• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Opinions on suit for RP-centric archer

Pepe the Strange

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

So, like many I'm trying to come back after being away from the game for a few years, and there is a lot that I don't remember. I'm going to be playing an archer/ranger type character primarily for RP purposes, but don't want him to be completely useless. It is a new character on a new (to me) shard, so I'm leaving my developed characters on my home shard. This character will ONLY be used in the context of small group hunts, and EM events (I don't care about getting the drops). This is what I will be working with (eventually):

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy
120 Swords
100 Healing
100 Alchemy

Clearly, without Chivalry and Bushido I'm limiting myself in terms of damage dealing (somewhat made up by pot chucking depending on the situation). I've also got skill points to work with. I haven't seen anyone trying to run an archer without at least Chiv or Bush since, well, those became options. My resources are somewhat limited. Given the limitations I'm facing here, does anyone have any recommendations for equipment that, ideally, would not cost an arm and a leg? What properties should I focus on? I'm assuming SSI, HML, and HCI are the most important (EP is a given with Alchemy)? Basically looking for a suit building strategy that is clean and can the most out of this type of character.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but at some point in a game this old you do the stupid things for fun :p

Thanks for any advice.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Nothing stupid about it, it's often in these types of builds that discoveries of new techniques are found.

I'd say from the off, looking purely at the RP element, I'd go with an Elf character and use their two bows exclusively OR if you go Human then I'd use Yumi exclusively and dress like a Samurai/Ninja this would also cross over nicely with using Swords as you could use Katana for example (I don't see any reason why you would have to have Bushido or Ninjitsu on there to adopt their look). That has nothing to do with any practicality of specials or anything like that and is purely my 2c on the aesthetics.

Being an Alchemist I would assume you're going to need the Balanced property on your bows and two-handed swords so that you can make the most out of them.

On your gear/suit (if it were me) I'd take the E.P. and Balanced as essentials. Then work out the SSI/Stamina needs of the bows you intend to use and build from there. You also have to consider whether you want to factor in continual/constant use of Greater Str/Dex potions while fighting, because with Alchemy/E.P. you will gain 36 Str/Dex from potions, so if you want to get your Str/Dex to 150 you might build your suit to give 114 Str/Dex before potions (giving you 72 more points you can put into Int). That said I usually advocate having Str as high as possible because it is directly tied to your HP. Also, you may want your Dex to always be over 140 for the fastest bandage speeds, so that's something else you need to consider how much you over/under cap by (especially factoring in getting Cursed/Weakened/Clumsey'd without Resist).

Once you know your Dex/Stamina needs you can figure out where you can get those stats on your suit. I would start from the assumption of Imbuing 8 Stamina on your armour (leaving out the head slot for an Artifact). Whether or not you need SSI on your weapons, and how much, relative to how much you can get on your suit. A good place to start would be the jewelry, it should be fairly easy to get 10 SSI/25 E.P./15 HCI jewelry and you might even be able to get some Str/Dex/Stamina on there too. Alternatively you can try and get skill increase jewelry and fit another skill on your template. I'm not sure what else would really compliment that build (assuming that you definitely don't want Bushido or Chivalry) Ninjitsu would be good but it may not fit with your RP for the same reason as Bushido, though it is a nice stand alone skill with many benefits to a build like this, Spellweaving would be also.

You may want to consider DCI for when you are using Swords.

You will want to consider the type of armour you use in relation to the bonus LMC or Stamina protection you can get.

In addition to Greater Explosion potions, depending on the fight, you may want to also use Conflag potions, however, if the target is a monster that counter attacks this will be a bad idea.

On your weapons you may want reforged 100% elemental bows, especially if you go with Yumi, you could potentially hit Onsalught with your Sword then Double Shot them with the bow. The way to get the most out of your weapons would be to Reforge, POF, Imbue, and then Enhance (using a Forged Metal Of Artifacts) though this can be costly. Because of the potential limits on the template it leaves you needing a lot of properties on the weapons, you may need to Whetstone DI off of the bows for more space if you can make it up on the suit. You're likely to need DI (if not on suit), SSI (if not on suit), Balanced (for your pots), Slayers/Supers (because you have no Bushido/Chivalry), HML (you might not have much Imbuing weight left for this), HLL (if you need extra health), HLD (if you don't have it on suit and can't hit much).

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
while the Yumi idea is nice both special moves of the yumi require 50 bushido or ninjitsu and since he doesn't want these on his template...

Pepe the Strange

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Some of this sounds familiar, and a lot of it is giving me something to think about. It sounds like it won't be TOO difficult to maximize a limited build, I just need to make some decisions about weapons and (maybe) another skill and go from there.

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get going :p

Mayhem_wushu

Adventurer
With a rp toon you could always go the route of a man of mystery type. A hooded robe could conceal more than just your face.

With a 680 point build you have 40 points to play with. That is not counting any artifacts such as a hunters headdress and captain John hat, they both pack 20 points, obviously you can switch head gear as you do weapons. in 3d that is 1 key. with the tweak of gear your extra 40 points becomes 80 (and 85 if you do a despicable quiver) This way you could still have chiv or bushido or ninja or whetever you need. Personally id go the chiv route for EoO, and just having the ability to sacred journey.

I know that Im late to the discussion but thats my thoughts.