• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Opinion

J

[JD]

So a few things have changed while I was gone. Magic Resist is listed as being good against curses etc but it doesn't implicitly state it resists damaging spells, yet when I take direct damage, it trains upwards. Does it protect against direct damage spells and should I still strive for high magic resist?

Second question, what do you all think about archery on a caster? Right now I have Fencing to occasionally beat something down, but I'm thinking, why am I getting up close and personal when I can do it from far away...

Thanks for opinions

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot has changed since the old days. Magic resist no longer protects you from damaging spells, save nox. Spell damage as well as physical damage can be reduced by armor resist. Having 70 in each (which is the hard cap) or adding more to compensate from curses such as corpse skin is the only route.

Having high Magic Resist is probably one of the best choices you can make on developing a mage character.

As far as Archer Mages - You don't see to many of those around, being that you could get a good initial combo going, but with all the cat and mouse chasing you will find that you will hardly get a shot off.

You have several choices as far as templates and some you will find can be very dependent on items.

Overall I believe the most powerful mage template is still the NecroMage, however other templates like a tactics mage can be still viable in a heavy dexer laden field.

Many here can help you get caught up to speed on the game, templates, gear and tactics. Welcome back.

J

[JD]

Magic resist no longer protects you from damaging spells, save nox. ...

Having high Magic Resist is probably one of the best choices you can make on developing a mage character.
Hey Lefty, thanks for your insight. So just to clarify, when you say having high magic resist you mean from items - not the skill?

Should I just train the Magic Resist Skill down to 0 since it doesn't seem too useful? Mine's around 50something now.

It may be a good long while before I'm PVP ready, lol. Right now I'm focused on getting started - money, learning the ropes, etc.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking about doing a NOX mage with a template of

120 Magery
100 Med
120 EI
100 Resist
100 Spirit Speak
60 wresting
100 poisoning

but now sence you say resist is kinda pointless I am thinking about 120 magery 100 med 120 EI 100 tactics 100 mace 60 wrestling and 100 poison

any thoughts?