• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] The Vampire vs. Werewolf Lore

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I'd share this here since I saw it come up on a Uhall topic:

Twilight isn't the creator of the vampire vs. werewolf lore. Meyer happened to have used that lore in her books... and subsequently the movies, also the movies of Underworld/World of Darkness --- Vampires vs. Lycans --- used the same lore as well. It has been more evident in the scripts and literally writings of recent time however...

There have been allusions to a battle between vampires and werewolves called the Trajanic Wars. In 101-102 and 105-106, there were two short wars between the Roman Empire during Trajan’s rule, and the Dacian kingdom, which had become a threat to the Empire. It was said that during that event the Dacian vampires betrayed the werewolves, which were their servants, to the Romans, and this unforgiveable act caused werewolves and vampires to become eternal enemies. Though the Trajanic War (also called the Dacian War) is a true part of history, the vampire and werewolf angle, of course, is only a myth.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can learn more about the Vampire and Werewolf Trope - or Fur Against Fang - and its use in Fiction here.

It is a theme I hope to explore in more depth on Baja. We have a new group of Wolves. And I just so happen to know a Vampire.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When dealing with our vampire and werewolf lore for the Twilight Fellowship and our Ultima stories, I began by making vampirism a necromantic form that was sought after by our primary villain, Aritoth El-Bashir. He was seeking to become a god, to live eternal and yet still enjoy all the pleasures of life. Becoming a lich would let you live forever, but it was a cold existance. For werewolves, we were thinking of making it a similar bid for immortality but on the part of druids rather than necromancers.

The interesting thing is that both forms seem to be the result of a disease or infection. Werewolves almost remind us of a rabies infection. We're still working on all these ideas, but it'd be interesting to see what other RPers do with this type of lore.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many years ago I remember reading about the linkages between vampire mythology and werewolf mythology, in the pages of the Dungeons and Dragons magazine known as The Dragon. Regrettably I remember nothing of that article save this.....Some of the mythologies said that, sometimes, you would kill a werewolf only to have it rise as a vampire a few nights later. And, thus, you would find yourself faced with a new, and likely more powerful, adversary.

And, one would suppose, two evil bloodlines that are now distinct but undeniably linked.

-Galen's player

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting... it does seem like that's the preferred lore that a lot of folks do accept and build upon --- the virus/affliction of vampires and werewolves.

Anne Rice famously wrote the story of the evil spirit Amel that "inflicted" Akasha and thus turning her husband Enkil into a vampire. So for Ricean lore, it is an affliction... vampirism.

Len Wiseman of course wrote about how Alexander Corvinus was able to progenate vampires and werewolves through a strain mutation in his DNA that then merged and molded with a bat and a wolf in two of his three sons, thus Marcus being the first vampire, and William being the first werewolf. He also speaks of a hybrid of vampire and werewolf.

Mark Rein·Hagen, of course the creator of Vampire the Masquerade, wrote about how Cain was "cursed" by God after refusing to repent for having murdered his brother Abel. Dating back to the creation of life... accroding the Bible. :)

I am not sure that much is known about the origin of Werewolves from WOD... anyone?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting... it does seem like that's the preferred lore that a lot of folks do accept and build upon --- the virus/affliction of vampires and werewolves.
I have read that the notion of vampirism, at least, as a kind of disease, in the physical sense, dates to a novel which I've never read called I Am Legend. This book has been adapted to film at least 3 times, see here, here, and here. And God knows the notion has appeared in other vehicles, such as Blade.

I frankly find this to be an inferior, if understandable, version of the legend. I prefer vampires as a demonic (rather than physical) affliction, or a curse, or the result of some pact with evil. In other words I prefer it as something supernatural.

And I think that fits UO the best.

But that's just me, of course....Clearly lots disagree as that version of the legend is extremely popular.

-Galen's player

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I frankly find this to be an inferior, if understandable, version of the legend. I prefer vampires as a demonic (rather than physical) affliction, or a curse, or the result of some pact with evil. In other words I prefer it as something supernatural.

And I think that fits UO the best.

But that's just me, of course....Clearly lots disagree as that version of the legend is extremely popular.

