• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Opening a chest : what triggers luck effect ?

Lordela

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi,
One question about luck and the way it works for treasure hunters : when is calculated the luck effect on the treasure founded in chests ?
- when you DROP the map (monsters' loot) ?
- when you FIND the chest ?
- When you either lockpick / disarm trap ?
- When you OPEN the chest ?
I'm a +1500 luck mage / treasure hunter and I don't really feel the "luck" effect (compare to zero chance).
What is your opinion ?

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read that it is when the chest spawns (comes out of the ground), but to not take chances I wear my luck suit when I lockpick it as well. Something to keep in mind is that luck is all or nothing; either the rng bumps up all of the loot from the chest or none of it.

Uoguide has a good write-up on how luck factors, and how much you need to have 50% or higher to get the loot bump.
That is located here: Luck - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From Kyronix himself:

"The luck of whomever digs up the chest, at the moment they dig it up is used to calculate loot intensity. At the core, loot from mobs and in treasure chests is generated the same, the numbers that factor into those calculations for intensity however, are generated differently."

LINK

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Kyronix went on to clarify the chest loot luck is generated the moment the first shovel dig hits the ground, and not when the chest pops up.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very useful information and I would suppose that if a paragon drops a chest it's the luck of the person that killed it that matters and not the person unlocking it or the person opening it ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
RE: Paragon chests

Yep - the luck of the person killing it, if not partied and a solo kill. If multiple attackers or partied, I believe it follows the luck bump rules for those situation.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
RE: Paragon chests

Yep - the luck of the person killing it, if not partied and a solo kill. If multiple attackers or partied, I believe it follows the luck bump rules for those situation.
Which is really weird, because I have a ~2400 luck suit on my disco tamer that I use to farm Miasma, and she gets poo from chests. lol Although I suppose Miasma chests are probably just poo because of how much people farm them.

On the other hand this answered my question! I need to figure out a luck suit for my THunter! :D

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Which is really weird, because I have a ~2400 luck suit on my disco tamer
Personally I think there are issues with Tamers and luck. I can drop Mel, Trav and other high end critters on my tamer with a 2600 luck suit and never get anything worth taking off the body. I can go hit those same areas with my Sampire (even without honoring the critter) and get some really nice pieces with a 1900 luck suit pretty frequently.... and before folks start with the "RNG" stuff.. this is not some occasional happening, I can not remember the last time I looted a nice piece with my tamer... and I play the Tamer WAY more than the Sampire. My money is on the code being goofed up to where the "luck" applied to the kill is whatever luck the pet has because it is the attacker.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Personally I think there are issues with Tamers and luck. I can drop Mel, Trav and other high end critters on my tamer with a 2600 luck suit and never get anything worth taking off the body. I can go hit those same areas with my Sampire (even without honoring the critter) and get some really nice pieces with a 1900 luck suit pretty frequently.... and before folks start with the "RNG" stuff.. this is not some occasional happening, I can not remember the last time I looted a nice piece with my tamer... and I play the Tamer WAY more than the Sampire. My money is on the code being goofed up to where the "luck" applied to the kill is whatever luck the pet has because it is the attacker.
Hmm... I've killed Navrey and wind elementals in shame since coming back and seem to get some lesser, greater and major artifacts. I usually hit the thing a couple times with spells or disco as well though. But miasma has dropped some ok items as well - just not in its chest. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out what is "good" and what isn't... This might be something a dev could at least take a peak at? Not sure what Dev that would be though.

I'll have to see what happens when I start doing some Tmaps! :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Which is really weird, because I have a ~2400 luck suit on my disco tamer that I use to farm Miasma, and she gets poo from chests. lol Although I suppose Miasma chests are probably just poo because of how much people farm them.

On the other hand this answered my question! I need to figure out a luck suit for my THunter! :D
Really.
just..... really?
and just for the record i did not give Miasma anything.

(hahahaha)