• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Orc Lighthouse Bugged?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it reasonable to assume once all the orcs are dead that the cannons stop firing at you?

Apparently not, they still do even though there is NO-ONE ALIVE TO FIRE THEM

Should it also take 30+ mins of flame strikes and GD casting on it to get it down to 76%??

Dev team, do you test ANYTHING before it goes live?

Complete JOKE, please fix

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is it reasonable to assume once all the orcs are dead that the cannons stop firing at you?

Should it also take 30+ mins of flame strikes and GD casting on it to get it down to 76%??

That happens in one of two situations. When the plunderbeacon is too close to shore or too close to a zoneline. I believe they are trying to resolve it. I would avoid the ones in those locations until then or just quickly kill the orcs so it will despawn faster

I would also re-exam your tactics for the plunder beacon. There is an easier way.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That happens in one of two situations. When the plunderbeacon is too close to shore or too close to a zoneline. I believe they are trying to resolve it. I would avoid the ones in those locations until then or just quickly kill the orcs so it will despawn faster

I would also re-exam your tactics for the plunder beacon. There is an easier way.
I have noticed the same thing. Close to shore, or close to server line. I have also had the Plunder beacon "die" with NO chest, in the same spots. :( @Kyronix @Bleak

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In regards to the "do the devs test anything" comment by the OP above:

Remember, they are a small team. They test what they can, but they also can't spend their entire time testing, or no new content would ever get completed. This is why they put the content to Test Center and ask players to check it out. This also isn't unique to UO, just about every game I can think of that has rotating content, also has a Test Server. Even WoW brought in players and raiding guilds to test new content before it was released and they had a huge QA department.

There is also a huge difference in testing something that you know how it is supposed to work vs testing something that you are unfamiliar with. The Devs can look at the content and go through a checklist of what is supposed to happen, and if it does, that may satisfy their initial tests. Players are unpredictable and will do things in ways no one could predict, and they will come up with tactics that may break the game, etc. This is why player testing in any game is important. I'm not speaking blindly on this either, I am a former lead QA tester for an unnamed video game company. No one can break a game like a player looking for an advantage in new content. The good testers are the ones that report these advantages and not just keep them for their own personal gain.

Test Center is open to all. Hop on when they release new content and give it a try for an hour. If you find something not working, they listen well on the official forums. But to fix something it has to be reproducible. "X happened, fix it!" with no other details really helps no one. Even if you do not know why something happened, giving details you may find meaningless could be the key to the Devs fixing the issue.

For what it's worth, I did tons of testing on TC this patch and was one of the people who did report the Plunderbeacon continuing to fire bug as well as the no crate drop bug. The problem is/was, it wasn't until it went live and enough people were doing the content, that we were able to piece together that proximity to a shore or server line was causing the issue (and even then it is not 100% consistent).

Even with that new information, how close is "close", it is still an unknown variable. I have had bugged beacons that were literally right next to the shore, and bugged beacons that were about 1 screen away from shore. But at the same time, I've had beacons that work fine somewhere in between that. I've had firing beacons that also dropped crates, but non-firing beacons that did not drop a crate. The problem also may not present itself if the Devs manually spawn a plunderbeacon near the shore, maybe it only happens with an RNG spawn that appears near the shore, who knows.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

yep, they test everything, the Cannons on that ship you used to get there do between 5000 and 6500 damage per shot. takes em out in 10-11 shots depending on how much damage you do to it with weapons/pets.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did find an orc ship last night that was invulnerable, wasted ammo thinking it was just me..never entered the pre scuttled stage. As for the plunderthingies...I did one today, it took forever. I don't think it's right that a spell from an orc mage can hit me when I'm out of arrow range.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did find an orc ship last night that was invulnerable, wasted ammo thinking it was just me..never entered the pre scuttled stage. As for the plunderthingies...I did one today, it took forever. I don't think it's right that a spell from an orc mage can hit me when I'm out of arrow range.
These take me less than 10 minutes solo Garth. what type of char are you using to take out the Orcs?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We do one side at a time. And one orc at a time. We had one that the orc mage from the other side was hitting me. Also had an orc ship disappear to 2 players on the ship but I could see it. We went off screen to try to fix that but the orc ship disappeared.

There are some minor bugs that can't be easily reproduced.

Also if in a group I advise the captain to not go afk at the wheel. 2 plunder beacons spawned next to us and we were running around saying O pancake and couldn't move the ship. Luckily they came back in time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

"I would also re-exam your tactics for the plunder beacon. There is an easier way."

May I ask what would this easier way be ?

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did one today in tokuo - and got no chests either...it just vanished all... so i thought that was normal...

- what is the loot in the chests? Ill try again tomm then... if its decent loot in it.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did one today in tokuo - and got no chests either...it just vanished all... so i thought that was normal...

- what is the loot in the chests? Ill try again tomm then... if its decent loot in it.
there isn't anything in them, they are the loot. you turn them in to a city trade minister for Gold n Glory, or sell it to the Pirates of Buc's Den for pirate treasure.