-Galen's player
Depending on how you look at it, or how you portray it, it can be both. For CoD, like Pand says, its an "opportunistic evil spirit" that inhabited Akasha thus making her a vampire. But to someone of no belief in evil spirits, it could be an affliction.

:)

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read that the notion of vampirism, at least, as a kind of disease, in the physical sense, dates to a novel which I've never read called I Am Legend. This book has been adapted to film at least 3 times, see here, here, and here. And God knows the notion has appeared in other vehicles, such as Blade.
Oh that's such a good novel. The movies do not do it justice in ~ 2 hrs.

I don't think Blade, the movies or the comics/books, got enough credit. I think the ideas behind a "half-breed" are well worth exploring. We've recently added this mix into our in game lore.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on how you look at it, or how you portray it, it can be both. For CoD, like Pand says, its an "opportunistic evil spirit" that inhabited Akasha thus making her a vampire. But to someone of no belief in evil spirits, it could be an affliction.

:)
Or if you look at it from my Aneirin's point of view.

Yer a loony.

He thinks vampires are myths, and those who think they're vampires are deluding themselves (he has a very good in character reason to think that). This is a very good way to be able to interact with everyone supernatural (they're all loonies!), since he doesn't believe a word they say after "I'm a ..." So it doesn't matter to him what your background is, he hates you anyway.

Unless you're a pirate.

Personally, I think more people should take that attitude IC. Out of character, it's still important what you say you are... It helps me understand the stories.

(slightly off topic): But being consistant with the rest of the shard is inconsequential. There could be different forms of vampirism, and those associated with White-Wolf, Anne Rice, Traditional Lore, Bram Stoker, Charlaine Harris or heck, even Twilight could all have different backgrounds, reasons or motives. What matters to me is how it's played out in-game. I wouldn't mind seeing a sparkly vampire, so long as it was played well.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't mind seeing a sparkly vampire, so long as it was played well.
Sparkly vampire? Isn't that Buck Rogers lore? I must say though I have long had a crush on Erin Grey and I would love the opportunity to nibble on her neck.

M

Merci d'Rue

This is all very interesting, being interested in Lycan lore myself I like seeing what input others give.

I want to write articles doing justice to many supernatural beings, like Liches, Vampire, Lycanthropes. Though it is a tough challenge for there is a rainbow of lore, ideals and thoughts between all the people that play them. No portrayal can be said to be wrong, for it is our own personal tastes at work here.

Of course the main thing I have always felt, is to research anything you wish to create, and then let the research be a starting ground, moving to what makes sense to you personally. While there are many great debates on what makes up these characters, if your main goal is to portray them with a sense of realism and the proper weaknesses you will be adding great rp to those around you no matter what lore you decide is your basis.

As for the war between Vampires and Lycans, though I know that there is much lore on this, I personally like to consider that there are many different vampires and Lycans, and my characters reactions will be based on individual meetings between individual roleplayers. Putting a blanket of, all Vampires and Lycans must fight, is just not personally something i choose to do.

However when I get to writing these articles it is not my opinion that matters but all of yours. I would love to talk to all of you to get a good portrayal across the shards of what roleplaying these types of characters can mean! I hope to help many new roleplayers get a good start on what they wish to accomplish to hear it from the experts. Please feel free to pm me with thoughts or ideas.

Take Care all!
Merci

S

siyeng0

Becoming a lich would let you live forever, but it was a cold existance.
Slander!

Lichdom is like ethical vampirism. It gives you all the perks of eternal life, minus eternal attractiveness, plus the added benefit of not having to feed on the innocent for your continued existence.

I will spruik the joys of lichdom whenever the opportunity arises. Become a lich! The less-glamorous and often unseen third wheel in the endless supernatural feud.

(my lich hates vampires because he thinks they're decadent and amoral, and he hates werewolves because they are inelegant, unpredictable, smelly, and one ate his cat when he was a child; but he hates everybody, so take this with a grain of salt)

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GalenKnighthawke said:
I favor this interpretation of Vampires.

I however would offer that both interpretations - Pestilence (Nosferatu / I Am Legend) and Demonic Pacts (Dracula) - need not be exclusive of one another.

