Origin was developed. So yes, again, if you wanted to make Origin your new home, you came and you made new characters.

I dont see why your taking opinions so personally, but I stand by my opinon just the same.

No one has blamed you personally for anything, but people do come here and take advantage of our small shard. Thats just the way it is.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, that was the way it was done before you could shard transfer, and when I moved here, I abandoned 4 good characters on my other shard. I didn't want too move all 5. Dear lady, we are are happy you have made your move here, I hope that we can be friends.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not feel transfers as a whole were bad for our Origin Shard Fragment, on the contrary, I think allowing Transfers allowed Veterans to find a new home and make a great Community on Origin without the feeling of having to start over from scratch completely (that's kinda what Siege Perilous is for, if Origin was an SP Ruleset Shard Fragment, then I'd feel differently and wouldn't agree to transfers at all).

Even though, I myself transferred over and brought with me 90% of my collection, I still feel that allowing items to accompany the character in the transfer is what has caused a backlash.

Transfers (any Shard Fragment) should have been Naked Transfers, only allowing Pets (for to many Tamers, pets are just as precious as the characters themselves).

Just my personal opinion and I know it sounds a bit hypocritical, because I transferred most of my characters from the Baja Shard Fragment, bringing with me most of my 10+ years of items. The option was there, and well, being the collector I was, I couldn't resist.

C

Crystal Canyon

I do not feel transfers as a whole were bad for our Origin Shard Fragment, on the contrary, I think allowing Transfers allowed Veterans to find a new home and make a great Community on Origin without the feeling of having to start over from scratch completely (that's kinda what Siege Perilous is for, if Origin was an SP Ruleset Shard Fragment, then I'd feel differently and wouldn't agree to transfers at all).

Even though, I myself transferred over and brought with me 90% of my collection, I still feel that allowing items to accompany the character in the transfer is what has caused a backlash.

Transfers (any Shard Fragment) should have been Naked Transfers, only allowing Pets (for to many Tamers, pets are just as precious as the characters themselves).

Just my personal opinion and I know it sounds a bit hypocritical, because I transferred most of my characters from the Baja Shard Fragment, bringing with me most of my 10+ years of items. The option was there, and well, being the collector I was, I couldn't resist.
Thats exactly what im saying...its not the people who came here to make a new home on the shard, it is the fact that items can be transfered off that is causing the problem here.

If people couldnt come here only with the thought of making a ton of gold when they transfer all thier newly aquired goods when they left, we would have more resourses on this shard and less illigal activities going on.

When transfers were finally available I transfered only one character out of two accounts just so that I could bring my collectables here. I was already attached to my new characters here and I didnt want to replace them.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crystal, I've been struggling for well over an hour to try to respond to your comments and I just can't come up with the right words. I guess I'll just stick with saying that I applaud you for caring so much about Origin.

R

Rix/\

I didn't mean for anyone to take offense to my post

It's just one of those things where you would of had to been here during that time when transfers opened.

I understand players wanting things they've collected over the years, I personally enjoyed starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.