An Alchemist / Scientist might be more apt to interpret Vampirism in the realm of Pestilence and Disease based on the spread of microbes and the mutations inherent in the transformation. A Priest of the Eight Virtues - on the other hand - might be more interested in the Spiritual Implications and how that impacts the characters Salvation and Soul.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or if you look at it from my Aneirin's point of view.

Yer a loony.

He thinks vampires are myths, and those who think they're vampires are deluding themselves (he has a very good in character reason to think that). This is a very good way to be able to interact with everyone supernatural (they're all loonies!), since he doesn't believe a word they say after "I'm a ..." So it doesn't matter to him what your background is, he hates you anyway.

Unless you're a pirate.

Personally, I think more people should take that attitude IC. Out of character, it's still important what you say you are... It helps me understand the stories.

(slightly off topic): But being consistant with the rest of the shard is inconsequential. There could be different forms of vampirism, and those associated with White-Wolf, Anne Rice, Traditional Lore, Bram Stoker, Charlaine Harris or heck, even Twilight could all have different backgrounds, reasons or motives. What matters to me is how it's played out in-game. I wouldn't mind seeing a sparkly vampire, so long as it was played well.
See, that's how it was when we first played --- vampires didn't really exist!!! This made interaction so much better because it truly didn't matter what folks' varying lores were. Now that they are "out of the coffin" or what have you, its very difficult to interact (in my opinion) with folks that have different rulesets in regards to vampires than you do.

GOD IN HEAVEN, let me never run into a sparkly vampire!!!! /puke (And what's sad is I like the Twilight books LOL)

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all very interesting, being interested in Lycan lore myself I like seeing what input others give.

I want to write articles doing justice to many supernatural beings, like Liches, Vampire, Lycanthropes. Though it is a tough challenge for there is a rainbow of lore, ideals and thoughts between all the people that play them. No portrayal can be said to be wrong, for it is our own personal tastes at work here.

Of course the main thing I have always felt, is to research anything you wish to create, and then let the research be a starting ground, moving to what makes sense to you personally. While there are many great debates on what makes up these characters, if your main goal is to portray them with a sense of realism and the proper weaknesses you will be adding great rp to those around you no matter what lore you decide is your basis.

As for the war between Vampires and Lycans, though I know that there is much lore on this, I personally like to consider that there are many different vampires and Lycans, and my characters reactions will be based on individual meetings between individual roleplayers. Putting a blanket of, all Vampires and Lycans must fight, is just not personally something i choose to do.

However when I get to writing these articles it is not my opinion that matters but all of yours. I would love to talk to all of you to get a good portrayal across the shards of what roleplaying these types of characters can mean! I hope to help many new roleplayers get a good start on what they wish to accomplish to hear it from the experts. Please feel free to pm me with thoughts or ideas.

Take Care all!
Merci

Merci, always insightful posts! Thank you.

In CoD, as of very recently, we're actually combining the vampires and lycans in an unique way borrowing a bit from the Underworld lore, but taking it PAST those events. I would LOVE to see more writing on the Lycan world... it would help me get ideas that I could put in play in our guild.

M

Merci d'Rue

*Hides the glitter*

Soooo sparklings out...

Just kidding! Laughs maniacally..

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have both a "lycan" and a new "born" vampire on Catskills. I play my werewolf as close as I can to UO lore. I rp'd that he was attacked by one of the ancient hellhounds during the halloween event and I keep the bloody sash equiped all the time.

My vampire. Ehh...I am still searching for lore I'll follow with him. For now I am just rp'ing him as a basic bloodsucker. I have always thought that the old style Nosferatu was closest to true vampire lore,and not alot of silly Hollywood movie lore.To me a vampire is an animated corpse by supernatural means. S/he is not tall,dark and beautiful. It will not "charm your clothes off". It's a predator. It's ugly.It has arms that will reach down to it's knees. It will leap from the shadows to rip your throat out.

A real vampire​

A "pity me" vampire​

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For us, we chose bits and pieces of the White Wolf lore and married it to the Underworld lore of being "BORN" a lycan... and when you come into manhood/womanhood, you are essentially affected by the "first change".

I liked that better for CoD because it would be soooo starkly different than the vampires and half-breeds. Each of our "races" in CoD are pretty different in their origins and how they live.